Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Crazy Offense Idea

A place to discuss the MN Vikings
Angry Waters

Re: Crazy Offense Idea

Post by Angry Waters »

mankatobjr wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:37 pm
Angry Waters wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:35 pm
mankatobjr wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:18 am Watching Taysom Hill of the Saints yesterday had me wondering about an offense idea. All these Atheltic QBs coming out of college, Think Joe Webb, Tim Tebow, Hill, Braxton Miller, JT Barrett Type, even Marquise Grey type QBs.

Why hasn't a team used 3, 4,5, or even 6 of them on the field at once. Ones that can catch the ball, run with it, Throw. On any play any one of them could "take the snap" Defense would not know who is the WR, or who's the RB, or QB. You could have one who takes more snaps then others.. but I don't know if that is necessary. Get a Smart Center who is green dotted and calls the plays in the huddle.

Imagine having two next two each other in shot gun. Which one is getting the snap? You could motion guys in and out of the QB position.

Maybe it wouldn't work right away on the NFL level.. but if I was coaching a D2 or D3 college team, or a bad D1 school what would you have to lose? Say you are the Gophers... maybe a crazy offense like that would bring your program up.

But Maybe it could work on the NFL Level.

The guy on Fox said yesterday after a Hill ran a "wildcat" play. He ended up not throwing it and ran for the first down. He stated had a RB ran the play they may have thrown it anyways because they aren't experienced at QB enough. So why not take all these college QBs that aren't great "typical" QBs and use them in a unique way. You wouldn't need to spend 30 million on a QB.. You maybe wouldn't even need to spend 15 million on a WR or pro-bowl RB. You' could use cap space to have a great D and Oline. and then have 10 QB/WR/RB (Slash players for those who remember Kordell Stewart).

Either this is a brilliant idea... or people are going to think I am insane (PS- no I am not under the influence at all)
You are clearly capable of thinking outside the box. WAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYY outside the box LOL!
Isn't it more interesting than talking about the same shit these people do on here? Have the same arguments?
No arguments there, sir! And though I don't think this could ever work in the NFL because of roster-size limitations (alluded to earlier in the thread) it could maybe work in college. "Positionless basketball" is now the in-vogue thing in basketball--that would've been unheard of 30 years ago. Maybe positionless football players becomes the norm someday. I doubt it, but who knows? Just think, there was a time when the forward pass was football's 'lunatic fringe'.
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

Angry Waters wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:50 pm
You are clearly capable of thinking outside the box. WAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYY outside the box LOL!
Isn't it more interesting than talking about the same shit these people do on here? Have the same arguments?
No arguments there, sir! And though I don't think this could ever work in the NFL because of roster-size limitations (alluded to earlier in the thread) it could maybe work in college. "Positionless basketball" is now the in-vogue thing in basketball--that would've been unheard of 30 years ago. Maybe positionless football players becomes the norm someday. I doubt it, but who knows? Just think, there was a time when the forward pass was football's 'lunatic fringe'.
Positionless basketball is the biggest myth of the NBA. Positions are still broken down by size. You arent going to be able to run a full team of PG's or centers. There are a few positionless players, like Ben Simmons, Lebron, Giannis, but not really any positionless teams, with the exception of maybe GSW.

To stay on topic of the OP though, the idea of running out 6 Joe Webbs and Tim Tebows is bonkers. By doing that, you are just putting 6 bad players on the field who don't really do anything well.
Angry Waters

Post by Angry Waters »

bubu dubu. wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:07 pm

Positionless basketball is the biggest myth of the NBA. Positions are still broken down by size. You arent going to be able to run a full team of PG's or centers. There are a few positionless players, like Ben Simmons, Lebron, Giannis, but not really any positionless teams, with the exception of maybe GSW.

To stay on topic of the OP though, the idea of running out 6 Joe Webbs and Tim Tebows is bonkers. By doing that, you are just putting 6 bad players on the field who don't really do anything well.
Budu,
I wouldn't take the thread too seriously. I think the OP was just trying to have a little fun. Nothing wrong with that, crazy as it may be. In regards to the NBA, I'll refrain from any more comments on that--I don't watch pro hoops anymore. So, my frame of reference is what I hear/see on TV shows like "First Things First", etc...
mankatobjr

Post by mankatobjr »

players who are bad in the sense of "traditional" football positions. Thats the point you don't understand because you can only think of traditional terms. Most of these guys were highly successful football players in college. Look at the 3 QBs from Ohio St. your telling me that athletes can'tplay football? Are you the same type of person who said 5 years ago that Adam Thielen had no business playing NFL football.

You know who also doesn't fit the norm of traditional football? Kalil Mack. Not really a LB and not really a DE just a god dam good football player. Teams knew players like this existed so they invented a 3-4 Defense. To get these guys on the field. He can rush the passer without having to play a traditional DE position with his hand on the ground.. getting killed by tackles.

And if you think basketball isn't positionless then you are crazy. It has evolved from the.. Short guy runs point.. slightly taller guy plays the 2 guard.. medium guy plays small forward.. big guy plays PF and really tall dude plays Center. The Center position is really no more. The SG/SF are now mostly interchangeable. The point guard has gone from the short guy who passes to a guy who scores.

Lets look at baseball.. teams now move players into different spot on the field. I never saw a 2nd baseman play shallow right field and a SS play between 2nd/ and 1st with one guy between 2nd/3rd before a few years ago.. but baseball has evolved. Football could to in a sense. If you are a team without a great QB and skilled players.. why not invent a new way to play offense? The idea is to get the ball in the hands of an athlete and let him makes some plays and gets some yards. Get out in the open field and see what happens. Its not rocket science that this WR has to take 10.5 steps and turns left and the ball is there. Its about opening up and let the SLASH make a play. Imagine Lamar Jackson getting the ball on a WR screen and just a CB to elude. 10 yards boom. Can't roll coverage over to him to stop that if the guy on the other side (say Kyle Murray) can do the same. Or is Tayson Hill in the slot.. wait now he is motioning in and takes the snap. What do you defend? Do you take slow Nose tackle off the field and replace with a LB? Now you mash up the middle running a player. You can't put sub defensive packages in becuse you don't know how they will line up based on personnel on offense.
"Jobber's all over the board. Sometimes level-headed, sometimes out of this world. It's fun and scary all at the same time." CDM24 (And he is 100% right)

They call me Jobber... I have learn to not only accept it, but embrace it.
mankatobjr

Post by mankatobjr »

Angry Waters wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:27 pm

Budu,
I wouldn't take the thread too seriously. I think the OP was just trying to have a little fun. Nothing wrong with that, crazy as it may be. In regards to the NBA, I'll refrain from any more comments on that--I don't watch pro hoops anymore. So, my frame of reference is what I hear/see on TV shows like "First Things First", etc...
most of these people can't think of something new. Would rather argue the same thing over.. "Fire Rick" "Kirk is great" "Kirk sucks" "Zim Coach of the year" "Fire Zim" blah blah blah. I don;t know if it would work... but I can't say it wouldn't work. If you were a struggling team without a franchise QB (which is about 25 teams) why not doing something different? There are only so many Tom Brady and Drew Brees. What has a traditional QB and offense gotten the Lions since Stafford was there? No where.
"Jobber's all over the board. Sometimes level-headed, sometimes out of this world. It's fun and scary all at the same time." CDM24 (And he is 100% right)

Ash Ketchum

Post by Ash Ketchum »

mankatobjr wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:26 pm
Ash Ketchum wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:14 pm
mankatobjr wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:09 pm

These would be Tayson hill type players.. who can play special teams because they are athletes. You aren't always having the same QB take a snap and getting it 2 second player. lets say you have player A, B, C, D, E, F (thats 6 skilled players on snap). Any one of those players could line up to take the snap. The defense wouldn't know until play started. Would make harder for teams to substitute based on personal. Say "A" is a little better arm and "C" runs better routes. and "B" is a little better runner. Until the play starts not sure who lines up at QB. so defense can't match up. They play the guys they have out there. No your whole offense is different because you have 6 (add 2 more regular subs) so 8 different persons. The team has to be prepared for anyone one of them getting the ball, throwing etc. Each play would be different because of who is where. So Defense could not pick up on tendencies.
In theory, sure, sounds awesome.

But you ABSOLUTELY could not install this type of offense unless you somehow already were fortunate enough to have these types of players on your roster.

How often would you run this trickery?

You will need to run some traditional passing plays a good amount of the time, and at that point you’re saying there are several players on the field who aren’t really WRs?

