Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Draft Players Vikings have Officially Interviewed

A place to discuss the MN Vikings
UnFadeable21

Draft Players Vikings have Officially Interviewed

Post by UnFadeable21 »

Vikings interviews so far:

Dalton Risner - OT
Cody Ford - OG
Blake Cashman - LB
Mike Jordan - OG
Trey Pipkins - OT
Charles Omenihu - DE
Greg Little - OT
Chris Lindstrom - OG
Noah Fant - TE
Devine Ozigbo - RB
Isaiah Johnson - CB
Nate Davis - OG
Tytus Howard - OT
Elite Sports Mind featured in Forbes Magazine
UnFadeable21

Re: Draft Players Vikings have Officially Interviewed

Post by UnFadeable21 »

Apparently the Vikings are in love with Chris Lindstrom.

Doogie says they interviewed him at the senior bowl, combine and will be in attendance tomorrow at his pro day.

He’s a zone technician blocker.
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum

Lindstrom in high school. Damn he was skinny, but his technique has always been solid.
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

Cody Ford has always been a beast. Wide frame and pure power. I want him as my first choice.
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

Greg Little is a technique guy and has the typical tackle frame but he doesn't have the strength or toughness I like.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

I've seen plenty of mock drafts that don't have

Ford
Little
Risner
Lindstrom

Any of them going in rd #1
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:27 am I've seen plenty of mock drafts that don't have

Ford
Little
Risner
Lindstrom

Any of them going in rd #1
If the Vikings once again neglect the offensive line and draft something else in round one. I gotta believe they move to the top of round 2 and grab either Risner or Linsdstrom. Both are second round talents IMO. Part of me thinks the Vikings are going to move down and draft Lindstrom too. Unfortunately, I think Ford is out of the question. He'll go top 15. I don't want little.
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

Move down from 18 to the 20’s and get Risner.

Use draft capital back into late first and get Lindstrom.

Boom!!! Let’s play
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

UnFadeable21 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:56 am Move down from 18 to the 20’s and get Risner.

Boom!!! Let’s play
Lindstrom is the better prospect. You wouldn't need to move into the first to get Risner.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Small Hands wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:06 am
UnFadeable21 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:56 am Move down from 18 to the 20’s and get Risner.

Boom!!! Let’s play
Lindstrom is the better prospect. You wouldn't need to move into the first to get Risner.
Agreed, I'm not sure he falls to 50, though. Might need to move up in the 2nd to be sure to get him.

Ideally, we trade back a few spots in the 1st and use the capital acquired there to move up in the 2nd to get Lindstrom. Basically, what fade said, but I'm not sure we go OL in both spots. I think we're looking at a TE or a defensive player in round 1. But that's only acceptable if we make sure we get good OL talent in round 2.
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
norseman79

Post by norseman79 »

I hated the signing of Klien but understand why they had to do it. Honestly, if this draft went exactly the way I wanted - famous words - the Vikes would walk out with Jonah Williams and Chris Lindstrom as your starting guards. Dexter Lawrence to play some DT. And Max Scharping as devlopmental RT.

Trae Waynes trade should net us the needed picks to make this happen, of course players have to be available.
Ash Ketchum

Post by Ash Ketchum »

How erect would I be if they took Ford at 18 and then Lindstrom in a trade up from 50? Very.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

I don't like Risner at all. Last year's Ragnow imo.

I hope that's not the only guy left.

I don't want to spend first two rds on Olinemen. One in either rd #1 or #2.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Ash Ketchum

Post by Ash Ketchum »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:08 pm I don't like Risner at all. Last year's Ragnow imo.

You’re right. I was just dreaming.

Ford is who I want.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Ash Ketchum wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:18 pm
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:08 pm I don't like Risner at all. Last year's Ragnow imo.

You’re right. I was just dreaming.

