Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Barr sits out again...

A place to discuss the MN Vikings
Hornets

Barr sits out again...

Post by Hornets »

Would like to see him in action vs Da Bears....
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
beetlebum71

Re: Barr sits out again...

Post by beetlebum71 »

Hornets wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:30 pm Would like to see him in action vs Da Bears....
Having him healthy to follow Cohen around would be nice, but they'll survive if he can't go. Eric Wilson is a pretty good player.
Dale Doback

Post by Dale Doback »

If he can't get healthy after all of this time off, he ain't ever gonna be healthy...
"Two-thirds of the world is covered by water. The other third is covered by Fred Smoot."
beetlebum71

Post by beetlebum71 »

Dale Doback wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:16 pm If he can't get healthy after all of this time off, he ain't ever gonna be healthy...
Dalvin missed more than a month with a hamstring injury. They're tough to deal with.
twgerber

Post by twgerber »

Dale Doback wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:16 pm If he can't get healthy after all of this time off, he ain't ever gonna be healthy...
You must be on the receiving end of your emoticon based on that comment
GM Spielman:
  • Record 62-48-2 (.559 winning %)
  • Playoffs 1-3
  • 7 years - reached playoffs 3 times.
  • Winner of the North 2 of last 4 years
Zimmer is 48-33-1
Earl Camembert

Post by Earl Camembert »

He's resting for his new contract with another team most likely.
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

Earl Camembert wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:48 am He's resting for his new contract with another team most likely.
At this point.... so be it. I would have traded him prior to the draft.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
Ash Ketchum

Post by Ash Ketchum »

This is just illogical.
DuffMan

Post by DuffMan »

Hornets wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:30 pm Would like to see him in action vs Da Bears....
I've been waiting to see him in action all season.
-Jaymo-

Post by -Jaymo- »

DuffMan wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:40 pm I've been waiting to see him in action all season.
You might want to try actually watching the games. Other than the Rams game, he’s been pretty solid.
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

Barr practicing today.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
Dale Doback

Post by Dale Doback »

beetlebum71 wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:33 pm
Dalvin missed more than a month with a hamstring injury. They're tough to deal with.
Excuses...

Rub some dirt on it and go do what you're being paid to do.
"Two-thirds of the world is covered by water. The other third is covered by Fred Smoot."
DuffMan

Post by DuffMan »

-Jaymo- wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:43 pm
DuffMan wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:40 pm I've been waiting to see him in action all season.
You might want to try actually watching the games. Other than the Rams game, he’s been pretty solid.
On a per game basis he's down in essentially every stat category in the games he's played this year over previous years. The only time you ever see him on the screen is when he's getting burned (not that he's to blame for his assignments, but still...).

"Solid" is subjective. We took him with a top ten draft pick ahead of Aaron Donald, and all reports are he wants to be paid like a top linebacker. I expected more from him this year, and I really hope you would have too. In all reality, his absence hasn't been noticeable at all.
Ash Ketchum

Post by Ash Ketchum »

DuffMan wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:54 pm
-Jaymo- wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:43 pm
On a per game basis he's down in essentially every stat category in the games he's played this year over previous years. The only time you ever see him on the screen is when he's getting burned (not that he's to blame for his assignments, but still...).

"Solid" is subjective. We took him with a top ten draft pick ahead of Aaron Donald, and all reports are he wants to be paid like a top linebacker. I expected more from him this year, and I really hope you would have too. In all reality, his absence hasn't been noticeable at all.
Which stats?

Do they keep track of the things a typical SLB does per game? Or are you going by tackles, sacks and INT?

Yes, Barr doesn’t get a lot of those stats.
DuffMan

Post by DuffMan »

Ash Ketchum wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:13 pm Which stats?

Do they keep track of the things a typical SLB does per game? Or are you going by tackles, sacks and INT?

You know that's what I mean.

I understand that there aren't very many quantifiable metrics we can look at to tell the whole story, and I've admitted before that some of his value might not be quantifiable.

My point is and has always been that right now I'm not seeing anything that says we definitely need to spend top tier money to keep him next year. He's been out for the last two games, and while I prefer he plays, in neither game was there a moment where it stood out that he was missing.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

Stil can't believe they didn't trade him. I 100% thought they would.
Ash Ketchum

Post by Ash Ketchum »

DuffMan wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:44 pm

I understand that there aren't very many quantifiable metrics we can look at to tell the whole story, and I've admitted before that some of his value might not be quantifiable.

My point is and has always been that right now I'm not seeing anything that says we definitely need to spend top tier money to keep him next year. He's been out for the last two games, and while I prefer he plays, in neither game was there a moment where it stood out that he was missing.
I still think he’s very valuable to this team and incredibly underrated by this fan base. I don’t have any numbers to back it up, and that’s the issue.

It’ll probably the too expensive to keep him though, and I don’t disagree that a replacement could probably be found.
twgerber

Post by twgerber »

Ash Ketchum wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:25 pm

I still think he’s very valuable to this team and incredibly underrated by this fan base. I don’t have any numbers to back it up, and that’s the issue.

