Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

If Mike Zimmer is fired after 2019...

A place to discuss the MN Vikings
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

If Mike Zimmer is fired after 2019...

Post by RubeTube »

If the Vikings fail in 2019 and Zimmer is fired, will he ever get another head coaching job?

I think we win the Super bowl next year, it's finally our time I believe but if the wheels fall off, do you think Zimmer ever sees a head coaching job again?

Let Teh Tube know what you think and your reasoning.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Oscar

Re: If Mike Zimmer is fired after 2019...

Post by Oscar »

And this guy doesn’t have his ability to create threads revoked?

You have the Vikings winning the SB next year without even knowing what additions are going to be made to the OL? DOH OK.

Why not just say Spielman and Zimmer should get 10 year extensions and they will win the next 19 SB’s while your at it.
1.10.22: Never Forget! Zimmer and Spielman are done destroying the Vikings Organization!

Still can’t start a thread on this forum! Bozo’s hate the truth!
Why Not Us

Post by Why Not Us »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:26 pmI think we win the Super bowl next year, it's finally our time
I used think like this, I haven't in a decade after the Fave stuff. I just don't get myself overly invested anymore and hope for the best but expect the worst with this team.

Look at the teams left in the playoffs and the coaches they have, we'd need a lot of luck to pull off a Super Bowl win.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Oscar wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:42 pm And this guy doesn’t have his ability to create threads revoked?

You have the Vikings winning the SB next year without even knowing what additions are going to be made to the OL? DOH OK.

Why not just say Spielman and Zimmer should get 10 year extensions and they will win the next 19 SB’s while your at it.
How would they win 19 SBs on a 10 year extension :shrug:
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Ash Ketchum

Post by Ash Ketchum »

It’s possible he never coaches as a HC again after his run here.

It’s likely that if his career as a Viking ends on a bad note that he would have to build his stock back up as a DC somewhere for a couple of years. And at his age, he might not or teams might not want to go through that again.
Bleeds Purple

Post by Bleeds Purple »

It will be because Spielman stuck him with an albatross of a mediocre starting QB!
twgerber

Post by twgerber »

If next season is like this one I bet Zimmer retires or moves to a front office position somewhere.
GM Spielman:
  • Record 62-48-2 (.559 winning %)
  • Playoffs 1-3
  • 7 years - reached playoffs 3 times.
  • Winner of the North 2 of last 4 years
Zimmer is 48-33-1
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Bleeds Purple wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:14 pm It will be because Spielman stuck him with an albatross of a mediocre starting QB!
Sadly.... yep.
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
Phrooster

Post by Phrooster »

Beef Supreme wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:20 am
Bleeds Purple wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:14 pm It will be because Spielman stuck him with an albatross of a mediocre starting QB!
Sadly.... yep.
or an o line that could not keep your fat sister from the dinner table
Style

Post by Style »

Yeah he'd get another HC job. My evidence? Adam Gase.
“Juiceless = useless” - Pat Fitzgerald
B-Town

Post by B-Town »

Anyone with a record over .500 as a HC will likely get another shot somewhere else. I think someone else would hire him within a year or 2.
Dayman, Fighter of the Nightman.

Stup up, Abe!
mankatobjr

Post by mankatobjr »

twgerber wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:30 am If next season is like this one I bet Zimmer retires or moves to a front office position somewhere.
No Chance.. zero he is a front office guy. He doesn't like that stuff. He'd maybe a defensive consultant if he doesn't go the DC role. Similar to what Kubiac is going to do. He is 9 years younger than Wade Philips who is still a DC. But Zero Chance he is in a front office position. No team would hire him to put a roster together.. and he isn't going to start at the ranks of a scout.
"Jobber's all over the board. Sometimes level-headed, sometimes out of this world. It's fun and scary all at the same time." CDM24 (And he is 100% right)

They call me Jobber... I have learn to not only accept it, but embrace it.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Phrooster wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:27 am
Sadly.... yep.
or an o line that could not keep your fat sister from the dinner table
Must have been his problem in Washington too.

Bad luck. Poor Kirk...

- Isaac Asimov
-Jaymo-

Post by -Jaymo- »

Beef Supreme wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:19 am Must have been his problem in Washington too.

Bad luck. Poor Kirk...

What was Case’s problem in Denver? I mean, he was a 13 win QB last year.

What gives?
Tmoney

Post by Tmoney »

I have a feeling no matter what this is it for Zimmer. That's why they effort to keep Stefanski was huge.

With Kubiak now they are going to get Kevin all ready to take over.

Just my feeling with how everything is shaking out.

