Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

StTrib:Rick Spielman, Vikings playing with fire given their offseason so far

A place to discuss the MN Vikings
Beef Supreme

Re: StTrib:Rick Spielman, Vikings playing with fire given their offseason so far

Post by Beef Supreme »

See? It's easy. I just traded down a whole bunch and owned the 3rd round!

Just do this, Rick!!!

Round 2 Pick 15 (CAR): Lindstrom, Chris, OG, Boston College (B+)
Round 2 Pick 18: Hockenson, T.J., TE, Iowa (B+)
Round 2 Pick 21 (PHI): Rapp, Taylor, SS, Washington (A+)
Round 3 Pick 5 (JAX): Keke, Kingsley, DT, Texas AM (A)
Round 3 Pick 7 (DEN): McCoy, Erik, OG/C, Texas AM (A-)
Round 3 Pick 13 (CAR): Omenihu, Charles, DE, Texas (A+)
Round 3 Pick 17: Walker, D'Andre, OLB, Georgia (A+)
Round 3 Pick 24 (DET): Adams, Trey, OT, Washington (A+)
Round 3 Pick 35 (LAR): Samuel, Deebo, WR, South Carolina (A+)
Round 4 Pick 18: Bradbury, Garrett, C, North Carolina State (A+)
Round 6 Pick 17: Cheevers, Hamp, CB, Boston College (A+)
Round 6 Pick 36 (COMP): Pollard, Tony, WR/RB, Memphis (A+)
Round 7 Pick 33 (COMP): Gay, Matt, K, Utah (A+)
Round 7 Pick 36 (COMP): Hansen, Justice, QB, Arkansas State (A+)

FYI, B+ for Hockenson and Lidstrom in the 2nd round? GTFO, First-Pick.com!!!
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
Small Hands

Re: StTrib:Rick Spielman, Vikings playing with fire given their offseason so far

Post by Small Hands »

Beef Supreme wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:50 am See? It's easy. I just traded down a whole bunch and owned the 3rd round!

Just do this, Rick!!!

McCoy will go in the second. Bradbury in the mid 4th is a Huge stretch as well, but that would be amazing. Hock is going to Denver at 10 IMO.
Simpson Get Lifted

Post by Simpson Get Lifted »

Oriole81 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:47 am
Simpson Get Lifted wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:46 am
Dude wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:36 am

Sure. I guess where I disagree is that Barr isn't the difference between the Vikings being elite or not.
I'd also disagree that sacrificing a guy or two on defense will cause this massive downfall from a top rated defense to average. Addressing the top 3 offensive issues, OL, run game, and converting 3rd downs DOES move the needle enough.
you can do all that while still retaining Barr though
I'm not panicking, but again, the team has backed itself into corners on multiple fronts now. However, I do believe the coaching staff additions will be huge.

I don't consider Barr to be the sole difference between a top defense, and one that is on par with what Cousins had with Washington.

It's a bit hyperbolic to suggest that he needs an elite defense and an elite OL, and elite everything around him to succeed. He needs a D that is not bottom 3rd.
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

Simpson Get Lifted wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:04 am
Simpson Get Lifted wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:46 am

I'd also disagree that sacrificing a guy or two on defense will cause this massive downfall from a top rated defense to average. Addressing the top 3 offensive issues, OL, run game, and converting 3rd downs DOES move the needle enough.
I'm not panicking, but again, the team has backed itself into corners on multiple fronts now. However, I do believe the coaching staff additions will be huge.

I don't consider Barr to be the sole difference between a top defense, and one that is on par with what Cousins had with Washington.

It's a bit hyperbolic to suggest that he needs an elite defense and an elite OL, and elite everything around him to succeed. He needs a D that is not bottom 3rd.
I don't agree with that, I think winning a SB with a balanced roster is one of the hardest things to do in the league, so that's why I want to keep the defense elite considering our offense is still not going to be an elite unit. Balt, Den and Sea all dominant defenses that took over the SB, that's our model.

But I'm more advocating for us needing to have a 2nd very good LB to keep our defense at the level it's at, not necessarily that it needed to be Barr specifically. I would have been fine had they let Barr walked, used that money on an OL, and then used a high pick on Barr's replacement. But instead using that money to re-sign Barr and then using that same pick to invest more in the OL really accomplishes the same thing at the end of the day, which is what my point from the beginning was.

