Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Is Trae Waynes arguably our best corner now?

A place to discuss the MN Vikings
AaronVikes

Is Trae Waynes arguably our best corner now?

Post by AaronVikes »

Rhodes is often injured, and a bit over-rated.

Waynes has improved every year, and he is a damn good tackler. I would say you could argue he's our best corner right now.
Tmoney

Re: Is Trae Waynes arguably our best corner now?

Post by Tmoney »

If Hughes and Hill turn into players, I think Rhodes could be made available after next year.
Offsides 97 defense

Post by Offsides 97 defense »

A bit? People here call Rhodes an "elite corner".

Nowhere near elite. Waynes and Rhodes are good cornerbacks. Both worth where they were drafted. Rhodes checks out of too many games and gets made to look foolish entirely too much.
"Pickett"
"Sir yes sir"
"1800, Engineers, You go out and find mines"
witljon

Post by witljon »

The Flying Sendejo wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:18 pm People here call Rhodes an "elite corner".
I think Rhodes is one of the best corners in the league.

Waynes is pretty good too.
twgerber

Post by twgerber »

witljon wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:47 am
The Flying Sendejo wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:18 pm People here call Rhodes an "elite corner".

Agreed. Rhodes not having the same year as last year but still elite. Waynes has improved a lot. So many rubes wanted to give up on him.
GM Spielman:
  • Record 62-48-2 (.559 winning %)
  • Playoffs 1-3
  • 7 years - reached playoffs 3 times.
  • Winner of the North 2 of last 4 years
Zimmer is 48-33-1
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

People think there are corners who can truly shut WRs down like Deion Sanders or Darrell Green did back in the day.

Doesn’t happen anymore. They’ve legislated the shut-down guy out of the league.

Rhodes is about as good as it gets.
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

Waynes needs to be retained here. I believe he will. Zimmer loves this kid.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Tommy_Hawk

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

twgerber wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:23 am

Agreed. Rhodes not having the same year as last year but still elite. Waynes has improved a lot. So many rubes wanted to give up on him.
Lol, Rhodes missed one full game this year. Waynes left games this season too.

They are both studs. How do you think the line got 10 sacks?

Not elite? GTFO
Trees Make Great Neighbors

Sir Cort Godfrey of the Nessie Alliance summoned the help of Scotland's local wizards to cast a protective spell over the lake for the peaceful existence of our underwater ally.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:52 am Waynes needs to be retained here. I believe he will. Zimmer loves this kid.
If we keep Waynes and give Thielen a well-deserved bump, who goes? They're currently only projected to have $12M in cap space next year. That's probably not even enough to keep those two happy.

Griffen has a $12M number for 2019. I'd like to keep him, but maybe he'll restructure?

Rudolph has a $7.6M number. That seems high for him. I'm not in a hurry to show him the door, but he's replaceable. Maybe he'll restructure too?

Dumping Remmers would save us $4.5M. That's a no-brainer to me. Do it.

Dumping Treadwell wouldn't save us much. Less than $1M. The decision to keep or dump him should be based on production, perception of remaining upside, and roster need, not finances.

Reiff is making almost $12M next year, but dumping him would only save us $5 because the other $7 is guaranteed. And then we'd have to find another LT. You won't get one as good as him for $5M.

Other big-money guys (Cousins, Smith, Rhodes, Joseph, Diggs, Hunter, Kendricks) are well worth it. Maybe they restructure... maybe... if you ask real nice...

Sendejo has a $5M number. Maybe you like Kearse and Iloka enough to move on. But Iloka is not under contract for next year. I'm sure he'll stay, but if the plan is for him to be a starter, will he stay for much less than $5M?

everyone else is making peanuts.

And I'd like to be able to make a long-term offer to Sheldon Richardson as well. Is there any conceivable way to keep Barr with all this?

I'd very much expect the team to try to trade down in the draft (unless a blue-chipper fell to them). Stay away from top-end contracts and get extra 2nd and 3rd rounders to fill holes on the cheap. We need guards and depth linebackers and stuff. You can get those in the middle rounds. We don't need elite playmakers. We have those.
Last edited by Beef Supreme on Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

- Isaac Asimov
twgerber

Post by twgerber »

Tommy_Hawk wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:04 am

Not elite? GTFO
I said they were elite so not sure why you felt to do the GTFO
GM Spielman:
  • Record 62-48-2 (.559 winning %)
  • Playoffs 1-3
  • 7 years - reached playoffs 3 times.
  • Winner of the North 2 of last 4 years
Zimmer is 48-33-1
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

AaronVikes wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:55 pm Rhodes is often injured, and a bit over-rated.

