Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Questions for draft guru's

A place to discuss the MN Vikings
hategreenticemase

Questions for draft guru's

Post by hategreenticemase »

For the guys who spend entirely too much time breaking down a draft ( :lol: ) - I have a couple questions for you. Please answer the questions specifically to how I am asking them.

For purposes of my using the word "elite" - think of a Zach Martin type. Ie, a guy who you are fairly sure would be an instant pro bowler. Whereas Quentin Nelson would be probably more a "super elite" type.

1. How many elite centers are there in this draft?
2. How many elite guards are there in this draft.
3. Where are those elite G or C projected to be drafted?
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Re: Questions for draft guru's

Post by RubeTube »

Holy lord. How many times can this guy ask the same question. OCD? Maybe get on some meds? Better yet, log out and never start another thread. :thumbsup:

“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Ash Ketchum

Post by Ash Ketchum »

There are no Quenton Nelson-type can’t miss OL prospects in this draft, even at LT. At this point of the year, there seems to be question marks about all of them.

In a way, too, this part of the year before all the idiocy of overanalyzation of the combine and workouts starts is sometimes more telling.

1. The best center in this class is said to be Elgton Jenkins of Mississippi State. Right now he’s said to be a second rounder, but that’s good for a center. Plenty of talk that he’s pretty much a plug-and-play guy from the start. The rest of the guys like McCoy of Texas AM and Jordan from Ohio State all look to be guys that played center part time or just switched over to center and because of that are guys that have potential after a year or two.

One guy like I like is Bradberry from NC State. He’s quick and athletic and did well for a team that had a couple of NFL RBs last year. Former TE in HS.

2. Cody Ford (Oklahoma) right now, is seen as the elite guard prospect because of his size and athleticism combo. He’s almost 340 and can move very well at that size. There’s talk about him being a RT in the NFL, but typically guys that can only play RT or OG and not LT fall in the first round, so the could be in play for the Vikings.

Chris Lindstrom (Boston College) is a guy I’ve liked for a while since I have a cousin attending BC. He’s not from a power school like Alabama or Clemson, but he’s got good technique and a solid blocker. He’s said to have a second round grade right now. I think he could be a Week 1 starter with the right team.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Ash Ketchum wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:33 pm There are no Quenton Nelson-type can’t miss OL prospects in this draft, even at LT. At this point of the year, there seems to be question marks about all of them.

In a way, too, this part of the year before all the idiocy of overanalyzation of the combine and workouts starts is sometimes more telling.

1. The best center in this class is said to be Elgton Jenkins of Mississippi State. Right now he’s said to be a second rounder, but that’s good for a center. Plenty of talk that he’s pretty much a plug-and-play guy from the start. The rest of the guys like McCoy of Texas AM and Jordan from Ohio State all look to be guys that played center part time or just switched over to center and because of that are guys that have potential after a year or two.

One guy like I like is Bradberry from NC State. He’s quick and athletic and did well for a team that had a couple of NFL RBs last year. Former TE in HS.

2. Cody Ford (Oklahoma) right now, is seen as the elite guard prospect because of his size and athleticism combo. He’s almost 340 and can move very well at that size. There’s talk about him being a RT in the NFL, but typically guys that can only play RT or OG and not LT fall in the first round, so the could be in play for the Vikings.

Chris Lindstrom (Boston College) is a guy I’ve liked for a while since I have a cousin attending BC. He’s not from a power school like Alabama or Clemson, but he’s got good technique and a solid blocker. He’s said to have a second round grade right now. I think he could be a Week 1 starter with the right team.
Get ready to repeat it again next week for him.

There isn't anyone in this draft on the Oline where the Vikings are picking that is going to transform this Oline over night.

People wanting to draft a C and start moving Elflien and others out of position are completely moronic. Thankfully, our coaching staff isn't that stupid.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Ash Ketchum

Post by Ash Ketchum »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:38 pm
Ash Ketchum wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:33 pm There are no Quenton Nelson-type can’t miss OL prospects in this draft, even at LT. At this point of the year, there seems to be question marks about all of them.

