Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Vikings Sign OG Josh Kline (3-yrs/$15.75 million)

A place to discuss the MN Vikings
mlhouse

Re: Vikings Sign OG Josh Kline (3-yrs/$15.75 million)

Post by mlhouse »

Small Hands wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:25 pm
Ash Ketchum wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:06 pm What a weird take to think it’s ridiculous to move Reiff to guard IF O’Neill and a rookie look ready to take the tackle spots.

I’m curious what specific schematical reasons you could cite that would bring you to that opinion. Perhaps I’m overlooking something.
How did Remmers fair moving to G? Reiff has never played one snap in his professional career at G. What makes you so certain that he's going to do well there? Truth is... He could play well there, but do you want to go into the season with an unknown like that? I don't.
1. Remmers failed at moving to guard because he was a terrible offensive lineman.

2. Guard is a much less demanding position than tackle, and many NFL tackles have played inside before.

3. If the Vikings move to an zone blocking scheme, Reiff's movement skills might make him an outstanding guard. He probably doesn't have good enough movement skills to be a LT, but as a guard he will have above average.

4. MOving Reiff to guard is not like banning him to Siberia. He would obviously be the top tackle backup on the depth chart.

5. Moving him to guard, at least in the offseason workouts would add another level of versatility to the oLine.
hategreenticemase

Re: Vikings Sign OG Josh Kline

Post by hategreenticemase »

Hector wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:56 pm
hategreenticemase wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:47 pm
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:33 pm Moving Reiff to G is as stupid as it gets. Thankfully it won't happen.

Let's move one of the only guys who plays well at the most important position on the line.

Lol.

#LearnDaGame
MLmoron, let this be a lesson to you. When the Village fucking idiot "understands" it, you may want to reconsider your take. :lol:

Now, granted, it could be that he is just "hearing" thats a bad idea.
Except I'm not mlhouse, genius.
Who said you were, dummy? :lol:

MLmoron has had this moronic for months (moving multiple guys to new positions), way before this thread. I wasn't talking to you. Try to follow along.
hategreenticemase

Ash Ketchum wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:06 pm What a weird take to think it’s ridiculous to move Reiff to guard IF O’Neill and a rookie look ready to take the tackle spots.

I’m curious what specific schematical reasons you could cite that would bring you to that opinion. Perhaps I’m overlooking something.
Again with condescending and smug arrogance. You are just smarter and more enlightened than the rest of us dummies. Your last paragraph sums you up perfectly - someone who was probably beat up a lot as a kid. :lol:

The fact that your dumbass can't discern the illogic in drafting a position you don't urgently need (T) to then move two fucking guys to new positions (one of which likely eventually switches to LT but you have no reason to believe he is ready) all to "solve" our horrid G play, is as fucking hilarious as it is moronic.

Taking solid to good play from the 3rd most important position in football and swapping it for a second year guy who has proven nothing - great idea. In fact I'd like to know how many times in the history of the world a starting LT has moved to guard. Went from starter (and solid) to G.

Your smarmy arrogance is fucking nauseating.
twgerber

Post by twgerber »

Small Hands wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:25 pm

How did Remmers fair moving to G? Reiff has never played one snap in his professional career at G. What makes you so certain that he's going to do well there? Truth is... He could play well there, but do you want to go into the season with an unknown like that? I don't.
I agree with you. It seems too risky a move.
GM Spielman:
  • Record 62-48-2 (.559 winning %)
  • Playoffs 1-3
  • 7 years - reached playoffs 3 times.
  • Winner of the North 2 of last 4 years
Zimmer is 48-33-1
flexbuffchest

Re: Vikings Sign OG Josh Kline (3-yrs/$15 million)

Post by flexbuffchest »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:39 pm
Beef Supreme wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:37 pm
Da Gas Man wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:35 pm

You can find a decent player at those positions in rounds 5-6. Certainly running backs. Third WR? Hockenson will be that. But even without, if I can get an average guard, I prefer that to a third wr
Exactly.

It’s not like lack of a great 3rd WR was the thing holding us back last year!
Or how about that 28th ranked run game?
Need to have faith in Cook. He's been pretty damn good his entire career when he's been on the field. Just has to break that injury bug.
“We will protect the fanbase from Glen Taylor” -Alex Rodriguez.

Marc Lore - “I don’t care if that wrinkly old chicken roaster has a few more hairs on his head than I do, a deal is a deal.”
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

flexbuffchest wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:29 am

Exactly.

