Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Cap space used by position for 2019 NFL team

A place to discuss the MN Vikings
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Cap space used by position for 2019 NFL team

Post by RubeTube »

Vikings are 31st in cap space used on the offensive line.

Thoughts?
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Tmoney

Re: Cap space used by position for 2019 NFL team

Post by Tmoney »

At least they arent overpaying for garbage
Head Coach

Post by Head Coach »

Could be because they dont have anybody under contract!

No Remmers, Easton, Compton.

Have 2 guys on their rookie deals, Reiff and a bunch of low paid backups.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Remember a few years ago when we were at the top and the line still sucked?
”Fanaticism is always a sign of repressed doubt.”

- Carl Jung
Herky

Post by Herky »

Beef Supreme wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:17 am Remember a few years ago when we were at the top and the line still sucked?
The line hasn't been good in years.
Da Gas Man

Post by Da Gas Man »

It will be much better next year boys.

Reiff will be better with a decent LG next to him. LG will be a 1st round rookie OR Elf. Center will be Elf or Bradbury. Kline, Collins, or Lindstrom at RG and O'Niell anchoring the right side.

When Reiff goes down, O'Neill will move over and maybe Risner will take over at RT.

It will be great......I hope.
B-Town

Post by B-Town »

Beef Supreme wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:17 am Remember a few years ago when we were at the top and the line still sucked?
Yep, that was the year that they decided to keep Kalil, Loadholt, and Sully, after all had been trending downhill and were coming off of serious injuries. They decided to just keep the guys they had because it was easiest and they wouldn't have to make any hard football decisions.

Seems like the same thing is happening now, but somehow, the OL is even worse.
Dayman, Fighter of the Nightman.

Stup up, Abe!
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

B-Town wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:51 pm
Yep, that was the year that they decided to keep Kalil, Loadholt, and Sully, after all had been trending downhill and were coming off of serious injuries. They decided to just keep the guys they had because it was easiest and they wouldn't have to make any hard football decisions.

We aren't keeping any bad OL players on big contracts. The only big contract we have on the OL is Reiff and he's not ridiculously overpaid for a LT.

And I'd have to look it up, but it's possible that given their contract situations, cutting Loadholt and Sullivan wouldn't have saved much cap space, if any. I think Fusco was part of the problem that year too.

Given how much we were already invested in the OL that year, it was probably tough to justify a significant draft pick investment on top of it. Such is not the case this year.

- Carl Jung
B-Town

Post by B-Town »

Beef Supreme wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:55 pm

We aren't keeping any bad OL players on big contracts. The only big contract we have on the OL is Reiff and he's not ridiculously overpaid for a LT.

And I'd have to look it up, but it's possible that given their contract situations, cutting Loadholt and Sullivan wouldn't have saved much cap space, if any. I think Fusco was part of the problem that year too.

Given how much we were already invested in the OL that year, it was probably tough to justify a significant draft pick investment on top of it. Such is not the case this year.
The issue I was referring to is that, again, the Vikings have decided to keep the guys they have, rather than make tough football decisions and fix the team. Barr, Rudolph, Griffen, and (so far) Waynes over helping the NFL's worst OL. They're trying to catch lightning in a bottle again with the guys that helped them in 2017, instead of making moves that better prepare the team to compete in 2019. It's a repeating theme with this group, as is the defense over offense philosophy.

Stup up, Abe!
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

B-Town wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:15 pm

The issue I was referring to is that, again, the Vikings have decided to keep the guys they have, rather than make tough football decisions and fix the team. Barr, Rudolph, Griffen, and (so far) Waynes over helping the NFL's worst OL. They're trying to catch lightning in a bottle again with the guys that helped them in 2017, instead of making moves that better prepare the team to compete in 2019. It's a repeating theme with this group, as is the defense over offense philosophy.
Okay. I get you.

I'll respond with pointing out that the FA class of O-Linemen wasn't stellar and we still have every opportunity to land much better (and cheaper) talent in the draft than we could have signed.

- Carl Jung
B-Town

Post by B-Town »

Beef Supreme wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:21 pm
B-Town wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:15 pm

Okay. I get you.

I'll respond with pointing out that the FA class of O-Linemen wasn't stellar and we still have every opportunity to land much better (and cheaper) talent in the draft than we could have signed.
I agree that the Vikes still have a chance to help the OL in the draft. The book isn't closed on this offseason yet. I just would have expected priorities to be different going in. There still seems to be a disconnect within the team. Hopefully, I'm wrong.

Stup up, Abe!
Ash Ketchum

Post by Ash Ketchum »

Who’s the #1 spending team at OL?
Why Not Us

Post by Why Not Us »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:43 am Vikings are 31st in cap space used on the offensive line.

Thoughts?
You get what you pay for. That might be a good thing if they had a bunch of draft picks at low dollar amounts but they don't invest draft picks either.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Did the Kline signing bump us up?

- Carl Jung