Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Rank Em: Positions of Need

A place to discuss the MN Vikings
Ash Ketchum

Rank Em: Positions of Need

Post by Ash Ketchum »

From most dire to least, rank the positions of need for the Vikings and name one or a few realistic player(s) at each position that you love, either FA or draft.

Mine:

1. OG - Probably the most obvious. Remmers and Compton will be gone and weren’t good to start with. Just because it’s the biggest need, though, doesn’t mean you need to throw a $12 million/year contract at someone in FA or spend your first rounder on one. Just find someone solid.

Ash’s Possible Solutions:
- Cody Ford (Oklahoma) - Round 1 of the draft
- Chris Lindstrom (Boston College) - Round 2 of the draft
- Ben Garland (Atlanta Falcons) - Mid-tier FA

2. LB - Regardless of whether Barr returns, getting a true sideline-to-sideline LB with speed to make plays all over the field would be ideal. Kendricks is pretty much a read and react anchor in the middle, and Barr does more of the grunt work for this defense. A smaller, faster playmaker in the mold of the Bears’ Roquan Smith, Bucs’ Lavonte David or Colts’ Darius Leonard would help this defense. Alabama’s Mack Wilson is my favorite pick at #18 right now.

Ash’s Solutions:
- Mack Wilson (Alabama) - Round 1 of the draft
- KJ Wright (Seattle Seahawks) - free agency
- Deone Buchanan (Arizona Cardinals) - free agency
- Give Eric Wilson or Ben Gedeon more snaps

4. DE - Griffen is getting older and is less reliable coming off the hiatus. Weatherly has played well, but excels in that backup role. This defense needs to get to the QB to be successful. FA pass rushers are expensive, so Lawrence, Ansah and Graham are probably out of the question. Could try to grab a guy like Fowler or Jordan as a decent upside risk since Griffen might have another year left in him.

- Dante Fowler (LA) - Free agency
- Dion Jordan (Seattle) - Free agency
- Give Weatherly the job

5. TE - Rudolph might be gone, and even if not, it would be a welcome change to have an actual mismatch and playmaker at the position. Rudolph has been solid for years, but having a seam wrecker who can make teams pay for doubling Thielen and/or Diggs would go a long way. An athletic FA like Ricky Seals-Jones would be a nice wrinkle for this offense.

- Ricky Seals-Jones (Arizona Cardinals) - free agency
- Noah Fant (Iowa) - Round 2-3 of the draft
- Irv Smith Jr. (Alabama) - Round 2-3 of the draft

6. RB - Murray likely gone and Cook has a history of injuries. Thomas and Boone are unproven. Same as OG, RBs can be found later in the draft. Free agent options like Ajayi, CJ Anderson and
Mike Davis exist, but would only consider if cheap because of the relative ease in finding a RB in the draft.

- Benny Snell (Kentucky) - Round 3 of the draft
- CJ Anderson (LA Rams) - free agency
- Mike Davis (Seattle Seahawks) - free agency
- Give Boone and Thomas a shot

7. OT - O’Neill showed some promise and theoretically will improve, but if a good tackle prospect is available, you could move Reiff to guard maybe. Having a top line LT would really help this team, and would improve two positions if Reiff can be a solid guard. I would love to get former Cretin player Seantral Henderson who was hurt this year for the Texans.

Ash’s Solutions:
- Jawaan Taylor (Florida) - Round 1 of the draft
- Greg Little (Ole Miss) - Round 1 of the draft
- Jonah Williams (Alabama) - Round 1 of the draft
- Andre Dillard (Washington) - Round 2-3 of the draft
- Seantral Henderson (Houston Texans) - free agency

8. WR - Diggs and Thielen are great, but we very rarely get anything from our other WRs, especially the disappointing LaQuan Treadwell. Ideally for me, Bebe could be used as a slot guy who finds those soft spots in zone coverage ala Cole Beasley. Another skill set this team could use is a classic burner on the outside who could keep defenses honest ala Mike Wallace or JJ Nelson... or even Aldrick Robinson. With both Diggs and Thielen though, likely won’t have money or snaps for a big name WR unless Larry Fitzgerald was willing to give a hometown, twilight of his career discount.

