Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

T.J. Hockenson

A place to discuss the MN Vikings
Deep Purple

Re: T.J. Hockenson

Post by Deep Purple »

TJ fills two Major needs on this Vikings roster. A third receiver and a run blocker. No TE on the Vikings roster fits this bill.
Herky

Post by Herky »

Not being biased but he's the best overall TE in the draft. Great pass catcher and blocker. I'd love for Minnesota to draft him.
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

Herky wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:34 am Not being biased but he's the best overall TE in the draft. Great pass catcher and blocker. I'd love for Minnesota to draft him.
They better trade back into the late first and grab Risner or Lindstrom if that's the case.
Deep Purple

Post by Deep Purple »

You kill two major needs on this team by drafting TJ. Not only that you can free up the "other" TE's $7 million dollar salary.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Small Hands wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:36 am
Herky wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:34 am Not being biased but he's the best overall TE in the draft. Great pass catcher and blocker. I'd love for Minnesota to draft him.
They better trade back into the late first and grab Risner or Lindstrom if that's the case.
I don’t think lindstrom goes in the first. Could be wrong. I think it’s 50/50 he falls to 50, but if we go TE in round one, I think we have to be aggressive in round 2 to make sure we get OL help. Maybe sit tight so long as both are on the board and then move up once one is taken? That’s assuming you don’t have another guy you put on the same tier.
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Deep Purple wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:03 am You kill two major needs on this team by drafting TJ. Not only that you can free up the "other" TE's $7 million dollar salary.
If we draft hockenson im not sure it’s a given we cut Rudolph. Having both could be interesting.
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
hategreenticemase

Post by hategreenticemase »

I wish we could have taken care of business and acquired one G already, so we could take a guy like Hockenson if he fell. Guarantee me two quality starting G and I LOVE this pick.
twgerber

Post by twgerber »

hategreenticemase wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:37 pm
I wish we could have taken care of business and acquired one G already, so we could take a guy like Hockenson if he fell. Guarantee me two quality starting G and I LOVE this pick.
Still might be acquiring a guard. And there may be a post June 1 oppotunity too.
GM Spielman:
  • Record 62-48-2 (.559 winning %)
  • Playoffs 1-3
  • 7 years - reached playoffs 3 times.
  • Winner of the North 2 of last 4 years
Zimmer is 48-33-1
Tuck ya in

Post by Tuck ya in »

Side note. Check out the 2013 tightend draft class:

Tyler Eifert
Zach Ertz
Vance McDonald
Travis Kelce
Jordan Reed

:shock:
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

Tuck ya in wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:11 am Side note. Check out the 2013 tightend draft class:

Tyler Eifert
Zach Ertz
Vance McDonald
Travis Kelce
Jordan Reed

:shock:
It'd be more impressive if Eifert and Reed could stay healthy, but two of the top 5 TE's in one draft is pretty damn good.
hategreenticemase

Question - what legit percentage chance is there that Hockenson is there at 18? Is it likely?

This may surprise most, but I'm going to take a different stance here - but it's important to note is solely based on the fucked path we have taken the last two weeks and my concluding that literally the only hope I have for this OL unit being fixed is the new dynamic can work their magic and get this unit to competency. Meaning, with this new stud Kline and Collins, hopefully they can get one to being solid. This debacle has pretty much left that as the only hope. Otherwise, you simply MUST take OL both top picks.

All that said I would fucking love drafting Hockenson. There are several reasons. One, he is an elite player. Those don't grow on trees. Getting an elite player at 18 is HUGE. Secondly, he fills TWO needs. A. We could really use a very good "3rd option" and B. Our run game simply MUST improve. Lastly, it's the one way we can get a third dynamoc option cheaply (cap wise).

I'm all for taking him, but then making fucking sure we get Lindstrom also. If that means moving up to get him, you do that. We MUST get a can't miss G in second.
Car Ramrod

Post by Car Ramrod »

hategreenticemase wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:31 am Question - what legit percentage chance is there that Hockenson is there at 18? Is it likely?