Who are these magical players who can play QB and WR or RB and can switch between positions on the fly at an NFL level?
Why do you have to run a traditional Offense?

Start with say Baltimore. They have Jackson. Now roster 10 other guys. You aren't running it like an offense is no.

I get would be hard to do because would take a season on the NFL level to get the players.. unless you targeted players with the idea knowing the first year wouldn't work.

The team would need a good defense. Which Baltimore has. Who do they have at WR and RB? No one to write home about. Add some Athletes and run with it. Now give it another offseason and get the players in place. Your GM and owner would need to be on board and give you the 2 years you needed. But its not like they are winning the Superbowl next year with their roster.
You have to run a traditional passing offense some of the time. On obvious passing downs, 3rd and long, etc. You just have to.

NFL defenses and coaches are too good and too smart for you to completely play sandlot football 100% of the time. Teams will just play you straight up and not go for any of the gadgets and make you throw the football in a traditional way. Lamar Jackson can’t even do that yet.
Ash Ketchum

Post by Ash Ketchum »

mankatobjr wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:43 pm

players who are bad in the sense of "traditional" football positions. Thats the point you don't understand because you can only think of traditional terms. Most of these guys were highly successful football players in college. Look at the 3 QBs from Ohio St. your telling me that athletes can'tplay football? Are you the same type of person who said 5 years ago that Adam Thielen had no business playing NFL football.

You know who also doesn't fit the norm of traditional football? Kalil Mack. Not really a LB and not really a DE just a god dam good football player. Teams knew players like this existed so they invented a 3-4 Defense. To get these guys on the field. He can rush the passer without having to play a traditional DE position with his hand on the ground.. getting killed by tackles.

And if you think basketball isn't positionless then you are crazy. It has evolved from the.. Short guy runs point.. slightly taller guy plays the 2 guard.. medium guy plays small forward.. big guy plays PF and really tall dude plays Center. The Center position is really no more. The SG/SF are now mostly interchangeable. The point guard has gone from the short guy who passes to a guy who scores.

Lets look at baseball.. teams now move players into different spot on the field. I never saw a 2nd baseman play shallow right field and a SS play between 2nd/ and 1st with one guy between 2nd/3rd before a few years ago.. but baseball has evolved. Football could to in a sense. If you are a team without a great QB and skilled players.. why not invent a new way to play offense? The idea is to get the ball in the hands of an athlete and let him makes some plays and gets some yards. Get out in the open field and see what happens. Its not rocket science that this WR has to take 10.5 steps and turns left and the ball is there. Its about opening up and let the SLASH make a play. Imagine Lamar Jackson getting the ball on a WR screen and just a CB to elude. 10 yards boom. Can't roll coverage over to him to stop that if the guy on the other side (say Kyle Murray) can do the same. Or is Tayson Hill in the slot.. wait now he is motioning in and takes the snap. What do you defend? Do you take slow Nose tackle off the field and replace with a LB? Now you mash up the middle running a player. You can't put sub defensive packages in becuse you don't know how they will line up based on personnel on offense.
Serious question:

If you were the OC of this offense you are proposing, what would your first fifteen plays of the game look like?
PurpleFloyd

Post by PurpleFloyd »

mankatobjr wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:18 am Watching Taysom Hill of the Saints yesterday had me wondering about an offense idea. All these Atheltic QBs coming out of college, Think Joe Webb, Tim Tebow, Hill, Braxton Miller, JT Barrett Type, even Marquise Grey type QBs.

Why hasn't a team used 3, 4,5, or even 6 of them on the field at once. Ones that can catch the ball, run with it, Throw. On any play any one of them could "take the snap" Defense would not know who is the WR, or who's the RB, or QB. You could have one who takes more snaps then others.. but I don't know if that is necessary. Get a Smart Center who is green dotted and calls the plays in the huddle.

Imagine having two next two each other in shot gun. Which one is getting the snap? You could motion guys in and out of the QB position.

Maybe it wouldn't work right away on the NFL level.. but if I was coaching a D2 or D3 college team, or a bad D1 school what would you have to lose? Say you are the Gophers... maybe a crazy offense like that would bring your program up.

But Maybe it could work on the NFL Level.

The guy on Fox said yesterday after a Hill ran a "wildcat" play. He ended up not throwing it and ran for the first down. He stated had a RB ran the play they may have thrown it anyways because they aren't experienced at QB enough. So why not take all these college QBs that aren't great "typical" QBs and use them in a unique way. You wouldn't need to spend 30 million on a QB.. You maybe wouldn't even need to spend 15 million on a WR or pro-bowl RB. You' could use cap space to have a great D and Oline. and then have 10 QB/WR/RB (Slash players for those who remember Kordell Stewart).

Either this is a brilliant idea... or people are going to think I am insane (PS- no I am not under the influence at all)
Maybe just play the same 11 guys all game so the other team doesn't know if you are on offense, defense or special teams on any given play.
In Kwesi we trust.
JPM
Formerly Clarkgriswald

Post by JPM »

hategreenticemase wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:52 am
JPM wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:11 am I've always thought take a 7 footer and use for goal line WR or short yardage situation. If you can have a guy who just kicks off why not a basketball 6'10" or above basketball player.

Clark, by far my favorite part of your routines like this one - when you embarrass the little morons like this and they dont know you are doing it. :lol:

This may end up being one of my all time favorite threads. I will just make that prediction right now. :lol:
Except I'm dead serious. Playing pick up with Randy Breuer all those years had me come up with this.
40+ year Viking fan turned Packer fan turned J-E-T-S fan.
B-Town

Post by B-Town »

mankatobjr wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:54 pm
B-Town wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:26 pm
mankatobjr wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:29 am

In the traditional sense of their position.. maybe. But that's where the motions and unknowns offset it. You don't run it like a normal offense. And you have 6 "skilled" players that can touch the ball on the field at once. 2 have to be on the line.

And you are using the best athletes.. the ones not being utilized because they don't fit into the "norm" of a particular position. They can throw.. but maybe not the pinpoint accuracy of Aaron Rodgers.. They can catch, but maybe not the route running of Diggs/Thielen. They have speed and can run with the ball, but maybe not like Gurely.

It wouldn't be run in a traditional sense of an offense is now. Would be different.

Would it work? At some levels I think. In the NFL? I don't know. At first it would.. but how long before defenses caught up?
I mean, in the Madden sense, it works. But I think we're missing the bottom line, which is that, once all of the motion and gadgetry is done, there still is a QB taking the snap and doing something with the ball. There are still WRs running routes. If those guys aren't doing those things at an NFL level, then how does this offense succeed? Also, what happens if one of your QB/WR/RBs gets hurt? Install a completely different offense?
They are NFL type players... The Likes of Tayson Hill.. and Braxton Miller, JT Barrett. Joe Webbs.. they aren't NFL Players? How many others who never got a chance? Your roster is filled with them.

Take Vikings active roster they have 2 qbs, 5 WR, 4 RBs, and 3 TE active a game thats 14 "skilled" position players. Say you keep one real QB type. One "real" RB and one TE. You have that available for needing to running out the clock/short yardage. So you still have 11 of these SLASH players on active roster. They could be switching out as needed.

Yes you still have someone taking the snap. But who? Changes. And running say a jet sweep into a pass. The two guys lined up in shot gun.. snapped to one the other is now either a WR or stays in to block. Could call confusion on D. Would be hard to run man to man against. So playing more zone.

You aren't stuck with the.. well he's my qb and i live and die with him (see Kirk cousins). you have 6 athletes on the field at once.. The QB position is already moving towards that with Watson, Mahomes, Trubisky, Jackson.. Now you are surrounding those types with others similar. You are playing 6 of those guys at once (obviously those guys are better "QBs" that what you'd have)

No one says all offense moving forward has to look the same.
Sure, but again, Joe Webb was a terrible QB and has never broken into a viable role at WR. You want to roster 11 Joe Webb type players to shuttle in and out of the skill positions?
Dayman, Fighter of the Nightman.

Stup up, Abe!
mankatobjr

Post by mankatobjr »

B-Town wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:30 am
mankatobjr wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:54 pm
B-Town wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:26 pm

I mean, in the Madden sense, it works. But I think we're missing the bottom line, which is that, once all of the motion and gadgetry is done, there still is a QB taking the snap and doing something with the ball. There are still WRs running routes. If those guys aren't doing those things at an NFL level, then how does this offense succeed? Also, what happens if one of your QB/WR/RBs gets hurt? Install a completely different offense?
They are NFL type players... The Likes of Tayson Hill.. and Braxton Miller, JT Barrett. Joe Webbs.. they aren't NFL Players? How many others who never got a chance? Your roster is filled with them.