It’ll probably the too expensive to keep him though, and I don’t disagree that a replacement could probably be found.
Ash nails it again.
GM Spielman:
  • Record 62-48-2 (.559 winning %)
  • Playoffs 1-3
  • 7 years - reached playoffs 3 times.
  • Winner of the North 2 of last 4 years
Zimmer is 48-33-1
beetlebum71

Post by beetlebum71 »

He practiced today.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

He’s good, but ever since Zimmer went away from the double-A gap pressure look, he just hasn’t made a ton of splash plays, so he gets overlooked.

I think he helps our defense, but you cannot pay top playmaking $$$ to a guy who doesn’t make plays. You just can’t.

I think part of the reason there’s contract drama is because Barr has the skills to be an impact player, he’s just not used in a role that puts him in that position very often. Barr knows this and wants to be paid like a play-maker.

Kind of a crappy situation.
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
Angry Waters

Post by Angry Waters »

Ash Ketchum wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:25 pm

I agree with this. He may be a "splash" player in a system that doesn't allow him to make many splash plays. Think D. Hunter at LSU. 4 1/2 career sacks in college? With that frame and motor, it almost seems like he should've been able to get that in a single game! I'm being a bit facetious, but you get the point. If that's the case, then they're better off paying a different LB 2 mil per season, instead of 12 and using the difference to pay Richardson or a FA guard. We did look pretty good last week without him. Certainly a good player, though. I would expect him to have a very season next year if he escapes via FA. I still remember his rookie season--I thought there was a potential "Von Miller" there. Maybe he goes to Oakland and fills the Mack void? I think he's got that potential in him.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

I honestly thought we’d move him to rush end, at least on passing downs.

- Isaac Asimov
DuffMan

Post by DuffMan »

Beef Supreme wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:33 am I honestly thought we’d move him to rush end, at least on passing downs.
It seems like every year there's been some hype about the Vikings finally "unleashing" Barr, but it hasn't really happened. I feel like obviously there's potential there, but if it's just a matter of how they're using him then I think there's a better way to spend the money.

In all fairness, I was 100% on board with them extending him this prior offseason and posted as much here (see below). In hindsight, I think I would have been wrong considering how well Diggs and Hunter have played.

I suspect the front office might have been looking to see what he does this year to decide how much they need to spend on him.
This might be against the grain, but I think Barr's contract is their next priority. I still think Smith is the best player on the defense, but Barr's skillset would be difficult to replace and he's a very key component to what the defense is able to do.

Kendricks obviously is key to the defense as well. I would expect that Kendricks and Barr extensions will be the priority this offseason after they figure out the QB position. The rest will fall into place after that's figured out.
I'm not complaining about the Diggs signing, but I'm more interested in what happens with Barr. There's not nearly as much depth at linebacker as there is at the WR spot, so LB becomes more of a priority next year than WR would have if they don't sign Barr to an extension.

I hope the Diggs extension doesn't come at the expense of losing Barr.
Angry Waters

Post by Angry Waters »

Beef Supreme wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:33 am I honestly thought we’d move him to rush end, at least on passing downs.
The problem with that is you already have elite edge rushers in Griff and Hunter. And that's a good problem.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Angry Waters wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:25 pm
The problem with that is you already have elite edge rushers in Griff and Hunter. And that's a good problem.
Yeah, this was before I knew what we had in hunter. It was when we had Robison, who often loved inside on passing downs.

But yeah.

- Isaac Asimov
Angry Waters

Post by Angry Waters »

Beef,
I do get where you're coming from. I vividly remember Barr's rookie season where we saw vast potential. Sort of similar to C. Patterson's rookie year--remember how explosive he was during the later part of that season? Well, that faded fast... If I have to handicap things, I'd put it at about 5% that Barr is on this roster next year.
Tmoney

Post by Tmoney »

he has all the ability to take over. He just loafs. He may have different roles and responsibilities at times. but when a play is there for him to make he ends up with Josh Allen dry jumping him all over US Bank Stadium.

There isn't a noticeable difference with him out of the game. So I dont think you can call him a "difference maker" and he should not be paid like one.

Unless he starts to play like he can, and we have seen.
Hector

Post by Hector »

Beef Supreme wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:11 am He’s good, but ever since Zimmer went away from the double-A gap pressure look, he just hasn’t made a ton of splash plays, so he gets overlooked.

I think he helps our defense, but you cannot pay top playmaking $$$ to a guy who doesn’t make plays. You just can’t.

I think part of the reason there’s contract drama is because Barr has the skills to be an impact player, he’s just not used in a role that puts him in that position very often. Barr knows this and wants to be paid like a play-maker.

Kind of a crappy situation.
They ran two monster front sets with Barr in the 9tech against Green Bay and one lead to a sack and the other was an hurried incompletion and I haven't seen it since...I don't get it. They could see what the Vikings we're doing and still couldn't stop it, I would use it more myself.
-Jaymo-

Post by -Jaymo- »

Keep telling yourself this team doesn’t need Barr.
PurpleFloyd

Post by PurpleFloyd »

-Jaymo- wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:26 pm Keep telling yourself this team doesn’t need Barr.
We have him now. How much is that helping us?
In Kwesi we trust.