Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Zimmer's Gotta Go Yo!

A place to discuss the MN Vikings
B-Town

Re: Zimmer's Gotta Go Yo!

Post by B-Town »

64DegreeWedge wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:12 pm I don't think Zim has anything to do with it at this point. The team clearly has less talent and some of our best players are now declining. H. Smith, E. Griffin, X. Rhodes. The primes of their careers are over. The team had a 2-3 window to make a run w/ and they were too busy wasting time on developing qbs.

The problem with the team is they refused to incorporate analytics and thought they were some big tough football guys who know the game so well all they need to do is watch tape and make their own "expert" opinions.

C'mon... how long have you been watching football for? Things turn over so quickly. Next two years w/ cousins this team has no shot at a super bowl. They need to focus on bringing in players and know when it's time to make a run at the super bowl.

Most of these coaches are so garbage unless they bring in a guy who relies heavily on analytics I would keep Zim. Unless he refuses to change his ways.
Jesus. How many head coaches are analytics guys? Just curious how you formed this opinion.
Dayman, Fighter of the Nightman.

Stup up, Abe!
64DegreeWedge

Post by 64DegreeWedge »

https://www.si.com/mmqb/2017/06/28/nfl- ... g-charting

This is more front office and it's from last year. But...

" Ownership is said to be very into analytics, and GM Rick Spielman leans on data in making big personnel decisions. Coach Mike Zimmer, on the other hand, is known to be older school in how he approaches his job. The franchise’s analytics director, Scott Kuhn, also works as a pro scout for the team."

Naggy, Reid, McVay and BB rely heavily on analytics to make their game plans and it shows.
Too Bad I Have To Destroy You Now
64DegreeWedge

Post by 64DegreeWedge »

Using big data is a huge edge in sports because you still have all of these old school football guys in the business.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Small Hands wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:48 pm
weimy froob wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:25 pm
Small Hands wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:19 pm

Seattle had a below avg oline. They did a decent job run blocking, but pass blocking was atrocious. Chargers OLine is not great either. Rivers is under constant pressure.
i put seattle in the much improved-decent category. they led the league in rushing and were good enough to make the playoffs. giving dallas a game in their home building. dallas has a physical defense. stats can be very deceiving-the cowboys have shown that they hit hard and that has got them still playing football this week.

i'd categorize the chargers o-line in the "decent" camp. i'll see how i feel about that take after the new england game. :coolio:
Wilson was sacked the 5th most times this year. Not good. Dak was sacked the 2nd most BTW.
will pay attention to the dallas o-line this week because they're going against donald. it'll be a good indicator of where they're at.
64DegreeWedge

Post by 64DegreeWedge »

HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

B-Town wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:48 pm
HeHateMe wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:14 pm
B-Town wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:59 am

Stefanski told the team he's leaving - check.
Offense is a wreck - check.
Infighting - check.
Defense worse in 2018 than 2017 - check.
Zimmer spending the season blasting players and coaching staff to the media - check.

What's not true?
I don't believe Stefanski is back but has that been confirmed?

If people think this team is a wreck, that's kind of silly. Defense went 1st to 3rd, offense didn't look good under any type of adversity but most of the offense should be back next year -- time to add some more firepower to it. I just don't buy any panic at this point -- wholesale changes will happen if there's another down year.
Got it, I saw the Shooter report and Charles Robinson's tweet. Was wondering if there was anything more concrete.

There are multiple articles stating that he's informed the Vikings that he will not be a part of their organization in 2019.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
PurpleHaze

Post by PurpleHaze »

B-Town wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:15 am
PurpleHaze wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:11 pm
B-Town wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:47 pm

You're right. They probably won't be fired. It's a trademark of the Wilfs - wait until it's blatantly obvious that things are falling apart.... then wait another year just to be sure!
To be fair the Vikings will be contending next year and the year after. Just because they had a down year doesn't mean it will trend downward next year. Too many impatient people that don't have a grasp as to what actually is going on. Zimmer lost the team? Haha what fucking world are you on? Zimmer is hard to work with? yet we got the most sought after OC last year. Not to mention most if not all available OC's will salivate at the Vikings open OC position. Thank God your thought process isn't anywhere near the Vikings organization.

The 5th OC in 6 years will work out way better than anyone else. You'll see!

Why would the team care if the coach has resorted to airing out his dirty laundry to the media every week? You're crazy!

I mean, you could be right, but as a Vikings fan, it's easy to see what's likely to come next, as long as you're not in denial...
Norv Turner- sucked and didn't adapt to the times.
Shurmur- awesome OC that got a HC position. He did good so that doesn't fit your narrative.
Deflip- was supposed to be a fun up and coming coach that was #1 on most teams list. Didn't pan out because it turns out his offense sucked and was ineffective.
Stefanski- interim coach that might not have enough play calling experience. Imo I thought he did good.