Need to have faith in Cook. He's been pretty damn good his entire career when he's been on the field. Just has to break that injury bug.
4.7ypc is very good (and that’s behind the worst OL in the history of professional football). However, only being healthy enough for 200 carries in 2 seasons is the problem.
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
full force five

Post by full force five »

Some of you guys are just miserable. You bitch about the line, they make a move (for an average player who has played will in the past) and still bitch.
hategreenticemase

full force five wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:44 am Some of you guys are just miserable. You bitch about the line, they make a move (for an average player who has played will in the past) and still bitch.
:lol:

I just love this kind of post. Yes, some rubes have very correctly ripped the preposterous allowing - FOR FIVE FUCKING YEARS - one unit being terrible. For allowing one unit to singlehandedly ruin at least two seasons of an otherwise SB caliber roster.

But yep, we should jump up and down over this moron GM doing the same type of slap shit together move that has worked so well in past. How dare anyone "question" that.

I'm not even ripping it. The box they chose to place themselves in (retaining Barr, overpaying EG, not trading a corner and keeping a 7M aging te) is necessitating this sort of move. Hopefully the new smart guys we have know something and made a good choice. It's my only fucking recourse to hope that is the case.

But yeah, sorry, I do not have to celebrate a move that is only necessary because of years of fuckups and an offseason where we CHOSE to not put ourselves in position to have a more surefire fix available to us.
B-Town

Post by B-Town »

full force five wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:44 am Some of you guys are just miserable. You bitch about the line, they make a move (for an average player who has played will in the past) and still bitch.
To be fair, Kline was average, at best, and it doesn't sound like he's been good enough lately. The Vikings prioritized defense, then pulled an OL player off the scrap heap, per usual. That's why people don't like this move.
Dayman, Fighter of the Nightman.

Stup up, Abe!
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

Exactly.

I agree. He started to get comfortable towards the end of the season last year. He should be ok. They do need a good complementary back though. I'm not satisfied with Abdullah as the RB2. Either draft a guy or bring in Powel or someone cheaper like that who can hold the fort for a couple weeks if need be.
Ash Ketchum

Post by Ash Ketchum »

Small Hands wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:35 am

I agree. He started to get comfortable towards the end of the season last year. He should be ok. They do need a good complementary back though. I'm not satisfied with Abdullah as the RB2. Either draft a guy or bring in Powel or someone cheaper like that who can hold the fort for a couple weeks if need be.
The complementary role should be easy enough to fill.

We don’t need Powell or any other veteran free agent, in my opinion.
hategreenticemase

B-Town wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:05 am
To be fair, Kline was average, at best, and it doesn't sound like he's been good enough lately. The Vikings prioritized defense, then pulled an OL player off the scrap heap, per usual. That's why people don't like this move.
It's not even necessarily "people don't like that move". Those of us who are honest and not phony, pontificating jackasses who pretend they are some sort of expert like Ash, should admit they don't know enough about Kline and how he potentially fits in as a potential top 7 guy. I choose to hope and pray Kubiak/Dennison are the real deal and can make lemonade out of less than great lemons. So I honestly don't know.

But I damn sure can rip the last 5 years AND the recent choices which all but force this sort of move. And for fuck sakes, I most certainly don't have to explain why I wouldn't fn celebrate it as some sort of "move". It would be flat out absurd to celebrate, period. :lol:
Dude

Post by Dude »

hategreenticemase wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:54 am
But I damn sure can rip the last 5 years AND the recent choices which all but force this sort of move. And for fuck sakes, I most certainly don't have to explain why I wouldn't fn celebrate it as some sort of "move". It would be flat out absurd to celebrate, period. :lol:
This is the path I'm going down. I'm glad they signed Kline because he's at least proven to be serviceable in the past, but jeezus if it doesn't seem like a half-assed move at their biggest area of need. I'm not pissed that they didn't spend all their money on a free-agent guard, but it sucks that they've put themselves in this position. Now we head into the draft knowing that they NEED to spend high draft resources on inside linemen to become average at best in that area.
Philo Beddoe

Post by Philo Beddoe »

I dont want a tall Guard in front of a slightly below average height QB.
Reigning Rube Chat Bracket Champion
hategreenticemase

