Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Kirk Cousins against teams over .500

A place to discuss the MN Vikings
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Kirk Cousins against teams over .500

Post by RubeTube »

4-21. Yikes! I really hope we can get this one on Sunday night boy's. :punch:
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
twgerber

Re: Kirk Cousins against teams over .500

Post by twgerber »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:12 pm 4-21. Yikes! I really hope we can get this one on Sunday night boy's. :punch:
He doesn't play on his own in those games. You have to have context. This is a meaningless stat IMO
GM Spielman:
  • Record 62-48-2 (.559 winning %)
  • Playoffs 1-3
  • 7 years - reached playoffs 3 times.
  • Winner of the North 2 of last 4 years
Zimmer is 48-33-1
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

twgerber wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:42 pm
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:12 pm 4-21. Yikes! I really hope we can get this one on Sunday night boy's. :punch:
He doesn't play on his own in those games. You have to have context. This is a meaningless stat IMO
Just the Vikings fan in me starting to panic as we hit crunch time.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Hector

Post by Hector »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:15 pm
Just the Vikings fan in me starting to panic as we hit crunch time.
Chicago should be a walk in the park for him with this supporting cast.
Ash Ketchum

Post by Ash Ketchum »

This is the inverse of the “this QB who has a SB ring is automatically better than one who doesn’t have one” way of thinking.

Football which people love to say is “the ultimate team game” is just that. Yes, a QB is more important than any other position, but that doesn’t mean a QB on a losing team is THE reason the team loses.
Hector

Post by Hector »

Ash Ketchum wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:16 pm This is the inverse of the “this QB who has a SB ring is automatically better than one who doesn’t have one” way of thinking.

Football which people love to say is “the ultimate team game” is just that. Yes, a QB is more important than any other position, but that doesn’t mean a QB on a losing team is THE reason the team loses.

I've seen Aaron Rodgers, Russel Wilson, and Tom Brady elevate their team over and over....I've seen Matt Ryan, Tony Romo and Flacco fritter games away on dumb plays while having better overall teams.

I get that it's a team sport but there are QBs that give you a chance to win even when their team isn't that good. Remember the Packers without Rodgers last year...
Angry Waters

Post by Angry Waters »

Hector wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:51 am
Ash Ketchum wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:16 pm This is the inverse of the “this QB who has a SB ring is automatically better than one who doesn’t have one” way of thinking.

I've seen Aaron Rodgers, Russel Wilson, and Tom Brady elevate their team over and over....I've seen Matt Ryan, Tony Romo and Flacco fritter games away on dumb plays while having better overall teams.

I get that it's a team sport but there are QBs that give you a chance to win even when their team isn't that good. Remember the Packers without Rodgers last year...
I think BOTH you guys are right, if that makes any sense. I believe the first ballot HOFers are the guys who elevate bad/mediocre teams into being playoff contenders. B. Favre took some 6-10 teams and made them pretty damn good. The year P. Manning goes down, they "Suck for Luck", after winning 10 games the year prior. Rodgers has elevated some bad/average GB teams throughout his career, case in point last year after he went down (though I don't have an answer for this year). I think a great QB can only do SO much. I'll use Drew Brees as an example. Clearly one of the top 10 QBs of all-time. However, in years where their D has been atrocious, he's also been in a division where Carolina has had very good teams. As well as Atlanta. You might be great and still lose 42-35. Whereas Brady has had to navigate the AFC East--name another great team from that division in the last 15 years. And that's no slight to Brady--he's part of the reason why the rest of that division has been so bad.

Nonetheless, it's "put-up or shut-up" time for Cousins and the Vikings. It's imperative they go 2-2 over the next 4 games. If they do that and win the final 3, I still believe we win the division.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

it's not meaningless. cousins needs to improve on this percentage while he wears purple.
minnemike
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by minnemike »

Rahgahs hasnt done anything more than the last set of Viking QBs over the last several year timeframe. His team sucks... same with Cousins in DC. What's Rahgahs record vs teams over .500 this year? There is your answer.
Ash Ketchum

Post by Ash Ketchum »

minnemike wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:52 am

Rahgahs hasnt done anything more than the last set of Viking QBs over the last several year timeframe. His team sucks... same with Cousins in DC. What's Rahgahs record vs teams over .500 this year? There is your answer.
Correct.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

Ash Ketchum wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:06 pm
minnemike wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:52 am

Correct.
is it a winning percentage of .160? edit: for his career.
beetlebum71

Post by beetlebum71 »

Rodgers has never won a game in which his team was trailing in the 4th quarter against a team with a winning record. Never. Just saying.
minnemike

