Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

3 years later, was the 2016 draft that bad?

A place to discuss the MN Vikings
mankatobjr

3 years later, was the 2016 draft that bad?

Post by mankatobjr »

Many people thought after last year the 2016 Draft was terrible and not one player worth keeping (save for David Morgan)

Now that that class has played 3 season it doesn't look quite as bad... Minus Beavers and probably Treadwell.

1st round- Treadwell-- below average WR- will define the draft- I thought this year he could have a chance, but was wrong
2nd Round- Mack Alexander Above Average slot CB who finished the season one of the best CBs overall.
4th Round-- Willie Beavers.. major Fail
5th Round-- Kentrell Brothers--Core special teams guy for 3 season.. what you expect with a 5th rounder.
6th Round-- MoBo- nothing more needs to be said.
6th Round-- David Morgan. a really good blocking TE. good asset for a 6th.
7th Round- Stephen Weatherly-- a good rational DE. could still develope into a Starter, good on ST
7th Round- Jayron Kearse-- Great on ST, developed into a rotational 5th/6th DB

So you drafted 2 starters in Alexander and Morgan (in certain packages but play alot)
2 core ST players (Brothers and Kearse-- with Kearse being an adequate DB)
1 above average back-up DE with starting potential (weathelry)
an ok 4th WR. who if they had drafted in 2nd round people would be fine with (flip him and Alexander and he'd be seen differently)

Was this the Vikings best draft class? No. But not the fail we thought of after 2017 season.. and looking better than the 2017 draft (after Cook/Elflien)

Maybe the experts are right.. you really need to give a draft class 3 years before you can grade it.
"Jobber's all over the board. Sometimes level-headed, sometimes out of this world. It's fun and scary all at the same time." CDM24 (And he is 100% right)

They call me Jobber... I have learn to not only accept it, but embrace it.
Beef Supreme

Re: 3 years later, was the 2016 draft that bad?

Post by Beef Supreme »

The 6-7th round could save that draft. I really like both Weatherly and Kearse as depth guys. Both could probably start someday, and maybe soon. Kearse as a "big nickel" was great last year. Weatherly might make Griffen expendable this year (not convinced, but more likely with Weatherly than it would be without him). Morgan is a good blocker. We ran better when he was healthy.

I still feel that MoBo was a fair risk in the 6th. Didn't work out. Move on.

If Treadwell gives us anything, and that's looking like a longshot now, this will have been a good draft. If he flames out like it looks like he will, it's an okay draft with a big missed opportunity at the top.

Beavers is the absolute whiff of this draft.
”Fanaticism is always a sign of repressed doubt.”

- Carl Jung
mankatobjr

Post by mankatobjr »

I agree with the MoBo.. worth a risk. and they didn't waste a 2nd year on him.

Beavers is the only major wiff.. need more out of a 4th rounder.

Treadwell. I wonder how good he could have been if he didn't have Diggs/Thielen ahead of him. when they are catching 200 balls how many are left for him? So far a fail, but I wonder if a change of scenery he couldn't be an alright WR (not 1st round though)
"Jobber's all over the board. Sometimes level-headed, sometimes out of this world. It's fun and scary all at the same time." CDM24 (And he is 100% right)

Obi-Wan

Post by Obi-Wan »

Good chance most will leave via free agency after 2019 season.
mankatobjr

Post by mankatobjr »

Obi-Wan wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:58 am Good chance most will leave via free agency after 2019 season.
I'd assume Weatherly is in the plans if they are replacing Everson.

Can they afford Alexander?

Brothers is good, but he is replaceable. Depends how cheap he is.

If the guys you draft are too good you can't afford to sign them its a sign you drafted well.

But if you are getting use for 3 years out of anyone past the 5th round.. thats a good pick. (except Oline.)

RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

If they hit on Tread, it would of been a good draft. As it stands though, I give what you listed a D+
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
mankatobjr

Post by mankatobjr »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:44 am If they hit on Tread, it would of been a good draft. As it stands though, I give what you listed a D+
D+ huh? So one pick makes or breaks the draft? Who should they have taken. If you say Micheal Thomas you are dead wrong. No one had him going in the 1st. No one. Give me a legitimate player who was 1st round worthy at the time that would have been a hit with that pick? With what the Vikings needed going into 2016

RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

mankatobjr wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:53 am
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:44 am If they hit on Tread, it would of been a good draft. As it stands though, I give what you listed a D+
D+ huh? So one pick makes or breaks the draft? Who should they have taken. If you say Micheal Thomas you are dead wrong. No one had him going in the 1st. No one. Give me a legitimate player who was 1st round worthy at the time that would have been a hit with that pick? With what the Vikings needed going into 2016
You can never call a good draft when you completely crap in a pick in the teens. Those picks are just too valuable.