Why would one think an OC will fail just because they are the 5th coach? Logic doesn't add up. Realistically without using hindsight there wasn't a OC that was destined to fail from the start.

It baffles me that so many people are such big pussies about Zimmer speaking his mind, it's definitely better than giving a eager beaver passive aggressive response to the media. It's the NFL for fuck sakes, if people can't handle the truth switch to soccer.

Maybe I will use your logic and boo the new OC without him being here a week and automatically assume he will fail. :roll:

I wouldn't be optimistic if this team was in rebuild mode but since we are not and were going to be contending next year after a down year this year there, is reason to be optimistic.

The defense was dog shit for most of the year and still ended up top 5, I can only imagine if they click all year next year. Logic and reason would say it could be pretty damn scary.
Simpson Get Lifted wrote
Should have been WAY more booing from the home crowd imo. You have to drown out the cheers from Oscar.

Oscar on the Vikes:
"I am all in for a 4th place finish."
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

PurpleHaze wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:54 pm
PurpleHaze wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:11 pm

To be fair the Vikings will be contending next year and the year after. Just because they had a down year doesn't mean it will trend downward next year. Too many impatient people that don't have a grasp as to what actually is going on. Zimmer lost the team? Haha what fucking world are you on? Zimmer is hard to work with? yet we got the most sought after OC last year. Not to mention most if not all available OC's will salivate at the Vikings open OC position. Thank God your thought process isn't anywhere near the Vikings organization.

Why would the team care if the coach has resorted to airing out his dirty laundry to the media every week? You're crazy!

I mean, you could be right, but as a Vikings fan, it's easy to see what's likely to come next, as long as you're not in denial...
Shurmur- awesome OC that got a HC position. He did good so that doesn't fit your narrative.
Deflip- was supposed to be a fun up and coming coach that was #1 on most teams list. Didn't pan out because it turns out his offense sucked and was ineffective.
Stefanski- interim coach that might not have enough play calling experience. Imo I thought he did good.

Why would one think an OC will fail just because they are the 5th coach? Logic doesn't add up. Realistically without using hindsight there wasn't a OC that was destined to fail from the start.

It baffles me that so many people are such big pussies about Zimmer speaking his mind, it's definitely better than giving a eager beaver passive aggressive response to the media. It's the NFL for fuck sakes, if people can't handle the truth switch to soccer.

Maybe I will use your logic and boo the new OC without him being here a week and automatically assume he will fail. :roll:

I wouldn't be optimistic if this team was in rebuild mode but since we are not and were going to be contending next year after a down year this year there, is reason to be optimistic.

The defense was dog shit for most of the year and still ended up top 5, I can only imagine if they click all year next year. Logic and reason would say it could be pretty damn scary.
enough talk. it's time to deliver the goods.
PurpleHaze

Post by PurpleHaze »

Phrooster wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:58 am
PurpleHaze wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:16 pm
B-Town wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:47 pm

You're right. They probably won't be fired. It's a trademark of the Wilfs - wait until it's blatantly obvious that things are falling apart.... then wait another year just to be sure!
Last year the 3rd qb(keenum) won 13 games. If the defense rebounds in 2019 you will be eating crow shit soup all year. If the oline is adressed and the defense rebounds you cannot say this isnt a dangerous team. The defense shit the bed and still ended up top 5 this year, i cannot imagine their ceiling if they rebound.
Can't help but notice if If If
Maybe you just don't want to see a realistic situation where the defense will play like they should.

It's more realistic that the defense rebounds and I think you hate that scenario.

The Oline most likely won't be a stellar unit but they can't be any worse. If O'Neill keeps progressing then all this team needs is a LG and a RG, one middle-top tier starting guard in FA and one starting guard in the draft. Reiff, Elflein and O'Neill should be the only returning starters. Try to get Easton cheap and as a backup.
Simpson Get Lifted wrote
Should have been WAY more booing from the home crowd imo. You have to drown out the cheers from Oscar.

Oscar on the Vikes:
PurpleHaze

Post by PurpleHaze »

weimy froob wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:56 pm
PurpleHaze wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:54 pm

enough talk. it's time to deliver the goods.
Agreed.
Simpson Get Lifted wrote

Oscar on the Vikes:
64DegreeWedge

Post by 64DegreeWedge »

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat- ... index-2017

Not a surprise to see Zim at the bottom. He is very old school and is thick headed.

They don't have it up rn but you will see Andy Reid is in the top 5 this year. His willingness to change is why he's going to the super bowl this year.
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

64DegreeWedge wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:21 pm https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat- ... index-2017

Not a surprise to see Zim at the bottom. He is very old school and is thick headed.

