Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Joe Philbin interviewing for oline coach

A place to discuss the MN Vikings
SKOLMN

Joe Philbin interviewing for oline coach

Post by SKOLMN »

Don’t know how to paste a tweet here but it’s per Ben G from star tribune. Head scratching to me, I know he’s an offensive mind and used to call plays for the packers but can he coach an oline?
Ash Ketchum

Re: Joe Philbin interviewing for oline coach

Post by Ash Ketchum »

No one here knows the exact answer to that, but he’s been an offensive line coach at ten different places in his career, including college and Green Bay and Indy.

Don’t know if he’s developed many young studs, but he does have experience at the job.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

GB had a good ol.

He can teach our guys how to cheat/hold like the packers do.
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
cunningham

Post by cunningham »

Zimmer will want a guy he can trust. He went in-house with Stefanski, but he will want a hard @$$ he knows.
Ash Ketchum

Post by Ash Ketchum »

I think I would like this hire.

Hopefully he can help Elflein and O’Neill become solid starters.
twgerber

Post by twgerber »

And Zim liked former HC's on his staff so it makes sense from that angle too.
GM Spielman:
  • Record 62-48-2 (.559 winning %)
  • Playoffs 1-3
  • 7 years - reached playoffs 3 times.
  • Winner of the North 2 of last 4 years
Zimmer is 48-33-1
Tommy_Hawk

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

SKOLMN wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:30 pm Don’t know how to paste a tweet here but it’s per Ben G from star tribune. Head scratching to me, I know he’s an offensive mind and used to call plays for the packers but can he coach an oline?
At first I'm like "Yeah, sure. This sounds good".

But then I recall Philbin had a problem with his OL "bullying" each other, while he was HC at Miami. Remember how weird that was? Incognito and Martin. Martin walked out during the season. Nobody knew where he was. He gave the texts to the media. Incognito was being a Dick, but said he was just messing around and considered Martin one of his best friends. Turns out they were both kinda Schizoids. Incognito remained in the league for a few years later. Martin went ro SF to play for his college coach Harbaugh for only like one season.

I dont know about Philbin.
Trees Make Great Neighbors

Sir Cort Godfrey of the Nessie Alliance summoned the help of Scotland's local wizards to cast a protective spell over the lake for the peaceful existence of our underwater ally.
Ash Ketchum

Post by Ash Ketchum »

Tommy_Hawk wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:45 am
SKOLMN wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:30 pm Don’t know how to paste a tweet here but it’s per Ben G from star tribune. Head scratching to me, I know he’s an offensive mind and used to call plays for the packers but can he coach an oline?

But then I recall Philbin had a problem with his OL "bullying" each other, while he was HC at Miami. Remember how weird that was? Incognito and Martin. Martin walked out during the season. Nobody knew where he was. He gave the texts to the media. Incognito was being a Dick, but said he was just messing around and considered Martin one of his best friends. Turns out they were both kinda Schizoids. Incognito remained in the league for a few years later. Martin went ro SF to play for his college coach Harbaugh for only like one season.

Fans always do this when discussing coaches.

We don’t have the luxury of watching how coaches actually operate during film sessions, meetings and practice to judge how good we think they could do the job, so instead, we base our opinions on shit we see online or hear in the media.

Richie Incognito is an insane person. He bullied Jonathan Martin who also has/had mental issues. You’re seriously going to put that on their offensive line coach?! Lol!

Jesus.
Tmoney

Post by Tmoney »

Putting those issues on Philbin is like saying it was Zimmers fault for Griffin having a break down.

I cant say one way or another if he is the guy for the job, but I'd that is one if the reasons its not a good one.
Da Gas Man

Post by Da Gas Man »

I just finished watching tape from WPI Engineers football team from the mid 80s and I can say that I have noticed some things......
salamander

Post by salamander »

He was a very good OL coach in collage back in the 80's & 90's and he was a good OL coach for the Pack until '06 (when he was promoted).

I don't think he's ever done it since then.
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

salamander wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:42 am He was a very good OL coach in collage back in the 80's & 90's and he was a good OL coach for the Pack until '06 (when he was promoted).

Well he's been a head coach and offensive coordinator in recent years, didn't Sparano do the same?
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
EnLiteEndOne

Post by EnLiteEndOne »

Teaching the 'Green Bay Hold' technique will upgrade this shitty OL much more than any free agent or blue-chip rookie ever could.

