Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Zimmer's Gotta Go Yo!

A place to discuss the MN Vikings
B-Town

Zimmer's Gotta Go Yo!

Post by B-Town »

Stefanski finally gets promoted to OC (Zimmer's 4th in 5 years), then informs the team he's leaving. The offense is a wreck and there's infighting between the skill position players. The defense is trending downward despite the litany of huge contracts and high draft picks. Zim is blasting everyone publicly and seems to have lost the team.

If a coaching staff change isn't made, a trademark Vikings implosion, and the hilarity that goes with it, will ensue in 2019.

Book that shit!
Dayman, Fighter of the Nightman.

Stup up, Abe!
Why Not Us

Re: Zimmer's Gotta Go Yo!

Post by Why Not Us »

Not knowing the inner-workings of the organization so you can't say for sure but I think it's pretty clear Mike Zimmer isn't an easy guy to work for otherwise there wouldn't be so much turnover on an offense that appears to have some quality pieces. The whole "we need to run the ball" when we're in a passing league and the team has invested almost nothing in draft picks on the guys who open holes for the RBs was annoying as a fan, I can only imagine as a OC.

Stefanski has been there since 2006 and I assume Zimmer not allowing a fellow coach to interview had him already thinking of a way out.

Personally I used to be a fan but seems the Vikings are out-schemed when going up against good teams so I'm mediocre on him now.
Last edited by Why Not Us on Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

B-Town wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:33 pm Stefanski finally gets promoted to OC (Zimmer's 4th in 5 years), then informs the team he's leaving. The offense is a wreck and there's infighting between the skill position players. The defense is trending downward despite the litany of huge contracts and high draft picks. Zim is blasting everyone publicly and seems to have lost the team.

If a coaching staff change isn't made, a trademark Vikings implosion, and the hilarity that goes with it, will ensue in 2019.

Book that shit!
Well Zimmer and Rick won't be fired this year. This is it though.. If you are correct about the implosion, these guy's will be gone.

It's Division Champ and win a playoff game or bust.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
B-Town

Post by B-Town »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:43 pm
B-Town wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:33 pm Stefanski finally gets promoted to OC (Zimmer's 4th in 5 years), then informs the team he's leaving. The offense is a wreck and there's infighting between the skill position players. The defense is trending downward despite the litany of huge contracts and high draft picks. Zim is blasting everyone publicly and seems to have lost the team.

Book that shit!
Well Zimmer and Rick won't be fired this year. This is it though.. If you are correct about the implosion, these guy's will be gone.

You're right. They probably won't be fired. It's a trademark of the Wilfs - wait until it's blatantly obvious that things are falling apart.... then wait another year just to be sure!

Stup up, Abe!
PurpleHaze

Post by PurpleHaze »

B-Town wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:47 pm

Book that shit!

You're right. They probably won't be fired. It's a trademark of the Wilfs - wait until it's blatantly obvious that things are falling apart.... then wait another year just to be sure!
To be fair the Vikings will be contending next year and the year after. Just because they had a down year doesn't mean it will trend downward next year. Too many impatient people that don't have a grasp as to what actually is going on. Zimmer lost the team? Haha what fucking world are you on? Zimmer is hard to work with? yet we got the most sought after OC last year. Not to mention most if not all available OC's will salivate at the Vikings open OC position. Thank God your thought process isn't anywhere near the Vikings organization.
Simpson Get Lifted wrote
Should have been WAY more booing from the home crowd imo. You have to drown out the cheers from Oscar.

Oscar on the Vikes:
"I am all in for a 4th place finish."
PurpleHaze

Post by PurpleHaze »

Book that shit!

Last year the 3rd qb(keenum) won 13 games. If the defense rebounds in 2019 you will be eating crow shit soup all year. If the oline is adressed and the defense rebounds you cannot say this isnt a dangerous team. The defense shit the bed and still ended up top 5 this year, i cannot imagine their ceiling if they rebound.
Simpson Get Lifted wrote
Should have been WAY more booing from the home crowd imo. You have to drown out the cheers from Oscar.