Waynes has improved every year, and he is a damn good tackler. I would say you could argue he's our best corner right now.
maybe. i think alexander had another solid game on sunday too. he's given that short route assignment and if the receiver heads up field he releases him for rhodes or a safety. got his 3rd sack too. a clean shot-but at least he wrapped up the QB when he had the chance to. remember the captain who couldn't do it against wilson in the playoff game? one of the biggest plays in that game. he makes that tackle and the vikings win that game for sure imo.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Beef Supreme wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:53 am
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:52 am Waynes needs to be retained here. I believe he will. Zimmer loves this kid.
If we keep Waynes and give Thielen a well-deserved bump, who goes? They're currently only projected to have $12M in cap space next year. That's probably not even enough to keep those two happy.

Griffen has a $12M number for 2019. I'd like to keep him, but maybe he'll restructure?

Rudolph has a $7.6M number. That seems high for him. I'm not in a hurry to show him the door, but he's replaceable. Maybe he'll restructure too?

Dumping Treadwell wouldn't save us much. Less than $1M.

Reiff is making almost $12M next year, but dumping him would only save us $5 because the other $7 is guaranteed. And then we'd have to find another LT. You won't get one as good as him for $5M.

Other big-money guys (Cousins, Smith, Rhodes, Joseph, Diggs, Hunter, Kendricks) are well worth it. Maybe they restructure... maybe... if you ask real nice...

Sendejo has a $5M number. Maybe you like Kearse and Iloka enough to move on. But Iloka is not under contract for next year. I'm sure he'll stay, but if the plan is for him to be a starter, will he stay for much less than $5M?

And I'd like to be able to make a long-term offer to Sheldon Richardson as well. Is there any conceivable way to keep Barr with all this?

I'd very much expect the team to try to trade down in the draft (unless a blue-chipper fell to them). Stay away from top-end contracts and get extra 2nd and 3rd rounders to fill holes on the cheap. We need guards and depth linebackers and stuff. You can get those in the middle rounds. We don't need elite playmakers. We have those.
Barr is not going to be here. The Vikings never let a guy they plan on keeping get to their FA year. I'm cool with it too.

Sandyho= Bye

Rudolph either a big discount (They overpaid him for years) or goodbye.

Thielen is under contract, nothing he can do about it. I do think the Vikings will give him a good bump but they can strecth it out etc. He doesn't have any leverage.

Remmers= Bye

Treadwell= Gone

I want Sheldon Richardson back here also. Waynes isn't a FA until after next year. Just find a way to get Sheldon and Waynes signed with what we already have and I'm good.

We don't need much other than OL help (Draft) and WR and LB depth.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
salamander

Post by salamander »

AaronVikes wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:55 pm Rhodes is often injured, and a bit over-rated.

No, Rhodes is definitely having a down year but he has and can shut down the best WR's in the league.
Waynes is an extremely wonderful #2 CB to have.
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:01 am

Barr is not going to be here. The Vikings never let a guy they plan on keeping get to their FA year. I'm cool with it too.

Sandyho= Bye

Thielen is under contract, nothing he can do about it. I do think the Vikings will give him a good bump but they can strecth it out etc. He doesn't have any leverage.

Remmers= Bye

Treadwell= Gone

I want Sheldon Richardson back here also. Waynes isn't a FA until after next year. Just find a way to get Sheldon and Waynes signed with what we already have and I'm good.

Yeah, and Wilson has played okay in Barr's absence too.

Sendejo is so underappreciated, but Kearse looks good too and so does Harris. I'm okay either way there. Go young and save some money and draft another developmental safety for depth late in the draft. I'm cool with that.

Good point in Thielen. I'm sure they extend him this year, but since he's under contract for 2019, they can just extend him and defer the payments and cap hit until 2020, right? He gets his money and is happy and we get another year of elite play for a small cap hit, right?

Remmers has to go. Has to. Easiest decision of the off-season.

Maybe they can do a similar thing with Waynes that we're suggesting with Thielen. But man, we'll have to let some guys go sooner or later!

it would be great to keep Sheldon, but he's going to want multi-years and probably around $12-15 per, with guarantees. That's not going to be easy to get done.

Spielman has gotten a lot of talent on this roster and it's making Rob B's job hard!

- Isaac Asimov
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

Beef Supreme wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:06 am
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:01 am

Sandyho= Bye

Remmers= Bye

Treadwell= Gone

Yeah, and Wilson has played okay in Barr's absence too.

Sendejo is so underappreciated, but Kearse looks good too and so does Harris. I'm okay either way there. Go young and save some money and draft another developmental safety for depth late in the draft. I'm cool with that.

Good point in Thielen. I'm sure they extend him this year, but since he's under contract for 2019, they can just extend him and defer the payments and cap hit until 2020, right? He gets his money and is happy and we get another year of elite play for a small cap hit, right?

Remmers has to go. Has to. Easiest decision of the off-season.

Maybe they can do a similar thing with Waynes that we're suggesting with Thielen. But man, we'll have to let some guys go sooner or later!

it would be great to keep Sheldon, but he's going to want multi-years and probably around $12-15 per, with guarantees. That's not going to be easy to get done.

