Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Stefanski Says He’s Changing the Offense in 2019

A place to discuss the MN Vikings
Ash Ketchum

Stefanski Says He’s Changing the Offense in 2019

Post by Ash Ketchum »

https://www.vikings.com/news/kevin-stef ... 05833339=1

Any guesses on what type of offensive scheme he will run and/or what the major differences will be between 18 and 19?

I’m excited. Jumping into the gig in Week 14 is rough as an OC. You don’t get to install much of your own stuff at that point. Will be interested to see what his philosphy will be.

Hopefully he will adapt to our strengths and utilize the talent he has rather than rigidly forcing players to fit into his predetermined scheme.

I want to see a lot of Dalvin Cook in space. More screens to him, more outside/stretch plays in the run game. Compliment him with a big back in the draft who can handle the grunt work and lean on the run game as much as you can. And let’s utilize play action. Keep defenses on their toes.

I want to cool it with the Diggs jet sweeps and bubble screens. Let’s Thielen be his crafty self and find those soft spots in zones, and use Diggs’ more dynamic skill set for big plays.
Hector

Re: Stefanski Says He’s Changing the Offense in 2019

Post by Hector »

With what Cousins does, I'm thinking TEs down the seams should be more prevalent...more fullback use like Shurmur. No idea really.
Ash Ketchum

Post by Ash Ketchum »

Hector wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:09 pm With what Cousins does, I'm thinking TEs down the seams should be more prevalent...more fullback use like Shurmur. No idea really.
Good point on the TEs.

I feel like Cousins needs that safety valve over the middle of he field. I love Rudolph but I really think they could use a more dynamic player in his spot.
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

I'm excited to see what he's got. He's spent twelve years observing a lot of OCs come and go in this organization. I'm hoping he'll be able to use Dalvin in more space and I do think it's time we look for another TE that can stretch the field more, Rudolph just isn't quite up there with the Kelces and Ertzs and he isn't getting any younger.
Ash Ketchum

Post by Ash Ketchum »

The fact that he seems to be incredibly detailed and well prepared makes me excited.

Sick of watching opposing offenses fooling our defense with timely play calling and clever schemes. We need to be that team that keeps defenses guessing.

Seriously, if ingenius play calling can result in just one or two big plays per game (think that play against the Rams where they had Barr covering a WR running deep) because you cross up the defense, that can be huge.
Tmoney

Post by Tmoney »

Ash Ketchum wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:16 pm
Hector wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:09 pm With what Cousins does, I'm thinking TEs down the seams should be more prevalent...more fullback use like Shurmur. No idea really.
Good point on the TEs.

I feel like Cousins needs that safety valve over the middle of he field. I love Rudolph but I really think they could use a more dynamic player in his spot.
A TE should be a mismatch, but Rudy can be covered by anyone on the field.

He is almost a handcuff at this point. No speed, no moves, and goes down easily.

Lucky he catches everything, no matter the coverage.

And he is tall, that helps
Tmoney

Post by Tmoney »

He doesn't block well either
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

Does this mean he'll have a 2nd running play? That would be EXTRA tricky.
Straight Edge Raven

Post by Straight Edge Raven »

Hopefully they learn how to throw the ball to at least the 1st down marker on 3rd downs.
Slava Ukraini
The dildo of consequences rarely arrives lubed
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Increased pace, more timing routes, more vertical action.
PurpleFloyd

Post by PurpleFloyd »

Whatever it is, he said it's really a kick ass offense if executed properly.
In Kwesi we trust.
EnLiteEndOne

Post by EnLiteEndOne »

I'm much more satisfied with Stefanski getting an opportunity to create his offense than hiring Adam Gase and his constant bubble screens. He was awful in Chicago and Miami and I wanted nothing to do with him here. Manning and the Denver D made him look good in his first coordinator stint.

I don't know if Kevin will be successful but he has a chance to make his mark.
Lampin'
Ash Ketchum

Post by Ash Ketchum »

Straight Edge Raven wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:57 pm Hopefully they learn how to throw the ball to at least the 1st down marker on 3rd downs.
They weren’t nearly as bad about this as they were in the TJack/Ponder/Teddy eras.

