Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

T.J. Hockenson

A place to discuss the MN Vikings
Car Ramrod

Re: T.J. Hockenson

Post by Car Ramrod »

The Replacements wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:38 am Aren't the odds of Hockenson lasting to the Vikings like 2%?
Yeah probably
Car Ramrod

Post by Car Ramrod »

Small Hands wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:37 am
Car Ramrod wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:27 am
Keith_Morrison wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:51 am

I said it earlier in this thread that if Hockenson is still there at 18 and we draft him, that we’d need to trade back into the 1st round to snag one of the higher rated OL.
I think if one of those guys is there that we would have to select them over Hockenson.

It’s just so risky waiting/hoping for a player to drop so you can try and trade up. And even if that happens, what capitol are we giving up?

If we take Hockenson at 18, that means we will have likely missed out on Taylor, Ford, Williams, Dillard, Bradbury, Lindstrom(the last two I think get selected in the 20’s) We would have to settle for trading up for the next tier of OL like Risner, Jenkins, McCoy, Little. I don’t know if those guys will have the same impact as rookies as the first group or would be worth trading up for.
I want nothing to do with drafting Bradbury or Lindstrom at 18. Massive reaches of Ponder proportions. Those two are second round talents. The first 4 OL you listed would be good at 18 for me. Risner would be a good option in the second. McCoy would be OK as well.
I meant that Bradbury and Lindstrom would be hard to trade up for in the 1st not that we take them at 18.

Bradbury has been considered a 1st round talent for quite some time by the scouting community.

Lindstrom I agree with you seems like a 2nd round talent that will probably get picked at the end of rd 1.
DC4MVP

Post by DC4MVP »

SKOLMN wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:57 am
If there’s no worthwhile olineman at 18 then you either trade up or down to a spot where there’s one worth taking. Getting cute and picking elsewhere and waiting till the next round for one burnt us big time last year where we completely missed the run on lineman in the early 2nd and killed our season, I’d like to not make the same mistake this year.
Once again, you're assuming is easy to just say "OK, nothing here. Let's move back" or "There's a nice OL that'll go around 12, let's move up."

There's a lot of working parts in a draft and moving up/down is one of those. You can't give up obscene draft capitol to move up and you can't give up 18 for next to nothing. Most importantly, you need to find a willing team.

I mean you're right. I'd be all in favor in trading back deeper into the first and picking up a 3rd or later 2nd but if a Hockenson or someone else is falling that's not a lineman that makes for great value, you can't pass it up.

Just because we're taking a lineman in round 1 doesn't mean it'll work out and we need to keep that in mind even though we ALL want a lineman.
Deep Purple

Post by Deep Purple »

Its looking more and more like one of the top rated Tight Ends might end up getting picked by us in round 1 or 2. Its a big need for sure as is lineman on both sides of the ball. I hope we can trade a player for an additional 2nd round pick then.
SKOLMN

Post by SKOLMN »

DC4MVP wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:56 am
If there’s no worthwhile olineman at 18 then you either trade up or down to a spot where there’s one worth taking. Getting cute and picking elsewhere and waiting till the next round for one burnt us big time last year where we completely missed the run on lineman in the early 2nd and killed our season, I’d like to not make the same mistake this year.
Once again, you're assuming is easy to just say "OK, nothing here. Let's move back" or "There's a nice OL that'll go around 12, let's move up."

There's a lot of working parts in a draft and moving up/down is one of those. You can't give up obscene draft capitol to move up and you can't give up 18 for next to nothing. Most importantly, you need to find a willing team.

I mean you're right. I'd be all in favor in trading back deeper into the first and picking up a 3rd or later 2nd but if a Hockenson or someone else is falling that's not a lineman that makes for great value, you can't pass it up.

Just because we're taking a lineman in round 1 doesn't mean it'll work out and we need to keep that in mind even though we ALL want a lineman.
With how common trades happen on draft day I’d have a hard time believing there’s won’t be a worthwhile trade out there if we wanted to make a move, especially for a gm like spielman who almost always makes at least 2 or 3 trades each draft.

If you’re a team still in rebuild or are on the cusp of competing, you can afford to ignore needs and go completely bpa. When you’re a team like the Vikings that’s currently in a Super Bowl window, and tbh is probably closer to the end than the beginning of that window, and has a gaping hole at a starting position, a little more attention needs to be paid towards fixing that hole.