This may surprise most, but I'm going to take a different stance here - but it's important to note is solely based on the fucked path we have taken the last two weeks and my concluding that literally the only hope I have for this OL unit being fixed is the new dynamic can work their magic and get this unit to competency. Meaning, with this new stud Kline and Collins, hopefully they can get one to being solid. This debacle has pretty much left that as the only hope. Otherwise, you simply MUST take OL both top picks.

All that said I would fucking love drafting Hockenson. There are several reasons. One, he is an elite player. Those don't grow on trees. Getting an elite player at 18 is HUGE. Secondly, he fills TWO needs. A. We could really use a very good "3rd option" and B. Our run game simply MUST improve. Lastly, it's the one way we can get a third dynamoc option cheaply (cap wise).

I'm all for taking him, but then making fucking sure we get Libdstrom also. If that means moving up to get him, you do that. We MUST get a can't miss G in second.
I agree with everything you wrote. I think it was Daniel Jeremiah who I read or heard say that Hockenson is one of the best blocking TE he has ever scouted. That would go a long way to improving the run game as well provide a “real” threat at that position that we simply don’t have right now.

It’s basically OL, Ed Oliver, T.J. Hockenson or bust at 18.

If we could somehow get a suitor for Waynes to give us a 2nd, that would really give us more options.

A juicy tid bit was brought up on kfan yesterday. Mayock loved Waynes coming out of Michigan St. They need CB help badly and already have three 1sts (the CB class this year lacks a true stud/sure thing) Maybe package Waynes with a future 5th or 4th for pick 35?
hategreenticemase

Car Ramrod wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:51 am
hategreenticemase wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:31 am Question - what legit percentage chance is there that Hockenson is there at 18? Is it likely?

I'm all for taking him, but then making fucking sure we get Libdstrom also. If that means moving up to get him, you do that. We MUST get a can't miss G in second.
I agree with everything you wrote. I think it was Daniel Jeremiah who I read or heard say that Hockenson is one of the best blocking TE he has ever scouted. That would go a long way to improving the run game as well provide a “real” threat at that position that we simply don’t have right now.

If we could somehow get a suitor for Waynes to give us a 2nd, that would really give us more options.

A juicy tid bit was brought up on kfan yesterday. Mayock loved Waynes coming out of Michigan St. They need CB help badly and already have three 1sts (the CB class this year lacks a true stud/sure thing) Maybe package Waynes with a future 5th or 4th for pick 35?
What team are you referring to? I'd fucking love moving Wayne's.

To he real honest - you nailed it, what's giving me the hard on for Hockenson is exactly what you stated - may be best blocking TE in a long ass time. A guy who can be dynamic in pass game and third option AND great blocker? I can't think of anything else this team could benefit more from (than OL obviously).

I would love this pick.
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

I'm all for taking him, but then making fucking sure we get Lindstrom also. If that means moving up to get him, you do that. We MUST get a can't miss G in second.
He should go top 10. I think the Broncos take him if he's there at 10. The Vikings should run to the podium if he's still there for some crazy reason. They'll have to move up in the second to secure one of the top 3 G's though if that happens. The only way I see it happening is if teams get desperate for edge rushers and reach on a couple after the top 6 edge rushers go. I'm hoping Lock goes before us too. That could open up the possibility of Hock slipping.

I don't under any circumstances take Fant at 18. Too many question marks with him. He got dinged up a lot in college and can't block for shit. That opinion may be different if we didn't have such a glaring need at Guard.
Car Ramrod

Post by Car Ramrod »

hategreenticemase wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:59 am

To he real honest - you nailed it, what's giving me the hard on for Hockenson is exactly what you stated - may be best blocking TE in a long ass time. A guy who can be dynamic in pass game and third option AND great blocker? I can't think of anything else this team could benefit more from (than OL obviously).

