Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Current Playoff Picture For 2018

A place to discuss the MN Vikings
Bleeds Purple

Current Playoff Picture For 2018

Post by Bleeds Purple »

The Vikings are in the playoffs!!! Currently in 6th place and taking on the Bears. After that, they travel to L.A. for a revenge game VS the Lambs.
Edit - The Vikings are now in 5th place!!! :thumbsup:

http://www.nfl.com/playoffs/playoff-picture

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum
Last edited by Bleeds Purple on Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hornets

Re: Current Playoff Picture For 2018

Post by Hornets »

Chip, chair, and a chance!
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
whiskerbiscuit

Post by whiskerbiscuit »

I feel like this year is our best chance to make a run while not being a #1 or 2 seed, something that has never happened in my lifetime.
Last edited by whiskerbiscuit on Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Froobchat's resident:
Modern dating expert
Meat expert
Global armed conflict expert
Psychedelic expert

And I walk around like I got a 36 inch chain...

πŸ‡³πŸ‡ͺZ
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

I think the finish with the #3 seed, win the division and win their home playoff game. It's a toss up from there.

I think Panthers are a WC and will travel to Philly first.

Leaves us with..

Bears
Redskins
Falcons
β€œWe are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
β€” Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
DC4MVP

Post by DC4MVP »

Huge long shot we end up with the #1 or #2.

I'm fairly confident we win the division. I'd be fine losing to New England if we can beat Chicago & Green Bay and get to 7-4-1 and get the tie breaker locked in on Green Bay and get a H2H up on Chicago.

I have absolutely zero fear of Washington, Chicago, Falcons, Seahawks, Eagles, or Panthers aka all the teams in the hunt not named Saints/Rams.

Panthers proved that they have a joke of a line and can't do a thing against a pass rush. I think the Vikings will make Trubisky feel like a high school QB playing against Bama. Washington was ravaged by injuries. Falcons aren't impressive. We already beat the Eagles fairly easily in their place.

With our defense finally getting closer to where we expected it to be, I think we can beat the Rams the next time around. The Rose Bowl isn't much of a home field advantage. I think they really haven't been tested this season. The best team they played were the Chargers at 6-2 then us at 5-3-1

They've played joke teams such as the Raiders, Cards, and 49ers. Four others wins against close to .500 or better teams have been by 7 points or less (Vikings: 7, Broncos: 3, Packers: 2, Seahawks: 2). Their only "solid" win was a Chargers team who was yet to hit their stride (1-1 at the time).
twgerber

Post by twgerber »

NO and the Rams have to be the favorites from the NFC but I won't count out the vikings as a threat.
GM Spielman:
  • Record 62-48-2 (.559 winning %)
  • Playoffs 1-3
  • 7 years - reached playoffs 3 times.
  • Winner of the North 2 of last 4 years
Zimmer is 48-33-1
Hector

Post by Hector »

DC4MVP wrote: ↑Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:59 am Huge long shot we end up with the #1 or #2.

I'm fairly confident we win the division. I'd be fine losing to New England if we can beat Chicago & Green Bay and get to 7-4-1 and get the tie breaker locked in on Green Bay and get a H2H up on Chicago.

I have absolutely zero fear of Washington, Chicago, Falcons, Seahawks, Eagles, or Panthers aka all the teams in the hunt not named Saints/Rams.

Panthers proved that they have a joke of a line and can't do a thing against a pass rush. I think the Vikings will make Trubisky feel like a high school QB playing against Bama. Washington was ravaged by injuries. Falcons aren't impressive. We already beat the Eagles fairly easily in their place.

With our defense finally getting closer to where we expected it to be, I think we can beat the Rams the next time around. The Rose Bowl isn't much of a home field advantage. I think they really haven't been tested this season. The best team they played were the Chargers at 6-2 then us at 5-3-1

They've played joke teams such as the Raiders, Cards, and 49ers. Four others wins against close to .500 or better teams have been by 7 points or less (Vikings: 7, Broncos: 3, Packers: 2, Seahawks: 2). Their only "solid" win was a Chargers team who was yet to hit their stride (1-1 at the time).
I can agree with a lot of this but I'd love to beat NE...this is the time of the year the good teams rise and the struggling teams struggle.
Its also hard for me to underestimate the Panthers with high end weapons like Samuel, McCaffrey, Moore and Cam himself... they're always dangerous.
witljon

Post by witljon »

The Vikings have had to weather a lot of injuries. Every team gets injuries, but I doubt any team has lost playing time for as many star players. I believe Xavier Rhodes and Trae Waynes have missed games. So has Linval Joseph, Anthony Barr, Everson Griffen Dalvin Cook, Stefon Diggs, Riley Reiff, and Pat Elflein.
Small Hands

Post by Small Hands »

witljon wrote: ↑Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:23 am The Vikings have had to weather a lot of injuries. Every team gets injuries, but I doubt any team has lost playing time for as many star players. I believe Xavier Rhodes and Trae Waynes have missed games. So has Linval Joseph, Anthony Barr, Everson Griffen Dalvin Cook, Stefon Diggs, Riley Reiff, and Pat Elflein.
Next man up....