I didn't want a WR at all in that draft. I wanted more defense at that time. Not sure who. I liked Jack in that draft.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
mankatobjr

Post by mankatobjr »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:56 am
You can never call a good draft when you completely crap in a pick in the teens. Those picks are just too valuable.

I didn't want a WR at all in that draft. I wanted more defense at that time. Not sure who. I liked Jack in that draft.
It was pick 23.. and not in the teens. Look at the draft behind him.. no one of name to speak of.

I wanted Jack.. but the Vikings weren't going to spend a top pick 3 years in a row at LB. And remember they still had Greenway and barely used 3 LBs.

There Dline was stacked with BRob, Griff, Joseph, Floyd. They just spent money on the Line in Boone and Andre Smith. Plus had Kalil and Berger... yes in hing sight the line was an issue... but was there a lineman available? Maybe Germain Ifedi.. but I know nothing about him.

At the Time their WR core was Diggs going into 2nd year. A mostly special Teamer in Adam Theilen. Patterson who had done nothing. Charles Johnson and Jarious Wright. This was a play-off Team with a pro bowl RB and young QB and great Defense and questionable WRs. This team needed a WR. It didn't get him, and the QB leg almost fell off. At the time Treadwell was the pick, and only option. It didn't work out. But at the time everyone agreed with the pick.

RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

mankatobjr wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:14 pm

It was pick 23.. and not in the teens. Look at the draft behind him.. no one of name to speak of.

I wanted Jack.. but the Vikings weren't going to spend a top pick 3 years in a row at LB. And remember they still had Greenway and barely used 3 LBs.

There Dline was stacked with BRob, Griff, Joseph, Floyd. They just spent money on the Line in Boone and Andre Smith. Plus had Kalil and Berger... yes in hing sight the line was an issue... but was there a lineman available? Maybe Germain Ifedi.. but I know nothing about him.

At the Time their WR core was Diggs going into 2nd year. A mostly special Teamer in Adam Theilen. Patterson who had done nothing. Charles Johnson and Jarious Wright. This was a play-off Team with a pro bowl RB and young QB and great Defense and questionable WRs. This team needed a WR. It didn't get him, and the QB leg almost fell off. At the time Treadwell was the pick, and only option. It didn't work out. But at the time everyone agreed with the pick.
Sorry. Couldn't even remember when we picked. I hated it at the time. There were so kany other wr turds picked I wanted no part of.

Doctson, Coleman etc...

You don't take WR in rd #1 unless they are bonafide studs. We knew Treadwell wasn't that before he played here.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Car Ramrod

Post by Car Ramrod »

The Texans and Redskins sniped Fuller and Doctson right before our pick. I don't think that Treadwell was ever really "the" guy. I think the Vikes liked those two better.
mankatobjr

Post by mankatobjr »

I just googled some 2016 Mock drafts. Most of them had Treadwell going early. Some ahd the Vikings taking him. Some just a few picks behind.

Say what you want after the fact.. going into the draft Treadwell was a stud. A good WR is what the team needed at the time. He was a great pick at the time. Did it work out yet? No, not even close. But at the time it was a great pick.

Now take him out.. the rest of the draft doesn't look that bad... compared to how it looked after 2017 season.

RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Car Ramrod wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:21 pm The Texans and Redskins sniped Fuller and Doctson right before our pick. I don't think that Treadwell was ever really "the" guy. I think the Vikes liked those two better.
Those two are busts also.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Hector

Post by Hector »

mankatobjr wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:34 pm I just googled some 2016 Mock drafts. Most of them had Treadwell going early. Some ahd the Vikings taking him. Some just a few picks behind.

Say what you want after the fact.. going into the draft Treadwell was a stud. A good WR is what the team needed at the time. He was a great pick at the time. Did it work out yet? No, not even close. But at the time it was a great pick.

Now take him out.. the rest of the draft doesn't look that bad... compared to how it looked after 2017 season.
I never was a big believer in Tread, I thought they should have have drafted Ogbah (tough to tell where he's at) who has so far been a bit underwhelming but has played next to Trevon Coley and Jaymie Meder who haven't helped him out.

Zylstra was part of the 2016 UDFA class...he might get a bigger shot next year.
mankatobjr

Post by mankatobjr »

Hector wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:45 pm
mankatobjr wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:34 pm I just googled some 2016 Mock drafts. Most of them had Treadwell going early. Some ahd the Vikings taking him. Some just a few picks behind.