I would love this pick.
He was a long time draft analyst (considered one of the best) and now the GM for the Raiders. Already has dealt for AB.
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

Car Ramrod wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:10 am

I would love this pick.
He was a long time draft analyst (considered one of the best) and now the GM for the Raiders. Already has dealt for AB.
Worked as an analyst for the Vikings pre season tv broadcasts for one pre season as well. I like Mayock. I'm not so sure bringing in Burfict to the fold was a smart move though. Dudes a head case. Waynes won't fetch a 2nd round pick. He doesn't have that much value. Concussions and only 1 year left on his deal.
Car Ramrod

Post by Car Ramrod »

Small Hands wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:20 am

I would love this pick.
Worked as an analyst for the Vikings pre season tv broadcasts for one pre season as well. I like Mayock. I'm not so sure bringing in Burfict to the fold was a smart move though. Dudes a head case. Waynes won't fetch a 2nd round pick. He doesn't have that much value. Concussions and only 1 year left on his deal.
Yeah don’t think that was a smart move either.
By himself I agree he won’t fetch a 2nd, that’s why I threw in a future pick to sweeten the deal.
Hector

Post by Hector »

I like both of Iowa's tight ends, it seems Fant was getting more attention during the Penn State game (the only one I watched) but does TJ ever play fullback. I'm just trying to figure out how drafting him would make sense unless he's a Gronk/Sharpe type prospect.

Kittle was a steal- 4.57 40 and I thought I read he gave up one QB pressure in college and was drafted in the fifth round, probably why TJ is getting the appropriate draft grade coming from the same college.
hategreenticemase

I would love this pick.
I apologize. I'm off my game. You fucking listed Mayock right in your damn post and I just missed it. Raiders - now I get it. I actually remember that, he was very high on him. That would be outstanding if we could package Wayne's and a pick for 35.

Good post.
Car Ramrod

Post by Car Ramrod »

hategreenticemase wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:54 am

I would love this pick.
I apologize. I'm off my game. You fucking listed Mayock right in your damn post and I just missed it. Raiders - now I get it. I actually remember that, he was very high on him. That would be outstanding if we could package Wayne's and a pick for 35.

Good post.
No worries, I think the Vikes have to take that deal if it’s offered.

Or we let him walk after this year and probably get a 3rd comp for him (corners always get paid huge money).

Or maybe he is in their long term plans and they sign him to an extension. Hughes still has 4 cheapish years left and when he is ready to sign, Rhodes will be gone or on his way out.

Whatever happens, it will be interesting to see how things shake out.
hategreenticemase

Car Ramrod wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:26 am
hategreenticemase wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:54 am

Good post.
No worries, I think the Vikes have to take that deal if it’s offered.

Or we let him walk after this year and probably get a 3rd comp for him (corners always get paid huge money).

Or maybe he is in their long term plans and they sign him to an extension. Hughes still has 4 cheapish years left and when he is ready to sign, Rhodes will be gone or on his way out.

Whatever happens, it will be interesting to see how things shake out.
Yes, I agree.
DonaldDouchebag

Post by DonaldDouchebag »

Beef Supreme wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:55 am
Deep Purple wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:03 am You kill two major needs on this team by drafting TJ. Not only that you can free up the "other" TE's $7 million dollar salary.
If we draft hockenson im not sure it’s a given we cut Rudolph. Having both could be interesting.
Seems like it takes most TEs a couple years to really catch on in this league.
Like that, y'all, pop some more shit.
Tuck ya in

Post by Tuck ya in »

DonaldDouchebag wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:58 am
That and Kubiak likes 2 Tight end formations.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

I was really "Mulling" this over last night.

I agree, this move helps the line, gives us that dynamic 3rd option we all crave and let's us cut Rudy, freeing up some money.