Dude wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:50 am
hategreenticemase wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:54 am
This is the path I'm going down. I'm glad they signed Kline because he's at least proven to be serviceable in the past, but jeezus if it doesn't seem like a half-assed move at their biggest area of need. I'm not pissed that they didn't spend all their money on a free-agent guard, but it sucks that they've put themselves in this position. Now we head into the draft knowing that they NEED to spend high draft resources on inside linemen to become average at best in that area.
I am not pissed they didnt "spend all their money on a FA G" either. I have been very clear - we MUST acquire one bona fide quality starting interior lineman prior to the draft. I didnt care if it was a Saffold. I didnt care if it was a lesser expensive guy like Paradis (turns out he was damn affordable). I didnt care if we trade a pick for one. I didnt care if we traded a corner for one. I felt it critical to get one legit guy NOW, so we can do whats best long term for the franchise with our top pick, and not be forced to go OL if it isnt the right move. I was confident the 50pick could net a good starting guy is my point.

So, I am pissed they didnt do that. They had in my opinion, a golden opportunity with trading for Zeitler. Not overly expensive AND we could have paid for his salary by including EG or Waynes on it. I would have been fine sweetening with a pick as well. Price Giants gave up was reasonable. How do we not beat that? Moreso, I am hugely frustrated we didnt do any of the other moves I listed - Paradis was very reasonable. Trade for a legit starter. Do fucking something so you have a lot of flexibility in the draft.

Mostly, however, I am pissed at this - we are a worse team right now today than two months ago. Losing Richardson and having done virtually nothing to address the OL unless this latest move pans out, AND we sit here strapped by the cap. I found the EG contract not all that beneficial. No idea how we are paying our TE 7.6 M. No idea why we have moved Waynes - I guess I assume hasnt been a good enough offer, but its just all disappointing.
Deep Purple

Post by Deep Purple »

The Vikes are actually kinda lucky they landed a decent guard in Kline. Kline may have had a down year but with Denny coaching our OL Mr Kline is a very nice addition. I'm sure the draft will yield another G plus OT and maybe more.....stay tuned.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Deep Purple wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:04 am The Vikes are actually kinda lucky they landed a decent guard in Kline. Kline may have had a down year but with Denny coaching our OL Mr Kline is a very nice addition. I'm sure the draft will yield another G plus OT and maybe more.....stay tuned.
Building depth on the oLine is s simultaneous process to building talent. Although the money to sign a released player is jaw dropping, at least to me, adding Kline to the group of players able to compete for the starting guard spot is solid. If you look at this group of Reiff, Collins, Kline, a Day 2 pick and even perhaps Danny Isadora bouncing back a bit, we will almost certainly upgrade both positions this season.
Dude

Post by Dude »

hategreenticemase wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:59 am we are a worse team right now today than two months ago. Losing Richardson and having done virtually nothing to address the OL unless this latest move pans out, AND we sit here strapped by the cap. I found the EG contract not all that beneficial. No idea how we are paying our TE 7.6 M. No idea why we have moved Waynes - I guess I assume hasnt been a good enough offer, but its just all disappointing.
They're not worse than they were two months ago, but they're not better. Essentially it seems like they're banking on luck- whether through the draft or simply player development- to move from an 8-8 team to a playoff caliber one. I have no issue with that in a vacuum, but when they went all in with Cousins I expected to see more than this.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Dude wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:10 pm
hategreenticemase wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:59 am we are a worse team right now today than two months ago. Losing Richardson and having done virtually nothing to address the OL unless this latest move pans out, AND we sit here strapped by the cap. I found the EG contract not all that beneficial. No idea how we are paying our TE 7.6 M. No idea why we have moved Waynes - I guess I assume hasnt been a good enough offer, but its just all disappointing.
They're not worse than they were two months ago, but they're not better. Essentially it seems like they're banking on luck- whether through the draft or simply player development- to move from an 8-8 team to a playoff caliber one. I have no issue with that in a vacuum, but when they went all in with Cousins I expected to see more than this.
At this point in the off season claiming they are worse off is idiotic and the proper comp is to compare alternative situations, such as losing Anthony Barr.

Based on the cap situation entering the off season we are sitting right where we should be. This was a good year to sit out free agency when the market paid Nick Easton $24 million over 4 years.

We return a solid team that should have several upgrades and to date looks like we have accumulated a3rd round comp pick as well as 3 lower round picks.
Dude

Post by Dude »

mlhouse wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:19 pm We return a solid team that should have several upgrades and to date looks like we have accumulated a3rd round comp pick as well as 3 lower round picks.
Where are the upgrades? They lost Richardson, and they haven't done anything to upgrade their offensive deficiencies.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Dude wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:29 pm
mlhouse wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:19 pm We return a solid team that should have several upgrades and to date looks like we have accumulated a3rd round comp pick as well as 3 lower round picks.
Where are the upgrades? They lost Richardson, and they haven't done anything to upgrade their offensive deficiencies.
Richardson was not an unexpected loss. They are going to need to get performance out of the last two 4th round picks, Johnson and Holmes.

The upgrades will come in the draft and continuing offseason process. Add two day 1/2 picks to the line, draft a dLine guy in the 2nd. We have solid depth in most of the position groups and can address the biggest needs in the draft.
Phrooster

Post by Phrooster »

New talent fresh set of eyes with coaching the o line no dought should be better
twgerber

Post by twgerber »

"should have" .... He didn't say "do have"
GM Spielman:
  • Playoffs 1-3
Zimmer is 48-33-1
Ash Ketchum

Post by Ash Ketchum »

Again, the NFL isn’t as simple as “they were 8-7-1, and didn’t make any major free agent additions, therefore they will go 8-7-1 or 8-8 again.” Improvement from young players, bounce back seasons from key players and improved coaching and countless other variables are in play.

And sorry, regardless of the Keenum mobility angle, the OL played decent in 2017, especially in the run game, which is a big factor in the success in 2017. in 2018, Easton got hurt and Compton had to play a ton, which obviously wasn’t good. Elflein was coming off injury and either wasn’t completely healthy or regressed.

None of the top paid interior lineman went to the playoffs. The Super Bowl champion Patriots had a bunch of mid/late round guys up front.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

Ash Ketchum wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:16 pm Again, the NFL isn’t as simple as “they were 8-7-1, and didn’t make any major free agent additions, therefore they will go 8-7-1 or 8-8 again.” Improvement from young players, bounce back seasons from key players and improved coaching and countless other variables are in play.

And sorry, regardless of the Keenum mobility angle, the OL played decent in 2017, especially in the run game, which is a big factor in the success in 2017. in 2018, Easton got hurt and Compton had to play a ton, which obviously wasn’t good. Elflein was coming off injury and either wasn’t completely healthy or regressed.

None of the top paid interior lineman went to the playoffs. The Super Bowl champion Patriots had a bunch of mid/late round guys up front.
Exactly right, Ash.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Dude

Post by Dude »

twgerber wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:50 pm
Thanks! ml already clarified his response in answer to my question about his post, but I'm glad you came in after the fact to reinforce the fact that I misunderstood him. Your input to this forum continues to be invaluable.
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

Ash Ketchum wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:16 pm Again, the NFL isn’t as simple as “they were 8-7-1, and didn’t make any major free agent additions, therefore they will go 8-7-1 or 8-8 again.” Improvement from young players, bounce back seasons from key players and improved coaching and countless other variables are in play.

They also have a QB that gets rid of the ball extremely fast, and possibly the best OLine coach in league history (Dante Scarnecchia).

Speilman really screwed up when he didn't find a replacement for Berger last offseason. He was actually a good run blocker. Elf was playing at a pro bowl level his rookie year too. Easton was avg at best. Reiff had a career season going. He sustained a injury towards the end of the year, and hasn't been the same since. A lot has to go right for it to be SB level. Reiff has to bounce back, Elf has to bounce back, O'Neil has to avoid the dreaded sophmore slump, they need to draft a plug and play stud LG, and Kline needs to bounce back as well. That's a ton of luck that needs to be on our side.
salamander

Post by salamander »

Sounds like the Titans let him go "to bolster the interior of their o-line". Ouch.
In another effort to bolster the interior of their offensive line, the Titans released right guard Josh Kline on Friday, the team announced.

Kline started 46 games for the Titans since joining the team in 2016. He started all 16 games at right guard last season. Tennessee will save $3.25 million in 2019 cap space by releasing him.
https://www.tennessean.com/story/sports ... 173597002/
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
twgerber

Post by twgerber »

Dude wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:27 pm
twgerber wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:50 pm

Thanks! ml already clarified his response in answer to my question about his post, but I'm glad you came in after the fact to reinforce the fact that I misunderstood him. Your input to this forum continues to be invaluable.
Missed his reply but happy I could help you out :scooter:
GM Spielman:
  • Playoffs 1-3
Zimmer is 48-33-1
hategreenticemase

Dude wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:10 pm
Huh? They lost Richardson and have no money to spend. How are they not worse?