I never was a big believer in Tread, I thought they should have have drafted Ogbah (tough to tell where he's at) who has so far been a bit underwhelming but has played next to Trevon Coley and Jaymie Meder who haven't helped him out.

Unfortunately for the 2016 Vikings.. a 1st round DE was not in their cards with Griff and Brob and they really liked Hunter (in 2nd year)

Car Ramrod

Post by Car Ramrod »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:38 pm
Car Ramrod wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:21 pm The Texans and Redskins sniped Fuller and Doctson right before our pick. I don't think that Treadwell was ever really "the" guy. I think the Vikes liked those two better.
Those two are busts also.
Not my point.
Hector

Post by Hector »

mankatobjr wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:53 pm
Hector wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:45 pm

Unfortunately for the 2016 Vikings.. a 1st round DE was not in their cards with Griff and Brob and they really liked Hunter (in 2nd year)
Right on. I thought they should have drafted Ogbah-Boyd that year but then they wouldn't have Alexander so I don't know if my idea would have worked out better.
twgerber

Post by twgerber »

Since only 50% of the 1st rounders work out on average that means that half the teams in the NFL completely crap their drafts right?
GM Spielman:
  • Record 62-48-2 (.559 winning %)
  • Playoffs 1-3
  • 7 years - reached playoffs 3 times.
  • Winner of the North 2 of last 4 years
Zimmer is 48-33-1
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

twgerber wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:44 pm

Since only 50% of the 1st rounders work out on average that means that half the teams in the NFL completely crap their drafts right?
If you are one in that 50% that year, yep. There is always an exception ifnyou end up landing a top tier player in later rounds.

Treadwell was the worst first rd pick the Vikings have made since Ponder.

Unless I'm forgetting something, the only drafts I hated were the Williamson, James draft. The Ponder draft and the Treadwell pick.

The Kalil draft is forgiven as all of the top 6 sucked complete ass other than Luck.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
mankatobjr

Post by mankatobjr »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:53 pm
twgerber wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:44 pm

If you are one in that 50% that year, yep. There is always an exception ifnyou end up landing a top tier player in later rounds.

Treadwell was the worst first rd pick the Vikings have made since Ponder.

Unless I'm forgetting something, the only drafts I hated were the Williamson, James draft. The Ponder draft and the Treadwell pick.

The Kalil draft is forgiven as all of the top 6 sucked complete ass other than Luck.
Well thats going on a ledge worse since 2011?

2012- Kalil and Smith-- Both have played in probowl.. Kalil could be because on injury
2013- Floyd, Rhodes and Patterson-- and All Pro CB, an All Pro Returner and a DT who could have been Pro- bowl until botched knee surgery
2014- Barr and Brdiewater-- a Pro Bowl LB and a potential Franchise QB who was injured.
2015- Trae Waynes-- a really good CB.
2016- Treadwell

So from 2012- thru 2016 9 first round Picks.. 2 Absulute Hits. Smith and Rhodes. 2 other Pro Bowl Players Barr and Patterson- say what you want but two Probowls as a Vikings. 3 Potential Franchise players on the way up until injuries Floyd and Bridgewater and Kalil. And 1 Really good CB Waynes.

So of the 9.. 2 (A+) 1 (A) 1 (B+) 1 (B) Waynes (who could be an A) 3 (Incompletes) The 3 with injuries. and one (D).. People can say what they want but 8 of the 9 were good to great picks... can't predict injuries.

Even when you add Ponder.. Before Hughes you hit on 8 of 10 Picks.

Plus 2009- Harvin- Hit
2008- traded for Jared Allen- Hit
2007- AP- Hit.

So the Vikings hit on all But 2 Drafts since 2007? And one of those 2 was a 2nd Year QB who lead them to the Play-offs.

I forget why Speilman gets so much hate?

salamander

Post by salamander »

mankatobjr wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:42 am Many people thought after last year the 2016 Draft was terrible and not one player worth keeping (save for David Morgan)

Now that that class has played 3 season it doesn't look quite as bad... Minus Beavers and probably Treadwell.

1st round- Treadwell-- below average WR- will define the draft- I thought this year he could have a chance, but was wrong
2nd Round- Mack Alexander Above Average slot CB who finished the season one of the best CBs overall.
5th Round-- Kentrell Brothers--Core special teams guy for 3 season.. what you expect with a 5th rounder.
7th Round- Stephen Weatherly-- a good rational DE. could still develope into a Starter, good on ST

So you drafted 2 starters in Alexander and Morgan (in certain packages but play alot)
an ok 4th WR. who if they had drafted in 2nd round people would be fine with (flip him and Alexander and he'd be seen differently)

Was this the Vikings best draft class? No. But not the fail we thought of after 2017 season.. and looking better than the 2017 draft (after Cook/Elflien)

Maybe the experts are right.. you really need to give a draft class 3 years before you can grade it.
I absolutely hated the Treadwell pick and loved the Mack Alexander pick. I was mocked and ridiculed.

