Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Offensive Guards - Draft History

A place to discuss the MN Vikings
Ash Ketchum

Offensive Guards - Draft History

Post by Ash Ketchum »

Every Pro Bowl OG (including injury replacements) since 2009 and where they were drafted:

- Quenton Nelson, IND - Round 1 (#6)
- Joel Bitonio, CLE - Round 2 (#35)
- David DeCastro, PIT - Round 1 (#24)
- Kelechi Osemele, OAK - Round 2 (#60)
- Richie Incognito, BUF - Round 3 (#81)
- Zack Martin, DAL - Round 1 (#16)
- Brandon Brooks, PHI - Round 3 (#76)
- Trai Turner, CAR - Round 3 (#92)
- TJ Lang, GB - Round 4 (#109)
- Larry Warford, NO - Round 3 (#65)
- Marshall Yanda, BAL - Round 3 (#86)
- Josh Sitton, GB - Round 4 (#135)
- Logan Mankins, NE - Round 1 (#32)
- Mike Pouncey, MIA - Round 1 (#15)
- Evan Mathis, PHI - Round 3 (#79)
- Kyle Long, CHI - Round 1 (#20)
- Ben Grubbs, BAL - Round 1 (#29)
- Jahri Evans, NO - Round 4 (#108)
- Wade Smith, HOU - Round 3 (#78)
- Zane Beadles, DEN - Round 2 (#45)
- Chris Snee, NYG - Round 2 (#34)
- Mike Iupati, SF - Round 1 (#15)
- Brian Waters, KC - Undrafted
- Brandon Moore, NYJ - Undrafted
- Carl Nicks, TB - Round 5 (#164)
- Davin Joseph, TB - Round 1 (#23)
- Kris Dielman, SD - Undrafted
- Steve Hutchinson, MIN - Round 1 (#17)

- 10/28 first rounders
- 4/28 second rounders
- 7/28 third rounders
- 7/28 fourth round and later

Don’t know if there’s many trends here. More first round guards than I thought. Pretty much 50/50 between guards taken in the first two rounds and guards taken in the third and later.

Here is the more complete draft history during that time so you can see all of the OGs taken:

PurpleFloyd

Re: Offensive Guards - Draft History

Post by PurpleFloyd »

Kubiak won't need white collar OL to get production from them. Besides, the OL is a unit and with that complimentary skillets> raw talent.
You need guys who physically compliment each other. It never works to just try and take elite talent that's mismatched and try to get them to work together
In Kwesi we trust.
Ash Ketchum

Post by Ash Ketchum »

PurpleFloyd wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:14 pm Kubiak won't need white collar OL to get production from them. Besides, the OL is a unit and with that complimentary skillets> raw talent.
You need guys who physically compliment each other. It never works to just try and take elite talent that's mismatched and try to get them to work together
Agree with you on the synergy and teamwork bit regarding the OL, but it does help to have really good individuals making up that unit.
Tony Bongwater

Post by Tony Bongwater »

FUCK!!! My entire board was set up on getting 2 all pro guards in the 6th round. Now I gotta rethink trading that 3rd and 4th for an extra 1st.

It tells me that the first rounders act like first rounders, but that the fringe 1sts are there for a reason. If a guy lacks size, or focus...etc... but has everything else, they're still short or dumb. Meanwhile the raw guys in the 3rd and 4th pan out at a decent clip considering their draft position. Essentially, if your guy isnt there in round 1 you dont need to freak out in round two.

Unless you're the Vikings in which case you just keep taking lineman till we have 5 league average starters.
Slava Ukrijina 💙💛🇺🇦💙💛
Da Gas Man

Post by Da Gas Man »

I am somewhat saddened to see Cody Ford rise in mock drafts. I thought he would be a great pick at 18 and now I fear that he won’t be there at 18. I have now seen him mocked from 13-17.
PurpleHaze

Post by PurpleHaze »

The way people ball their eyes out about drafting Olinemen early I was expecting a bare minimum of 70% drafted in the first two rounds.
Simpson Get Lifted wrote
Should have been WAY more booing from the home crowd imo. You have to drown out the cheers from Oscar.

Oscar on the Vikes:
"I am all in for a 4th place finish."
Hector

Post by Hector »

Da Gas Man wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:34 pm I am somewhat saddened to see Cody Ford rise in mock drafts. I thought he would be a great pick at 18 and now I fear that he won’t be there at 18. I have now seen him mocked from 13-17.
I think he could be this year's Braeden Smith, projected at guard-could play RT and play it well.

Nice thread Ash, I can totally see Wyatt Teller turning into a solid guard (5th round pick in 2018) and thought the Vikings should have drafted him as he could move people around with ease.

Gossett's bio didn't really sound promising from the start- plays stiff, needs strength.
twgerber

Post by twgerber »

Ash Ketchum wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:06 pm - 10/28 first rounders

- 4/28 second rounders
- 7/28 third rounders

Don’t know if there’s many trends here. More first round guards than I thought. Pretty much 50/50 between guards taken in the first two rounds and guards taken in the third and later.
So you are saying as many work out drafted in 3rd/4th as in 1st/2nd. 14 in each pair.

So round doesn't matter as long as it's in the first 4 rounds..... And 2nd rounder fail more than any other of the first 4 rounds by far.
GM Spielman:
  • Record 62-48-2 (.559 winning %)
  • Playoffs 1-3
  • 7 years - reached playoffs 3 times.
  • Winner of the North 2 of last 4 years
Zimmer is 48-33-1
Ash Ketchum

Post by Ash Ketchum »

Interesting that outside of Quenton Nelson, who was billed as an All Pro right away before the combine even, there are very few examples of OGs being taken in the Top 10.

Maybe bodes well for us if Ford is seen as a OG by too many teams that he could fall to 18?

I’m usually against reaching for a guard in the first unless they truly have Pro Bowl potential reasonably soon. Ford could be a guy like that. I don’t know.
B-Town

Post by B-Town »

twgerber wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:47 pm

- 4/28 second rounders
- 7/28 third rounders

So you are saying as many work out drafted in 3rd/4th as in 1st/2nd. 14 in each pair.

So round doesn't matter as long as it's in the first 4 rounds..... And 2nd rounder fail more than any other of the first 4 rounds by far.
To be fair, you should probably figure out how many guards have been taken in each of these clusters to get a real idea of what's happening here. I would imagine the percentage of 'hits' go down with each round, like they do at every other position.
Dayman, Fighter of the Nightman.

Stup up, Abe!
Ash Ketchum

Post by Ash Ketchum »

B-Town wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:52 pm
twgerber wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:47 pm

- 4/28 second rounders
- 7/28 third rounders

To be fair, you should probably figure out how many guards have been taken in each of these clusters to get a real idea of what's happening here. I would imagine the percentage of 'hits' go down with each round, like they do at every other position.
Agreed.

It’s hard to really judge this data without having context of what’s going on at other positions.

Also, without the luxury of PFF ratings or really studying what local media is saying, it’s hard to know if a lot of these guys have turned into successful picks. Outside of the top guys, I have no idea if OG X is a good player or not.

Using the Pro Bowl is not the most effective method either since it’s ignoring a number of very good players who just didn’t get that level of recognition.