Oscar on the Vikes:
"I am all in for a 4th place finish."
B-Town

Post by B-Town »

PurpleHaze wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:11 pm

To be fair the Vikings will be contending next year and the year after. Just because they had a down year doesn't mean it will trend downward next year. Too many impatient people that don't have a grasp as to what actually is going on. Zimmer lost the team? Haha what fucking world are you on? Zimmer is hard to work with? yet we got the most sought after OC last year. Not to mention most if not all available OC's will salivate at the Vikings open OC position. Thank God your thought process isn't anywhere near the Vikings organization.

The 5th OC in 6 years will work out way better than anyone else. You'll see!

Why would the team care if the coach has resorted to airing out his dirty laundry to the media every week? You're crazy!

I mean, you could be right, but as a Vikings fan, it's easy to see what's likely to come next, as long as you're not in denial...

Stup up, Abe!
DonaldDouchebag

Post by DonaldDouchebag »

Should be fired, no doubt. Now they have to try to hire a new OC while Zimmer doesn't even have a contract beyond 2019.

What they should do given limited options is try to find a young, innovative OC and assure him the HC job is his if Zimmer shits the bed in 2019.
Like that, y'all, pop some more shit.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

He deserves this year. Question is, what constitutes a good season?

I say a division championship and at least a playoff win.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

Book that shit!
There's a lot of wild assumptions in there, unless you're in the organization and are making these observations at a first hand account. Watching heated arguments on the sideline during a game is not a sign of infighting, we don't know if Zimmer has lost the team. We can guess, but we don't know. The OC carousal is a little troubling, but Norv quit, Shumer did so good he got a HC job after a full year as OC, and we swung and missed on DeFlippo and put Stefanski in as interim OC until we get a new one.

Now if nothing improves at this point next year, I'll be with you on the Zimmer has to go wagon. Best to just let him coach out his last year of the contract before we decide.
Dude

Post by Dude »

DonaldDouchebag wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:21 am Should be fired, no doubt. Now they have to try to hire a new OC while Zimmer doesn't even have a contract beyond 2019.

What they should do given limited options is try to find a young, innovative OC and assure him the HC job is his if Zimmer shits the bed in 2019.
That would require extending Speilman. Nobody's buying that from a GM in a lame duck year.
B-Town

Post by B-Town »

Nobody wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:29 am

Book that shit!
There's a lot of wild assumptions in there, unless you're in the organization and are making these observations at a first hand account. Watching heated arguments on the sideline during a game is not a sign of infighting, we don't know if Zimmer has lost the team. We can guess, but we don't know. The OC carousal is a little troubling, but Norv quit, Shumer did so good he got a HC job after a full year as OC, and we swung and missed on DeFlippo and put Stefanski in as interim OC until we get a new one.

Now if nothing improves at this point next year, I'll be with you on the Zimmer has to go wagon. Best to just let him coach out his last year of the contract before we decide.
I see what you're saying, and I agree that we don't know for sure what's happening within the team. That said, they laid down for the Bears in Week 17 - spent more energy bickering on the sideline than they did trying to win the game on the field. Stefanksi quitting says volumes. The Vikings have a talented offense, yet he told them to eff off so he could take a job with some lowly team that's probably looking to rebuild. Red flags all over the place; telltale signs of major issues.

Stup up, Abe!
Phrooster

Post by Phrooster »

PurpleHaze wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:16 pm

Last year the 3rd qb(keenum) won 13 games. If the defense rebounds in 2019 you will be eating crow shit soup all year. If the oline is adressed and the defense rebounds you cannot say this isnt a dangerous team. The defense shit the bed and still ended up top 5 this year, i cannot imagine their ceiling if they rebound.
Can't help but notice if If If
Dude

Post by Dude »

Can't fire Spielman without firing Zimmer- more specifically, I wouldn't want to have to hire a GM without letting him hire his own HC.