At least Barr is a pro bowler and his contract will probably age better than Saffold's or other similar OL.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
J Havlicek, M Ginobili, M Richmond
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
H Olajuwon, W Unseld, A Sabonis
Ash Ketchum

Post by Ash Ketchum »

I literally can’t believe there are people in our fanbase who legitimately would rather have Rodger Saffold on this team than Anthony Barr.
Simpson Get Lifted

Oriole81 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:40 am

I don't agree with that, I think winning a SB with a balanced roster is one of the hardest things to do in the league, so that's why I want to keep the defense elite considering our offense is still not going to be an elite unit. Balt, Den and Sea all dominant defenses that took over the SB, that's our model.

But I'm more advocating for us needing to have a 2nd very good LB to keep our defense at the level it's at, not necessarily that it needed to be Barr specifically. I would have been fine had they let Barr walked, used that money on an OL, and then used a high pick on Barr's replacement. But instead using that money to re-sign Barr and then using that same pick to invest more in the OL really accomplishes the same thing at the end of the day, which is what my point from the beginning was.

At least Barr is a pro bowler and his contract will probably age better than Saffold's or other similar OL.
Sure, Barr or someone, I can't disagree with that. However, though I do agree that the model Zim is going for includes an elite defense, and there are historical models for that, there is a caveat.

If you have such a glaring weakness on offense, and one that completely stifles any ability to score points, it really doesn't matter how good your defense is. Offenses are too good these days.

The reason the season went haywire, missing the playoffs, is not because of the defense, and it wasn't Kirk Cousins. The defense was still essentially elite.

The OL was the glaring problem, they couldn't protect, they couldn't establish a run game, and the coaching staff could not adjust. They've theoretically fixed the coaching staff issue. It remains to be seen if the biggest problem gets resolved.
mglviks

Post by mglviks »

Ash Ketchum wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:46 am I literally can’t believe there are people in our fanbase who legitimately would rather have Rodger Saffold on this team than Anthony Barr.
+1
No matter the need. Barr 20x the better player.
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

Simpson Get Lifted wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:52 am

Sure, Barr or someone, I can't disagree with that. However, though I do agree that the model Zim is going for includes an elite defense, and there are historical models for that, there is a caveat.

If you have such a glaring weakness on offense, and one that completely stifles any ability to score points, it really doesn't matter how good your defense is. Offenses are too good these days.

The reason the season went haywire, missing the playoffs, is not because of the defense, and it wasn't Kirk Cousins. The defense was still essentially elite.

The OL was the glaring problem, they couldn't protect, they couldn't establish a run game, and the coaching staff could not adjust. They've theoretically fixed the coaching staff issue. It remains to be seen if the biggest problem gets resolved.
and my whole argument is premised on the fact that the coaching changes and high picks on o-line this year will improve that. I don't have blind confidence that they can pull it off, but it is possible based on the fact that new coaching can make a difference and the draft stacks up well at the positions we need on OL.

Most of our tunes will change if that doesn't happen though.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
J Havlicek, M Ginobili, M Richmond
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
H Olajuwon, W Unseld, A Sabonis
mglviks

Post by mglviks »

Carpenter
Cann
Miller

All couldve been had if we didnt sign Shamar Stephen. That was the mistake.
Simpson Get Lifted

Oriole81 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:55 am
Simpson Get Lifted wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:52 am

and my whole argument is premised on the fact that the coaching changes and high picks on o-line this year will improve that. I don't have blind confidence that they can pull it off, but it is possible based on the fact that new coaching can make a difference and the draft stacks up well at the positions we need on OL.

Most of our tunes will change if that doesn't happen though.
We shall see my friend, and I do believe you're right, the coaching staff should make the biggest difference, and let's hope so.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

mglviks wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:55 am
Ash Ketchum wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:46 am I literally can’t believe there are people in our fanbase who legitimately would rather have Rodger Saffold on this team than Anthony Barr.
+1
No matter the need. Barr 20x the better player.
Agreed. He was the best FA Ol out there. But that doesn't mean he's all that good. I'd say he's solidly above-average, but he's 31 (by the time the season starts) and will be declining. Barr's new contract runs until he's 31. If you're going to spend, spend on youth.

Good players are fantastic values on their rookie deals. They're often fair values on their 2nd contracts (when they cash in). If they get a 3rd contract that is big-money, they usually fail to live up to it.

I don't think Saffold will necessarily play better than a handful of the top interior OL prospects drafted this year. We just have to land them. That's the key. If we do, this team can rebound and be in the mix. If not, the team will fail.

- Isaac Asimov
B-Town

Post by B-Town »

Beef Supreme wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:03 am
B-Town wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:20 am
Beef Supreme wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:16 am Easton is a “promising young guard” now?

If Rick has given him $6M/per, he would have been savaged. Justifiably so.

Rick has a mess on his hands, but overpaying marginal talent does not clean up the mess. It makes a bigger mess over the long term.
This is true, but the team did have an opportunity to bring in reliable players and decided to make Barr the priority. I'd argue that making no moves is as damaging as making the wrong ones.
I agree with your philosophy. But I disagree that keeping the major pieces of a top defense together is a "wrong move."

The "wrong move" that happened was last year guaranteeing Kirk Cousins $84M. But that's over now and is sunk cost. So we need to move on and figure out how to make the best team possible with Cousins on that albatross contract. If you look at his Washington years, he never won more than 9 games despite his gaudy stats and the reason given for that was that Washington's defense let him down. There is evidence for that as during his 4 years as a starter, they averaged out as the 11th best offense in the league and the 23rd best defense. So that explains their 28-35-1 record during those years. Fine.

So we know that Cousins needs a good defense to win. So keep the good defense. Last year, the excuse for going 8-7-1 was a bad OL. The OL was certainly bad. Couldn't run and couldn't protect Cousins. The fact that Cousins has bad pocket presence and low mobility exacerbates the problem, but that's not the point. We have to accept that he's our guy for 2019 and 2020 and need to do the best we can to win with him as he is. He's not going to get any better in those areas. It's why I don't think he's worth $84M, but again, that's a different issue.

So we have to fix the OL. Stipulated. Even if Cousins isn't the guy and we need to move on, the next guy should benefit from a competent OL or we're just setting that guy up for failure too. And that doesn't even consider how bad blocking affects the running game. So there is no argument from me. We have to fix the OL.

But if we do so by gutting the defense, aren't we just re-creating the scenario that Cousins could not win with in Washington?

We have 8 picks in the draft to use or trade to address the OL. We have June cuts to nab a vet stop-gap. We have new coaches that will have a new system and new ways to hopefully reach or "coach up" some of the guys we have now. Some are panicking in March. Work must be done, but there are still many opportunities to do it.
I agree with a lot of what you're saying. The Cousins contract kills flexibility. At the same time, I don't equate letting Barr walk as gutting the defense. If anything, with all of the high picks and $10mil+ contracts, this defense should be able to shed a pro bowl player or 2 and still be Top 8. This is especially true, given the situation on offense. And frankly, if Zimmer can't make a good defense with 6 pro bowlers - at least 1 at every level - then why is he here?
Dayman, Fighter of the Nightman.

Stup up, Abe!
cunningham

Post by cunningham »

Beef is right.

I wasn't against letting Barr walk. That would have freed up a lot of money. Zimmer sees him as essential with his defense so I defer back to Zim.

As far as talking about Cousins in Washington and having poor defenses... My gut feeling, and this might be wrong, but I feel like Cousins struggles early and our defense gets gassed. Drive times were down this season and our defense looked gassed to end the year. For Zimmer's system to work you have to control the time of possession. When Keenum was here and Cook was nearly the entire season and our offensive line was just as sucky we won by sustaining drives. Defilippo was an idiot too. Zimmer said why he fired him and Zimmer was right.

For next year though I just don't see how we are gonna plug a bunch of rookies into the offensive line and make a large improvement. It feels like we are moving backward. The Vikings didn't get the memo that you have to draft your franchise quarterback and build the rest of the team while he is on his rookie deal. Then he gets the payday when you have the team set. No team in the NFL is going to let a franchise quarterback walk away. No team.

Rick Spielman's offensive lines and quarterback choices are extremely questionable at this point.
Simpson Get Lifted

cunningham wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:23 pm Beef is right.

I wasn't against letting Barr walk. That would have freed up a lot of money. Zimmer sees him as essential with his defense so I defer back to Zim.

