Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Is Trae Waynes arguably our best corner now?

A place to discuss the MN Vikings
Oriole81

Re: Is Trae Waynes arguably our best corner now?

Post by Oriole81 »

salamander wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:04 pm I don't see Griffen restructuring. He just signed that contract last year.
Restructuring doesn't have to imply taking less money.
Since after 2019 he's not guaranteed any more money and only carries $800k in dead cap, you can easily restructure as a formality to adjust the cap structure for us in order to help get more players under the cap.

As a benefit to him, you can either pay his entire 2019 salary as an upfront bonus (able to spread over multiple years to lower the cap hit year 1) or you can adjust the allocations for 2019/2020 to have him get less in 2019 but more in 2020, and then guarantee that 2020 year.
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
J Havlicek, M Ginobili, M Richmond
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
H Olajuwon, W Unseld, A Sabonis
salamander

Post by salamander »

Oriole81 wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:17 pm
salamander wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:04 pm I don't see Griffen restructuring. He just signed that contract last year.
Restructuring doesn't have to imply taking less money.
Since after 2019 he's not guaranteed any more money and only carries $800k in dead cap, you can easily restructure as a formality to adjust the cap structure for us in order to help get more players under the cap.

As a benefit to him, you can either pay his entire 2019 salary as an upfront bonus (able to spread over multiple years to lower the cap hit year 1) or you can adjust the allocations for 2019/2020 to have him get less in 2019 but more in 2020, and then guarantee that 2020 year.
I suppose that makes sense.
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

witljon wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:47 am
The Flying Sendejo wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:18 pm People here call Rhodes an "elite corner".
I think Rhodes is one of the best corners in the league.

Waynes is pretty good too.
When healthy Rhodes is the best corner in the league.
DuffMan

Post by DuffMan »

Waynes might be the second best corner in the division, but he's not the best corner on the team.
DonaldDouchebag

Post by DonaldDouchebag »

DuffMan wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:12 pm Waynes might be the second best corner in the division, but he's not the best corner on the team.
Yep. He's a very good corner who does everything well but he's no Rhodes.
Like that, y'all, pop some more shit.
Tommy_Hawk

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

Let's just say, Xavier Rhodes as a human never existed. I'd be ecstatic the Vikings have Trae Waynes. That's how good Trae Waynes is. He's probably Top-5, potentially Top-3 Vikings CB of all time.
Trees Make Great Neighbors

Sir Cort Godfrey of the Nessie Alliance summoned the help of Scotland's local wizards to cast a protective spell over the lake for the peaceful existence of our underwater ally.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

DuffMan wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:12 pm Waynes might be the second best corner in the division, but he's not the best corner on the team.
that packers rookie looked like a shut-down corner against the rams. he looked again sunday night against the pats.
DuffMan

Post by DuffMan »

weimy froob wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:43 pm
that packers rookie looked like a shut-down corner against the rams. he looked again sunday night against the pats.
"Might be..." Wanna fight about it?
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

DuffMan wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:51 pm
i got that. you still "might be" right. i think waynes has looked real good this year. i just think the packers got themselves a good one too. :coolio:
DuffMan

Post by DuffMan »

weimy froob wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:53 pm

i got that. you still "might be" right. i think waynes has looked real good this year. i just think the packers got themselves a good one too. :coolio:
I know, I'm just playing around.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

DuffMan wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:55 pm
weimy froob wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:53 pm

I know, I'm just playing around.
:thumbsup:
witljon

Post by witljon »

mlhouse wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:05 pm
witljon wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:47 am
The Flying Sendejo wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:18 pm People here call Rhodes an "elite corner".
I think Rhodes is one of the best corners in the league.

Waynes is pretty good too.
When healthy Rhodes is the best corner in the league.
And most fans don't realize when some players are playing with injuries.
Rhodes has played through different juries in the past.
Last season Everson Griffen played the last 5 or 6 games with a foot injury.
Keith_Morrison

Post by Keith_Morrison »

no.
Phrooster

Post by Phrooster »

Keith_Morrison wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:38 pmno.
Bingo
Florida Guy

Post by Florida Guy »

Beef Supreme wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:53 am
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:52 am Waynes needs to be retained here. I believe he will. Zimmer loves this kid.
If we keep Waynes and give Thielen a well-deserved bump, who goes? They're currently only projected to have $12M in cap space next year. That's probably not even enough to keep those two happy.

Griffen has a $12M number for 2019. I'd like to keep him, but maybe he'll restructure?

Rudolph has a $7.6M number. That seems high for him. I'm not in a hurry to show him the door, but he's replaceable. Maybe he'll restructure too?

Dumping Remmers would save us $4.5M. That's a no-brainer to me. Do it.

Dumping Treadwell wouldn't save us much. Less than $1M. The decision to keep or dump him should be based on production, perception of remaining upside, and roster need, not finances.

Reiff is making almost $12M next year, but dumping him would only save us $5 because the other $7 is guaranteed. And then we'd have to find another LT. You won't get one as good as him for $5M.

Other big-money guys (Cousins, Smith, Rhodes, Joseph, Diggs, Hunter, Kendricks) are well worth it. Maybe they restructure... maybe... if you ask real nice...

Sendejo has a $5M number. Maybe you like Kearse and Iloka enough to move on. But Iloka is not under contract for next year. I'm sure he'll stay, but if the plan is for him to be a starter, will he stay for much less than $5M?

everyone else is making peanuts.

And I'd like to be able to make a long-term offer to Sheldon Richardson as well. Is there any conceivable way to keep Barr with all this?

I'd very much expect the team to try to trade down in the draft (unless a blue-chipper fell to them). Stay away from top-end contracts and get extra 2nd and 3rd rounders to fill holes on the cheap. We need guards and depth linebackers and stuff. You can get those in the middle rounds. We don't need elite playmakers. We have those.
My guess is they shift Rhodes and Smith’s 2019 salary to Signing Bonus. I also guess they cut Remmers and Sendejo. I like Sndejo and I’m sure they do too but not for $5m. On top of that I agree that they go to Griffin and ask him to take a pay cut, unless he goes off the rest of the year.
DonaldDouchebag

Post by DonaldDouchebag »

Abe Froman wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:29 pm
AaronVikes wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:55 pm Rhodes is often injured, and a bit over-rated.

Waynes has improved every year, and he is a damn good tackler. I would say you could argue he's our best corner right now.
Nah, our best corner is a coach now.
Newman wasn't as good as Rhodes in his prime ten years ago. He was never an all-pro dude.
Like that, y'all, pop some more shit.