Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Vikings "Going Hard" for Siemian

A place to discuss the MN Vikings
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Vikings "Going Hard" for Siemian

Post by RubeTube »

Being told the Vikings really want Trevor Siemian back to backup Kirk.

That was quite the tongue twister boy's!

This one should be done soon.

Stay tuned!

#Continuity
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Philo Beddoe

Re: Vikings "Going Hard" for Siemian

Post by Philo Beddoe »

He has not really shown me much. If you fix the Offensive Line I would be ok with Sloter being back up.
Reigning Rube Chat Bracket Champion
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Philo Beddoe wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:32 pm He has not really shown me much. If you fix the Offensive Line I would be ok with Sloter being back up.
I will trust the coaches on this one. I definitely get where you are coming from though
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
BBG

Post by BBG »

It has to be Sloter or else I'll kill myself
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Yawn...
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
-Jaymo-

Post by -Jaymo- »

BBG wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:38 pm It has to be Sloter or else I'll kill myself

Please be anybody but Sloter.
Herky

Post by Herky »

I read Zimmer wants a veteran QB to be the #2 and the staff doesn't think Sloter is ready for that yet.
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

Prediction: Sloter outplays Siemian in preseason
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
Deep Purple

Post by Deep Purple »

So why even keep Sloter if he isn't even at the level as a backup QB?? I know one thing for sure is that Trevor is a horrible NFL QB, but that's the kind of QB a constant loser goes for.
D_B_U

Post by D_B_U »

BBG wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:38 pm It has to be Sloter or else I'll kill myself
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

HeHateMe wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:05 pm Prediction: Sloter outplays Siemian in preseason
Preseason?? Preseason?

I would resign Siemian to a resonable contract. He has NFL starting experience and that has a lot of value. But, the market is way out of line and if his numbers are too high, let him walk and get the comp pick for him.
Ash Ketchum

Post by Ash Ketchum »

Double edged sword to have a “good” backup QB.

Most great teams with great QBs would be fucked if their starter was hurt for the majority of the season anyway, so I usually fall on the side of the argument that says spend the money you would spend on a somewhat expensive backup on positions that will help you more.

I do realize that having Keenum as backup in 2017 saved the season, although ultimately it didn’t amount to a Super Bowl.
Ash Ketchum

Post by Ash Ketchum »

Deep Purple wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:22 pm So why even keep Sloter if he isn't even at the level as a backup QB?? I know one thing for sure is that Trevor is a horrible NFL QB, but that's the kind of QB a constant loser goes for.
This is correct.

How many meaningful reps have Sloter got for the Vikings since joining?
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

mlhouse wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:09 pm
HeHateMe wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:05 pm Prediction: Sloter outplays Siemian in preseason
Preseason?? Preseason?

I would resign Siemian to a resonable contract. He has NFL starting experience and that has a lot of value. But, the market is way out of line and if his numbers are too high, let him walk and get the comp pick for him.
Yes, they only played in the preseason and that's my prediction again.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
-Jaymo-

Post by -Jaymo- »

If Cousins goes down, Siemian isn’t going to keep this team afloat. Give it to Sloter and protect the guy you are so worried about having a backup for.
bombers3shooter

Post by bombers3shooter »

Ash Ketchum wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:13 pm Double edged sword to have a “good” backup QB.

Most great teams with great QBs would be fucked if their starter was hurt for the majority of the season anyway, so I usually fall on the side of the argument that says spend the money you would spend on a somewhat expensive backup on positions that will help you more.

I do realize that having Keenum as backup in 2017 saved the season, although ultimately it didn’t amount to a Super Bowl.
It did lead to our best record in 20 years though!
Ash Ketchum

Post by Ash Ketchum »

bombers3shooter wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:28 pm
Ash Ketchum wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:13 pm Double edged sword to have a “good” backup QB.

Right, and I enjoyed the hell out of that season up until Philly, so I do appreciate the effort they put into having a strong backup.

And so I’m torn, but I really think if Cousins goes down for any length of time, the super bowl dream would be dead either way. Better to try to spend that money on something that benefits a healthy Cousins if this is a win now season.
mglviks

Post by mglviks »

Typically I actually like a competent backup.
Unless the starter goes down for the season, which tends to more often be vs just missing a few games. But that what I want a backup for. If needed for a few games more than a season ender.

Playoff is a fine line. And if a QB goes down for 3 games. Perhaps winning 1 or 2 is the difference vs winning none.

Though could catch some lightning in a bottle. Nick Mullens came in for the 9ers and played pretty darn well. If it is just 3 games I would think Sloter would have at least 1 solid game in there. Our defense and rest of team is strong. Maybe we are over qb dependent cause our line is so bad we cant really trust to ever have a true run based game even with a healthy Cook.
bombers3shooter

Post by bombers3shooter »

Ash Ketchum wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:37 pm
bombers3shooter wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:28 pm

Right, and I enjoyed the hell out of that season up until Philly, so I do appreciate the effort they put into having a strong backup.

And so I’m torn, but I really think if Cousins goes down for any length of time, the super bowl dream would be dead either way. Better to try to spend that money on something that benefits a healthy Cousins if this is a win now season.
21 years ago it was also a backup that led us to one of the best offenses ever. 2 backup quarterbacks led us to our 2 greatest win totals ever in the whole franchises history!
DC4MVP

Post by DC4MVP »

I'll still never understand why people are so high on Sloter.