This would be one thing if we’re talking about a randy moss or Adrian Peterson, a hof talent that’s projected to slide to 18. while hockenson looks like he’ll be good is he really going to be the next gronk or kelce? In a league with very few star tight ends is it worth it to draft one high over other needs?
DC4MVP

Post by DC4MVP »

SKOLMN wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:44 am

With how common trades happen on draft day I’d have a hard time believing there’s won’t be a worthwhile trade out there if we wanted to make a move, especially for a gm like spielman who almost always makes at least 2 or 3 trades each draft.

If you’re a team still in rebuild or are on the cusp of competing, you can afford to ignore needs and go completely bpa. When you’re a team like the Vikings that’s currently in a Super Bowl window, and tbh is probably closer to the end than the beginning of that window, and has a gaping hole at a starting position, a little more attention needs to be paid towards fixing that hole.

This would be one thing if we’re talking about a randy moss or Adrian Peterson, a hof talent that’s projected to slide to 18. while hockenson looks like he’ll be good is he really going to be the next gronk or kelce? In a league with very few star tight ends is it worth it to draft one high over other needs?
Trades happen in the first round but trades also don't happen in the first round. How many times do we hear "The ____ tried to make a move but couldn't find a partner to make it happen." Like I said, it's not as easy as saying "OK, let's trade up or down."

Once again, I KNOW we need linemen but I'm not reaching for one. I don't care where the glaring hole is, you still can't take a 2nd round lineman at 18 if you can't move back. Same goes for trading up. Don't trade up for a lineman who doesn't deserve to go there just to take a lineman.

Reaching in a draft can spell disaster and we've seen in as recently as Ponder. Gotta get value regardless of where we pick and who we pick.
SKOLMN

Post by SKOLMN »

DC4MVP wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:25 am

Trades happen in the first round but trades also don't happen in the first round. How many times do we hear "The ____ tried to make a move but couldn't find a partner to make it happen." Like I said, it's not as easy as saying "OK, let's trade up or down."

Once again, I KNOW we need linemen but I'm not reaching for one. I don't care where the glaring hole is, you still can't take a 2nd round lineman at 18 if you can't move back. Same goes for trading up. Don't trade up for a lineman who doesn't deserve to go there just to take a lineman.

Reaching in a draft can spell disaster and we've seen in as recently as Ponder. Gotta get value regardless of where we pick and who we pick.
I guess the main reason why we disagree is you seem to think there won’t be any olineman worth drafting at 18, I see us having a choice of several ones worth drafting there. Cody ford, Bradbury, and Jonah Williams all imo will be available once we’re on the clock. If that’s the case in no way would I be ok drafting hockenson over any of them.
DC4MVP

Post by DC4MVP »

SKOLMN wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:34 pm
DC4MVP wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:25 am

I guess the main reason why we disagree is you seem to think there won’t be any olineman worth drafting at 18, I see us having a choice of several ones worth drafting there. Cody ford, Bradbury, and Jonah Williams all imo will be available once we’re on the clock. If that’s the case in no way would I be ok drafting hockenson over any of them.
I have no idea who's going to be there. There could be, there couldn't be lineman sitting there at 18. That's not why I'm disagreeing.

If there's a worthwhile lineman there YOU TAKE HIM. I don't care if he's the 23th ranked player on the Vikings big board and their 13th best player (say a DE) fell into their laps, you gotta go lineman.

I'm disagreeing because I don't want the Vikings to REACH for a lineman just because they need one. If the next best lineman is ranked 39th on their big board, I don't want them selecting that player just because he's the next best lineman.

I want offensive line but you can't settle for a 2nd round talent at 18 just to take a lineman. If we can trade back and gain some picks, fine but it's not as easy as saying "OK, let's trade back." Rick still needs to get value for the trade back and find a partner who wants somebody with that pick. On the other side, if their next ranked lineman in 39th and they can't move back, then you DON'T take the lineman, you take the highest ranked player.

I don't know what's so hard to understand here. You need to balance need vs. value.
Keith_Morrison

Post by Keith_Morrison »

Keith_Morrison wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:33 am Mock drafts now trending T.J. Hockenson as the pick for the Vikes @18.

Some pundits are comping Hockenson to Travis Kelce.

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum

We desperately OL starters.

Would you be happy with Hockenson @18?
I don’t think he’ll be there for the Vikes @18 but it sure would be sweet if he was.