I know fans hate when a team is at 3rd and 17 and run a draw or little dump off pass, but you realize that’s by design?

At that down and distance, the defense knows where you need to get to and they all park themselves at the sticks making it hard to throw that distance. Sometimes you need to punt and live to fight another day.
DonaldDouchebag

Post by DonaldDouchebag »

I’d like to see a bigger back and also a scat back who can split wide and run routes.
Like that, y'all, pop some more shit.
DonaldDouchebag

Post by DonaldDouchebag »

Ash Ketchum wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:29 pm
Straight Edge Raven wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:57 pm Hopefully they learn how to throw the ball to at least the 1st down marker on 3rd downs.
They weren’t nearly as bad about this as they were in the TJack/Ponder/Teddy eras.

I know fans hate when a team is at 3rd and 17 and run a draw or little dump off pass, but you realize that’s by design?

At that down and distance, the defense knows where you need to get to and they all park themselves at the sticks making it hard to throw that distance. Sometimes you need to punt and live to fight another day.
Yeah, but on 3rd and 7 they still throw a 6 yard pass. It’s maddening and I think it has to do with having no run game for defenses to worry about.
Like that, y'all, pop some more shit.
Why Not Us

Post by Why Not Us »

Well then we need some TEs who want to make those plays. Kyle likes to live in the flats, fall down before contact so he doesn't take a hit and run OB as soon as the ball comes. He has no interest in running down the middle of the field or running over people to get extra yards.
PurpleFloyd

Post by PurpleFloyd »

Considering the league is doing more to enhance the passing game and we have had OL problems since 2006 it might be beneficial to think about spreading out the defense and making the defense protect more of the field.
In Kwesi we trust.
Ash Ketchum

Post by Ash Ketchum »

Also a Tarik Cohen or Darren Sproles type player would do wonders for this offense. Give defenses who already need to worry about both Diggs and Thielen something extra to have to scheme for.
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

Hopefully he is adjusting the offense to the personnel, rather than bowing to Zim.

Maybe it means more running, maybe not. Just don't force the run cause Zim says so.
Simpson Get Lifted

Post by Simpson Get Lifted »

bubu dubu. wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:56 am Hopefully he is adjusting the offense to the personnel, rather than bowing to Zim.

Maybe it means more running, maybe not. Just don't force the run cause Zim says so.
That'd be my concern as well. Spreading things out sounds great, but if Zim is pushing jumbo style run crap, we have a problem.
Hector

Post by Hector »

Why Not Us wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:53 pm
Well then we need some TEs who want to make those plays. Kyle likes to live in the flats, fall down before contact so he doesn't take a hit and run OB as soon as the ball comes. He has no interest in running down the middle of the field or running over people to get extra yards.
I'm for getting rid of Kyle and have been for a while. This doesn't look like a great tight end year but Demetrius Harris may be an Erik Ebron lite type signing that can get it done down the hashes.
Ash Ketchum

Post by Ash Ketchum »

Simpson Get Lifted wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:03 am
bubu dubu. wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:56 am Hopefully he is adjusting the offense to the personnel, rather than bowing to Zim.

That'd be my concern as well. Spreading things out sounds great, but if Zim is pushing jumbo style run crap, we have a problem.
I think Zimmer just wanted more awareness of situations.

The Seahawks game, it was 4th and 1 and DFlip tried to get cute and run playaction. Beyond that, anyone who watched the games has to admit there were many games where we abandoned the run way too early.

I don’t think Zimmer is trying to force the team to be a smash mouth running team. He just wants balance and to call the game according to what the situation calls for, not always trying to outsmart the defense when you don’t need to.

I don’t know if this is completely related to who the OC is, but something I would like to see in 2019 is for Kirk to give Diggs and Thielen more of a chance on the outside.

That’s one thing Keenum did. When either Thielen or Diggs was in one-on-one coverage, Keenum would give them a chance to make a play even when coverage was good. The number of times these plays resulted in either a completion, a defensive pass interference call or a harmless incompletion was very high, and it was definitely worth the risk.