Beavers was a terrible pick and I never understood the love Brothers got on this board. Mobo was a fun flyer on a player than could be a diamond in the rough so I'm fine with that. I actually like Morgan more than others seem to. Weatherly and Kearse look like good utility players. I'm surprised how well the end of that draft turned out.

Treadwell on top really brings this draft WAY down. He's like an anchor sinking the good side of this draft. To be fair though, look at all the players after our pick. Not very much talent around that spot in that draft. It looks like that was going to be a failed pick most likely no matter who we picked unless we had a 1st round grade on someone who was taken in the 2nd round.
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
mankatobjr

Post by mankatobjr »

salamander wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:25 pm
mankatobjr wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:42 am Many people thought after last year the 2016 Draft was terrible and not one player worth keeping (save for David Morgan)

I absolutely hated the Treadwell pick and loved the Mack Alexander pick. I was mocked and ridiculed.

Beavers was a terrible pick and I never understood the love Brothers got on this board. Mobo was a fun flyer on a player than could be a diamond in the rough so I'm fine with that. I actually like Morgan more than others seem to. Weatherly and Kearse look like good utility players. I'm surprised how well the end of that draft turned out.

Treadwell on top really brings this draft WAY down. He's like an anchor sinking the good side of this draft. To be fair though, look at all the players after our pick. Not very much talent around that spot in that draft. It looks like that was going to be a failed pick most likely no matter who we picked unless we had a 1st round grade on someone who was taken in the 2nd round.
Good assessment. Say you drafted Alexander in the first and Treadwell in the 2nd would this draft now look better? Same players.. just different spots drafted? Looking at what was around the 23 pick you can argue Alexander is better than most of those guys.

The Treadwell pick would be easier to swallow as a 2nd rounder.. plus Micheal Thomas was already picked so can't say "But they could have drafted him"

I like Morgan alot.. Brothers.. is what he is.. a Special Teamer.. will never be a LBer on a consistent basis for a good Defense. Wilson a 2017 UDF has passed him on the LB depth chart

salamander

Post by salamander »

mankatobjr wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:31 pm Good assessment. Say you drafted Alexander in the first and Treadwell in the 2nd would this draft now look better? Same players.. just different spots drafted? Looking at what was around the 23 pick you can argue Alexander is better than most of those guys.
It's funny how that works. Literally changes nothing but looks WAY better.
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

salamander wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:25 pm
i wasn't thrilled with the treadwell pick because it felt like a need-reach one by spielman again. i too liked the alexander pick mainly because of his story and that i thought it translated into a very good work ethic.

this board was constantly on mac for his poor play though. at the end of last year i said that i felt he was making progress and that this could be another year where he made a significant jump-and he played great football down the stretch. his play opened the eyes of PA and bercich who were on him constantly. they came around on alexander. i think there was one poster who said he was wrong about mac-but not i don't recall any others.

maybe it's time to admit that they might have gotten some real talent with that pick. if this year wasn't smoke and mirrors-and i don't think it was-it sure looks like they got themselves a solid football player at a crucial position. fingers crossed.
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

I remember one rube going on a tangent for passing over Paxton Lynch because he thought even though Teddy got us to the playoffs, you should never stop drafting QBs.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
J Havlicek, M Ginobili, M Richmond
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
H Olajuwon, W Unseld, A Sabonis
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Oriole81 wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:38 pm I remember one rube going on a tangent for passing over Paxton Lynch because he thought even though Teddy got us to the playoffs, you should never stop drafting QBs.
I was pissed we passed on Dak.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Ash Ketchum

Post by Ash Ketchum »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:40 pm
Oriole81 wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:38 pm I remember one rube going on a tangent for passing over Paxton Lynch because he thought even though Teddy got us to the playoffs, you should never stop drafting QBs.
Dak isn’t that good.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Ash Ketchum wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:44 pm
Dak isn’t that good.
Yes I know. Didn't know that at the time. You could also argue he is better than the QB we had at the time.

Considering we took Willie Beavers before Dak, was horrible. Prescott at least has value. Willie never did.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Dak isn’t that good.
You could also argue that he's better than anything that's been here since Favre up until now with Cousins.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
mankatobjr

Post by mankatobjr »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:49 pm

Dak isn’t that good.
You could also argue that he's better than anything that's been here since Favre up until now with Cousins.
You could argue he is better than Cousins.. got his team (with worse WRs) and about the same D to the play-offs and a win.