Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Vikings Sign OG Josh Kline (3-yrs/$15.75 million)

A place to discuss the MN Vikings
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Re: Vikings Sign OG Josh Kline (3-yrs/$15 million)

Post by RubeTube »

Ranked #34 amongst Guards since entering the league and now the 28th paid.

Good value here boy's.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

He was a top-30 guard for two season (16 and 17) before being bad last year and getting released.

If he can return to form, he could work out, but this deal does NOT scream, “problem solved” to me.
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Beef Supreme wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:20 pm He was a top-30 guard for two season (16 and 17) before being bad last year and getting released.

If he can return to form, he could work out, but this deal does NOT scream, “problem solved” to me.
Right but we have some other problems on this team also. It's not just the line.

Who is the third WR? Backup RB?
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:22 pm
Beef Supreme wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:20 pm He was a top-30 guard for two season (16 and 17) before being bad last year and getting released.

Right but we have some other problems on this team also. It's not just the line.

Most teams would love to merely have those conundrums.

I’m not worried about those spots.

- Isaac Asimov
Da Gas Man

Post by Da Gas Man »

Beef Supreme wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:29 pm

You can find a decent player at those positions in rounds 5-6. Certainly running backs. Third WR? Hockenson will be that. But even without, if I can get an average guard, I prefer that to a third wr
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Da Gas Man wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:35 pm

You can find a decent player at those positions in rounds 5-6. Certainly running backs. Third WR? Hockenson will be that. But even without, if I can get an average guard, I prefer that to a third wr
Exactly.

It’s not like lack of a great 3rd WR was the thing holding us back last year!

- Isaac Asimov
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Beef Supreme wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:37 pm

Exactly.

Or how about that 28th ranked run game?
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:39 pm

Exactly.

Or how about that 28th ranked run game?
I think drafting some O-Linemen should help with that.

- Isaac Asimov
Ash Ketchum

Re: Vikings Sign OG Josh Kline

Post by Ash Ketchum »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:40 pm
Ash Ketchum wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:39 pm
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:33 pm Moving Reiff to G is as stupid as it gets. Thankfully it won't happen.

Let's move one of the only guys who plays well at the most important position on the line.

Lol.

#LearnDaGame
It could easily happen. It’s already been whispered about, and it’s looking like whichever rookie they take at #18 (if they do) could be a more natural OT.

I’m not calling for Reiff to be moved today, but it’s got to be something the coaches are open to based on how the first round of the draft is looking.

Finally, Reiff is a prime candidate to be let go after 2019, and so I believe it’s even more likely that the Vikings draft an OT prospect rather than focusing strictly on prospects who only play on the interior. You can certainly let the rookie play guard this season, we will just wait and see.
Who's talked about it other than here?
I don’t remember if it was KFAN or who reported that the Vikings admit it’s a possibility. I can find the link when I get home.
Hector

Post by Hector »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:33 pm Moving Reiff to G is as stupid as it gets. Thankfully it won't happen.

Let's move one of the only guys who plays well at the most important position on the line.

Lol.

#LearnDaGame
http://forum.mnrubecentral.com/viewtopi ... 11&t=14406

Apparently I know the game because it was I whom floated the idea after watching Reiff struggle at LT, but he's a good enough athlete to play LG and pretty instinctual, then the Vikings brass floated the idea. If you can move Oneill and draft a RT, this could turn into a pretty good line under Kubiak's tutelage.
hategreenticemase

Post by hategreenticemase »

Lol.

#LearnDaGame
MLmoron, let this be a lesson to you. When the Village fucking idiot "understands" it, you may want to reconsider your take. :lol:

Now, granted, it could be that he is just "hearing" thats a bad idea.
hategreenticemase

Ya think? :lol:

I put about as much stock into profraudfootball rankings as I do into to Rooboob's "scoops" but signing a guy 69th rated guy to a contract that is top 25 is, well, funny.
hategreenticemase

Exactly.

Run the ball well and then be able to play action, and also throw with some time, and 3rd WR will be far less of an issue.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

hategreenticemase wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:49 pm

I put about as much stock into profraudfootball rankings as I do into to Rooboob's "scoops" but signing a guy 69th rated guy to a contract that is top 25 is, well, funny.
Don't believe in ratings......................cite them as your reason to bitch.

Is irony still a thing?
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Thrillkill wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:53 pm

Don't believe in ratings......................cite them as your reason to bitch.

Is irony still a thing?
Ol Ticey Boy isn't the brightest bulb on the tree. :lol:
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
mlhouse

Re: Vikings Sign OG Josh Kline (3-yrs/$15.75 million)

Post by mlhouse »

The offensive line still isn't to the level it needs to be and Kline is obviously a guy we are looking to come in and compete for a guard spot and offer depth.

If I am running the Vikings offensive line, I am still moving Reiff to guard. That would make our guard depth Reiff, Collins, Kline, and with my draft plan, our 3rd round draft pick.