- Parris Campbell (Ohio State) - Round 2 of the draft
- JJ Nelson (Arizona Cardinals) - free agency
- Larry Fitzgerald (Arizona Cardinals) - free agency
- Give Chad Bebe more snaps
- Retain Aldrick Robinson

9. SAFETY - Harrison Smith had a down year by his standards, Sendejo is likely gone, and Harris played well as his replacement. Still, adding another playmaker to the backend of this defense would give Zimmer more flexibility. Someone like LaMarcus Joyner would be ideal, but might be too spendy.

- Jonathan Abram (Mississippi State) - Round 2 of the draft
- LaMarcus Joyner (LA Rams) - free agency
- Tre Boston (Arizona Cardinals) - free agency
- HaHa Clinton-Dix (Washington Redskins) - free agency
- Retain Harris or give Kearse more snaps

10. CENTER - Elflein was horrible for much of this season, and while he’s young and we’re counting on him, there’s very little behind him if they don’t retain Easton. Would be ideal to have a bit of competition at that spot regardless. Make Elflein earn it by working hard to develop this offseason. Ryan Kalil is a FA, but that surname is dead to me.

- Ryan Kalil (Carolina Panthers) - free agency
- Matt Paradis (Denver Broncos) - free agency
- Elgton Jenkins (Mississippi State) - Round 2-3 of the draft

11. KICKER - Bailey is too expensive if he’s not going to hit 85%+ on FGs, and the Vikings can’t afford to pay big at a position where you can usually find decent enough options for cheap.

- Cole Tracy (LSU) - Round 6 of the draft
- Austin Seibert (Oklahoma) - UDFA
- Josh Lambo (Jacksonville Jaguars) - free agency
- Jason Myers (New York Jets) - free agency
- Retain Dan Bailey
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Re: Rank Em: Positions of Need

Post by HeHateMe »

OL -- guards mainly but perhaps a stud center is available and you move Elflein to guard
DL -- need another DE to add to the mix assuming they move on from Griffen, have 2-3 in house candidates though plus they might need a new starting three technique
TE -- assuming they move on from Rudolph
WR -- who is after Thielen/Diggs?
LB -- the local reporters seem to think Barr is going elsewhere for a big payday, Wilson stepped up nicely but they'll need another body for sure. Depth becomes a major issue quickly there, Not a Gedeon guy
K -- probably should have just stuck with Forbath before dipping your balls into Carlson/Bailey fiasco
RB -- maybe you get a veteran to battle with the three young guys you're bringing back, Murray sounds like he wants a bigger role though. Is Sproles available??

QB/CB/S -- doubt any big additions happen at these spots though I think CB should be a spot they're willing to move one of the two Rhodes/Waynes.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
Angry Waters

Post by Angry Waters »

Jeezuz fuck, dude...Did Spielman tell you to chill out? Good stuff, as usual.
hategreenticemase

Post by hategreenticemase »

1a. LG (quality starter caliber)
1b. RG (quality starter caliber)
2. Tackle prospect to start in 20 or 21
3. Swing offensive lineman to be our 6th man
4. TE who can stretch D AND block.
5. Wr

And I don't care about anything after 3 if I get all the first 3.
It's that simple.
Obi-Wan

Post by Obi-Wan »

Claymaker anyone? Play some LB and pass rush on passing situations? He is up there in years but his Dad played until he was 40.
B-Town

Post by B-Town »

LG and RG are must (or other players that allow our guys to shift around). Compton and Remmers cannot be here next year. I also think LT is a big need. If I remember right, Reiff was a projected RT coming out of college, but has spent his career playing LT because he's the best option on teams with bad OLs. Overall, I'd say top priority is bringing in 3 OL players that can start day 1.

LB seems to be coming back around as a position of need. Good LBs are usually available in the 2nd or 3rd round, otherwise free agency is an option.

DT is probably a need, unless they want to give a huge contract to Richardson.
Dayman, Fighter of the Nightman.