They don't have it up rn but you will see Andy Reid is in the top 5 this year. His willingness to change is why he's going to the super bowl this year.
I don't think he beats the Colts this weekend.
Why Not Us

Post by Why Not Us »

If it weren't for a real miracle last season, the Vikings would have not won a playoff game under Zimmer.

If we believe that this team has as much talent as everyone says for the past few years and we still can't win, it has to be coaching doesn't it?
PurpleHaze

Post by PurpleHaze »

Why Not Us wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:38 pm If it weren't for a real miracle last season, the Vikings would have not won a playoff game under Zimmer.

If we believe that this team has as much talent as everyone says for the past few years and we still can't win, it has to be coaching doesn't it?
They went 12-3 with the 3rd string QB. :roll: They went that far BECAUSE the team was stacked.

The team has a down year and you act like this has never happened to any NFL team. Just pure teenager behavior, acting like everything should just be a free hand out.

If Diggs catches the ball and goes out of bounds they still have a shot to win the game without a miracle. C'mon dude are you new to the NFL? This is elementary stuff.
Simpson Get Lifted wrote

Oscar on the Vikes:
PurpleHaze

Post by PurpleHaze »

64DegreeWedge wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:21 pm https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat- ... index-2017

Reid was 23rd last year. And if he is top 5 this year it's because of Mahomes dumbass, not because of his willingness to change. It's called "context" moron, maybe you will use it for the first time in the future.

You suck at this the new tmg guy. Don't be a coward and just admit you're trolling.
Simpson Get Lifted wrote

Oscar on the Vikes:
Why Not Us

Post by Why Not Us »

PurpleHaze wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:14 pm
Why Not Us wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:38 pm If it weren't for a real miracle last season, the Vikings would have not won a playoff game under Zimmer.

They went 12-3 with the 3rd string QB. :roll: They went that far BECAUSE the team was stacked.

The team has a down year and you act like this has never happened to any NFL team. Just pure teenager behavior, acting like everything should just be a free hand out.

If Diggs catches the ball and goes out of bounds they still have a shot to win the game without a miracle. C'mon dude are you new to the NFL? This is elementary stuff.
The 3rd string QBs were Bradford who wasn't on a roster and Bridgewater who was 3rd in terms in PT down in NO.

If you remember Zimmer wanted to bench Keenum that entire season too.
PurpleHaze

Post by PurpleHaze »

Why Not Us wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:40 pm
PurpleHaze wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:14 pm

The 3rd string QBs were Bradford who wasn't on a roster and Bridgewater who was 3rd in terms in PT down in NO.

If you remember Zimmer wanted to bench Keenum that entire season too.
The third string QB was Keenum.
Bradford and Bridgewater would have competed for the starting position if Bridgewater was healthy. You are extremely confused dude, Bradford was on the Vikes last year. Are you unfamiliar with the Vikes or what?
No matter how you try to spin it Keenum was the 3rd option. If Bradford stays healthy and Bridgewater comes back when he did Keenum is the 3rd option. No amount of trolling will change that hahaha.

The defense won the majority of the games last year, Zimmer knew Keenum couldnt win a shootout, the Carolina and the Philly playoff game was confirmation of that. Not to mention Zimmer's defense gave up an average of 12 points a game the last 7 games of 2017. 12 POINTS A GAME!!!!!

Wait Bridgewater had less starts than Hill in New Orleans? I checked New Orleans Qb starts and Brees and Bridgewater were the only QBs to start. You have your head firmly planted in your ass with no end in sight.
Simpson Get Lifted wrote

Oscar on the Vikes:
64DegreeWedge

Post by 64DegreeWedge »

You guys are so fucking stoopid it’s not even funny lmfao.

The aggressive index has nothing to do with qb play. You guys have proven you’re not worth my time.

Also to the dolt who said they went 13-3 with a 3rd stringer... in a 16 game season there’s a lot of noise. The data said the team was over preforming but the coaches don’t have a 12th grade background in math.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Small Hands wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:19 pm
weimy froob wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:15 pm zimmer needs to get it together. it looks like he's melting. of course with spielman as your GM-that might happen to anybody. of the 8 teams in the playoffs this weekend seven of them had decent to high quality offensive lines. i'd only put the texans in the putrid department. not good odds if you don't have a sizable improvement there next year. teams with leaky o-lines don't make the playoffs-or if they do they're out quickly. that's what this weekend showed me anyways.
Seattle had a below avg oline. They did a decent job run blocking, but pass blocking was atrocious. Chargers OLine is not great either. Rivers is under constant pressure.
NE exposed that o-line yesterday. and the patriots offensive line was dominant! made that charger front that was so good a week ago look like a pedestrian bottom third nfl unit. no pressure at all when that game was decided. rivers on the other hand was under constant duress.
Obi-Wan

Post by Obi-Wan »

Salary cap spent on starting defenders:
Vikings: $81 million*
Patriots: $57 million

*Hunter and Kendricks contract only counted 9.3 million against cap. Jumps up big 2019.
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

Obi-Wan wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:19 am Salary cap spent on starting defenders:
Vikings: $81 million*
Patriots: $57 million

*Hunter and Kendricks contract only counted 9.3 million against cap. Jumps up big 2019.
They need to trade Waynes or Rhodes. You have guys who are capable of big roles behind them. I don't know what to think about Richardson and Barr at this point. Would be nice to keep one of them but you have to get younger and cheaper at some point.