Sign him up!
Lampin'
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

Joe Phil is a "Grinder" I would like this move and am told he is #2 on the list.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
salamander

Post by salamander »

HeHateMe wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:04 am
salamander wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:42 am He was a very good OL coach in collage back in the 80's & 90's and he was a good OL coach for the Pack until '06 (when he was promoted).

Well he's been a head coach and offensive coordinator in recent years, didn't Sparano do the same?
Yes. Zim does like his former head coaches under him.
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
Phrooster

Post by Phrooster »

Ash Ketchum wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:53 pm I think I would like this hire.

Hopefully he can help Elflein and O’Neill become solid starters.
Agreed
Tommy_Hawk

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

Tmoney wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:01 am

Putting those issues on Philbin is like saying it was Zimmers fault for Griffin having a break down.

I cant say one way or another if he is the guy for the job, but I'd that is one if the reasons its not a good one.
Okay. That's fair. I brought it up because that's the only thing that stands out to me about his tenure at Miami. Seems pertinent to this thread, about Philbin being hired as an OL coach. I dont think we should ignore it completely.
Trees Make Great Neighbors

Sir Cort Godfrey of the Nessie Alliance summoned the help of Scotland's local wizards to cast a protective spell over the lake for the peaceful existence of our underwater ally.
Tmoney

Post by Tmoney »

Tommy_Hawk wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:06 pm

Okay. That's fair. I brought it up because that's the only thing that stands out to me about his tenure at Miami. Seems pertinent to this thread, about Philbin being hired as an OL coach. I dont think we should ignore it completely.
I get it. If he was aware and did nothing about it I see that as an issue. But being here with the players and coaches Zim has I wouldn't be concerned.

He just needs to get those 5 to do their job better. That will be as much influence as I see him having.
Ash Ketchum

Post by Ash Ketchum »

Tommy_Hawk wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:06 pm

I think we can ignore it completely.

Neither Incognito nor Martin will be on the 2019 Vikings, and their weird situation wasn’t on Philbin, and even if it was indirectly because he wasn’t enough of a disciplinarian or whatever, we aren’t hiring him as the HC. He just has to coach OL.
Oscar

Post by Oscar »

Fuck Joe Philbin.

This guy is a bigger pussy then Hue Jackson.

Do you bozos ever watch Hard Knocks?
1.10.22: Never Forget! Zimmer and Spielman are done destroying the Vikings Organization!

Still can’t start a thread on this forum! Bozo’s hate the truth!
PurpleHaze

Post by PurpleHaze »

Oscar wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:06 pm Fuck Joe Philbin.

Oscar, no offense but you are the biggest pussy on this site. A coward troll that has no life other than hating the Vikings and trolling us fans. Just a pure and utter coward.
Simpson Get Lifted wrote
Should have been WAY more booing from the home crowd imo. You have to drown out the cheers from Oscar.

Oscar on the Vikes:
"I am all in for a 4th place finish."
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

Beef Supreme wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:41 pm GB had a good ol.

He can teach our guys how to cheat/hold like the packers do.
No they can't. They aren't protecting one of the golden boys of the NFL in Aaron Rodgers and because of that we wouldn't get nearly as many calls.
“We will protect the fanbase from Glen Taylor” -Alex Rodriguez.

Marc Lore - “I don’t care if that wrinkly old chicken roaster has a few more hairs on his head than I do, a deal is a deal.”
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Abe Froman wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:22 pm It's probably a good idea to hire someone who is used to having a shitting Oline with no hope of improvement in sight. I'm positive the LB we draft in the first and the safety we take in the second will be studs though. As long as they recover from their torn ACLs anyway.
You’re fucking bitter!
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
witljon

Post by witljon »

I don't.
Billy Ray

Post by Billy Ray »

My guess is this is a done deal.

He seems like he would be right up Zimmer's alley. Or maybe Zimmer would like to be up his alley, I dont really know
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

Philbin is a "Grinder" get it done!
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
AaronVikes

Post by AaronVikes »

:lol:

You will bitch no matter who they hire.
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

Hopefully he can teach our OL some of the techniques they used in GB. Seemed they held a lot but packer fans always tell me it's about the technique. Anything to help this o line progress is okay by me.
Deep Purple

Post by Deep Purple »

Nobody wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:47 am Hopefully he can teach our OL some of the techniques they used in GB. Seemed they held a lot but packer fans always tell me it's about the technique. Anything to help this o line progress is okay by me.
I think the technique you speak of is "holding" without the refs noticing.