Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

I want Sloter as the backup QB

A place to discuss the MN Vikings
twgerber

I want Sloter as the backup QB

Post by twgerber »

He has been here long enough.

If he isn't ready to be the backup by now then cut him loose.

Let him move up.
GM Spielman:
  • Record 62-48-2 (.559 winning %)
  • Playoffs 1-3
  • 7 years - reached playoffs 3 times.
  • Winner of the North 2 of last 4 years
Zimmer is 48-33-1
Oscar

Re: I want Sloter as the backup QB

Post by Oscar »

I agree 100% with this!

I want to be able to chant SLOW-TER ...SLOW-TER at all the home games when Cousins can’t move the offense with a shitty OL!

The back up QB is going to play at least 6 games this season when Cousins goes down.
1.10.22: Never Forget! Zimmer and Spielman are done destroying the Vikings Organization!

Still can’t start a thread on this forum! Bozo’s hate the truth!
B-Town

Post by B-Town »

Going into the offseason, I would have preferred a proven backup. With the moves that the Vikings decided to make, I think this makes sense. There's not a free agent QB left that I think could legitimately win any more games than Sloter.
Dayman, Fighter of the Nightman.

Stup up, Abe!
beetlebum71

Post by beetlebum71 »

They need to bring in competition.
B-Town

Post by B-Town »

beetlebum71 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:04 am They need to bring in competition.
Yeah, but what can the Vikes do, considering the cap situation? It seems like they've made their decision to give Sloter a shot.
Dayman, Fighter of the Nightman.

Stup up, Abe!
Ask Not
***Official 2018 Froob Bracket Winner and MNRC HOF Member***

Post by Ask Not »

beetlebum71 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:04 am They need to bring in competition.
Mitch Leidner got a job in the textile industry. Move on already.
Ketchup can be nuancy
cunningham

Post by cunningham »

Maybe this season we will be winning at the end of more games so we can see what Sloter has. Sounds like on paper he has everything, but we haven't seen or heard much from him. I'd prefer we add a mobile quarterback with this offensive line.
hategreenticemase

Post by hategreenticemase »

twgerber wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:12 am He has been here long enough.

Let him move up.
I mostly agree. I'd bring in some sort of competition, but make someone best him out. Bottom line, if cousins goes down we are screwed either way likely.

Either he is ready, or cut bait. That is of course, assuming we don't draft a QB number 1. :mrgreen:
Herky

Post by Herky »

hategreenticemase wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:28 am

Let him move up.
I mostly agree. I'd bring in some sort of competition, but make someone best him out. Bottom line, if cousins goes down we are screwed either way likely.

Either he is ready, or cut bait. That is of course, assuming we don't draft a QB number 1. :mrgreen:
This is correct.
norseman79

Post by norseman79 »

If Cousins get hurt we are screwed? Honestly, how many games would you say Cousins won for us last year? How many games would you say he lost? I think Sloter has shown to be a bit of a risk-taking gunslinger type of a qb, the kind Zimmer would hate. The problem is, unless our offensive line is going to be top 5 in pass protection, whoever is back there is going to have to be creative and able to make things happen, that is not Cousins' m.o. To be honest, if Cousins was to be hurt, I don't think our record would be as impacted as our game plan would likely shift. I would also point out that I do not feel like the Keenum led Vikings would have been as successful with Cousins at qb due to his limitation as a creator and ad libber. Cousins is a solid qb when given good playmakers and a great o-line.
cunningham

Post by cunningham »

norseman79 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:09 am If Cousins get hurt we are screwed? Honestly, how many games would you say Cousins won for us last year? How many games would you say he lost? I think Sloter has shown to be a bit of a risk-taking gunslinger type of a qb, the kind Zimmer would hate. The problem is, unless our offensive line is going to be top 5 in pass protection, whoever is back there is going to have to be creative and able to make things happen, that is not Cousins' m.o. To be honest, if Cousins was to be hurt, I don't think our record would be as impacted as our game plan would likely shift. I would also point out that I do not feel like the Keenum led Vikings would have been as successful with Cousins at qb due to his limitation as a creator and ad libber. Cousins is a solid qb when given good playmakers and a great o-line.
First post. Welcome.

So are you saying you don't want Sloter because Zimmer wouldn't like him because he is a gunslinger? I would think that Zimmer misses Keenum and his ability to create on the fly or ad lib considering that style brought him to the NFC Championship game and his best record here as a coach.

