Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Is the first round pick a foregone conclusion?

A place to discuss the MN Vikings
Hector

Is the first round pick a foregone conclusion?

Post by Hector »

Chris Lindstrom

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum

The Vikings are going to his pro day now...third visit.

It's feeling a bit Trae Waynes like.

https://bceagles.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=10177

WT 305 lbs
ANALYST'S REPORTS
LedyardMarinoCrabbs
Pass Protection - Should be noted BC is a run-heavy offense with a lot of play-action, rollouts and non-traditional pass plays, which limits the evaluation of Lindstrom as a true pass protector on an island by himself. When he was in those situations, showed an excellent anchor against power and the quick feet to mirror moves to his edge by more athletic interior defensive linemen.
POA Run Blocking - Fires off the ball low and looks to create movement. Leg drive and pad level are excellent, consistently displaces opponents on vertical blocking schemes and doesn't fall off contact often. Will look to finish, but doesn't get sloppy with his technique, keeping his eyes up and hips engaged to drive through opponents. As a zone blocker, somewhat limited in reaching more explosive techniques, but does a great job to use his hands savvily to inhibit the lateral progress of his assignment.

Functional Strength - Excellent functional strength. Never manhandled 1v1 and consistently able to win first contact and maintain his blocks with grip strength. Frame appears to be equally powerful from upper to lower half. Can gain/maintain control of defenders even when off-balance for a second.
Pass Pro Footwork - Sets up quickly out of his stance, building his house with a strong base. Needs to make sure he keeps his feet active when working in more space as a pass protector. Boston College tight splits and quick passing game limited concerns in this way. Pass sets look clean, but doesn't get the same number of traditional sets as other offensive linemen due to BC run-heavy scheme and simple arial attack.
Strike Timing/Placement -Does a good job fitting his hands inside in pass protection, showing good strikes that stymie upfield progress. Even when he is caught a bit high by a bull rush, can typically fend off his opponent and not give much ground. Does a terrific job staying on contact when a defender gets to his edge, running them up the arc and past the quarterback. When his hands miss in the run game, does a good job to re-set quickly and find leverage points.
Leverage - Fires off low in the run game, but with eyes up. Creates movement with leveraged hands and leg drive. Does a solid job using his leverage to create torque and seal defenders out of gaps. Can arrive at the second level a bit high.
Space Blocking - Moves well to all levels of the field. Good at selling a pass set, delaying a beat and then releasing at full speed to the second level. Can you have nice burst as an offensive lineman? Well, Lindstrom does. Could stand to be more under control and come to balance a little better at the second level. Better angles would help too. Works hard to adjust to his opponent's movement and get at least a piece of him.
Competitive Toughness - Wouldn't describe him as a mauler, but absolutely brings it physically and will keep his legs running through contact to drive opponents off the ball. Full intensity every snap and does look to finish a decent amount of the time. Will look for work when uncovered in pass protection.

Mental Processing - Very good at keeping his eyes active and picking up late blitzers. Didn't see him challenged a ton with twists, but when he was, handled it mostly flawlessly. Smart player who processes quickly and can make adjustments on the fly.
Athleticism/Size - Maybe a little short-armed, but nothing to be concerned about size-wise. Pro-ready build that doesn't appear to need much development. Not an elite athlete for the position, but a good one for sure.

BEST TRAIT - Hand Usage/Strikes
WORST TRAIT - Zone Blocking

RED FLAGS - None
I've watched a good bit of Lindstrom tape over the past two years, and there really isn't much to dislike. He has no major flaws in his game, is extremely consistent in his approach and has the experience needed to make an easy transition to the NFL. Few guards offer his combination of size, movement skills and technique, as Lindstrom rarely loses any 1v1 battles and consistently creates movement in the run game. He may not be an elite prospect, but Lindstrom looks like an immediate starter with enough scheme versatility to work for almost any NFL team.
Ash Ketchum

Re: Is the first round pick a foregone conclusion?

Post by Ash Ketchum »

Worst trait: zone blocking

Lol!
PurpleHaze

Post by PurpleHaze »

Ash Ketchum wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:19 pm Worst trait: zone blocking

Lol!
Haha I was about to say the same thing!!!

Got a good laugh.

I do think he is most likely the pick unless some DT slides. Or Cody Ford :mrgreen:
Simpson Get Lifted wrote
Should have been WAY more booing from the home crowd imo. You have to drown out the cheers from Oscar.

Oscar on the Vikes:
"I am all in for a 4th place finish."
Hector

Post by Hector »

Lol!
The irony wasn't lost on me either but guard has become a ridiculously obvious hole and it doesn't sound like a huge issue for him as such a well rounded prospect. I was hoping for Lawrence, but that's looking like a pipe dream.
cunningham

Post by cunningham »

By not signing anyone it seems forgone that we are taking O-line. What could happen though is that other teams know this and go o-line before us. Could be a run in the few picks before us. Which is why it never is good to go into a draft with needs. We pick the worst players when we pick for need.

Ponder
Treadwell
Troy Williamson when Moss left...

I think we need a stud RB pretty high in the draft. Cook has been injured too much. If he continues that we are screwed right now at that position too.