Barr age 26, Everson age 31. Who would you keep between those two?
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
Herky

Post by Herky »

Zimmer need to just be the HC and let the OC and DC do their thing. He needs to step back and be the CEO of the team.
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

Griff isn't comin back unless he takes a BIG drop in pay....doubt he will.
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
twgerber

Post by twgerber »

Herky wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:52 pm Zimmer need to just be the HC and let the OC and DC do their thing. He needs to step back and be the CEO of the team.
Why?

Several HC's do the OC or DC thing too.
GM Spielman:
  • Record 62-48-2 (.559 winning %)
  • Playoffs 1-3
  • 7 years - reached playoffs 3 times.
  • Winner of the North 2 of last 4 years
Zimmer is 48-33-1
DonaldDouchebag

Post by DonaldDouchebag »

twgerber wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:37 pm
Herky wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:52 pm Zimmer need to just be the HC and let the OC and DC do their thing. He needs to step back and be the CEO of the team.
Why?

Because he's not getting enough out of a massively talented defense. They were terribly inconsistent this year and looked flat-out unprepared. I think this team has peaked under Zimmer.

I'd rather shitcan Zimmer and bring someone else in with a fresh scheme but that ship has sailed for 2019.
Like that, y'all, pop some more shit.
Ash Ketchum

Post by Ash Ketchum »

The defense was around a Top 5-7 unit overall in 2018 (#4 in total yards allowed, #3 against the pass, #9 in PPG).

Are we ripping Zimmer now because they weren’t Top 1 or 2?

Zimmer’s strengths and why he was hired relate to developing defensive players and calling the defensive plays. He very quickly turned a last-ranked defensive unit to what it has been the last few years, a top defense in the NFL.

His weaknesses are the game/clock management in-game and having a subtle approach to dealing with players.

Rip him for what he’s bad at, but it’s bizarre to start ripping the shit he excels at.

The blame is on everyone, but the offensive inconsistency is what sank our season, not being able to do anything against Seattle and Chicago when it counted and our defense was keeping us in the game.
B-Town

Post by B-Town »

I think this is Zimmer's major issue. He's not the guy that sits with both coordinators on Monday morning and puts together plans. Based on his comments in 2018, it's pretty clear that he has no business being involved in the offense. He's a defensive coordinator in a head coach role.
Last edited by B-Town on Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stup up, Abe!
B-Town

Post by B-Town »

DonaldDouchebag wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:51 pm
Why?

Because he's not getting enough out of a massively talented defense. They were terribly inconsistent this year and looked flat-out unprepared. I think this team has peaked under Zimmer.

I'd rather shitcan Zimmer and bring someone else in with a fresh scheme but that ship has sailed for 2019.
Zimmer's defenses were always very disciplined through most of his time here. From late 2017 through now, they've been a chaotic mess. Did they get figured out? Are they mentally broken from the beating the Eagles gave them last January? Or is Zimmer losing his touch?

Stup up, Abe!
Ash Ketchum

Post by Ash Ketchum »

B-Town wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:19 pm
DonaldDouchebag wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:51 pm

Why?

Zimmer's defenses were always very disciplined through most of his time here. From late 2017 through now, they've been a chaotic mess. Did they get figured out? Are they mentally broken from the beating the Eagles gave them last January? Or is Zimmer losing his touch?
NFL is 100% catered to allowing offenses to put up big points.

2018 Vikings were #4 in total yards, #9 in scoring, #3 against the pass. I wouldn’t call that a chaotic mess. They weren’t perfect, but they were good enough to win if the offense was more consistent.

Down the stretch during the final 5 games, in the Vikings’ three losses to New England, Seattle and Chicago sank their playoff hopes.

In those games, they scored 10 points, 7 points and 10 points. That’s not on the defense.

Not saying it doesn’t need to be improved. Not saying they didn’t have a hand in the poor season, because they did, especially early on, but all things considered and when compared to defenses leaguewide, I wouldn’t characterize the defense as a chaotic mess.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

i thought the defense was better at the end of the 2018 season than it was in 2017. i also think that going forward this team could be in plenty of trouble-because yesterday's game showed you the pendulum could be swinging back into needing a much more physical team to win a SB. the bears showed they were a much more physical bunch than the vikings were this year. who thinks that's going to change next year?