I have zero faith in Cousins. If Sloter could do what Keenum did I would say we should keep him. The conundrum is that it will be hard to make a great 0-line when we are paying Cousins as if he doesn't need one. Linemen are expensive right now and we are spending money elsewhere.
norseman79

Post by norseman79 »

cunningham wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:18 am
norseman79 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:09 am If Cousins get hurt we are screwed? Honestly, how many games would you say Cousins won for us last year? How many games would you say he lost? I think Sloter has shown to be a bit of a risk-taking gunslinger type of a qb, the kind Zimmer would hate. The problem is, unless our offensive line is going to be top 5 in pass protection, whoever is back there is going to have to be creative and able to make things happen, that is not Cousins' m.o. To be honest, if Cousins was to be hurt, I don't think our record would be as impacted as our game plan would likely shift. I would also point out that I do not feel like the Keenum led Vikings would have been as successful with Cousins at qb due to his limitation as a creator and ad libber. Cousins is a solid qb when given good playmakers and a great o-line.
First post. Welcome.

So are you saying you don't want Sloter because Zimmer wouldn't like him because he is a gunslinger? I would think that Zimmer misses Keenum and his ability to create on the fly or ad lib considering that style brought him to the NFC Championship game and his best record here as a coach.

I have zero faith in Cousins. If Sloter could do what Keenum did I would say we should keep him. The conundrum is that it will be hard to make a great 0-line when we are paying Cousins as if he doesn't need one. Linemen are expensive right now and we are spending money elsewhere.
Thanks, used to be on KFAN, was looking for someplace like this.

I think Zimmer is more comfortable with a guy like Cousins who is going to play it safe. He may have missed Keenum's mobility, but I still think in Zim's mind all the qb has to do is take care of the ball and make the smart play. This is true if your defense and run game are at elite levels....and I don't think I need to take this any further.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

While Siemian was not a guy I would want as my starting QB, he had actual NFL starting experience and that is something that has a lot of value, particularly to a NFL coach. So, while you can scoff at Trevor, the fact is we have zero idea if Sloter would be better.

I doubt that the Vikings QB position depth is set in stone at the moment and the probability that another QB is brought is very high.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

Watching people argue about two turds who will never amount to a hill of beans is terrifying.

If you lose Cousins for the year, we are screwed. If one of a Sloter, Siemien etc have to fill in for a couple games, they likely play close to the same.

I could give a fat turd who the backup is.

Give me the cheapest option.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
cunningham

Post by cunningham »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:32 pm Watching people argue about two turds who will never amount to a hill of beans is terrifying.

If you lose Cousins for the year, we are screwed. If one of a Sloter, Siemien etc have to fill in for a couple games, they likely play close to the same.

I bet you felt that way at first when Cousins went down and Keenum came in too. Sloter would be too raw if he came in.

2nd round pick for Rosen? Waynes for Rosen straight up?

Who is gonna be the back up then? I would have taken Bortles for sure, but too late. No on Teddy. Could dig up Badford as a back up?
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

cunningham wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:17 pm
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:32 pm Watching people argue about two turds who will never amount to a hill of beans is terrifying.

I bet you felt that way at first when Cousins went down and Keenum came in too. Sloter would be too raw if he came in.

Who is gonna be the back up then? I would have taken Bortles for sure, but too late. No on Teddy. Could dig up Badford as a back up?
They are not trading for Rosen lol. Kirk will be extended after this season.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
cunningham

Post by cunningham »

norseman79 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:37 pm
First post. Welcome.

I think Zimmer is more comfortable with a guy like Cousins who is going to play it safe. He may have missed Keenum's mobility, but I still think in Zim's mind all the qb has to do is take care of the ball and make the smart play. This is true if your defense and run game are at elite levels....and I don't think I need to take this any further.
Never had someone state it that way about Cousins, but I could see that. He is the safe guy in some ways. I think he is too safe to the point where he has analysis paralysis. Others disagree so I won't go into detail, but I feel like playing it safe doesn't win. Keenum was a bit careless with the ball, but the guy was lucky to the point where it sometimes was hard to not just say he was a pretty damn good quarterback. He struggled in Denver, but he also didn't have guys like Thielen or Diggs. My fear is that Cousins doesn't have the mental ability to win meaningful games. Maybe he overthinks it or maybe he just gets nervous. He seems to get more comfortable as the game goes on. The problem is that too often it is too little, too late.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

cunningham wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:21 pm
norseman79 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:37 pm

First post. Welcome.

Never had someone state it that way about Cousins, but I could see that. He is the safe guy in some ways. I think he is too safe to the point where he has analysis paralysis. Others disagree so I won't go into detail, but I feel like playing it safe doesn't win. Keenum was a bit careless with the ball, but the guy was lucky to the point where it sometimes was hard to not just say he was a pretty damn good quarterback. He struggled in Denver, but he also didn't have guys like Thielen or Diggs. My fear is that Cousins doesn't have the mental ability to win meaningful games. Maybe he overthinks it or maybe he just gets nervous. He seems to get more comfortable as the game goes on. The problem is that too often it is too little, too late.
No Keenum only had guy's like Thomas and Sanders. :roll:

It was a lucky year. It happens.