Stup up, Abe!
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

B-Town wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:00 pm LG and RG are must (or other players that allow our guys to shift around). Compton and Remmers cannot be here next year. I also think LT is a big need. If I remember right, Reiff was a projected RT coming out of college, but has spent his career playing LT because he's the best option on teams with bad OLs. Overall, I'd say top priority is bringing in 3 OL players that can start day 1.

LB seems to be coming back around as a position of need. Good LBs are usually available in the 2nd or 3rd round, otherwise free agency is an option.

I think you're right on Reiff as a RT even though he was a first round pick. I'm not going to get too greedy though, three new starters while paying Reiff big money and have O'Neill/Elflein seems a little much. They have holes elsewhere...

My hope is O'Neill starts to get a look as the longterm LT, maybe even this offseason depending what the new OC and OL coach says.

Two new guards, please!
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
Ash Ketchum

Post by Ash Ketchum »

Any suggestions for players you’d like to see at OG?

I would settle for one of the better college guard prospects like Ford or Lindstrom and a mid-tier FA like Garland.

I love the idea of moving Reiff to LG, not sure if he’d want that. I don’t love the idea of moving O’Neill to LT just to move Reiff to RT. Would really only like moving Reiff if it’s to guard in favor of a new LT, Keelung O’Neil at RT.

Seriously wouldn’t be mad if they went:

Round 1: OT Jonah Williams - Alabama
Round 2: OG Chris Lindstrom - Boston College

Very OL heavy early, but that’s needed right now.

I DON’T want to ignore other positions like LB or DL though. If a stud at either were to fall to 18, I’d be fine with going that direction.

We always have a tendency to look at the biggest weakness of the team and automatically assume the only way to improve that spot is to spend huge $$$ in FA or to spend the first round pick on that position. Remmers and Compton were so bad that it might not take that much to see improvement in 2019.
Why Not Us

Post by Why Not Us »

hategreenticemase wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:16 pm 1a. LG (quality starter caliber)
5. Wr

It's that simple.
I like this.

All OL for me and this team can't have Treadwell as a 3rd receiver going into 2019. They need at least 1 speedster.
Ash Ketchum

Post by Ash Ketchum »

Why Not Us wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:13 pm
hategreenticemase wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:16 pm 1a. LG (quality starter caliber)
5. Wr

It's that simple.
I like this.

All OL for me and this team can't have Treadwell as a 3rd receiver going into 2019. They need at least 1 speedster.
Agreed.

A better version of what Aldrick Robinson provided would be ideal. Keeps defenses honest and clears space for everyone else.

I do think Diggs and Thielen do provide some of that, but the main thing is that they need a third guy to step up to at least be a semi-consistent producer.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

1. G

2. LB

3. WR
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Tuck ya in

Post by Tuck ya in »

Tough to gauge at this point not knowing what plans they have for players like Barr, Richardson, Griff, Waynes, Rudy, etc. But as of right now:

1). OG (2)
2). LB
3). TE
4). WR
5). OT
6). DT
Hector

Post by Hector »

Myself, I'd at least pursue a Forrest Lamp for Rhodes deal with the chargers. They are running out of time with Rivers and need secondary help and Lamp was a healthy scratch behind Scofield to the surprise of many.

I'm not as worried about third wide out as some, I think Dalvin should be the number three much like McKinnon was under Shurmur....a platoon of Zylstra Robinson would be okay for next year.

OLB I like free agent Shaq Barrett from the Bronco's. A lot of their fans wanted him to replace Shane Ray as a starter and he's agressive to the ball and fast to the QB from all the tech slots.

If Cody Ford is there at 18 I consider him for the RT spot if they are moving Oneill to LT and moving Reiff inside to LG.... I consider moving Elf to RG where you normally don't have to be a technician, more of a bulldozer.

I absolutely sign Harris to a deal

I look to the draft to get DL help also and see what's left for RBs in the 4 or 5 the round.
B-Town

Post by B-Town »

HeHateMe wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:43 pm
B-Town wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:00 pm LG and RG are must (or other players that allow our guys to shift around). Compton and Remmers cannot be here next year. I also think LT is a big need. If I remember right, Reiff was a projected RT coming out of college, but has spent his career playing LT because he's the best option on teams with bad OLs. Overall, I'd say top priority is bringing in 3 OL players that can start day 1.