We are betting on a lot of things going right at this point.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

cunningham wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:36 am By not signing anyone it seems forgone that we are taking O-line. What could happen though is that other teams know this and go o-line before us. Could be a run in the few picks before us. Which is why it never is good to go into a draft with needs. We pick the worst players when we pick for need.

Ponder
Treadwell

I think we need a stud RB pretty high in the draft. Cook has been injured too much. If he continues that we are screwed right now at that position too.

RB might be the worst position in this draft in terms of talent. It's not a good RB draft at all.
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
salamander

Post by salamander »

Lol!
*sigh* I saw that right away too.
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
Deep Purple

Post by Deep Purple »

I think Rick will trade down a few spots and add more juicy draft picks. Lets say we get an additional high second and third round draft pick for trading down in round 1....we can draft Guards, Tackles, TE's and even a DT high in the draft. I love it!
full force five

Post by full force five »

If that's your guy trade down. I don't like undersized guards. Ford is the guy for me.
Herky

Post by Herky »

Lol!
Ouch!
cunningham

Post by cunningham »

Beef Supreme wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:14 am
cunningham wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:36 am By not signing anyone it seems forgone that we are taking O-line. What could happen though is that other teams know this and go o-line before us. Could be a run in the few picks before us. Which is why it never is good to go into a draft with needs. We pick the worst players when we pick for need.

Ponder
Treadwell

RB might be the worst position in this draft in terms of talent. It's not a good RB draft at all.
Agreed. By high I meant round 1 or 2, but I doubt they will all fall to round 2. I'm not trusting Cook at this point. I thought Murray was a good back two seasons ago when we needed him. I'm not sure about the next ones in line here.
Simpson Get Lifted

Post by Simpson Get Lifted »

cunningham wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:30 pm

Ponder
Treadwell

Agreed. By high I meant round 1 or 2, but I doubt they will all fall to round 2. I'm not trusting Cook at this point. I thought Murray was a good back two seasons ago when we needed him. I'm not sure about the next ones in line here.
Where do they fit in the 1st round QB you suggest they pick, which can't be at the end of the 1st round because then that's a 2nd round pick, and also a RB in the 1st or 2nd, then also address the OL in the first or 2nd?
cunningham

Post by cunningham »

Simpson Get Lifted wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:53 pm

Where do they fit in the 1st round QB you suggest they pick, which can't be at the end of the 1st round because then that's a 2nd round pick, and also a RB in the 1st or 2nd, then also address the OL in the first or 2nd?
I grade the needs at RB and QB higher than guard. I know we are not taking a QB in round 1. I know that the RB class is low when two guys from one school are near or at the top of most charts.

I would love for this team to trade a few players to the top of the draft for a quarterback. Everyone says this year's crop sucks. The price for the top one this year is too high. I wanted Jackson last year, but I'm not sold on him. Rosen for a pick would be awesome.

We will have to draft a quarterback next season if Cousins doesn't get us to a playoff win this season. If we miss the playoffs Cousins should be taken out and put down.

The sad thing is that with Cousins contract we are forced to draft players high because of need. I never like that.

I would love to see us draft a quarterback this year in round 1 or 2 if the right guy fell.
Simpson Get Lifted

Post by Simpson Get Lifted »

cunningham wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:59 pm

I grade the needs at RB and QB higher than guard. I know we are not taking a QB in round 1. I know that the RB class is low when two guys from one school are near or at the top of most charts.

I would love for this team to trade a few players to the top of the draft for a quarterback. Everyone says this year's crop sucks. The price for the top one this year is too high. I wanted Jackson last year, but I'm not sold on him. Rosen for a pick would be awesome.

We will have to draft a quarterback next season if Cousins doesn't get us to a playoff win this season. If we miss the playoffs Cousins should be taken out and put down.

The sad thing is that with Cousins contract we are forced to draft players high because of need. I never like that.

I would love to see us draft a quarterback this year in round 1 or 2 if the right guy fell.
That's not why we're expected to draft certain positions early.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Deep Purple wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:57 pm I think Rick will trade down a few spots and add more juicy draft picks. Lets say we get an additional high second and third round draft pick for trading down in round 1....we can draft Guards, Tackles, TE's and even a DT high in the draft. I love it!
You are really overvaluing what you get in a trade down.

Last year, the Seahawks traded down from #18 to #27, almost out of the first round completely, with a 7th round pick, and got back a 3rd and a 6th.

Thats what you get. Not a high 2nd and 3rd.

I think staying at 18 and selecting the tackle that falls to you is probably the best strategy. If Taylor, Ford, or Williams are gone, then think about trading down to a spot to draft the next level of oLine.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

:lol:

Just. Stop.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Philo Beddoe

Post by Philo Beddoe »

If they dont take him, where do you think he will go?

I am pretty sure Vikings are going to trade back and try to get another pick.

Lindstorm should be there in 23-26 range... move back and try to pick up a 3rd rd pick.
Reigning Rube Chat Bracket Champion
Ash Ketchum

Post by Ash Ketchum »

Philo Beddoe wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:40 am If they dont take him, where do you think he will go?

