Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Gary Kubiak joins the Vikings staff (along with son and others)

A place to discuss the MN Vikings
B-Town

Re: Gary Kubiak joins the Vikings staff (along with son and others)

Post by B-Town »

HeHateMe wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:22 am
B-Town wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:17 am
HeHateMe wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:09 am Were people upset when Shurmur was hired as a TE coach (LOL) and Sparano brought in as OL? I welcome the Kubiak addition.
The difference is that both of those guys were brought in for traditional, defined roles. Kubiak is being brought in as kind of a free floating guy with an undefined role. He's being given a significant amount of power, as evidenced by him being allowed to bring position coaches with him. It just seems a bit backward.
If you believe that on Shurmur… I'm not sure what to tell you. It was hinted then and it's mentioned by several media guys now -- Shurmur had never coached "Te's" and was essentially brought in to assist with play calling. IMO that is more an attempt to undermine the OC than hiring Kubiak whose son is buddies with Stefanski anyways. Supposedly Kubiak was interested in Stefanski going with him somewhere?
OK, so your take is that it's a good thing to bring in an experienced guy to help facilitate the offense and that his position within the organization is irrelevant. My take is that the Vikings have a long track record of subpar internal structuring and communication, and that this move is an extension of that. Agree to disagree.
Dayman, Fighter of the Nightman.

Stup up, Abe!
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

B-Town wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:34 am

The difference is that both of those guys were brought in for traditional, defined roles. Kubiak is being brought in as kind of a free floating guy with an undefined role. He's being given a significant amount of power, as evidenced by him being allowed to bring position coaches with him. It just seems a bit backward.
If you believe that on Shurmur… I'm not sure what to tell you. It was hinted then and it's mentioned by several media guys now -- Shurmur had never coached "Te's" and was essentially brought in to assist with play calling. IMO that is more an attempt to undermine the OC than hiring Kubiak whose son is buddies with Stefanski anyways. Supposedly Kubiak was interested in Stefanski going with him somewhere?
OK, so your take is that it's a good thing to bring in an experienced guy to help facilitate the offense and that his position within the organization is irrelevant. My take is that the Vikings have a long track record of subpar internal structuring and communication, and that this move is an extension of that. Agree to disagree.
Fair enough -- like I said, Stefanski knows the Kubiaks, I would guess Norv/Scott Turner knew when Pat Shurmur got hired as TEs coach he was there as a potential replacement.

By all accounts Zimmer wanted a guy with head coaching experience on the offensive staff, hence interviewing Philbin as the OL coach too.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

HeHateMe wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:09 am Were people upset when Shurmur was hired as a TE coach (LOL) and Sparano brought in as OL? I welcome the Kubiak addition.
Correcting myself here.. apparently Shurmur coached TEs/OL at Michigan St and then with the Eagles from 99-2001. Otherwise QB/OC/HC since besides the 2016 games.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
Obi-Wan

Post by Obi-Wan »

Maybe there is a little too much hiring of sons going on with Zimmer. He gives his kid a job, Scott Turner, and now Kubiak. Do they just go with ZImmer because he gives their family a job.
JigglyPuff

Post by JigglyPuff »

Bleeds Purple wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:42 pm Now, all the Vikings need is a real starting QB!
Rumors are floating around that the Vikings are trying to trade up to draft Kyler Murray. No need to draft an oline when you have a running QB.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

JigglyPuff wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:21 pm
Bleeds Purple wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:42 pm Now, all the Vikings need is a real starting QB!
Rumors are floating around that the Vikings are trying to trade up to draft Kyler Murray.
:lol: No they aren't.

You guys do realize that all this stuff the McVay, Shannahan etc is running, Kubiack helped invent.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Deep Purple

Post by Deep Purple »

I hope this signing doesn't mean Trevor is still the backup QB. Rick and Mike are ALL IN this year as their contracts are done in 2020. Win this season or thats it.
salamander

Re: Gary Kubiak to join the staff?

Post by salamander »

Ash Ketchum wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:45 am I know Kubiak has had health issues in the past. Didn’t he have to get rushed to the hospital during a game one season?

Maybe he wants a more behind the scenes role than OC?
I wanted him as OC last year because he came out saying he didn't want to be a HC due to health reasons but wanted to return to the game. Even if he's not an OC here, he can only help Kevin run this offense as his right hand man.
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
Ash Ketchum

Post by Ash Ketchum »

Deep Purple wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:41 pm I hope this signing doesn't mean Trevor is still the backup QB. Rick and Mike are ALL IN this year as their contracts are done in 2020. Win this season or thats it.
Who would you rather have?

Obviously, if Seimien had to start the season or play any amount of extended period of time, it would not be good, but like a third of the NFL doesn’t have a good STARTING QB. I’m not going to rip the front office for the backup QB situation.

In a salary cap league, you can’t invest a ton of money for a spot where it probably wouldn’t make a difference. Whoever the most expensive backup QB in the NFL is, he’s still not going to be on the level of someone who could realistically win a SB without a ton of help, so if you’re SB aspirations are over either way if your starting QB goes down, better to use that money to invest in the rest of the roster.
Hector

Post by Hector »

JigglyPuff wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:21 pm
Rumors are floating around that the Vikings are trying to trade up to draft Kyler Murray. No need to draft an oline when you have a running QB.
Haha. I like Kyler but at 5'8" he'd be a big risk to draft early. 3rd round or later, sign me up.
Ask Not
***Official 2018 Froob Bracket Winner and MNRC HOF Member***

Post by Ask Not »

Zimmer likes to have an OC and a back-up OC just in case a finger needs to be pointed.
Ketchup can be nuancy
twgerber

Post by twgerber »

Ash Ketchum wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:52 pm
Deep Purple wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:41 pm I hope this signing doesn't mean Trevor is still the backup QB. Rick and Mike are ALL IN this year as their contracts are done in 2020. Win this season or thats it.
Who would you rather have?

Obviously, if Seimien had to start the season or play any amount of extended period of time, it would not be good, but like a third of the NFL doesn’t have a good STARTING QB. I’m not going to rip the front office for the backup QB situation.

In a salary cap league, you can’t invest a ton of money for a spot where it probably wouldn’t make a difference. Whoever the most expensive backup QB in the NFL is, he’s still not going to be on the level of someone who could realistically win a SB without a ton of help, so if you’re SB aspirations are over either way if your starting QB goes down, better to use that money to invest in the rest of the roster.
I want Sloter to be the backup.
GM Spielman:
  • Record 62-48-2 (.559 winning %)
  • Playoffs 1-3
  • 7 years - reached playoffs 3 times.
  • Winner of the North 2 of last 4 years
Zimmer is 48-33-1
Self High-Five

Post by Self High-Five »

Ask Not wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:24 pm Zimmer likes to have an OC and a back-up OC just in case a finger needs to be pointed.
^This!
"Lisa, if the Bible has taught us nothing else, and it hasn't, it's that girls should stick to girls sports, such as hot oil wrestling and foxy boxing and such and such." - Homer Simpson
Deep Purple

Post by Deep Purple »

The teams backup QB MUST BE an up and coming QB that has a possibility of being the starter not some worthless washed up QB that failed with another team. SLOTER baby!

Overall the GK and gang signing really has a bad vibe going for me. Talk about a desperate team.