I think you're right on Reiff as a RT even though he was a first round pick. I'm not going to get too greedy though, three new starters while paying Reiff big money and have O'Neill/Elflein seems a little much. They have holes elsewhere...

My hope is O'Neill starts to get a look as the longterm LT, maybe even this offseason depending what the new OC and OL coach says.

Two new guards, please!
You're right that 3 starting OL players is greedy. I'd argue that our closing window of opportunity and $28mil guaranteed QB are reasons to pull out all of the stops. I'd like to see an Indy type turnaround from one of the worst OLs in the league to an OL good enough to make Marlon Mack look like an All Pro. I won't be mad if they come away with 2 starters, but would happier with 3 so that we could push O'Neill into a swing backup role for the time being.

Stup up, Abe!
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

B-Town wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:42 am

Two new guards, please!
You're right that 3 starting OL players is greedy. I'd argue that our closing window of opportunity and $28mil guaranteed QB are reasons to pull out all of the stops. I'd like to see an Indy type turnaround from one of the worst OLs in the league to an OL good enough to make Marlon Mack look like an All Pro. I won't be mad if they come away with 2 starters, but would happier with 3 so that we could push O'Neill into a swing backup role for the time being.
O'Neill was one of the best tackles in the league per PFF. He needs to start.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Hector wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:42 am Myself, I'd at least pursue a Forrest Lamp for Rhodes deal with the chargers. They are running out of time with Rivers and need secondary help and Lamp was a healthy scratch behind Scofield to the surprise of many.

I'm not as worried about third wide out as some, I think Dalvin should be the number three much like McKinnon was under Shurmur....a platoon of Zylstra Robinson would be okay for next year.

OLB I like free agent Shaq Barrett from the Bronco's. A lot of their fans wanted him to replace Shane Ray as a starter and he's agressive to the ball and fast to the QB from all the tech slots.

If Cody Ford is there at 18 I consider him for the RT spot if they are moving Oneill to LT and moving Reiff inside to LG.... I consider moving Elf to RG where you normally don't have to be a technician, more of a bulldozer.

I look to the draft to get DL help also and see what's left for RBs in the 4 or 5 the round.
Signs point to Ford moving inside in the NFL to guard. I'm not sure what you're talking about with Lamp for Rhodes. Is there a pick coming back in that deal? I'm not too familiar with Lamp.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

Hector wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:42 am Myself, I'd at least pursue a Forrest Lamp for Rhodes deal with the chargers. They are running out of time with Rivers and need secondary help and Lamp was a healthy scratch behind Scofield to the surprise of many.

They are not trading Rhodes.

"A platoon of Zylstra Robinson would be ok" No it wouldn't. That's pure garbage. This team desperately needs a third target. It doesn't have to be a star but someone who can keep teams h honest on Diggs and Thielen.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Ash Ketchum

Post by Ash Ketchum »

Dalvin Cook also isn’t going to be the #3 WR.

Lots of times he’s on the field with 3 WRs.

Give Bebe the job or go get someone.
Hector

Post by Hector »

Ash Ketchum wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:35 am Dalvin Cook also isn’t going to be the #3 WR.

Lots of times he’s on the field with 3 WRs.

Give Bebe the job or go get someone.
I meant 3rd option but that could be given to a TE, which I thought Kirk was kind of a slot TE fan. I did forget about Beebe.
Hector

Post by Hector »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:02 am

They are not trading Rhodes.

"A platoon of Zylstra Robinson would be ok" No it wouldn't. That's pure garbage. This team desperately needs a third target. It doesn't have to be a star but someone who can keep teams h honest on Diggs and Thielen.
Rhodes is showing little signs of slowing down. I absolutely pounded the table for him during that draft but also realize sometimes it's better to move on and if you can improve a weakness out of it instead of walking away with nothing then why not.
Hector

Post by Hector »

HeHateMe wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:54 am

Signs point to Ford moving inside in the NFL to guard. I'm not sure what you're talking about with Lamp for Rhodes. Is there a pick coming back in that deal? I'm not too familiar with Lamp.
I've read that about Ford and I've watched him , I think he's athletic enough I'd try him at tackle at the NFL level at the very least. He would get out in front of Mayfield and Murray downfield and block for those guys.