As far as talking about Cousins in Washington and having poor defenses... My gut feeling, and this might be wrong, but I feel like Cousins struggles early and our defense gets gassed. Drive times were down this season and our defense looked gassed to end the year. For Zimmer's system to work you have to control the time of possession. When Keenum was here and Cook was nearly the entire season and our offensive line was just as sucky we won by sustaining drives. Defilippo was an idiot too. Zimmer said why he fired him and Zimmer was right.

For next year though I just don't see how we are gonna plug a bunch of rookies into the offensive line and make a large improvement. It feels like we are moving backward. The Vikings didn't get the memo that you have to draft your franchise quarterback and build the rest of the team while he is on his rookie deal. Then he gets the payday when you have the team set. No team in the NFL is going to let a franchise quarterback walk away. No team.

Rick Spielman's offensive lines and quarterback choices are extremely questionable at this point.
You are wrong. Glad I could help!
Simpson Get Lifted

B-Town wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:01 pm
Beef Supreme wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:03 am
B-Town wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:20 am

This is true, but the team did have an opportunity to bring in reliable players and decided to make Barr the priority. I'd argue that making no moves is as damaging as making the wrong ones.
I agree with your philosophy. But I disagree that keeping the major pieces of a top defense together is a "wrong move."

The "wrong move" that happened was last year guaranteeing Kirk Cousins $84M. But that's over now and is sunk cost. So we need to move on and figure out how to make the best team possible with Cousins on that albatross contract. If you look at his Washington years, he never won more than 9 games despite his gaudy stats and the reason given for that was that Washington's defense let him down. There is evidence for that as during his 4 years as a starter, they averaged out as the 11th best offense in the league and the 23rd best defense. So that explains their 28-35-1 record during those years. Fine.

So we know that Cousins needs a good defense to win. So keep the good defense. Last year, the excuse for going 8-7-1 was a bad OL. The OL was certainly bad. Couldn't run and couldn't protect Cousins. The fact that Cousins has bad pocket presence and low mobility exacerbates the problem, but that's not the point. We have to accept that he's our guy for 2019 and 2020 and need to do the best we can to win with him as he is. He's not going to get any better in those areas. It's why I don't think he's worth $84M, but again, that's a different issue.

So we have to fix the OL. Stipulated. Even if Cousins isn't the guy and we need to move on, the next guy should benefit from a competent OL or we're just setting that guy up for failure too. And that doesn't even consider how bad blocking affects the running game. So there is no argument from me. We have to fix the OL.

But if we do so by gutting the defense, aren't we just re-creating the scenario that Cousins could not win with in Washington?

We have 8 picks in the draft to use or trade to address the OL. We have June cuts to nab a vet stop-gap. We have new coaches that will have a new system and new ways to hopefully reach or "coach up" some of the guys we have now. Some are panicking in March. Work must be done, but there are still many opportunities to do it.
I agree with a lot of what you're saying. The Cousins contract kills flexibility. At the same time, I don't equate letting Barr walk as gutting the defense. If anything, with all of the high picks and $10mil+ contracts, this defense should be able to shed a pro bowl player or 2 and still be Top 8. This is especially true, given the situation on offense. And frankly, if Zimmer can't make a good defense with 6 pro bowlers - at least 1 at every level - then why is he here?
Kinda like how the Rodgers contract killed Packer flexibility as well. And how the Stafford contract did likewise for the Lions.
Dude

Post by Dude »

This is the gist of where I'm coming from too, but it seems like people are quick to point to Cousin's contract as the only reason for their lack of flexibility and don't bat an eye when Barr is retained at 13.5m/per (I understand the cap hit isn't immediate but it's still something they're going to have to deal with).

I'm not sure what a replacement-level player is at QB, but I would think that the dropoff from Cousins to that would be more vast than what it would be for Barr.
cunningham

Post by cunningham »

Dude wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:53 pm
This is the gist of where I'm coming from too, but it seems like people are quick to point to Cousin's contract as the only reason for their lack of flexibility and don't bat an eye when Barr is retained at 13.5m/per (I understand the cap hit isn't immediate but it's still something they're going to have to deal with).

I'm not sure what a replacement-level player is at QB, but I would think that the dropoff from Cousins to that would be more vast than what it would be for Barr.
I'm not a Barr fan, but his contract is half of what Cousins' is.