After drafting Cody Ford (Or Taylor or WIlliams), the OT depth is ONeil, Ford, Hill AND REIFF.

I believed in adding a veteran player like Kline that had been cut from their team so I think this is a good first step. From what I have heard, Kline's cap hit against the Vikings this year is about the same as the dead cap the Titans are carrying on their cap after releasing him. While the numbers seem pretty high considering his former team released him, signing him as a released player does not impact our compensatory picks.

What has hurt this offensive line group in the past is that we make a small move, and then leave it at that. But significantly more assets need to be used to address the lack of quality and depth. I still draft an offensive tackle in the first round as a need and BPA pick, and an interior lineman in the 3rd, and use a Day 1 or 2 pick on oLine in each of next two drafts to further build up that depth.
Ash Ketchum

Post by Ash Ketchum »

Is irony still a thing?
It would be fascinating to meet that dude in person. I don’t know if there’s actual mental issues there or not so I hesitate to really make fun of him.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Ash Ketchum wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:20 pm

Is irony still a thing?
It would be fascinating to meet that dude in person. I don’t know if there’s actual mental issues there or not so I hesitate to really make fun of him.
:lol: 8-)
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Corre Ricky Corre

Post by Corre Ricky Corre »

Draft a stud and a solid depth guy and lets role. We HAVE to stay healthy though....
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Corre Ricky Corre wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:15 pm Draft a stud and a solid depth guy and lets role. We HAVE to stay healthy though....
There is a reason you need depth. oLine players take a beating and you need ot be able to role with the next guy up.
Ash Ketchum

Post by Ash Ketchum »

A Reiff/Ford/Elflein/Kline/O’Neill offensive line would be a significant improvement over the same line with Remmers and Compton for 16 games, no matter how you slice it.

If Dalvin stays healthy and the defense turns in another top 10 season, who knows what could happen.

It all depends on what Cousins and the offense can do.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Ash Ketchum wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:25 pm A Reiff/Ford/Elflein/Kline/O’Neill offensive line would be a significant improvement over the same line with Remmers and Compton for 16 games, no matter how you slice it.

If Dalvin stays healthy and the defense turns in another top 10 season, who knows what could happen.

I don't think Ford slips to us but yes, I already like this line better.

Kline is going to be a stud and the price was very fair.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Ash Ketchum

Post by Ash Ketchum »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:33 pm
Ash Ketchum wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:25 pm A Reiff/Ford/Elflein/Kline/O’Neill offensive line would be a significant improvement over the same line with Remmers and Compton for 16 games, no matter how you slice it.

I don’t know that Kline is going to be a stud, but he fits our scheme and he’s been a starter for years for one of the better run attacks in the league during that time. He was a cap casualty more than he was a Remmers/Compton-like departure due to being terrible.

That’s the thing about the ZBS Kubiak uses, you don’t need your guards to be mauling studs. You just need them to understand what to do and do it.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Ash Ketchum wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:37 pm
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:33 pm

I don’t know that Kline is going to be a stud, but he fits our scheme and he’s been a starter for years for one of the better run attacks in the league during that time. He was a cap casualty more than he was a Remmers/Compton-like departure due to being terrible.

That’s the thing about the ZBS Kubiak uses, you don’t need your guards to be mauling studs. You just need them to understand what to do and do it.
He will be the top lineman behind Reiff when the season is over. This guy simply "Takes over" at times.

I'm watching some footage now. So smooth for a big man.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Hector

Post by Hector »

hategreenticemase wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:47 pm

Lol.

#LearnDaGame
MLmoron, let this be a lesson to you. When the Village fucking idiot "understands" it, you may want to reconsider your take. :lol:

Except I'm not mlhouse, genius.
Ash Ketchum

Post by Ash Ketchum »

What a weird take to think it’s ridiculous to move Reiff to guard IF O’Neill and a rookie look ready to take the tackle spots.

I’m curious what specific schematical reasons you could cite that would bring you to that opinion. Perhaps I’m overlooking something.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Hector wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:56 pm

Lol.

#LearnDaGame

Hate's logic is not well formed. I have been suspecting fetal alcohol syndrome, but perhaps that is too high of an estimate for his IQ level.
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

Ash Ketchum wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:06 pm What a weird take to think it’s ridiculous to move Reiff to guard IF O’Neill and a rookie look ready to take the tackle spots.

I’m curious what specific schematical reasons you could cite that would bring you to that opinion. Perhaps I’m overlooking something.
How did Remmers fair moving to G? Reiff has never played one snap in his professional career at G. What makes you so certain that he's going to do well there? Truth is... He could play well there, but do you want to go into the season with an unknown like that? I don't.
Hector

Post by Hector »

mlhouse wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:13 pm

Hate's logic is not well formed. I have been suspecting fetal alcohol syndrome, but perhaps that is too high of an estimate for his IQ level.
Something is off.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Hector wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:29 pm
mlhouse wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:13 pm

Something is off.
:lol:
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master