There isn't anyone in this draft on the Oline where the Vikings are picking that is going to transform this Oline over night.
I don’t think it needs to be transformed.

Remmers and Compton were the biggest issues (along with Elflein, who won’t be replaced), and those two were so bad that even a league average level OG in their place will likely result in huge improvement.

Scheme change could help as well.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Ash Ketchum wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:40 pm
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:38 pm

I don’t think it needs to be transformed.

Remmers and Compton were the biggest issues (along with Elflein, who won’t be replaced), and those two were so bad that even a league average level OG in their place will likely result in huge improvement.

Scheme change could help as well.
I agree. They only need two guy's who can just do their jobs.

I'm probably not going Oline in Rd #1 but we have no clue who's going to be there, jump use the boards etc.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
hategreenticemase

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:20 pm Holy lord. How many times can this guy ask the same question. OCD? Maybe get on some meds? Better yet, log out and never start another thread. :thumbsup:

Couple things.

First, this thread was very specific. It was asking draft questions of "Draft Guru's". It was not directed to narcisstic, racist morons looking for attention. Therefore, not sure why you are jumping in. Believe me, if I ever want to obtain tips on how to draw attention to myself, or how to publicly humilate myself - or how to give a woman a good beating, you will be the first mofo I think of.

Secondly, the irony of you ripping someone else for starting a "moronic thread", well, I gotta be honest, this may be your best work yet today.
hategreenticemase

Ford I'm aware of. Interesting how you are saying limited number of elite guys. That's disappointing.

The C - you fairly sure he lasts to 2nd?

How many can't miss QUALITY starters do you feel there is among G and C class?
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

hategreenticemase wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:01 pm

Ford I'm aware of. Interesting how you are saying limited number of elite guys. That's disappointing.

Not a good draft when it comes to interior guys at the top. Not a good sign for the Vikings who need to upgrade the interior badly. I am wondering if they draft a guard and a center in the middle rounds? People have mentioned the Wisconsin center previously as a good pick, maybe in the 3rd round range?
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
mankatobjr

Post by mankatobjr »

Again.. I am gonna say.. Thats why they should have traded this years first.. for a high second round last year and taken one of the top guys before he was taken.

The whole season would have changed had they had even one guard instead of Tom Compton and/or Remmers

Now they will reach for a Lineman this year. But pay a 1st round money for a 2nd round talent.. where had they made the trade they would have paid 2nd ground money for a 2nd round talent.

Would anyone be surprised if Collins and Easton are 2 of the top 3 guards next year?
"Jobber's all over the board. Sometimes level-headed, sometimes out of this world. It's fun and scary all at the same time." CDM24 (And he is 100% right)

They call me Jobber... I have learn to not only accept it, but embrace it.
hategreenticemase

HeHateMe wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:16 pm

Not a good draft when it comes to interior guys at the top. Not a good sign for the Vikings who need to upgrade the interior badly. I am wondering if they draft a guard and a center in the middle rounds? People have mentioned the Wisconsin center previously as a good pick, maybe in the 3rd round range?
Ok, but when you say "Not a good draft for interior guys at the top" what specifically do you mean? If it lacks elite guys, ie a very likely pro bowl guy - but does have several very likely "quality starter", then that's a different ballgame.

My thought is this. If is an elite G or C (maybe this is only Ford or the C Ash mentioned) I take them if I can. If not, then I want to know how many quality starting G or C there is, and I trade down as far as I can but still guaranteed to get one.
Ash Ketchum

Post by Ash Ketchum »

hategreenticemase wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:33 pm
HeHateMe wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:16 pm

Ok, but when you say "Not a good draft for interior guys at the top" what specifically do you mean? If it lacks elite guys, ie a very likely pro bowl guy - but does have several very likely "quality starter", then that's a different ballgame.