I think the division is completely up in the air. The Bears Defensive front are gonna smoke our Oline. The Peckers have Rodgers, and Detroilet have been known to rifle of 5-6 wins in a row with Stafford. I like how our defense looked last week. How could you not? But this Vikings team is turning the ball over a lot, and the defense is way too inconsistent for me to feel confident.

5-6 seed should be had at minimum, with a fighters chance at the division.
DC4MVP

Post by DC4MVP »

Hector wrote: ↑Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:35 am
DC4MVP wrote: ↑Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:59 am Huge long shot we end up with the #1 or #2.

I can agree with a lot of this but I'd love to beat NE...this is the time of the year the good teams rise and the struggling teams struggle.
Its also hard for me to underestimate the Panthers with high end weapons like Samuel, McCaffrey, Moore and Cam himself... they're always dangerous.
Oh I'd love to take down New England and I think we can do it if we shut down James White. Brady is still a good QB but he's no longer the guy that will throw for 375/4. He's a screen QB now essentially and relies on White, Edelman, etc. to YAC it up. I'd love to beat them but my main focus is on Chicago/Green Bay and if it means losing to the Pats, I'd make that trade.

Ideally, we don't lose to New England and beat GB and Chi as well.

As for the Panthers. I agree....dangerous team. But Pittsburgh showed that if you can get to a lead and get in Cam's face, all they have is McCafferty. Cam is still a threat to run but he's not the same runner he was even last year.

I think we match up amazingly with Carolina outside of our LBs on McCafferty.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

witljon wrote: ↑Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:23 am The Vikings have had to weather a lot of injuries. Every team gets injuries, but I doubt any team has lost playing time for as many star players. I believe Xavier Rhodes and Trae Waynes have missed games. So has Linval Joseph, Anthony Barr, Everson Griffen Dalvin Cook, Stefon Diggs, Riley Reiff, and Pat Elflein.
Come out of the bye healthy and win the next 2. Go a long way towards cementing a spot. Couple teams in the mix out there I see coming apart soon.
CasualObserverGuy

Post by CasualObserverGuy »

DC4MVP wrote: ↑Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:09 am
Oh I'd love to take down New England and I think we can do it if we shut down James White. Brady is still a good QB but he's no longer the guy that will throw for 375/4. He's a screen QB now essentially and relies on White, Edelman, etc. to YAC it up. I'd love to beat them but my main focus is on Chicago/Green Bay and if it means losing to the Pats, I'd make that trade.

And now you've jinxed it. I know you are a younger guy so I don't think you have watched enough Vikings (or Patriots) football over the last 20 years.

I hope you are right, but if the Patriots are coming off a loss going into our game, we'll be in tough shape. And if we have any DB injuries, well TB12 could easily hang 375/4 on us.
Jesus threw the money changers out of the Temple in Jerusalem. We need to throw the bankers out of Washington.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

CasualObserverGuy wrote: ↑Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:00 pm

And now you've jinxed it. I know you are a younger guy so I don't think you have watched enough Vikings (or Patriots) football over the last 20 years.

I hope you are right, but if the Patriots are coming off a loss going into our game, we'll be in tough shape. And if we have any DB injuries, well TB12 could easily hang 375/4 on us.
They play the Jets before us. They won't be coming off a loss.
β€” Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
DC4MVP

Post by DC4MVP »

CasualObserverGuy wrote: ↑Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:00 pm

1 TD pass in 3 games and looked miserable today.

Brady may not be Brady anymore.............until he plays the Vikings and throws for 425/4 :irked:
BBG

Post by BBG »

Bears win the North, Vikes have to better Carolina/Washington... and......
Bleeds Purple

Post by Bleeds Purple »

Well, the Vikings are still in 6th place and taking on the Bears in the current playoff picture. Looks like next week will start to be the point where the pretenders and contenders start to separate. If (when) the Vikings beat the Bears, they will flip-flop positions and the Vikings will be the North leaders. Looks like we will need to be cheering for Russell Wilson and Birds from Seattle on Thursday to lay the wood to the Cheese eaters. We are also going to need to be cheering for The Motor City Kitties to beat the Panthers and Texans to beat the Redskins to maintain the #3 spot in the playoffs.
salamander

Post by salamander »

Small Hands wrote: ↑Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:17 am
Next man up....

I think the division is completely up in the air. The Bears Defensive front are gonna smoke our Oline. The Peckers have Rodgers, and Detroilet have been known to rifle of 5-6 wins in a row with Stafford. I like how our defense looked last week. How could you not? But this Vikings team is turning the ball over a lot, and the defense is way too inconsistent for me to feel confident.

