Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Revised, knowing what we know now.

A place to discuss the MN Vikings
Beef Supreme

Re: Revised, knowing what we know now.

Post by Beef Supreme »

weimy froob wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:23 pm
Beef Supreme wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:15 pm
weimy froob wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:17 pm

my point is that the team right now doesn't look like it's better than the one that went 8-7-1 last year. i've always believed in the draft and i always believed that you build a team thru the lines. some people here don't believe that. there have even been threads stating that o-lines don't matter any more. i disagree. i think it's the rare QB that can succeed without a superior o-line. the exceptions that prove the rule. on the other hand a superior o-line has allowed many a QB to shine in the post-season. but i digress. the point is that after this first FA splash i think the team is not as good as the one that finished the season last year as a bust in a SB or bust season.
Well. We’re not.

yep. the first line of the OP.

This is PURELY a "where we are at as of now" thread.

not as good as we were last year. that's my opinion too. still time to fix the equation. still a chance RS can pull a rabbit out of the hat.
Fine. But “right now” doesn’t matter. And I was absolutely expecting a quiet FA period and so should have anyone who was paying attention.

Again, I was afraid that we’d have to lose more talent and that didn’t happen. So, yay!
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
Dude

Post by Dude »

Beef Supreme wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:26 pm
Beef Supreme wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:15 pm

Well. We’re not.

not as good as we were last year. that's my opinion too. still time to fix the equation. still a chance RS can pull a rabbit out of the hat.
Fine. But “right now” doesn’t matter. And I was absolutely expecting a quiet FA period and so should have anyone who was paying attention.

Again, I was afraid that we’d have to lose more talent and that didn’t happen. So, yay!
That's fine and all, but at what point do we get to be upset that the Vikings haven't done anything to address the OL? "Quiet free agency" doesn't have to equate to completely ignoring a huge area of need.

I wasn't pounding the table for Saffold by any means, but at some point they need to bring in a veteran or two- it by no means has to be a marquee name. It's encouraging that they're bringing the guy in from Tennessee, but it's also annoying that they haven't done anything to this point aside from cutting Remmers , losing Easton and letting Compton go.

Building through the draft is important, but it's more effective when you can take the best players available. At this point, they're going to have to focus on the offensive line which may lead them to reach for guys just to fill holes. That's what free agency should be for.
Last edited by Dude on Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dude

Post by Dude »

DP :|
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Dude wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:24 am
Beef Supreme wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:26 pm

That's fine and all, but at what point do we get to be upset that the Vikings haven't done anything to address the OL? "Quiet free agency" doesn't have to equate to completely ignoring a huge area of need.
I think anxiety should rise if not much happens in the draft. If we're into camp and still nothing, then we can be upset. Panic mode comes in September.
I wasn't pounding the table for Saffold by any means, but at some point they need to bring in a veteran or two- it by no means has to be a marquee name. It's encouraging that they're bringing the guy in from Tennessee, but it's also annoying that they haven't done anything to this point aside from cutting Remmers , losing Easton and letting Compton go.
Annoying is a fair way to describe it. In the ideal world, it would have been addressed and we could relax and go into the draft with no desperate needs. But that's not our situation.
Building through the draft is important, but it's more effective when you can take the best players available. At this point, they're going to have to focus on the offensive line which may lead them to reach for guys just to fill holes. That's what free agency should be for.
And this plays into one of Rick's strengths. He's been pretty good about moving up and down in the draft to get guys with good perceived value. I realize that if he gets too cute he could be playing with fire and risk missing out on a guy. But that's his problem and his responsibility to manage properly. He signed up for this with the Cousins deal. He cost himself any margin for error. Now he has to perform. It's on him.
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov