Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Stefanski Says He’s Changing the Offense in 2019

A place to discuss the MN Vikings
Deep Purple

Re: Stefanski Says He’s Changing the Offense in 2019

Post by Deep Purple »

If your offensive linemen are strong and able to move bodies around the play calling is not as important. I love teams that can run the ball and don't hide it. Just pure powerhouse football. Remember the year Adrian ran wild? You don't think defenses knew he would get the football?
Herky

Post by Herky »

All I know is that I hope Zimmer leaves him alone and he's allowed to be more like Shurmer was when he was here.
Da Gas Man

Post by Da Gas Man »

Deep Purple wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:05 am If your offensive linemen are strong and able to move bodies around the play calling is not as important. I love teams that can run the ball and don't hide it. Just pure powerhouse football. Remember the year Adrian ran wild? You don't think defenses knew he would get the football?
While that is great and that is true, that has been the problem with the Vikings. The desire to impose their will.

All the great offenses say "yes, I can telegraph what I am doing and you can't stop me but imagine if we had that ability and still called plays designed to keep you off balance. Why give up an extra advantage just because we can beat you with execution?"
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Deep Purple wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:05 am If your offensive linemen are strong and able to move bodies around the play calling is not as important. I love teams that can run the ball and don't hide it. Just pure powerhouse football. Remember the year Adrian ran wild? You don't think defenses knew he would get the football?
The fact is, this isn't enough because defenses are too fast and strong in the modern NFL. YOu are not going to blow teams and "move bodies around".
Ash Ketchum

Post by Ash Ketchum »

mlhouse wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:48 pm
The fact is, this isn't enough because defenses are too fast and strong in the modern NFL. YOu are not going to blow teams and "move bodies around".
This is correct.

Too many Rubes see a single sack or a failed rushing attempt and get all upset at the offensive line.

The fact is that even the best offensive lines in the game today give up QB pressures, QB hits, sacks and tackles for loss... multiple times per game. Sure, the better offensive lines are better about limiting the number of times this happens, but all NFL linemen are “strong and can move bodies around.” The problem is that defensive linemen are also strong and do not wish to be moved around.

The days of offensive lines just dominating games to the point where you don’t need to scheme effectively are over. There will be periods of time where teams can impose their will on the ground (LA Rams did it this weekend), but that alone can’t carry you for an entire season.

AP’s season was predicated on the fact that he was the best runner of the football in modern history and put forth IMO the single greatest effort for a RB ever in one season. That year, people were unhappy with the O-line as well.

Yes, the Vikings need to improve the OL. Obviously.

But we’ve already improved it from what it was in 2016, just not enough. I just fear that Rubes won’t be satisfied with the OL unless they are a historically good unit who the analysts on TV all fawn over. Even if we add a great piece or two, and the line ranks in the top third in the league, there will still be sacks, Kirk will still get hit and Cook will still get stuffed at the line sometimes.
Deep Purple

Post by Deep Purple »

Ash Ketchum wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:07 pm
mlhouse wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:48 pm
This is correct.

Too many Rubes see a single sack or a failed rushing attempt and get all upset at the offensive line.

The fact is that even the best offensive lines in the game today give up QB pressures, QB hits, sacks and tackles for loss... multiple times per game. Sure, the better offensive lines are better about limiting the number of times this happens, but all NFL linemen are “strong and can move bodies around.” The problem is that defensive linemen are also strong and do not wish to be moved around.

The days of offensive lines just dominating games to the point where you don’t need to scheme effectively are over. There will be periods of time where teams can impose their will on the ground (LA Rams did it this weekend), but that alone can’t carry you for an entire season.

AP’s season was predicated on the fact that he was the best runner of the football in modern history and put forth IMO the single greatest effort for a RB ever in one season. That year, people were unhappy with the O-line as well.

Yes, the Vikings need to improve the OL. Obviously.

But we’ve already improved it from what it was in 2016, just not enough. I just fear that Rubes won’t be satisfied with the OL unless they are a historically good unit who the analysts on TV all fawn over. Even if we add a great piece or two, and the line ranks in the top third in the league, there will still be sacks, Kirk will still get hit and Cook will still get stuffed at the line sometimes.
The Rams and Patriots Offensive Lines owned the world during their playoff victories. The Rams and Patriots offensive lines completely destroyed today's top Defensive lineman and it wasn't even close. If a very old slow running back that got cut twice this year turns into Hershel Walker in his prime I am going to be brave and say the Rams offensive line is King.
salamander

Post by salamander »

I hope it's a Kick Ass Offense.
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.