Ford is who I want.
I would be ecstatic to get Ford or Williams

Content with Lindstrom in rd #1 if they are gone. Even better if they got him rd #2.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Car Ramrod

Post by Car Ramrod »

norseman79 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:49 pm I hated the signing of Klien but understand why they had to do it. Honestly, if this draft went exactly the way I wanted - famous words - the Vikes would walk out with Jonah Williams and Chris Lindstrom as your starting guards. Dexter Lawrence to play some DT. And Max Scharping as devlopmental RT.

Trae Waynes trade should net us the needed picks to make this happen, of course players have to be available.
Williams and Lawrence very possibly could both be gone by pick 18. I don’t see how, even with a Waynes trade, we could have a chance at both. Let alone one of them.
cunningham

Post by cunningham »

Ash Ketchum wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:05 pm How erect would I be if they took Ford at 18 and then Lindstrom in a trade up from 50? Very.
That would be sad.

Getting erect over two drafted linemen is something I would never admit... :oops:

Now a first round quarterback.... :scooter:
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

cunningham wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:59 am
Ash Ketchum wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:05 pm How erect would I be if they took Ford at 18 and then Lindstrom in a trade up from 50? Very.
That would be sad.

Getting erect over two drafted linemen is something I would never admit... :oops:

dude, the QBs in this draft aren't even that good.

I know its fun to think about the creativity you can put together when you have a QB on his rookie contract, but there's not enough evidence to support that a QB that young can come into the league and actually become polished enough to win a SB before that rookie contract is up, which is the only barometer of success.

You can get your team to the playoffs for sure, but most of the young QBs get really exposed in the playoffs eventually. Lamar Jackson, Trubisky, Watson all had terrible playoff performances last year, and Goff looked thoroughly overmatched in the SB. (Mahomes looked good, he's the exception.)

Don't forget that Teddy, Carr, Mariotta, Bortles, RG3, Stafford, Cutler, Kaepernick, Dalton, heck even Mark Sanchez and Vince Young, have all led their teams to the playoffs of recent while on their rookie contracts still, and none qualify as having the career of a true franchise QB. Some significantly lower than that after teams eventually figure them out.

If the biggest selling point for these QBs is the fact that you can hopefully catch lightning in a bottle while they're on a rookie contract, then that's not that much to get excited about considering these prospects are below average historically in my opinion for first round graded QBs.
Last edited by Oriole81 on Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
J Havlicek, M Ginobili, M Richmond
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
H Olajuwon, W Unseld, A Sabonis
norseman79

Post by norseman79 »

Car Ramrod wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:53 am
norseman79 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:49 pm I hated the signing of Klien but understand why they had to do it. Honestly, if this draft went exactly the way I wanted - famous words - the Vikes would walk out with Jonah Williams and Chris Lindstrom as your starting guards. Dexter Lawrence to play some DT. And Max Scharping as devlopmental RT.

Williams and Lawrence very possibly could both be gone by pick 18. I don’t see how, even with a Waynes trade, we could have a chance at both. Let alone one of them.
Williams is the only one I am worried about being gone by 18. Lawrence has been mocked in the late first to early 2nd. As I said, it would require the draft going our way.

Theoretically Williams drops, Waynes and a 4th gets dealt to Colts for the 26th and a 5th and land Lawrence, the least likely drop is Lindstrom to our 2nd, so we would need to be aggressive to move up and grab him. According to draft values moving up to the top of the 2nd would likely cost our 2nd and 3rd.

Given our roster currently, it depends how close we are, but I like the idea of stockpiling young, high picks along both lines in this draft, even at the cost of some picks or players.
Car Ramrod

Post by Car Ramrod »

norseman79 wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:08 am
Car Ramrod wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:53 am

Williams is the only one I am worried about being gone by 18. Lawrence has been mocked in the late first to early 2nd. As I said, it would require the draft going our way.

Theoretically Williams drops, Waynes and a 4th gets dealt to Colts for the 26th and a 5th and land Lawrence, the least likely drop is Lindstrom to our 2nd, so we would need to be aggressive to move up and grab him. According to draft values moving up to the top of the 2nd would likely cost our 2nd and 3rd.

Given our roster currently, it depends how close we are, but I like the idea of stockpiling young, high picks along both lines in this draft, even at the cost of some picks or players.
Lawrence is having his second meeting with the Falcons, could he be in play at 14? He is a freak athletically and size wise, and would fit perfectly next to Jarrett. I just really believe that he will be gone within the first 20 picks. We will have to agree to disagree on him.

Also I am on board for packaging a pick with Waynes in a deal but even with a 4th attached, I think the best we can possibly do is get the Raiders pick at 35 or the Colts at 34. Maybe NY at 37.
norseman79

Post by norseman79 »

Do you think Wilkins would be gone as well? I know he is the higher rated of the two Clemson DT's. Totally fine agreeing to disagree...it is the draft, stupid stuff happens and people drop for god knows what reasons. If it was just talent based, the first 10 picks would be defense, if not more?.
cunningham

Post by cunningham »

Oriole81 wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:27 am
That would be sad.

I know its fun to think about the creativity you can put together when you have a QB on his rookie contract, but there's not enough evidence to support that a QB that young can come into the league and actually become polished enough to win a SB before that rookie contract is up, which is the only barometer of success.

You can get your team to the playoffs for sure, but most of the young QBs get really exposed in the playoffs eventually. Lamar Jackson, Trubisky, Watson all had terrible playoff performances last year, and Goff looked thoroughly overmatched in the SB. (Mahomes looked good, he's the exception.)

Don't forget that Teddy, Carr, Mariotta, Bortles, RG3, Stafford, Cutler, Kaepernick, Dalton, heck even Mark Sanchez and Vince Young, have all led their teams to the playoffs of recent while on their rookie contracts still, and none qualify as having the career of a true franchise QB. Some significantly lower than that after teams eventually figure them out.

If the biggest selling point for these QBs is the fact that you can hopefully catch lightning in a bottle while they're on a rookie contract, then that's not that much to get excited about considering these prospects are below average historically in my opinion for first round graded QBs.
It seems like every year the talk is about how the quarterback class is less than overwhelming. When I was looking at most teams and who their current starting quarterback is most had a first or second round guy they drafted. Teddy fell to us and prior to the combine was the #1 prospect. A guy falling like that never happens. The Packers got lucky when Rodgers fell, but Favre still had quite a few years left. Took balls to draft him when Thompson did. Also led them to another SB win and many playoff appearances. Most teams have been significantly more lucky than us, but we dropped Keenum like a hot potato when he performed for us. Ponder was a reach. TJack was a major reach.

With Ponder he was from a big school, but his W/L record wasn't very good in college. Teddy had a better W/L record and stats in college. He also played in a bowl game and was the most NFL ready (according to experts then). I thought after TJoke, Ponder, and Webb we learned to take a quarterback like Teddy. Then it worked for two years before Teddy's leg fell off. After that we have been trading for retreads. Problem with retreads is that they usually never worked out - unless Spielman thought that if Keenum could look that good just imagine if he brought in quarterback like Cousins?

I really haven't even studied this year's crop of QBs much because I know we are not going QB this year. I wanted Lamar Jackson last draft (maybe because I am a Teddy homer and he came from the same school) and he was sitting right there for us to take. Also interesting that the Ravens traded back into Rd1 for him exactly like we did for Teddy. I'd prefer a quarterback with a little mobility with this line. Not Johnny Football, but someone who can sense pressure.

But we will go O-line. Taking a round 1 guard if they are a total stud makes sense for this draft. Now for round 2.... Or trading that round 2 for Rosen. I'm all for it! Or RB in round 2.
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

cunningham wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:28 pm
Oriole81 wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:27 am

That would be sad.

It seems like every year the talk is about how the quarterback class is less than overwhelming. When I was looking at most teams and who their current starting quarterback is most had a first or second round guy they drafted. Teddy fell to us and prior to the combine was the #1 prospect. A guy falling like that never happens. The Packers got lucky when Rodgers fell, but Favre still had quite a few years left. Took balls to draft him when Thompson did. Also led them to another SB win and many playoff appearances. Most teams have been significantly more lucky than us, but we dropped Keenum like a hot potato when he performed for us. Ponder was a reach. TJack was a major reach.