My thought is this. If is an elite G or C (maybe this is only Ford or the C Ash mentioned) I take them if I can. If not, then I want to know how many quality starting G or C there is, and I trade down as far as I can but still guaranteed to get one.
It’s possible that there are any number of All Pro or Pro Bowl caliber guys that can be found later.

If we could identify them without a shadow of a doubt, we’d be very rich people because that’s the key: unearthing these guys and navigating all the guys who won’t pan out.

I already said I love Lindstrom, probably in the second round.

Beyond that, I have no idea, and no one here does either. There’s guys we can watch highlights and replays of and say we like them, but none of us have any better idea than you.
Ash Ketchum

Post by Ash Ketchum »

mankatobjr wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:25 pm Again.. I am gonna say.. Thats why they should have traded this years first.. for a high second round last year and taken one of the top guys before he was taken.

The whole season would have changed had they had even one guard instead of Tom Compton and/or Remmers

Now they will reach for a Lineman this year. But pay a 1st round money for a 2nd round talent.. where had they made the trade they would have paid 2nd ground money for a 2nd round talent.

Would anyone be surprised if Collins and Easton are 2 of the top 3 guards next year?
Trading a first round pick, who turned into Hughes, who could be huge for our defense over the next few years, for a second round guard would not have been great.

Would it have helped us in 2018? Maybe.

Would it have been a smart practice in general?
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

mankatobjr wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:25 pm Again.. I am gonna say.. Thats why they should have traded this years first.. for a high second round last year and taken one of the top guys before he was taken.

It definitely looks like the right choice now.

Would of been sweet to land Hughes, Hernandez and Oneill
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Ash Ketchum

Post by Ash Ketchum »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:31 pm

Hah, I completely misunderstood. I’m stupid.

I would have been fine with trading #18 for Will Hernandez last year if it meant still having Hughes.

We have the benefit of hindsight though.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Ash Ketchum wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:33 pm

I would have been fine with trading #18 for Will Hernandez last year if it meant still having Hughes.

Ya, I don't think we can get anyone as good of a olinemen as Hernandez at #18 this year.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
mankatobjr

Post by mankatobjr »

Ash Ketchum wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:30 pm

Trading a first round pick, who turned into Hughes, who could be huge for our defense over the next few years, for a second round guard would not have been great.

Would it have helped us in 2018? Maybe.

Would it have been a smart practice in general?
Was trading the 2019 1st rund pick.. which will be a guard more than likely anyways.. for a guard in 2018. If you can't see how say James Daniels (Bears) would have helped in 2018 and beyond then I can't help you. The difference between James Daniels and who they will draft at guard this year will be marginal.
"Jobber's all over the board. Sometimes level-headed, sometimes out of this world. It's fun and scary all at the same time." CDM24 (And he is 100% right)

mankatobjr

Post by mankatobjr »

except I was calling for it before the 2nd round draft..I was laughed at and told I am stupid and no way you draft a guard with a 1st and blah blah blah... and now thats what everyone wants.

Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
Tony Bongwater

Post by Tony Bongwater »

If Ford is there, you take him. And considering the need, I wouldn't be pissed if they threw out a 3rd round pick to make sure they got him. That's contingent on this team seeing Ford as a good fit, and our history of development. If hes not there , you dont reach. I might even trade back if there's a couple guys they like.

They got Easten coming back as well. Some people here dont like him, but they lacked attitude all year, and that's because of Eastens absence. If nothing else hes a shit ton better than Compton or Remmers, and right around league average. I also dont think it's a coincidence Elflein looked like he took a step back without Easten.

So that gives you

Reiff
?????
Elflein
Easten
O'Neill

If they can get another Starter caliber guard and some insurance depth, we might be Ok.
Slava Ukrijina 💙💛🇺🇦💙💛
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Tony Bongwater wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:28 pm If Ford is there, you take him. And considering the need, I wouldn't be pissed if they threw out a 3rd round pick to make sure they got him. That's contingent on this team seeing Ford as a good fit, and our history of development. If hes not there , you dont reach. I might even trade back if there's a couple guys they like.