Post by minnemike »

Vikings have faced only two winning teams so far this season that happen to be the two best teams in the league... and both on the road. I think we need to see a large sample size before condemning Cousins. Facing the 1st place Bears on the road isnt an easy task either. The schedule has only one other winning team at home the rest of the season as well. They basically have no home games vs great teams (LA, NO, NE) this season unless you consider CHI or GB great teams... that's a tough statistic to come out on top with. I'd rather face great teams at home and bad teams on the road. Vikings had that last season. When you have a great D (something Cousins never had) winning those home games are immensely eaiser because of that D.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

minnemike wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:13 pm Vikings have faced only two winning teams so far this season that happen to be the two best teams in the league... and both on the road. I think we need to see a large sample size before condemning Cousins. Facing the 1st place Bears on the road isnt an easy task either. The schedule has only one other winning team at home the rest of the season as well. They basically have no home games vs great teams (LA, NO, NE) this season unless you consider CHI or GB great teams... that's a tough statistic to come out on top with. I'd rather face great teams at home and bad teams on the road. Vikings had that last season. When you have a great D (something Cousins never had) winning those home games are immensely eaiser because of that D.
i'm clearing the slate. win sunday night and he's 1-0 against teams with a winning record after november 15, 2018. how's that?
Hector

Post by Hector »

minnemike wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:13 pm Vikings have faced only two winning teams so far this season that happen to be the two best teams in the league... and both on the road. I think we need to see a large sample size before condemning Cousins. Facing the 1st place Bears on the road isnt an easy task either. The schedule has only one other winning team at home the rest of the season as well. They basically have no home games vs great teams (LA, NO, NE) this season unless you consider CHI or GB great teams... that's a tough statistic to come out on top with. I'd rather face great teams at home and bad teams on the road. Vikings had that last season. When you have a great D (something Cousins never had) winning those home games are immensely eaiser because of that D.
Saints were here Mike.

Point taken on Rodgers though, it just seemed like he was pulling of miracle hail Mary wins all over the place.
minnemike

Post by minnemike »

Hector wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:35 pm
Saints were here Mike.

Point taken on Rodgers though, it just seemed like he was pulling of miracle hail Mary wins all over the place.
Doh! Well, its the Saints and no winning team has beaten them this year home or away. That's my outlier. ;)

This CHI game if CHI wins is gonna be tough to say if Cousins just isnt as good as hoped or Bears just being legit now. Definitely need more sample size.
-Jaymo-

Post by -Jaymo- »

Hector wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:51 am I've seen Aaron Rodgers, Russel Wilson, and Tom Brady elevate their team over and over....I've seen Matt Ryan, Tony Romo and Flacco fritter games away on dumb plays while having better overall teams.

Rodgers is 8-8-1 as a starter in the last two years.
Bleeds Purple

Post by Bleeds Purple »

Angry Waters wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:11 am

I think BOTH you guys are right, if that makes any sense. I believe the first ballot HOFers are the guys who elevate bad/mediocre teams into being playoff contenders. B. Favre took some 6-10 teams and made them pretty damn good. The year P. Manning goes down, they "Suck for Luck", after winning 10 games the year prior. Rodgers has elevated some bad/average GB teams throughout his career, case in point last year after he went down (though I don't have an answer for this year). I think a great QB can only do SO much. I'll use Drew Brees as an example. Clearly one of the top 10 QBs of all-time. However, in years where their D has been atrocious, he's also been in a division where Carolina has had very good teams. As well as Atlanta. You might be great and still lose 42-35. Whereas Brady has had to navigate the AFC East--name another great team from that division in the last 15 years. And that's no slight to Brady--he's part of the reason why the rest of that division has been so bad.

Nonetheless, it's "put-up or shut-up" time for Cousins and the Vikings! It's imperative they go 2-2 over the next 4 games. If they do that and win the final 3, I still believe we win the division.
This statement says it all! No more excuses! Cousins was paid big bucks to come here and win. He has a crappy O-Line, but decent - great receivers! He has a pretty good running stable behind him. If the Defense plays like we know they can, they should be able to stop Trubisky and Co. on offense. It is pretty much all on his shoulders right now. If the Vikings can't get up for this game, then they need to disband and stop playing NFL football.

Great teams find ways to overcome deficiencies and pull victory from the jaws of defeat! The DeFacto leader of any football team is the QB (at least on the offensive side of the ball). Cousins needs to step up and strap on that great big, red letter S on his chest and be that leader the Vikings need. The one that makes you say, with 1:48 left on the clock and 80 yards to go and needing to slam the ball in the endzone, "Fucking A Baby, we can do this!!! We can take this ball, move it down the field and score, all the while we are shoving it up the Bears collective ASSES while we do it on national TV."
Tmoney

Post by Tmoney »

I really hope we get a Rams game from last year moment.