Dude has faced nothing but C level competition his entire career and really hasn't had a pre-season game that makes me think "Huh....I think we have something here...."

Yet, there's people out there that thinks he's going to be something more than a mid-tier backup
Tony Bongwater

Post by Tony Bongwater »

I think more to the point is the quarterback position as a whole. If they dont see Sloter as an efficient backup by now they need to move on. That means adding another prospect., and that shouldn't be taken lightly..

If Sloters not the backup I wouldnt mind seeing them spend a 3rd or 4th on a guy that needed a year or two, releasing Sloter and keeping Siemen..

If Sloters the backup you get a seventh or UFA to throw for the practice squad, and you buy into Kirk longterm.

Decisions.
Slava Ukrijina 💙💛🇺🇦💙💛
Ash Ketchum

Post by Ash Ketchum »

Tony Bongwater wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:06 pm I think more to the point is the quarterback position as a whole. If they dont see Sloter as an efficient backup by now they need to move on. That means adding another prospect., and that shouldn't be taken lightly..

If Sloters not the backup I wouldnt mind seeing them spend a 3rd or 4th on a guy that needed a year or two, releasing Sloter and keeping Siemen..

If Sloters the backup you get a seventh or UFA to throw for the practice squad, and you buy into Kirk longterm.

Decisions.
The problem with the “needs a year or two” guys is that they never see any meaningful reps in practice or games. There are very few starting QBs who were late round developmental guys.
Tony Bongwater

Post by Tony Bongwater »

Ash Ketchum wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:20 pm
Tony Bongwater wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:06 pm I think more to the point is the quarterback position as a whole. If they dont see Sloter as an efficient backup by now they need to move on. That means adding another prospect., and that shouldn't be taken lightly..

Decisions.
The problem with the “needs a year or two” guys is that they never see any meaningful reps in practice or games. There are very few starting QBs who were late round developmental guys.
We're starting one.

But I see your point. Still, say what you will about Siemens, he has game experience. With a decent run game and protection, he might be able to go 3-2 on an easier stretch of games if the defense plays well. If you cant say that of sloter, it makes him useless. Hes a 3rd quarterback. And that could be used on next years developed backup, if nothing else, if Sloter cant do it.

I like the kid, but it's time to be or not to be.
Slava Ukrijina 💙💛🇺🇦💙💛
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

A real "Plot twist" here...

Siemian looks to be joining the Jets.

Vikings now putting the cross hairs on Sean Mannion.

Stay Tuned!
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Hector

Post by Hector »

Again....
hategreenticemase

Post by hategreenticemase »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:40 am A real "Plot twist" here...

Stay Tuned!
Was that something you are being told?

Oh wait,. https://www.turfshowtimes.com/2019/3/19 ... ree-agency

:lol:
cunningham

Post by cunningham »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:31 pm Being told the Vikings really want Trevor Siemian back to backup Kirk.

That was quite the tongue twister boy's!

This one should be done soon.

Stay tuned!

#Continuity
Being told... By Yahoo News like everyone else:
https://sports.yahoo.com/vikings-trying ... 55885.html
The Vikings are attempting to keep backup quarterback Trevor Siemian in Minnesota.

According to Chris Tomasson of the St. Paul Pioneer Press, the Vikings are trying to re-sign Siemian to continue to serve as a backup to starter Kirk Cousins.

The Vikings dealt a fifth-round pick to the Denver Broncos last March to add Siemian to their roster. The Broncos had signed former Vikings starter Case Keenum as their replacement for Siemian as a starter. The Vikings wanted a veteran backup behind Cousins as they attempted to turn an NFC Championship appearance into another deep playoff run.

Siemian ultimately didn’t have to play a single down for the Vikings in 2018.

Siemian started 24 of 25 games players over a two-year stretch as a starter for Denver. He completed 59.3 percent of his passes for 5,686 yards with 30 touchdowns and 24 interceptions.
Although, it looks like he isn't coming back... Mannion? If we had money like the Rams (who have a quarterback on their rookie deal and can spend at will!) we could have had Bortles as the back up. Not a bad back up in my opinion. Don't know anything about this Mannion guy.
The Vikings are in need of a No. 2 quarterback behind Kirk Cousins.

Mike Garafolo of NFL Media reports that the Vikings have interest in Sean Mannion with their backup from last season, Trevor Siemian, scheduled to meet with the Jets on Wednesday.

Mannion is an unrestricted free agent and won’t return to the Rams, who signed Blake Bortles this week.

Mannion, who turns 27 next month, has played 10 games with one start in his career. He did not earn much confidence from the Rams with his 2018 preseason performance, completing 52.2 percent of his passes for 168 yards with a touchdown and two interceptions in three games.

The Rams made him a third-round pick in 2015.

The Vikings dealt a fifth-round pick to the Broncos last March for Siemian, who didn’t play a single down in 2018.

Minnesota reportedly wants him back, but the Vikings are cap-strapped, and Siemian has interest from a few places, according to Garafolo.

Siemian started 24 of 25 games players over a two-year stretch as a starter for Denver. He completed 59.3 percent of his passes for 5,686 yards with 30 touchdowns and 24 interceptions.
salamander

Post by salamander »

I just don't get it. As a starter he had a similar completion % to Kaepernick.
You don't win when your QB can't complete over 60% of their passes consistently.
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
Herky

Post by Herky »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:40 am A real "Plot twist" here...

Stay Tuned!
There is no way Sloter is worse than he is. Yuck.