Side note:
PA has been riding Hock’s Jock all week calling him the most game changing offensive prospect in the draft.
PurpleFloyd

Post by PurpleFloyd »

If he is there then take him. Part of me believes NE will move up to get him.

One way or the other it's stupid to think we need to take an ol in the first. The problem with the ol hasn't been that they haven't had talent, it's that they didn't have the coaching to optimize that talent and Kubiak being on the staff fixes that immediately.

I have zero problem taking an ol at 18 if they are clearly the best player available but to say we need to take someone even if a better players is available is a foolish
In Kwesi we trust.
Keith_Morrison

Post by Keith_Morrison »

PurpleFloyd wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:12 am If he is there then take him. Part of me believes NE will move up to get him.

One way or the other it's stupid to think we need to take an ol in the first. The problem with the ol hasn't been that they haven't had talent, it's that they didn't have the coaching to optimize that talent and Kubiak being on the staff fixes that immediately.

I have zero problem taking an ol at 18 if they are clearly the best player available but to say we need to take someone even if a better players is available is a foolish
Agreed.

Can’t let a stud prospect, like T.J. Hockenson pass you by in the draft solely based on positional need.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

PurpleFloyd wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:12 am If he is there then take him. Part of me believes NE will move up to get him.

How far do you think NE is willing to move up?

I can’t imagine they’d move ahead of us. That would cost a lot and isn’t a Bellichick thing to do.

Instead, they’ll let some other TE fall to then, take him, and he’ll put-produce Hockenson even if he’s not better because of Brady and their system.
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

Keith_Morrison wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:01 am
Keith_Morrison wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:33 am Mock drafts now trending T.J. Hockenson as the pick for the Vikes @18.

Some pundits are comping Hockenson to Travis Kelce.

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum

We desperately OL starters.

Would you be happy with Hockenson @18?
I don’t think he’ll be there for the Vikes @18 but it sure would be sweet if he was.

Side note:
PA has been riding Hock’s Jock all week calling him the most game changing offensive prospect in the draft.
PA may have misspoke, but he said Hockenson will be the best skill position player in the NFL next year. He probably meant "best skill position player from this draft" though.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

If Hock is there at #18 and the Vikings don't take him, Teh Tube is gonna be HOT!!
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

how about instead we just sign Maxx Wiliams?
Keith_Morrison

Post by Keith_Morrison »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:35 pm If Hock is there at #18 and the Vikings don't take him, Teh Tube is gonna be HOT!!
With you, Tube. With you, mang.
JigglyPuff

Post by JigglyPuff »

If Hockenson is available at #18 Vikes take him. Then trade Waynes or Rudolph for a 2nd rounder and draft back to back oline in the 2nd round.
Deep Purple

Post by Deep Purple »

I think the Raiders draft Hock with the 4th pick in the draft. There are several excellent D line and O line prospects that will be available at the Raiders picks #24 and #27. There's only one complete standout TE prospect and the Raiders get him.
cunningham

Post by cunningham »

Deep Purple wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:10 pm I think the Raiders draft Hock with the 4th pick in the draft. There are several excellent D line and O line prospects that will be available at the Raiders picks #24 and #27. There's only one complete standout TE prospect and the Raiders get him.
Not quarterback? I would think they take a quarterback with Keenum and Smith as their other options.

I almost think Hock might fall to us. Too many really great defensive talents and I think 3 quarterbacks will be taken in the top 15 of the draft.
Car Ramrod

Post by Car Ramrod »

cunningham wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:17 pm
Deep Purple wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:10 pm I think the Raiders draft Hock with the 4th pick in the draft. There are several excellent D line and O line prospects that will be available at the Raiders picks #24 and #27. There's only one complete standout TE prospect and the Raiders get him.
Not quarterback? I would think they take a quarterback with Keenum and Smith as their other options.

I almost think Hock might fall to us. Too many really great defensive talents and I think 3 quarterbacks will be taken in the top 15 of the draft.
He is talking about the Raiders, not the Redskins.
salamander

Post by salamander »

The safest pick in this draft is ____________.
McShay: Iowa tight end T.J. Hockenson. Simply put, he's just a complete player. Hockenson plays with toughness and is an incredible athlete with a 6-foot-5 frame. The team that drafts him can line him up inside or outside and then just watch him put up yardage after the catch.
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
The Replacements

Post by The Replacements »

Everyone has a crush on Hockenson and there's no chance the Vikings will get him. Sounds like the dating history of 99.9% of the rubes on this site.