Stefanksi was a push to make these additions in sounds like. Almost as if he is building his staff
twgerber

Post by twgerber »

mankatobjr wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:07 am
twgerber wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:30 am If next season is like this one I bet Zimmer retires or moves to a front office position somewhere.
No Chance.. zero he is a front office guy. He doesn't like that stuff. He'd maybe a defensive consultant if he doesn't go the DC role. Similar to what Kubiac is going to do. He is 9 years younger than Wade Philips who is still a DC. But Zero Chance he is in a front office position. No team would hire him to put a roster together.. and he isn't going to start at the ranks of a scout.
A consulting role would make sense too.
GM Spielman:
  • Record 62-48-2 (.559 winning %)
  • Playoffs 1-3
  • 7 years - reached playoffs 3 times.
  • Winner of the North 2 of last 4 years
Zimmer is 48-33-1
Why Not Us

Post by Why Not Us »

B-Town wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:35 am Anyone with a record over .500 as a HC will likely get another shot somewhere else. I think someone else would hire him within a year or 2.
Mike Sherman, Mike Smith, Mike Martz, Jerry Burns, Jim Fassel, Chuck Pagano and Brian Billick didn't get another HC job. I'm sure I'm missing a few.

Maybe it's a "Mike" thing, if so bad for Zimmer.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Tmoney wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:35 am I have a feeling no matter what this is it for Zimmer. That's why they effort to keep Stefanski was huge.

With Kubiak now they are going to get Kevin all ready to take over.

Just my feeling with how everything is shaking out.

Stefanksi was a push to make these additions in sounds like. Almost as if he is building his staff
Let's see if he can even run a offense first. I think Zimmer gets extended with a good year.

I do think if these next couple year's don't go as planned and Zimmer is still retained, he will retire.

I really think 2019 and 2020 are likely it for this team at a SB run. It's going to be another rebuild after that.

We will still have some nice core pieces like Diggs, Hunter, Kendricks, Waynes (If resigned) Hughes, Hill, Cook etc..

But you are probably looking at a new QB (Unless we win it all) HC, GM. Guy's like Smith, Griffin, Rhodes, Linval, Thielen, Rudolph (Hopefully gone by then) will all be long in the tooth.

This next year is one of the biggest year's in this franchises history imho.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

Why Not Us wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:09 pm
B-Town wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:35 am Anyone with a record over .500 as a HC will likely get another shot somewhere else. I think someone else would hire him within a year or 2.
Mike Sherman, Mike Smith, Mike Martz, Jerry Burns, Jim Fassel, Chuck Pagano and Brian Billick didn't get another HC job. I'm sure I'm missing a few.

Is there any evidence Billick tried to get another job? Just curious. The other coaches... meh.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
salamander

Post by salamander »

If Zimmer is fired after 2019, the Wilfs and Spielman are idiots. A lot of fans seem to be idiots as well.
He will get another head coaching job because he's a good head coach.

He took a 31st ranked defense and immediately made them top 15. Two years in and he turned the unit into a 3 time, top 5 defense.
That's 3 consecutive years being top 5 and 1 of them we were #1.

Zimmer took a 5 win team and knocked off the top team in the division in two years. This was when everyone around the NFL was claiming the Rodgers was the greatest QB in the league, better than Brady. He then beat that team again. Zimmer chopped the legs out from Rodgers legacy, a guy who was potentially going to be hailed as the greatest QB ever. Zimmer got MM fired who was on the coldest of seats when Zim took over the Vikings.

Yeah, he's trying to find his way on offense but having a defense that is top 5 every year paired with ups and downs on offense is a recipe for being in the playoffs a lot and making runs at the superbowl. Everyone wants to cut his head off like he sucks (Dan B and his sidekick) is ridiculous. He's got warts, everyone knows that but he's still a great head coach that has earned another 5 year contract as far as I'm concerned.
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
DonaldDouchebag

Post by DonaldDouchebag »

Sadly.... yep.
:lol:

Cracks me up when the Teddy apologists come along to dump on Cousins.
Like that, y'all, pop some more shit.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

DonaldDouchebag wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:04 pm
Sadly.... yep.
:lol:

Cracks me up when the Teddy apologists come along to dump on Cousins.
For me anyway, it’s bang per buck.

I’d be all over Teddy if we were paying $28M for his production.

- Isaac Asimov
DonaldDouchebag

I don't understand your hang up on the dollar amount spent on Cousins, either. It's not going to cripple the team because we know the cap will continue to increase. Drafting a rookie QB and having him for five years is just about the only way you're going to have a cheap QB. That's how the NFL works. The Vikings tried that a few times and none of the QBs they drafted worked out. QB is far and away the most important position in this league and it's high time the Vikings made it a spending priority instead of dumping a hundred million onto a one-trick running back.