I wonder what the drop off would be between Keenum and Cousins? Would we go back to 13-3?
vikesbumeout
***Official Gibby Award Winner - August 2018***

Post by vikesbumeout »

All I know is that if we have one more year with OL exiting as the number one problem its going to be ugly.
Liberals are always so confident in their ideas until history meets up with them
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

I like the way our Oline is shaping up.

We just didn't have the resources to sign a top FA this year. We all knew this going in.

I will say this. I don't get the hype some of you have for Dennison. Like the article states, he's been very mediocre. Read what the Broncos fans etc thought of him.

I like the Kubiak move a lot. I don't think Dennison is anything special though. That also doesn't mean he can't help turn our line around but he's not some stellar O line coach.

My biggest fear is the backup RB position right now. I think we have the "Horses" up front and we have the draft coming around. I predict this will be a top 15-20 Oline.

You better get someone to "Tote the gallon" though. It's no secret that this team success comes from the runner's the running game.

I don't trust Cook to stay healthy. You can say you like Boone etc but he hasn't proven anything.

I don't care how good the Oline is, the defense etc.. The way Zimmer wants to run the ball, if you are left with Boone and Abdullah as your starting backs come Sunday, that's going to be ugly.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
sh1mmyya

Post by sh1mmyya »

Same.

Then they would freak out about needing a LB next year, and blame Rick for not re-signing Barr.
Formally known as Pooperscooper
Never forget page 116
Rip Flip
hategreenticemase

Post by hategreenticemase »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:00 pm I like the way our Oline is shaping up.

We just didn't have the resources to sign a top FA this year. We all knew this going in.

I will say this. I don't get the hype some of you have for Dennison. Like the article states, he's been very mediocre. Read what the Broncos fans etc thought of him.

I like the Kubiak move a lot. I don't think Dennison is anything special though. That also doesn't mean he can't help turn our line around but he's not some stellar O line coach.

My biggest fear is the backup RB position right now. I think we have the "Horses" up front and we have the draft coming around. I predict this will be a top 15-20 Oline.

You better get someone to "Tote the gallon" though. It's no secret that this team success comes from the runner's the running game.

I don't trust Cook to stay healthy. You can say you like Boone etc but he hasn't proven anything.

I don't care how good the Oline is, the defense etc.. The way Zimmer wants to run the ball, if you are left with Boone and Abdullah as your starting backs come Sunday, that's going to be ugly.
This literally is about as good as it gets. "We have the horses up front". :lol:
cunningham

Post by cunningham »

Beef Supreme wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:50 am See? It's easy. I just traded down a whole bunch and owned the 3rd round!

Just do this, Rick!!!

Wow, we picked a guy at #18 that Beef had going in round 4.
Dude

Post by Dude »

cunningham wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:07 am

Just do this, Rick!!!

The site also had Hockinson and Lindstrom as B+ grades as second round picks but they both ended up going in the first half of the first round. I'm not really sure you want to point to that as proof that the Vikings reached.
Joe Bag 'O Donuts

Post by Joe Bag 'O Donuts »

Dude wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:16 am

Just do this, Rick!!!

The site also had Hockinson and Lindstrom as B+ grades as second round picks but they both ended up going in the first half of the first round. I'm not really sure you want to point to that as proof that the Vikings reached.
He lives in the land of make believe, so it's right on par for him to use one of thousands of results from a cute little draft game as proof.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Just do this, Rick!!!

And I got 2 top-15 picks in the second round!

Why don’t they just let me do it?

- Isaac Asimov
cunningham

Post by cunningham »

Beef Supreme wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:29 am

Just do this, Rick!!!

Madden!

When Haskins broke the top 10 it made me frustrated because any other year we could have traded up for him. The guy had 50 TDs and over 4000 yards last season while completing 70% of his passes. He was dropping... Falling... And we took a center. A guy who was 3rd place for the Heisman went 3 spots before us.

Another year, but same BS. Or same RS....
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

cunningham wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:36 am
Beef Supreme wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:29 am

Madden!

When Haskins broke the top 10 it made me frustrated because any other year we could have traded up for him. The guy had 50 TDs and over 4000 yards last season while completing 70% of his passes. He was dropping... Falling... And we took a center. A guy who was 3rd place for the Heisman went 3 spots before us.

Another year, but same BS. Or same RS....
I like the way Haskins throws the ball, but he’s an absolute statue in the pocket.

None of these QBs were well-rounded. All had flaws that they’ll have to overcome.

- Isaac Asimov