If Oliver and Sweat are gone, this is my pick at #18.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

Tuck ya in wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:02 pm

you might as well keep Rudolph in this case considering FA is pretty dried up at that point, so not like there's great obvious other uses for that money.
now if they identify a specific target and need the cap space to bring that guy in then it could make sense, but cutting him for the sake of cutting him at that point doesn't seem to be necessary.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
J Havlicek, M Ginobili, M Richmond
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
H Olajuwon, W Unseld, A Sabonis
Tuck ya in

Post by Tuck ya in »

Oriole81 wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:10 pm
Tuck ya in wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:02 pm

you might as well keep Rudolph in this case considering FA is pretty dried up at that point, so not like there's great obvious other uses for that money.
now if they identify a specific target and need the cap space to bring that guy in then it could make sense, but cutting him for the sake of cutting him at that point doesn't seem to be necessary.
At this point I agree keep him, but i would've attempted a restructure by now.
Ash Ketchum

Post by Ash Ketchum »

Would love to do that trade, but if you’re Mayock, you’ve got to realize that there’s going to be better CBs available in 2020, and Trae Waynes himself might be available in 2020 without having to give up #35. Why give up a Top 40 draft pick just for one guaranteed season of Trae Waynes when you could use that pick yourself and still pick up a good CB in free agency in 2020?

The Raiders offseason feels like Gruden made all the splashy free agency signings/trades, and Mayock will be tasked with being the shrewd operator and talent evaluator in the draft with all the picks they have.

If the roles were flipped and the Vikings were coming off a season that earned them the #4 pick in the draft, would we be calling for Rick to give up our second round pick for a 27 year old (not old, but significantly older than a 21 year old rookie) who only has one more season on his deal?

Seems like wishful thinking on our part, and if we’re so excited about getting a second round pick for Waynes, chances are the Raiders wouldn’t do it.
vikesbumeout
***Official Gibby Award Winner - August 2018***

Post by vikesbumeout »

a Hawkeye?!.........No way!!!
Spoiler:
just kidding. If he can help the team win I am for it.
Liberals are always so confident in their ideas until history meets up with them
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

SKOLMN wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:55 am For the record I would love to upgrade from Rudolph, someone more athletic and cheaper would do wonders for his team. That said, the main reason ppl want Rudolph gone is to be able to make better use of the cap space we’d save. Cutting him after the draft is a moot point because there won’t be anyone worth paying at that point in free agency. I wouldn’t mind drafting a tight end early but not at 18, unless Rudolph is let go immediately. That way we can make a competitive offer to Easton, possibly extend some of our own (Alexander, waynes). If Rudolph is still on the roster come draft time I’d have to think he’s on the team for 2019 which would be a poor decision using our 1st rounder on a position that will be a bench warmer
What are you talking about? Sooooo.......there won't be any players to spend his money on but we are going to draft his replacement and................cut him right? So we're the only team allowed to draft a replacement and cut a good player?
Car Ramrod

Post by Car Ramrod »

Ash Ketchum wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:01 pm

Would love to do that trade, but if you’re Mayock, you’ve got to realize that there’s going to be better CBs available in 2020, and Trae Waynes himself might be available in 2020 without having to give up #35. Why give up a Top 40 draft pick just for one guaranteed season of Trae Waynes when you could use that pick yourself and still pick up a good CB in free agency in 2020?

The Raiders offseason feels like Gruden made all the splashy free agency signings/trades, and Mayock will be tasked with being the shrewd operator and talent evaluator in the draft with all the picks they have.

If the roles were flipped and the Vikings were coming off a season that earned them the #4 pick in the draft, would we be calling for Rick to give up our second round pick for a 27 year old (not old, but significantly older than a 21 year old rookie) who only has one more season on his deal?

Seems like wishful thinking on our part, and if we’re so excited about getting a second round pick for Waynes, chances are the Raiders wouldn’t do it.
Yeah totally wishful thinking on our part, but it’s fun to theorize about!

I guess the thinking would be they get him in the building this year and work on an extension for the future?

Also their first three picks will determine if they are believers in Carr or not. If they are convinced they could do a fast rebuild with him at the helm then an experienced corner like Waynes could go a long ways toward their defense and probably better than anybody they can get in the draft.

Or they take Greedy or Baker in the first but I’m not entirely sure either will be as good as Waynes is/can be. And I am a big LSU fan.