Lamp was the LT for Western Kentucky and came out two years ago and promptly tore his ACL.
He was then a healthy scratch for a lot of games last year because Lynn didn't want to break up the continuity. Guy was a bulldozer and absolutely looks like a LG... obviously not a sure thing, but is Rhodes playing at a high level a guarantee next year? I think it would be a good trade for both (even straight up) if the Chargers would be willing to do it.
B-Town

Post by B-Town »

HeHateMe wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:52 am
B-Town wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:42 am

Two new guards, please!
O'Neill was one of the best tackles in the league per PFF. He needs to start.
My logic is that, if O'Neill starts on the right side, Reiff starts on the left. Maybe that's just how it has to be, but our OL will still be weak if the guy protecting the blind side is a turnstyle.

Stup up, Abe!
Ash Ketchum

Post by Ash Ketchum »

Reiff is the least of our worries on the line.

This line was pathetic up the middle on the run, including Elflein.

Replace Remmers and Compton with anyone who is competent and that itself would greatly improve the overall line play.
Clubhouseleader

Post by Clubhouseleader »

1: head coach
2: guard
3: guard
4: tight end
5: DT
salamander

Post by salamander »

OG
OG
NT
DE
LB
QB
C
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
Dude

Post by Dude »

1. Both guard positions need to be upgraded.
2. See above
3. LB- I think Barr's gone. Kendricks/Gedeon/Wilson isn't horrible, but it would need to be upgraded.
4. WR- They need a legitimate third option. I don't think they can rely on what they have to fill that spot.
5. DT- Linval looks like he lost a step. Thunderbucket is old.
6. OL- I don't care where. They need depth. The OL shouldn't be derailed because of an injury to a guy like Nick Easton.
salamander

Post by salamander »

Dude wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:53 pm 5. DT- Linval looks like he lost a step. Thunderbucket is old.
This part sucks because I loved the Joseph/Johnson duo.
Now they both look like they're awful. Joseph looks like a movable object on dam near every play.
He's not even getting double teamed anymore and still losing almost every play.
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
Deep Purple

Post by Deep Purple »

Dude wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:53 pm 1. Both guard positions need to be upgraded.
2. See above
3. LB- I think Barr's gone. Kendricks/Gedeon/Wilson isn't horrible, but it would need to be upgraded.
4. WR- They need a legitimate third option. I don't think they can rely on what they have to fill that spot.
5. DT- Linval looks like he lost a step. Thunderbucket is old.
6. OL- I don't care where. They need depth. The OL shouldn't be derailed because of an injury to a guy like Nick Easton.
This pretty much covers it. Maybe Elf can be a better guard and we draft a center. I think a stud DT is more urgent than most.
G
DT
T
LB
TE
Sloter as backup
Ash Ketchum

Post by Ash Ketchum »

salamander wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:56 pm
Dude wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:53 pm 5. DT- Linval looks like he lost a step. Thunderbucket is old.
Now they both look like they're awful. Joseph looks like a movable object on dam near every play.
As good as he is/was, that position is one where you can find a replacement without spending your early draft picks. Nose tackles often fall in the draft anyway. Definitely could start looking for Joseph’s successor, but the run D wasn’t that bad this year.

With the uncertainty with Griffen and Joseph beginning to age, I wouldn’t be mad at all if at 18 they took someone like Montez Sweat or Dre’Mont Jones.
salamander

Post by salamander »

Ash Ketchum wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:26 pm
salamander wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:56 pm
As good as he is/was, that position is one where you can find a replacement without spending your early draft picks. Nose tackles often fall in the draft anyway. Definitely could start looking for Joseph’s successor, but the run D wasn’t that bad this year.

With the uncertainty with Griffen and Joseph beginning to age, I wouldn’t be mad at all if at 18 they took someone like Montez Sweat or Dre’Mont Jones.
I'm right there with ya. I like Sweat a lot.