I feel like we need to give these guys that chance in 2019. Thielen is a fantastic high pointer of the football, has excellent understanding of leverage and body position and of course has developed very good hands. Same with Diggs, who despite his relatively short frame, he has made some great jump ball plays in the end zone in his career. Put the ball up sometimes. Let our best players make plays.

I remember in 1998, Billick was said to have made a conscious effort to call a deep bomb at least once every few possessions just because of how often they resulted in big plays or PI calls.

No, we don’t have Moss, but our guys are pretty solid deep targets. Once a quarter, throw it deep and hopefully, at worst, you draw a call.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Ash Ketchum wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:44 pm Also a Tarik Cohen or Darren Sproles type player would do wonders for this offense. Give defenses who already need to worry about both Diggs and Thielen something extra to have to scheme for.
Dalvin Cook is a 3 down back that I want in the game every play with the exception of short yardage situations were it would be nice to have a bigger power back, and a series off here and there.

Stefanski finding a way to properly blend the ability to throw to Cook out of the backfield along with the Diggs/Thielen combination is his first order of business. To make that work, they need to find a true "slot" receiver" and use Cook and hte slot to work underneath DIggs/Thielen with Rudolph attacking the seams and zone voids.

This is how you also make the run game work. Like I said, increase the pacing. If you stand and F around in the huddle and line of scrimmage that just gives the defense the ability to fire off blitz after blitz. Then, throw more on timing and quicker routes. I am not talking about the 7 step, slow developing 2 yard routes that become the VIkings goto offense whne the coaches went into panic mode. I am talking about three step slants, seams routes, and double moved deep routes that attack the defense vertically, force their defensive backs to turn their hips, and reduce the pressure on the quarterback as well as wear down the defense.

Once you have the DBs moving backwards, you can work the underneath routes, the screens, and this also opens up the running game, particularly Dalvin Cook's cutback running.

Hopefully a more advanced/modern offense and some offensive line upgrades will really work for this team next year.
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

I think it's important that they improve the OL....
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
Face The Facts

Post by Face The Facts »

I don't get it.

Maybe Kevin will do a great job, but other than hearing on the radio he's some great worker / assistant, I don't know what makes us think he's going to do a great job.

Maybe he will, but I'll go on record as saying I have my doubts about this guy.
From his two interviews, he seems about as inspiring as a bowl of cold oatmeal.

It's bad when I find a guy boring.
Simpson Get Lifted

Post by Simpson Get Lifted »

Face The Facts wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:16 pm I don't get it.

Maybe Kevin will do a great job, but other than hearing on the radio he's some great worker / assistant, I don't know what makes us think he's going to do a great job.

You should see what it's like from this side of your posts.
PurpleFloyd

Post by PurpleFloyd »

Hornets wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:51 pm I think it's important that they improve the OL....
Interesting. I don't think that has been touched on yet.
In Kwesi we trust.
twgerber

Post by twgerber »

Face The Facts wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:16 pm I don't get it.

Don't care if he is boring or not. Call a good game plan. Adjust to your talent. And set up an offense that knows it has oline issues and is able to scheme around it like KC does.
GM Spielman:
  • Record 62-48-2 (.559 winning %)
  • Playoffs 1-3
  • 7 years - reached playoffs 3 times.
  • Winner of the North 2 of last 4 years
Zimmer is 48-33-1
PurpleFloyd

Post by PurpleFloyd »

DonaldDouchebag wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:27 pm
Ash Ketchum wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:29 pm

Yeah, but on 3rd and 7 they still throw a 6 yard pass. It’s maddening and I think it has to do with having no run game for defenses to worry about.
This is common in the NFL. There are routes on any pay you are referring to that are past the sticks but most times defenses take those routes away and leave the underneath routes figuring if the QB completes that pass they can usually make the tackle before they get the first down.
In Kwesi we trust.
Da Gas Man

Post by Da Gas Man »

play action on first down.

Jet sweep with a power run.

Motion and deception even on runs up the gut.

Like Reid, Payton and McVay run.