Remember Matt Cassels year in NE and then the Chiefs? You are about to see it with Foles.

Remember Randall Cunningham in 99? Ya, he had the same weapons and he was horrible. Another fluke.

You need to capitalize on those year's though. Nick Foles will never get near a SB again.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
twgerber

Post by twgerber »

Herky wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:05 am
hategreenticemase wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:28 am

Let him move up.

This is correct.
They will bring in competition - like a rookie QB or a young QB that didn't make it on another team. They will have 3 going into the season for sure.

I just want to see them let Sloter truly have a shot at #2 spot. If they had signed Simien (sp?) he wouldn't have had a legit shot.
GM Spielman:
  • Record 62-48-2 (.559 winning %)
  • Playoffs 1-3
  • 7 years - reached playoffs 3 times.
  • Winner of the North 2 of last 4 years
Zimmer is 48-33-1
Tuck ya in

Post by Tuck ya in »

If you care about going deep in the playoffs, then why the fascination with back up Qb's? Unless you have the 1/million backup like Foles or Brady at one point if your starting QB is out for the year you are done. Even if the backup has to spell Cousins for a game or 2 most backups are all in one category, and you'll get the same results because the coaches will rely on the running game and not ask the backup to do much.

Please don't mention the word "groom" a Qb for the future, just not happening. Backups mostly stay backups.
DonaldDouchebag

Post by DonaldDouchebag »

I'm getting "I'M A SLUT FOR SLOTER" t-shirts printed. PM me to place your order.
Like that, y'all, pop some more shit.
PurpleHaze

Post by PurpleHaze »

Oscar wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:24 am I agree 100% with this!

I want to be able to chant SLOW-TER ...SLOW-TER at all the home games when Cousins can’t move the offense with a shitty OL!

The back up QB is going to play at least 6 games this season when Cousins goes down.
ANOTHER thread where no one responds to your trolling?

:lol:
Simpson Get Lifted wrote
Should have been WAY more booing from the home crowd imo. You have to drown out the cheers from Oscar.

Oscar on the Vikes:
"I am all in for a 4th place finish."
cunningham

Post by cunningham »

DonaldDouchebag wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:31 pm I'm getting "I'M A SLUT FOR SLOTER" t-shirts printed. PM me to place your order.
Nice. What would your shirt for Siemien of said?

“You got your Siemien on my shirt?”
Simpson Get Lifted

Post by Simpson Get Lifted »

Huh?
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

Sloter would be fine...the guys been in the league for what, 3 years now? Siemian completely bored me....glad he gone!
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
cunningham

Post by cunningham »

Simpson Get Lifted wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:56 pm

Huh?
I noticed that after it was quoted above. Typo of course... I meant Bradford.

I would bet that Rube was a big Bradford fan too.
Hector

Post by Hector »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:18 pm

I'd have respect for Rick if he trade for Rosen...no line not much for weapons, he's a pretty decent runner too.
cunningham

Post by cunningham »

Hector wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:02 am
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:18 pm

I'd have respect for Rick if he trade for Rosen...no line not much for weapons, he's a pretty decent runner too.
I'd have a heart attack if Rick made that move. Push Cousins to get his crap together against winning teams, 1st rounder as our back up on his rookie contract, and a great prospect if Cousins continues to crap the bed.

Spielman would never do it though because he never wants his quarterback to have legit competition. He'd rather wait to have another Teddy moment and trade a first rounder when everything is falling apart because he has crap back ups. Imagine if we had kept that first rounder we traded and rolled with our back up who won the first few. Bradford should have gotten Rick fired, but Keenum saved his butt the next year. Then he abandons Keenum and does that same damn thing in thinking he knows better than anyone else and is finding another misunderstood quarterback.

My hatred of Rick is because he is too dumb to realize that no one is going to let a franchise quarterback who is worth a damn leave their team. Trading for Alex Smith was the next red flag. I mean, we even played Cousins the year before and saw that he gets behind and then tries to come back against prevent defenses. He's a stat padder that was looking for his big deal. Washington was smart - and Spielman is dumb.

Now Washington has Alex Smith, Keenum, and might draft Haskins. We have Cousins and Sloter.
DonaldDouchebag

Post by DonaldDouchebag »

cunningham wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:40 pm
DonaldDouchebag wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:31 pm I'm getting "I'M A SLUT FOR SLOTER" t-shirts printed. PM me to place your order.

"SERVE ME UP A WARM BATCH OF SIEMIEN!"
Like that, y'all, pop some more shit.
Hector

Post by Hector »

DonaldDouchebag wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:38 am
cunningham wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:40 pm

"SERVE ME UP A WARM BATCH OF SIEMIEN!"
Hah..."There's a lot of Siemien in the Vikings ship"