They got Easten coming back as well. Some people here dont like him, but they lacked attitude all year, and that's because of Eastens absence. If nothing else hes a shit ton better than Compton or Remmers, and right around league average. I also dont think it's a coincidence Elflein looked like he took a step back without Easten.

So that gives you

Reiff
?????
Elflein
Easten
O'Neill

If they can get another Starter caliber guard and some insurance depth, we might be Ok.
Yep. I say take care of it in FA. Get a capable starter and draft one in rd 2-4. No need to reach.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
hategreenticemase

Beef Supreme wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:08 pm

Give me a break, I find that hard to believe.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

I think while this draft does not have the elite top talent, depth wise it might be better than last year's draft.

While Brian O'Neill played much better and much quicker than I thought (you can see his weaknesses but he got by), I don't think Rick thought that there would be the run of oLine at the bottom of the first and beginning of the 2nd. Starting with the Lions taking Ragnow at #20, oLine went 20, 22, 33, 34, 37, and 39. I think Rick thought a guy like Braden Smith, one of my favorite guard prospects last year, would be available around the spot we took O'Neil.

I let all of the half-wits criticize Speilman trading down (like that is all he does), but I did not like trading down in the 3rd, #94, with Tampa and then taking Jalyn Holmes. Holmes might develop, he might not. But, given our offensive line situation I would have just stayed and picked the guy Tampa traded up for, Alex Cappa. I thought Cappa was the last available guy I thought had a Day 1/2 draft value and although Holmes is probably a long run prospect, we had enough depth at dLine to be able to put the needed depth value into the offensive line.

The Vikings must address the offensive line in the first two days of the draft. Get a high pick rookie, maybe another from the first four rounds. Get back Aviante Collins and Nick Easton from injury, and I think we can take a step up in both starting quality and depth. And here is the deal, don't stop there. I would target 2 offensive linemen in the first 4 picks, and get another later in the draft. And, I would commit to a top 4 round offensive lineman in the next couple of drafts until we have rock solid depth.

Again, as I have noted elsewhere, Bud Grant did this consistently using high level draft picks in just about every draft to bring in depth to the offensive line. Grant selected at least one offensive lineman in the first four rounds in 1968, 69, 70, 72, 74, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, and 85. That is why he always had guys like Tim Irwin, Wes Hamilton, and Dennis Swilley ready to step in and play. Compared to the modern Vikings, from 2007 - 2016 the Vikings used a top 3 draft pick on offensive linemen twice (Matt Kalil, Phil Loadholt).

On top of that, after the 3rd round our selections have not panned out:

4th round Willie Beavers 2016 TJ Clemmings 2015
5th round David Yankey 2014 Chris DeGeare 2010
6th round Tyus Thompson 2015 Jeff Baca 2013 DeMarcus Love 2011 Brandon Fusco 2011 John Sullivan 2008
7th round Austin Shepperd 2015 Travis Boyd 2013

With these results, and Speilman has a very good track record overall, it is no wonder why the line is what it is.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

hategreenticemase wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:54 pm

You said “can’t miss.” I like a lot of the prospects and would be happy taking manynof them high in the draft, but to consider any of them “can’t miss” would be a mistake.

No Zach Martins or Steve Hutchinsons in this draft. Cody Ford is the top guy and he has had some injury concerns and it remains to be seen if his athleticism will translate and sustain as he ages. I’d take him, but he’s not “can’t miss.” He’s “good risk.”

- Isaac Asimov
hategreenticemase

Beef Supreme wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:25 pm

You said “can’t miss.” I like a lot of the prospects and would be happy taking manynof them high in the draft, but to consider any of them “can’t miss” would be a mistake.

No Zach Martins or Steve Hutchinsons in this draft. Cody Ford is the top guy and he has had some injury concerns and it remains to be seen if his athleticism will translate and sustain as he ages. I’d take him, but he’s not “can’t miss.” He’s “good risk.”
Ok, I meant pretty likely to be a day one quality starter.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

hategreenticemase wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:37 pm
Beef Supreme wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:25 pm

Ok, I meant pretty likely to be a day one quality starter.
There are a few. They’ve been mentioned in this thread. Ford and Lindstrom head the list. Right now they both look like reaches at 18 and might not fall to 50. But a lot can change on that between now and draft day.