Lindstorm should be there in 23-26 range... move back and try to pick up a 3rd rd pick.
Someone has to be willing to move up for us to trade down.

Will depends on who is available at 18 whether or not that option will be there. It’s not a given just because we want to move down.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

No because there will still be cuts not to mention trade possibilities at the draft. Be hard to bet against OL though.
cunningham

Post by cunningham »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:39 pm

Just. Stop.
Every single year I am begging for them to draft a quarterback - especially when the entire NFL doesn't think we are. Having Jackson as back up quarterback on a rookie deal would be awesome right now and he was sitting there for us to pick.

I know we won't, but every year I watch the draft hoping. Except for 3-4 drafts in the last 20 years we haven't taken a QB in the first few rounds. If Cousins goes down it would be nice to have some hope - instead of what happened when Teddy went down.

I know we won't though. I will get to hear Cousins' cliches all year next year. "You like that!!!"
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

cunningham wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:25 pm

Just. Stop.
Every single year I am begging for them to draft a quarterback - especially when the entire NFL doesn't think we are. Having Jackson as back up quarterback on a rookie deal would be awesome right now and he was sitting there for us to pick.

I know we won't, but every year I watch the draft hoping. Except for 3-4 drafts in the last 20 years we haven't taken a QB in the first few rounds. If Cousins goes down it would be nice to have some hope - instead of what happened when Teddy went down.

I know we won't though. I will get to hear Cousins' cliches all year next year. "You like that!!!"
I used to be the same but for good reason. We always had shit QBs that our front office was scared to ruffle their feathers.

We don't have to worry anymore. We have Kirk Daniel Cousins in the prime of his career.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
bombers3shooter

Post by bombers3shooter »

Just. Stop.

Rick was one of 4 GMs st Haskins pro day today.
Car Ramrod

Post by Car Ramrod »

bombers3shooter wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:39 pm

Just. Stop.

So was Zimmer, of course they wanted to take a look at Haskins and Bosa but they were more than likely there to watch Prince, Jordan, Jones and Campbell.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Ash Ketchum wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:42 am
Philo Beddoe wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:40 am If they dont take him, where do you think he will go?

Will depends on who is available at 18 whether or not that option will be there. It’s not a given just because we want to move down.
No way would I slide back in the draft if one of the top 3 oLine propects are available at 18: Taylor, Ford, Williams.
Ash Ketchum

Post by Ash Ketchum »

mlhouse wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:05 pm
Ash Ketchum wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:42 am

No way would I slide back in the draft if one of the top 3 oLine propects are available at 18: Taylor, Ford, Williams.
Agreed.

And I might even rather pick at 18 and potentially move up from 50.
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

2 of the first 3 picks have GOT to be O-linemen IMHO. Beyond that, I trust Rick!
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
cunningham

Post by cunningham »

Car Ramrod wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:48 pm

So was Zimmer, of course they wanted to take a look at Haskins and Bosa but they were more than likely there to watch Prince, Jordan, Jones and Campbell.
Interesting when looking him up that the Vikings.com page had information on him....
https://www.vikings.com/news/prospect-p ... ne-haskins

I'd love for us to get him. Let him learn behind Cousins for a year or two. When Cousins wants even more money we can plug in the rookie. If Cousins somehow at 31 years old next season all of a sudden stops choking then we trade Haskins for a 1st rounder.

Win-Win...

But we will take a guard and I would assume Haskins will be gone by the time we pick in round 1. If I were Spielman I would do it. Take linemen in round 2 and 3. If Cousins struggles to win games you can put Haskins out there. Winning trumps overspending on Cousins.

Never gonna happen though. Talk is of Redskins trading up with Jets to grab him. Interesting that Cousins former team traded for a new journeyman, have brought in Keenum, and might take Haskins... It is like they learned something from their years of Cousins. Something we will learn two years from now I guess.
Car Ramrod

Post by Car Ramrod »

cunningham wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:08 am

Interesting when looking him up that the Vikings.com page had information on him....

I'd love for us to get him. Let him learn behind Cousins for a year or two. When Cousins wants even more money we can plug in the rookie. If Cousins somehow at 31 years old next season all of a sudden stops choking then we trade Haskins for a 1st rounder.

Win-Win...

But we will take a guard and I would assume Haskins will be gone by the time we pick in round 1. If I were Spielman I would do it. Take linemen in round 2 and 3. If Cousins struggles to win games you can put Haskins out there. Winning trumps overspending on Cousins.

Never gonna happen though. Talk is of Redskins trading up with Jets to grab him. Interesting that Cousins former team traded for a new journeyman, have brought in Keenum, and might take Haskins... It is like they learned something from their years of Cousins. Something we will learn two years from now I guess.
Just in time for Trevor Lawrence!
Hector

Post by Hector »

Car Ramrod wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:23 am
cunningham wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:08 am

Win-Win...

Just in time for Trevor Lawrence!

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum

I heart Jake Fromm next year.
mancini199

Post by mancini199 »

I know our Oline is terrible, but to pigeon hole the team to a line men in the 1st round is completely stupid(Troy Williamson anyone)..Plenty of good line men are not drafted that high