With Ponder he was from a big school, but his W/L record wasn't very good in college. Teddy had a better W/L record and stats in college. He also played in a bowl game and was the most NFL ready (according to experts then). I thought after TJoke, Ponder, and Webb we learned to take a quarterback like Teddy. Then it worked for two years before Teddy's leg fell off. After that we have been trading for retreads. Problem with retreads is that they usually never worked out - unless Spielman thought that if Keenum could look that good just imagine if he brought in quarterback like Cousins?

I really haven't even studied this year's crop of QBs much because I know we are not going QB this year. I wanted Lamar Jackson last draft (maybe because I am a Teddy homer and he came from the same school) and he was sitting right there for us to take. Also interesting that the Ravens traded back into Rd1 for him exactly like we did for Teddy. I'd prefer a quarterback with a little mobility with this line. Not Johnny Football, but someone who can sense pressure.

But we will go O-line. Taking a round 1 guard if they are a total stud makes sense for this draft. Now for round 2.... Or trading that round 2 for Rosen. I'm all for it! Or RB in round 2.
I get that you don't like Cousins and even though technically he was a 4th rd pick, he's still in that same tier of QBs that includes Rivers, Matt Ryan, Dalton, Carr, Flacco, Alex Smith, Stafford, Eli, Cam; guys that went 1st rd/early 2nd and that are good to really good, but just have not been able to consistently remain elite and make their teams better.
Now they can catch lightning in a bottle one magic year like Cam, Ryan or Flacco did, or Eli twice, but for the most part they are in and out of the playoffs year to year even though they make a ton of money, and the team has to adjust around that.

Cousins is a good QB and there's enough examples there to show that guys in this tier can still lead to a SB if a lot of other things bounce their way, but just because a guy goes in the first round doesn't mean he's going to be a stud. Most end up in this mid tier, good enough to not be considered a bust and have your team flirt with the playoffs regularly, but bad in that they're just good enough to mandate you paying them big money to stay around after rookie deal. So we're in the same boat as a team like the Chargers, even though they drafted Rivers (indirectly) and we signed Cousins in FA.

Now QB is the most important position in all of sports so I would never dog on us for taking a QB if they really believe in him, even if they took one this year at 18, but I just really don't think any in this year's draft are that good. And considering that any decent QB automatically gets overvalued, I would really question why a certain player is even available at 18 in the first place if he's even remotely thought of as a franchise QB prospect. You'd think some team would make a move up for him.

I wouldn't be excited about the pick though.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
J Havlicek, M Ginobili, M Richmond
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
H Olajuwon, W Unseld, A Sabonis
UnFadeable21

Post by UnFadeable21 »

Vikings and Patriots were paying close attention to Lindstrom's pro day this week.
Car Ramrod

Post by Car Ramrod »

norseman79 wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:48 pm Do you think Wilkins would be gone as well? I know he is the higher rated of the two Clemson DT's. Totally fine agreeing to disagree...it is the draft, stupid stuff happens and people drop for god knows what reasons. If it was just talent based, the first 10 picks would be defense, if not more?.
He very well could be, maybe even both. Depends on what team needs are. Lawrence will be a run stuffing nose right away with the potential of being a very disruptive force rushing the passer with more refinement (35 inch arms).
Wilkins is a 3T that has a quick first step and can get to the QB so he does have more value right now. I think both will be good players but think Lawrence has the higher ceiling.

Agree that the first 10+ picks would be defense with the exception of Taylor and Hockenson.
Rodneyking

Post by Rodneyking »

UnFadeable21 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:56 pm Vikings interviews so far:

Dalton Risner - OT
Cody Ford - OG
Blake Cashman - LB
Mike Jordan - OG
Trey Pipkins - OT
Charles Omenihu - DE
Greg Little - OT
Chris Lindstrom - OG