I think at home they would make trubisky look very average, in Chicago, who knows.

I think they have to play him like they do Rodgers, the mobility can kill ya
twgerber

Post by twgerber »

Chicago's D is top notch again. Its going to be a low scoring game. As usual turnovers will rule the day.

I want the vikings to win but they rarely do in Chicago so I'm not expecting a W.
GM Spielman:
  • Playoffs 1-3
Zimmer is 48-33-1
bombers3shooter

Post by bombers3shooter »

This. This is a matchup that has pretty much the whole recipe for disaster. There have been alot lesser Bears teams that we have found a way to split with and its generally because we don't play very well at Soldier Field. Also not sure what our record is the last few years playing on grass against a team with a winning record is, but seems like we always lay a stinker in a grass road game. We payed Cousins alot of money, anybody who said "put up or shut up" hit the nail on the head. Kirk is going to need to carry the team to a victory like this to really prove hes not just a middle of the road type quarterback.
flexbuffchest

Post by flexbuffchest »

Now factor in that while in Washington his defense gave up over 30 ppg in losses...that 4-21 record vs. winning teams doesn't mean a whole lot when taken into context.

FWIW, here are some elite QB's records vs. winning teams:

Aaron Rodgers 21 29
Tom Brady 50 33
Matt Ryan 17 22
Drew Brees 20 48
Russell Wilson 19 12
“We will protect the fanbase from Glen Taylor” -Alex Rodriguez.

Marc Lore - “I don’t care if that wrinkly old chicken roaster has a few more hairs on his head than I do, a deal is a deal.”
twgerber

Post by twgerber »

And Cousins has helped the Vikings win games this year. So there is that.
GM Spielman:
  • Playoffs 1-3
Zimmer is 48-33-1
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

Played on a team that was at best a .500 level team with below .500 talent and coaching. You expected what?
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Thrillkill wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:05 pm
Played on a team that was at best a .500 level team with below .500 talent and coaching. You expected what?
To be fair he is 0-2 this year. I am a Kirk fan but it's time to start beating some good teams.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Bleeds Purple

Post by Bleeds Purple »

4 - 22. End of discussion. Is this going to be his epitaph when his career is done in MN, "He had lots of good stats, but couldn't win when it counted. It was the O-Lines fault!"
CasualObserverGuy

Post by CasualObserverGuy »

Yeah this is a problem. If you are a winner, then a stat like this will be closer to .500
Jesus threw the money changers out of the Temple in Jerusalem. We need to throw the bankers out of Washington.
Bleeds Purple

Post by Bleeds Purple »

I will admit to being a Cousins' basher since day 1. But, I will ask this question to give a bit of clarity to the 4 - 22 VS +.500 teams. At what point in the season do they start to figure a +.500 team? Does it start week 2 when a potential opponent is 1 - 0 (that is +.500) or does it begin midway through the season when the decent teams separate themselves from the crap teams?
Bleeds Purple

Post by Bleeds Purple »

I will admit to being a Cousins' basher since day 1. But, I will ask this question to give a bit of clarity to the 4 - 22 VS +.500 teams. At what point in the season do they start to figure a +.500 team? Does it start week 2 when a potential opponent is 1 - 0 (that is +.500) or does it begin midway through the season when the decent teams separate themselves from the crap teams?
cunningham

Post by cunningham »

Bleeds Purple wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:12 pm 4 - 22. End of discussion. Is this going to be his epitaph when his career is done in MN, "He had lots of good stats, but couldn't win when it counted. It was the O-Lines fault!"
Whenever we have a quarterback who stinks it is the O-line’s fault. Unless it was Keenum with a worse oline than now, then it was that he just couldn’t do it.

Cousins is what he is. Has a ton of great qualities, but doesn’t have “it” and makes very questionable decisions. He is slightly more careful with the ball than Keenum, but doesn’t throw it away. Occasionally the ball sails on him for some reason. His head is his biggest weakness. He isn’t elite and isn’t going to elevate the team. We have around a middle of the pack quarterback and unfortunately are paying for one at the top. As others get paid he will drop to what he is worth, but we are not going to win it all with him. It will be fun to watch though.

I would trade Barr, Rhodes, and a few picks to move to the top of the draft after next season if this continues. At this point we need the coaches to coach him up though. Call plays better so that he doesn’t do what he does the worst.