Also, the cap hit for Cosuins was $24 million for 2018. The cap hit for Bradford, Keenum and Bridgewater was $22 million the year before.
PurpleHaze

Post by PurpleHaze »

salamander wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:30 pm If Zimmer is fired after 2019, the Wilfs and Spielman are idiots. A lot of fans seem to be idiots as well.
He will get another head coaching job because he's a good head coach.

He took a 31st ranked defense and immediately made them top 15. Two years in and he turned the unit into a 3 time, top 5 defense.
That's 3 consecutive years being top 5 and 1 of them we were #1.

Zimmer took a 5 win team and knocked off the top team in the division in two years. This was when everyone around the NFL was claiming the Rodgers was the greatest QB in the league, better than Brady. He then beat that team again. Zimmer chopped the legs out from Rodgers legacy, a guy who was potentially going to be hailed as the greatest QB ever. Zimmer got MM fired who was on the coldest of seats when Zim took over the Vikings.

Yeah, he's trying to find his way on offense but having a defense that is top 5 every year paired with ups and downs on offense is a recipe for being in the playoffs a lot and making runs at the superbowl. Everyone wants to cut his head off like he sucks (Dan B and his sidekick) is ridiculous. He's got warts, everyone knows that but he's still a great head coach that has earned another 5 year contract as far as I'm concerned.
Spot Fucking on!!!!
Simpson Get Lifted wrote
Should have been WAY more booing from the home crowd imo. You have to drown out the cheers from Oscar.

Oscar on the Vikes:
"I am all in for a 4th place finish."
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

DonaldDouchebag wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:20 pm I don't understand your hang up on the dollar amount spent on Cousins, either. It's not going to cripple the team because we know the cap will continue to increase. Drafting a rookie QB and having him for five years is just about the only way you're going to have a cheap QB. That's how the NFL works. The Vikings tried that a few times and none of the QBs they drafted worked out. QB is far and away the most important position in this league and it's high time the Vikings made it a spending priority instead of dumping a hundred million onto a one-trick running back.

Also, the cap hit for Cosuins was $24 million for 2018. The cap hit for Bradford, Keenum and Bridgewater was $22 million the year before.
I’ve talked about this extensively in other threads, but the $28M number is the average. Yes, it was $24M this past year, but it will be $29M for 2019 and $31M for 2020.

I agree that the Teddy/Bradford/Keenum trio for $22M wasn’t great either, but most of that was Sam ($18M). If your argument is based on kirks contract not being as bad as Sam’s, I’d agree, but I think that’s a loser of a starting premise. I’d have been thrilled to go into 2018 with Case an Teddy for $4M. I know that specific scenario wasn’t possible, but for the sake of argument, that’s a much better situation.

Cousins is a flawed quarterback. He does some things really well (throws a nice ball), but struggles to manage pressure, move in the pocket, and doesn’t seem to be a great motivational leader. He’s got a career losing record and much has been made of his disappearing act in big games and his inability to beat winning teams (is it 4-25 now?).

Bad teams in Washington mitigate some of this, maybe... and a bad OL is an excuse here... but that begs the question, if he needs everything around him perfect, then how good is he? And if we pay him this much, doesn’t that impact our ability to build a team around him with which he can win (good defense and OL)?

It will be very difficult to build a winner around him. Difficult to maintain the defense and build a good OL with his contract. Not impossible, but difficult.

I’d have rather kept looking to the draft for our franchise qb. Finding a good one on a rookie contract is a huge advantage in today’s nfl. Look what the rams and chiefs are able to do around their young QBs. Look at how hard it was for New Orleans to rebuild around Brees’ contract (three consecutive 8-8 seasons until the last two years). Look at wht Seattle was able to do around Wilson when he was cheap and look at them now with him on a contract commensurate with his talent. Look at the huge advantage Brady has given the pats by consistently taking less than market value. Look at the packers now that Rodgers is a $35M man or whatever. The point is; value at the quarterback position is important. Kirk is not a good value at $28M/per.

Cousins is paid like a guy who can overcome roster deficiencies, but his history says he can’t. Not in terms of W/L anyway. He does throw a really nice ball, though. That sounds like a snide, throwaway line here, but it isn’t. It is true and it is nice. He has that going for him. Throws the best ball here since Favre. That’s not nothing, but it’s certainly not everything either.

- Isaac Asimov
DonaldDouchebag

Beef Supreme wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:14 pm
DonaldDouchebag wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:20 pm I don't understand your hang up on the dollar amount spent on Cousins, either. It's not going to cripple the team because we know the cap will continue to increase. Drafting a rookie QB and having him for five years is just about the only way you're going to have a cheap QB. That's how the NFL works. The Vikings tried that a few times and none of the QBs they drafted worked out. QB is far and away the most important position in this league and it's high time the Vikings made it a spending priority instead of dumping a hundred million onto a one-trick running back.