- Isaac Asimov
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

mankatobjr wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:01 pm

except I was calling for it before the 2nd round draft..I was laughed at and told I am stupid and no way you draft a guard with a 1st and blah blah blah... and now thats what everyone wants.
Weird, I just searched said thread and didn't see the word stupid. It's OK for people to disagree ya know... and there's no way of knowing what one guard would have done. I could make the argument of never trading for Daniel Carlson would have gotten them into the playoffs. But how would you know?

http://forum.mnrubecentral.com/viewtopi ... =11&t=8661
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

mlhouse wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:58 pm

I let all of the half-wits criticize Speilman trading down (like that is all he does), but I did not like trading down in the 3rd, #94, with Tampa and then taking Jalyn Holmes. Holmes might develop, he might not. But, given our offensive line situation I would have just stayed and picked the guy Tampa traded up for, Alex Cappa. I thought Cappa was the last available guy I thought had a Day 1/2 draft value and although Holmes is probably a long run prospect, we had enough depth at dLine to be able to put the needed depth value into the offensive line.
I didn't like this either. I remember thinking they should take Cappa at that point, in fact I bet they wanted Cappa originally until they missed on a guard in the second round which then forced them to take something else in the third (which was a trade down to the fourth). Taking Cappa and having him with O'Neill would have set them up longterm. Does Holmes amount to anything? Hopefully with Zimmer at the helm he does. Zimmer has certainly built up depth though with DB and DL, how about OL for once?

mlhouse wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:58 pm The Vikings must address the offensive line in the first two days of the draft. Get a high pick rookie, maybe another from the first four rounds. Get back Aviante Collins and Nick Easton from injury, and I think we can take a step up in both starting quality and depth. And here is the deal, don't stop there. I would target 2 offensive linemen in the first 4 picks, and get another later in the draft. And, I would commit to a top 4 round offensive lineman in the next couple of drafts until we have rock solid depth.
I think those are the right moves, 100%.
mankatobjr

Post by mankatobjr »

HeHateMe wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:16 pm

Weird, I just searched said thread and didn't see the word stupid. It's OK for people to disagree ya know... and there's no way of knowing what one guard would have done. I could make the argument of never trading for Daniel Carlson would have gotten them into the playoffs. But how would you know?

Its ok.. You can say it. I was right and you were wrong.. its ok to admit it.

Don't tell me that a better guard besides Remmers and/or Compton would not have made a difference. Everything being equal maybe a better guard doesn't get blown up and they convert several 4th downs vs the seahwaks and take the lead.

#1 reason this team failed was because of the Oline.. that is a fact. That was a way to have made the Oline better. And even if they didn't make the play-offs this year that player is now going into year 2 with a team a full off season program to get stronger. I'd feel alot more comfortable with my starting guard going into year two now and not an unknown.

HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

mankatobjr wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:32 pm
HeHateMe wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:16 pm

Its ok.. You can say it. I was right and you were wrong.. its ok to admit it.

Don't tell me that a better guard besides Remmers and/or Compton would not have made a difference. Everything being equal maybe a better guard doesn't get blown up and they convert several 4th downs vs the seahwaks and take the lead.

#1 reason this team failed was because of the Oline.. that is a fact. That was a way to have made the Oline better. And even if they didn't make the play-offs this year that player is now going into year 2 with a team a full off season program to get stronger. I'd feel alot more comfortable with my starting guard going into year two now and not an unknown.
I said I wanted a guard too -- I just said I'm not trading a first round pick to move up in the second round. Sorry, I won't back off that claim now!

Would a better guard have made a difference? Maybe, would it have won more games? Maybe... I think the team failed in big spots for a lot more than JUST offensive line.