They're definitely on the hot seat and need to make better decisions going forward to keep their jobs, but it's knee-jerk to call for Zimmer's head a year after he was a serious coach of the year candidate.

Zimmer and Spielman need to come up with a cohesive plan for the offense and hire the right OC. Their jobs depend on the right hire.
cunningham

Post by cunningham »

I like Zimmer and trust him. I agree this offense didn't run enough this year. Our rushes were nearly half of what we do most years, so yeah, our running game was a major issue.

Is Defilippo being interviewed to be a HC anywhere? How about OC? I think the NFL saw he was way over his head - he'll be back in Philly next season.

Stefanski... His offense couldn't do jack against the Bears' backups. Bye, bye! :clap:

If Cousins looks like this next season he will get benched. This team is gonna make sure the back up quarterback can play.

Spielman will draft more offensive linemen than ever, but my prediction is we have a run at a different position.

This team could win the North next season. They need a former HC to run the offense, but how about we stay away from the Cleveland coaching tree for a bit?
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

I'm on record Spielman/Zimmer get 2019 to get them back to the playoffs. Not backing off that now because Stefanski might not be back.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

HeHateMe wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:34 am I'm on record Spielman/Zimmer get 2019 to get them back to the playoffs. Not backing off that now because Stefanski might not be back.
I don't think Stefanski was keeping the job if he wanted to stay.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
salamander

Post by salamander »

Book that shit!
A lot of what you stated as fact is not actually true.
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
B-Town

Post by B-Town »

salamander wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:54 am

Book that shit!
Stefanski told the team he's leaving - check.
Offense is a wreck - check.
Infighting - check.
Defense worse in 2018 than 2017 - check.
Zimmer spending the season blasting players and coaching staff to the media - check.

What's not true?

Stup up, Abe!
DonaldDouchebag

Post by DonaldDouchebag »

Dude wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:46 am
DonaldDouchebag wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:21 am Should be fired, no doubt. Now they have to try to hire a new OC while Zimmer doesn't even have a contract beyond 2019.

That would require extending Speilman. Nobody's buying that from a GM in a lame duck year.
True. A new GM would want to pick his own coach.
Like that, y'all, pop some more shit.
JigglyPuff

Post by JigglyPuff »

Outside of Miami (btw their defense is fucking ass), Stefanski showed NOTHING as OC.
Last edited by JigglyPuff on Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

B-Town wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:59 am

Book that shit!
Infighting - check.
Zimmer spending the season blasting players and coaching staff to the media - check.

What's not true?
I don't believe Stefanski is back but has that been confirmed?

If people think this team is a wreck, that's kind of silly. Defense went 1st to 3rd, offense didn't look good under any type of adversity but most of the offense should be back next year -- time to add some more firepower to it. I just don't buy any panic at this point -- wholesale changes will happen if there's another down year.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
bombers3shooter

Post by bombers3shooter »

JigglyPuff wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:13 pm Outside of Miami (btw their defense is fucking ass), Stefanski showed NOTHING as OC.
How can you put any stock into that 3 game sample size given the circumstances? Spielman, Zimmer, and Priefer get the benefit of doubt over and over and over and Stefanki was supposed to fix the most dysfunctional mess on the whole roster on the fly? That's bullshit! Zimmer has thrown his players and staff under the bus all year and never took the blame for a thing. Stefanski is expected to polish a turf in 3 weeks? Stefanski never had a chance!

Spielman failed this team yet again by neglecting the offensive line. Mike Zimmer lost the same team he is going to get back next year for the most part only now we will lose starters and depth because we just gave a Quarterback top dollar. Unfortunately they won't clean house because their hands are tied by a lot of big contracts. The Wilfs are the real problem, but you can't fire the owner. The OP nailed it on this one!
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

zimmer needs to get it together. it looks like he's melting. of course with spielman as your GM-that might happen to anybody. of the 8 teams in the playoffs this weekend seven of them had decent to high quality offensive lines. i'd only put the texans in the putrid department. not good odds if you don't have a sizable improvement there next year. teams with leaky o-lines don't make the playoffs-or if they do they're out quickly. that's what this weekend showed me anyways.
64DegreeWedge

Post by 64DegreeWedge »

I don't think Zim has anything to do with it at this point. The team clearly has less talent and some of our best players are now declining. H. Smith, E. Griffin, X. Rhodes. The primes of their careers are over. The team had a 2-3 window to make a run w/ and they were too busy wasting time on developing qbs.