I’ve talked about this extensively in other threads, but the $28M number is the average. Yes, it was $24M this past year, but it will be $29M for 2019 and $31M for 2020.

I agree that the Teddy/Bradford/Keenum trio for $22M wasn’t great either, but most of that was Sam ($18M). If your argument is based on kirks contract not being as bad as Sam’s, I’d agree, but I think that’s a loser of a starting premise. I’d have been thrilled to go into 2018 with Case an Teddy for $4M. I know that specific scenario wasn’t possible, but for the sake of argument, that’s a much better situation.

Cousins is a flawed quarterback. He does some things really well (throws a nice ball), but struggles to manage pressure, move in the pocket, and doesn’t seem to be a great motivational leader. He’s got a career losing record and much has been made of his disappearing act in big games and his inability to beat winning teams (is it 4-25 now?).

Bad teams in Washington mitigate some of this, maybe... and a bad OL is an excuse here... but that begs the question, if he needs everything around him perfect, then how good is he? And if we pay him this much, doesn’t that impact our ability to build a team around him with which he can win (good defense and OL)?

It will be very difficult to build a winner around him. Difficult to maintain the defense and build a good OL with his contract. Not impossible, but difficult.

I’d have rather kept looking to the draft for our franchise qb. Finding a good one on a rookie contract is a huge advantage in today’s nfl. Look what the rams and chiefs are able to do around their young QBs. Look at how hard it was for New Orleans to rebuild around Brees’ contract (three consecutive 8-8 seasons until the last two years). Look at wht Seattle was able to do around Wilson when he was cheap and look at them now with him on a contract commensurate with his talent. Look at the huge advantage Brady has given the pats by consistently taking less than market value. Look at the packers now that Rodgers is a $35M man or whatever. The point is; value at the quarterback position is important. Kirk is not a good value at $28M/per.

Cousins is paid like a guy who can overcome roster deficiencies, but his history says he can’t. Not in terms of W/L anyway. He does throw a really nice ball, though. That sounds like a snide, throwaway line here, but it isn’t. It is true and it is nice. He has that going for him. Throws the best ball here since Favre. That’s not nothing, but it’s certainly not everything either.
I would take Kirk Cousins and a $24 million dollar cap hit versus a Keenum/Bridgewater cap hit of $19M every day. He's a big upgrade over those two. The difference is Andrew Sendejo. Big deal.

I'd argue the Vikings window is nearly closed which necessitated signing Cousins rather than spending a ton of draft capital to move up and pick a guy near the top of the draft.

Once-in-a-decade outliers like Wilson and Brady aren't really worth discussing. You can't pin your hopes on finding that guy when you have a team that is ready (or so we thought) to make a run. History says you don't have a large chance of finding one of those dudes.

I do agree that Cousins has flaws, of course. I just need to see him in an offense built to his strengths.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

DonaldDouchebag wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:35 pm

I would take Kirk Cousins and a $24 million dollar cap hit versus a Keenum/Bridgewater cap hit of $19M every day. He's a big upgrade over those two. The difference is Andrew Sendejo. Big deal.

I'd argue the Vikings window is nearly closed which necessitated signing Cousins rather than spending a ton of draft capital to move up and pick a guy near the top of the draft.

Once-in-a-decade outliers like Wilson and Brady aren't really worth discussing. You can't pin your hopes on finding that guy when you have a team that is ready (or so we thought) to make a run. History says you don't have a large chance of finding one of those dudes.

I do agree that Cousins has flaws, of course. I just need to see him in an offense built to his strengths.
Agreed. This team has a couple more year's. If they don't get it done, then it's time to trade up for that QB.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
B-Town

Post by B-Town »

Why Not Us wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:09 pm

Sure, you can always pick out exceptions to the rule. I'm sure the list of HCs that went .500+ in their first job and got a second one is much longer than the ones who haven't.
Dayman, Fighter of the Nightman.

Stup up, Abe!
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

DonaldDouchebag wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:35 pm

I think it was worth it to go out and get a qb like Cousins. Yeah his win/loss numbers aren't anything better than average, yeah he puts up some garbage time stats here and there. It's reasonable to think the team here was built to succeed with a qb who protected the ball. Cousins coughed it up a lot more than anyone hoped. Still though, they didn't have to take another high draft pick and then be 2-3-4 years down the road before you had to make another change. What if beefing up the offensive line is the difference and the Vikings are winning the north again next year? This team was damn close to the playoffs, a lot of the luck flipped the Vikings way in 2017 and it didn't in 2018. I think the focus will be the same next offseason as it was last offseason. Championship aspirations with a big time defense, some really good offensive weapons and hopefully an improved o line. The alternative of drafting Lamar Jackson and bringing back Case Keenum didn't do it for me last year, still doesn't do it for me this year.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.