5-6 seed should be had at minimum, with a fighters chance at the division.
Next man up is hog wash. Yeah, it works for one position here and there but do you seriously think if Drew Brees goes down this applies? How about every single player on the team and your kicker and punter? Nonsense.
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
BBG

Post by BBG »

salamander wrote: ↑Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:54 am
Next man up is hog wash. Yeah, it works for one position here and there but do you seriously think if Drew Brees goes down this applies?
Absolutely
Spoiler:
DuffMan

Post by DuffMan »

Sunday's game against the Bears is huge - I know we all realize it to a point but I think it's even bigger than what's being discussed. It's a must-win in every sense of the term.

I think if the Bears win they essentially lock up the division. They might not lose more than one game the rest of the way and will be closer to a first round bye than a wildcard spot.

The Vikings need to win just to continue to make it a dog fight. I still think the Vikings are a better team than the Bears, but the way the schedules play out for both teams the rest of the season favors the Bears.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

DuffMan wrote: ↑Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:53 pm Sunday's game against the Bears is huge - I know we all realize it to a point but I think it's even bigger than what's being discussed. It's a must-win in every sense of the term.

I think if the Bears win they essentially lock up the division. They might not lose more than one game the rest of the way and will be closer to a first round bye than a wildcard spot.

The Vikings need to win just to continue to make it a dog fight. I still think the Vikings are a better team than the Bears, but the way the schedules play out for both teams the rest of the season favors the Bears.
you don't lose that game if you want to consider your team a contender for a super bowl this year. it's as simple as that. if they don't turn the ball over i think they do. cousins has looked better on the road and trubisky is going to have to move the ball against a defense that is playing it's best football right now.
salamander

Post by salamander »

BBG wrote: ↑Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:26 pm
salamander wrote: ↑Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:54 am
Next man up is hog wash. Yeah, it works for one position here and there but do you seriously think if Drew Brees goes down this applies?
Absolutely
Spoiler:
:lol: OK, OK. I stand corrected.
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

It's far from over if we lose in Chicago. They still have to play us here also. Any scenario where we win the division and avoid the Saints in the divisional round is preferred imo.
β€” Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Da Gas Man

Post by Da Gas Man »

If the Vikings beat the Bears in Chicago (I don't think they will), it would be a huge move on the division but it's not over either if the Vikings lose.

I think the Bears can lose to GB. They play us at home later and if Detroit can muster any amount of caring for their Super Bowl on Thanksgiving, they can beat the Bears too. They also get the Rams but at home in Chicago.

Beat the Bears this week and they are in the driver's seat.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

it's not over. it's a game that shows whether you're a contender or a pretender imo though. go in there and take care of business.
JigglyPuff

Post by JigglyPuff »

Kirk Cousins career record when playing night games on PrimeTime is putrid.
Face The Facts

Post by Face The Facts »

If the Vikings lose to the Bears, this starts to get scary.
Dale Doback

Post by Dale Doback »

Vikings will dominate.

Hop on the train fellas!!!
"Two-thirds of the world is covered by water. The other third is covered by Fred Smoot."
twgerber

Post by twgerber »

Vikings rarely win in Chicago. They get them later in the dome. While I hope they can win in Chicago it will take a lot for that to happen.
GM Spielman:
  • Record 62-48-2 (.559 winning %)
  • Playoffs 1-3
  • 7 years - reached playoffs 3 times.
  • Winner of the North 2 of last 4 years
Zimmer is 48-33-1
Tommy_Hawk

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

Pressure Trubisky. Nagy makes that tough with his creative playcalling. Vikings must get the lead, and establish the run game. Cousins MUST secure the ball.
Trees Make Great Neighbors

Sir Cort Godfrey of the Nessie Alliance summoned the help of Scotland's local wizards to cast a protective spell over the lake for the peaceful existence of our underwater ally.
DuffMan

Post by DuffMan »

Da Gas Man wrote: ↑Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:43 pm If the Vikings beat the Bears in Chicago (I don't think they will), it would be a huge move on the division but it's not over either if the Vikings lose.

I think the Bears can lose to GB. They play us at home later and if Detroit can muster any amount of caring for their Super Bowl on Thanksgiving, they can beat the Bears too. They also get the Rams but at home in Chicago.

Beat the Bears this week and they are in the driver's seat.
I'm not exactly saying it's over for the Vikings if they lose (I wear purple sunglasses like the rest of you), but the Vikings have a brutal schedule over the next four weeks compared to the Bears so it's going to be a tough sled the rest of the way.

@Chicago, GB, @Seattle, and @New England is tough. I'm not predicting a home loss to Green Bay but it's not out of the question considering their quarterback situation, and they'll be fortunate to split @Seattle and @New England. I'm hopeful for better, but 2-2 in the upcoming stretch is a very realistically hopeful outcome. That would put them at 7-5-1 with 3 games left.

The Bears might have three more losses on their schedule with the Rams and Packers at home and the Vikings on the road. A Bears win on Sunday puts them on an easy track to a 10-6 record at worst (losing to Green Bay/LA/MN - I don't see them losing to the Giants/49ers/Lions) while the Vikings would have to have a strong run to get to 10 wins.