Take Vikings active roster they have 2 qbs, 5 WR, 4 RBs, and 3 TE active a game thats 14 "skilled" position players. Say you keep one real QB type. One "real" RB and one TE. You have that available for needing to running out the clock/short yardage. So you still have 11 of these SLASH players on active roster. They could be switching out as needed.

Yes you still have someone taking the snap. But who? Changes. And running say a jet sweep into a pass. The two guys lined up in shot gun.. snapped to one the other is now either a WR or stays in to block. Could call confusion on D. Would be hard to run man to man against. So playing more zone.

You aren't stuck with the.. well he's my qb and i live and die with him (see Kirk cousins). you have 6 athletes on the field at once.. The QB position is already moving towards that with Watson, Mahomes, Trubisky, Jackson.. Now you are surrounding those types with others similar. You are playing 6 of those guys at once (obviously those guys are better "QBs" that what you'd have)

No one says all offense moving forward has to look the same.
Sure, but again, Joe Webb was a terrible QB and has never broken into a viable role at WR. You want to roster 11 Joe Webb type players to shuttle in and out of the skill positions?
Joe Webb was terrible in the traditional role of a QB. But this isn't a typical role. And I used Joe Webb as an example of an athlete because most people here know his name. How many other athletes are there? Colin Capernick would have fit into this. You could argue Russell Wilson. He's not a drop back pocket passer (although he has a better/accurate arm then these other guys).

Would Joe Webb have been a better WR if he was allowed to play only WR? He has never been that. He has always been a QB who does other stuff. He was a back-up to Cam Newton for years who they used on special teams because they had a traditional back-up. But had Cam gotten hurt Webb could have run Cam type plays. Which is why he is now in Houston Behind Watson. Teams can roster a QB who does the athletic stuff their non traditional QB does but gets more out of him.

mankatobjr

Post by mankatobjr »

Ash Ketchum wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:00 pm
mankatobjr wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:43 pm

Serious question:

If you were the OC of this offense you are proposing, what would your first fifteen plays of the game look like?
Oh yeah.. I got a whole offensive play book written out. There is not a single person in here who really understands an offense. People like to think they know something but they have no clue. There is way more to it. These people here cute terms like RPO and they think they know what they are talking about. They don't understand the likes of if this CB is off the ball and shading inside you run 7 yard cut to the left. But if he is shading to the outside and the LB is here you run 8 yard hitch. (and I have no idea if thats a thing either.) I actually know a D2 College OC from MSU (our kids are friends).. I wouldn't even begin to know the details of what his offense looks like.. much less a NFL one. Maybe next time I see him I will bring the idea up to him. Probably not.

Dude

Post by Dude »

mankatobjr wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:00 amThere is not a single person in here who really understands an offense. People like to think they know something but they have no clue. There is way more to it.
:holds up mirror:
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

If I was an nfl cornerback, I’d be thrilled to be asked to cover joe Webb and Tim Tebow rather than Julio Jones and Antonio Brown. Also, knowing I’d be dealing with joe Webb and Tim Tebow accuracy instead of Drew Brees or Aaron Rodgers accuracy would be nice too.

Just play man coverage and make these “Swiss army knife” type guys beat you.
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
mankatobjr

Post by mankatobjr »

Dude wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:43 am
mankatobjr wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:00 amThere is not a single person in here who really understands an offense. People like to think they know something but they have no clue. There is way more to it.
Did I not say I wouldn't have a clue? I was counting me in saying I don't know either. But I am pretty sure some of these people think they could step into Rick Speilman's or Mike Zimmer's or the OC's job today and do it better.

mankatobjr

Post by mankatobjr »

Beef Supreme wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:59 am If I was an nfl cornerback, I’d be thrilled to be asked to cover joe Webb and Tim Tebow rather than Julio Jones and Antonio Brown. Also, knowing I’d be dealing with joe Webb and Tim Tebow accuracy instead of Drew Brees or Aaron Rodgers accuracy would be nice too.