The problem with the team is they refused to incorporate analytics and thought they were some big tough football guys who know the game so well all they need to do is watch tape and make their own "expert" opinions.

C'mon... how long have you been watching football for? Things turn over so quickly. Next two years w/ cousins this team has no shot at a super bowl. They need to focus on bringing in players and know when it's time to make a run at the super bowl.

Most of these coaches are so garbage unless they bring in a guy who relies heavily on analytics I would keep Zim. Unless he refuses to change his ways.
Too Bad I Have To Destroy You Now
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

weimy froob wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:15 pm zimmer needs to get it together. it looks like he's melting. of course with spielman as your GM-that might happen to anybody. of the 8 teams in the playoffs this weekend seven of them had decent to high quality offensive lines. i'd only put the texans in the putrid department. not good odds if you don't have a sizable improvement there next year. teams with leaky o-lines don't make the playoffs-or if they do they're out quickly. that's what this weekend showed me anyways.
Seattle had a below avg oline. They did a decent job run blocking, but pass blocking was atrocious. Chargers OLine is not great either. Rivers is under constant pressure.
64DegreeWedge

Post by 64DegreeWedge »

O-line doesn't matter. This isn't high school football.

Look at the Texans and Chiefs. They have the worst rated lines in football and it's because of their qb's style of play. It's not that hard to figure out.

It's like dolts who still use passer rating... a bottom 10 qb has a better passer rating than Joe Montana lmao.
Too Bad I Have To Destroy You Now
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Small Hands wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:19 pm
weimy froob wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:15 pm zimmer needs to get it together. it looks like he's melting. of course with spielman as your GM-that might happen to anybody. of the 8 teams in the playoffs this weekend seven of them had decent to high quality offensive lines. i'd only put the texans in the putrid department. not good odds if you don't have a sizable improvement there next year. teams with leaky o-lines don't make the playoffs-or if they do they're out quickly. that's what this weekend showed me anyways.
Seattle had a below avg oline. They did a decent job run blocking, but pass blocking was atrocious. Chargers OLine is not great either. Rivers is under constant pressure.
i put seattle in the much improved-decent category. they led the league in rushing and were good enough to make the playoffs. giving dallas a game in their home building. dallas has a physical defense. stats can be very deceiving-the cowboys have shown that they hit hard and that has got them still playing football this week.

i'd categorize the chargers o-line in the "decent" camp. i'll see how i feel about that take after the new england game. :coolio:
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

weimy froob wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:25 pm
Small Hands wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:19 pm
i put seattle in the much improved-decent category. they led the league in rushing and were good enough to make the playoffs. giving dallas a game in their home building. dallas has a physical defense. stats can be very deceiving-the cowboys have shown that they hit hard and that has got them still playing football this week.

i'd categorize the chargers o-line in the "decent" camp. i'll see how i feel about that take after the new england game. :coolio:
Wilson was sacked the 5th most times this year. Not good. Dak was sacked the 2nd most BTW.
B-Town

Post by B-Town »

HeHateMe wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:14 pm
B-Town wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:59 am

Infighting - check.

What's not true?
I don't believe Stefanski is back but has that been confirmed?

If people think this team is a wreck, that's kind of silly. Defense went 1st to 3rd, offense didn't look good under any type of adversity but most of the offense should be back next year -- time to add some more firepower to it. I just don't buy any panic at this point -- wholesale changes will happen if there's another down year.

There are multiple articles stating that he's informed the Vikings that he will not be a part of their organization in 2019.

Stup up, Abe!