Just play man coverage and make these “Swiss army knife” type guys beat you.
and it zone coverage where these guys are getting out in space is where they beat you. an NFL corner knows how to defend Julio Jones.. knows what he is gonna do, Say Xavier plays him and will shadow him. He knows who he has 95% of the plays. Now take these other guys in their he doesn't know who he is going up against. Now he has to try and make an open field tackle against Lamar Jackson. Next play he has to match the speed/size of Tayson hill. Next play he is dealing with a jet sweep to the other side as the jet sweep turned into a pass who is more accurate then a typical WR. The ego of a top CB would much rather go up against a top #1 WR then play zone against this stuff.

How many QB's have the accuracy of Brees and Rodgers? If you don't have one of thos 6 or 7 Qbs (and that may be too many) what do you have to lose? You don't think this offense would have worked better than the Bills offense until Allen got later in the season? But what about the 2016 Bills Offense? What about the Browns offense the 5 years prior to Baker Mayfield?

Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Don’t play zone.

Simple.

Or play unpredictable zones where you confuse the sub-par qb throwing the ball.

Your offense might work against a bad defense playing a soft zone with little pass rush. But so would a traditional offense.

Your idea is a gimmick that might work from time to time, but would require too many dedicated roster spots to pull off and would not be enough to build a sustainable offense for 70 plays/game.

- Isaac Asimov
mankatobjr

Post by mankatobjr »

Beef Supreme wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:14 am Don’t play zone.

Simple.

Or play unpredictable zones where you confuse the sub-par qb throwing the ball.

Your offense might work against a bad defense playing a soft zone with little pass rush. But so would a traditional offense.

Your idea is a gimmick that might work from time to time, but would require too many dedicated roster spots to pull off and would not be enough to build a sustainable offense for 70 plays/game.
So now they are playing man against guys going in motion and not really knowing who will be out in routes or not.

Could a team run it a limited time? Lets examine the vikings game day roster. Lets say they had kept Keenun and not signed Kirk.

So you drafted Lamar Jackson to be the back-up to Keenun (not unrealastic), You still have a different QB on roster but not game day active.

Now you take Brandon Zylstra off and replace with JT Barrett (on Saints PS squad so he was gettable). You don't think he couldn't play ST similar to Zylstra?

Now you take Amer Abdulah. Basically he returned kicks. one of these guys (or Marcus Sherels) could have returned kicks. Tayson Hill

Now take Mike Boone off roster and replace him with Cardele Jones (who was traded for a conditional pick last summer and was on chargers practice squad) so was gettable. On game day active roster he takes the spot of Tyler Conklin... they hardly ran 3 TEs.

now you have a hard decision. Do you want both treadwell and aldrick robinson? Can you replace one of them? Yes. Say Joe Webb. Could he not do the same thing as one of those guys?

You still have 3 traditional WRs (Diggs, Thielen, Treadwell) and a tradional QB (Case) and 2 RBS (Murray/Cook) and Ham (which could be replaced with one of these types too) and two TEs. So can still run a regular offense. Now your back=ups are Webb/Barrett/Jones. They aren't any worse then a teams 4th/5th WR anyways.

Now you could run an offense with this personal. Jackson/Jones/Barret/Webb/Hill Plus you could have Diggs or Thielen or Cook out there You couldn't run a series with these guys and cause problems?

Now if it works you can start doing it more and more. And eventually you can tailor your offense to more of these guys. And add more of them to the roster... taking the place of the Chad Bebee and Treadwell and the 2nd TE. And yes even the 3rd string and eventually 1st string QB.

Dude

Post by Dude »

mankatobjr wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:02 am
Did I not say I wouldn't have a clue? I was counting me in saying I don't know either. But I am pretty sure some of these people think they could step into Rick Speilman's or Mike Zimmer's or the OC's job today and do it better.
I get that, and I realize you're already establishing that it's a crazy idea...

But you're doubling down on this theory when literally everyone else who's chimed in thinks it's crazy.
mankatobjr

Post by mankatobjr »

Dude wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:41 am
mankatobjr wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:02 am

I get that, and I realize you're already establishing that it's a crazy idea...

But you're doubling down on this theory when literally everyone else who's chimed in thinks it's crazy.
I can't play devil's advocate? Plus no one has really said why it wouldn't work except these guys aren't Above average QBs and Wrs. But my point is they wouldn't need to be because its not traditional.

Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Less Diggs and Thielen and more JT Barrett and Cardale Jones.

I don’t think that’s a good plan.

- Isaac Asimov
Dude

Post by Dude »

mankatobjr wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:49 am

I can't play devil's advocate? Plus no one has really said why it wouldn't work except these guys aren't Above average QBs and Wrs. But my point is they wouldn't need to be because its not traditional.
Fair enough. Let's just leave it at "I disagree and think it's a crazy idea.."
mankatobjr

Post by mankatobjr »

Beef Supreme wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:50 am Less Diggs and Thielen and more JT Barrett and Cardale Jones.

I only used the Vikings as an example because I know how their roster is set up. I could have used Baltimore but I really don't know their roster.

Yes Ideally when you have two top 10 Wrs you don't need to run this offense. But What teams have this? Few. What teams have a franchise QB? A real franchise QB? 6? their isn't one team in the NFL that this wouldn't be a better option?

Again I only used the Vikings offense as an example to show how you could start it first year.. since I knew their roster.

Plus though with this offense you aren't paying a 15 mil WR another 10 Mil Wr and a 28 Mil QB. You are paying 11 guys 3-5 mil a peice and you still have 120 mil to spend on D and Oline.

cunningham

Post by cunningham »

I just wished we drafted another quarterback period since Teddy. It has been way too many years!
mankatobjr

Post by mankatobjr »

TrueBlue wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:01 am
I like it. lets just practice for an extra hour each day on throwing technique. We'll have 52 QBs on the roster!
Sure.. instead of the WR spending 30 minutes after practice catching from Juggs machine.. They are just trowing to each other.

And Maybe its tweaked that 2 QBs are taking 90% of the snaps/throws and the other 4 are doing it sporadically during the games. IDK.

I have seen plenty of bad football games with boring offenses. this would atleast be more interesting to watch then a 6-9 fg game with 12 "3 and outs"

cunningham

Post by cunningham »

Baseball has pitchers to change things up - having multiple quarterbacks might be a way to beat film and change things up too. Like a change of pace back does.
Dude

Post by Dude »

TrueBlue wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:01 am
I like it. lets just practice for an extra hour each day on throwing technique. We'll have 52 QBs on the roster!
https://imgur.com/r/nfl/keaLs

(It wouldn't let me paste the GIF but the click is worth an lol)
mankatobjr

Post by mankatobjr »

cunningham wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:15 am I just wished we drafted another quarterback period since Teddy. It has been way too many years!
Why draft a 6th round QB when you can get a German WR

mankatobjr

Post by mankatobjr »

Dude wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:24 am
Sally wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:01 am
https://imgur.com/r/nfl/keaLs

(It wouldn't let me paste the GIF but the click is worth an lol)
He threw better than McNabb in 2011

Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

mankatobjr wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:59 am
Beef Supreme wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:50 am Less Diggs and Thielen and more JT Barrett and Cardale Jones.

I only used the Vikings as an example because I know how their roster is set up. I could have used Baltimore but I really don't know their roster.

Yes Ideally when you have two top 10 Wrs you don't need to run this offense. But What teams have this? Few. What teams have a franchise QB? A real franchise QB? 6? their isn't one team in the NFL that this wouldn't be a better option?

Again I only used the Vikings offense as an example to show how you could start it first year.. since I knew their roster.

Plus though with this offense you aren't paying a 15 mil WR another 10 Mil Wr and a 28 Mil QB. You are paying 11 guys 3-5 mil a peice and you still have 120 mil to spend on D and Oline.
I kinda get what you're trying to do. Any maybe a team set up this way would have more offensive success that a team with poor talent trying to run a traditional offense. But I can't imagine an offense like this being able to win a division, make noise in the playoffs, and win a championship. A talented defense with a creative scheme would shut this offense down like an outdoor water park in the winter.

It reminds me of the "wildcat" offense flirtation the NFL went through about a decade ago. Some teams (Miami, with Ronnie Brown) used it extensively. But it never went anywhere and no teams that really made noise employed it. Now, you see it as a gadget wrinkle from time-to-time.

But, by all means. Try to prove everyone wrong. Sell this idea to football guys and if it takes hold and takes over the NFL by storm, I'll buy you a ticket to watch your brainchild in the Super Bowl.

Until then, we can just agree to disagree that this would ever work.

- Isaac Asimov