Spielman has gotten a lot of talent on this roster and it's making Rob B's job hard!
It's a good problem to have.

I would say hopefully Hughes or Hill can take over but Waynes is turning into too damn good of a player to let go. Can't have too many corners either.

At least we won't have to worry about that until after next year. Just get Sheldon resigned this off season.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

Dumping Treadwell wouldn't save us much. Less than $1M. The decision to keep or dump him should be based on production, perception of remaining upside, and roster need, not finances.

Barr gone.
Griffen restructured at a lower number.
I say Rudolph is back at a lower number too. Let's say that saves 3 mil maybe?
Remmers gone.
Treadwell still here.
Reiff restructured is a good idea.
Sendejo gone.

That alone should give you plenty of space to retain Richardson, extend Waynes/Thielen. I don't expect them to be a player in free agency.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Rhodes is our best corner. Waynes is a quality starter who has figured it out. People ripped Zimmer/Spielman the first couple years after that pick... you take good corners for granted. It appears Hill has a spot here too longterm, which may make one of these two expendable if he and Hughes can step up. Imagine doing a re-draft now, Hill would get 3rd or 4th round, right?
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

HeHateMe wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:11 am

Barr gone.
Remmers gone.
Treadwell still here.
Sendejo gone.

That alone should give you plenty of space to retain Richardson, extend Waynes/Thielen. I don't expect them to be a player in free agency.

I don't mind Treadwell back. He's as good as what you are going to find for really cheap, knows the system and can at least block.

He's not good though. I wouldn't be surprised if he's here or not either way.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:17 am
HeHateMe wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:11 am

Barr gone.
Remmers gone.
Treadwell still here.
Sendejo gone.

I don't mind Treadwell back. He's as good as what you are going to find for really cheap, knows the system and can at least block.

He's not good though. I wouldn't be surprised if he's here or not either way.
Treadwell here right now and next year is more about $$$ than anything else. If he was on a one year deal for a couple mil and had that game against GB, he'd probably get cut. His cap number for the year DOUBLED if they released him so that was not happening. He's been OK for the most part this year, as mentioned he is a really good run blocker. I'm anxious to see Beebe going forward though.
DuffMan

Post by DuffMan »

Rhodes is better than Waynes in coverage, but Waynes is better than he's typically given credit for. His run support is elite, and he's more than adequate in coverage.

Hughes gives them a lot of flexibility when he gets back which might put Waynes on the bubble given his health issues, but I really hope they're able to keep him.
Tommy_Hawk

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

Tommy_Hawk wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:04 am

Not elite? GTFO
Sorry. I agreed with you and WJ, my comment was aimed at Flying Sendejo.
Trees Make Great Neighbors

Sir Cort Godfrey of the Nessie Alliance summoned the help of Scotland's local wizards to cast a protective spell over the lake for the peaceful existence of our underwater ally.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

The Flying Sendejo wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:18 pm A bit? People here call Rhodes an "elite corner".

Nowhere near elite. Waynes and Rhodes are good cornerbacks. Both worth where they were drafted. Rhodes checks out of too many games and gets made to look foolish entirely too much.
You must long for the days of Chris Cook, Josh Robinson, Asher Allen, etc
minnemike

Post by minnemike »

The fickle viking fan... how soon we forget. Rhodes is best when defending larger and more physical receivers that would just toy with the others. There arent as many of them around these days, but when you need Rhodes, you need Rhodes. Michael Thomas was held in check with alot of bracketing, but Rhodes couldve played him one on one, allowing another guy to focus on Kamara, etc etc.
beetlebum71

Post by beetlebum71 »

I like Rudy, but he's not a great fit for this offense. He lacks the athleticism and ability to separate that they need at that spot. I'd try to restructure him and look for a more athletic guy in the draft. The Mack kid from Notre Dame might work.
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

In this day and age you can't have enough quality D-linemen and cornerbacks.....
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
witljon

Post by witljon »

Just looking at the defense for cap space, I can see Everson Griffen being asked to restructure or on another team because of Weatherly and Bower.
The Vikings probably don't spend big on Richardson because of Jaleel Johnson and Jalyn Holmes development.
We probably like Eric Wilson enough to let Barr go.
And maybe Sandejo is on a different team because of Kearse and Iloka.
RubeTube

Post by RubeTube »

witljon wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:45 pm Just looking at the defense for cap space, I can see Everson Griffen being asked to restructure or on another team because of Weatherly and Bower.
The Vikings probably don't spend big on Richardson because of Jaleel Johnson and Jalyn Holmes development.
They might ask EG for a restructure but they are not getting rid of him if they think he's ok to play next year.

It's obvious they are letting Barr go right when the season started. Vikings never let one of their key players go to FA if they plan on signing him.
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:52 pm
witljon wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:45 pm Just looking at the defense for cap space, I can see Everson Griffen being asked to restructure or on another team because of Weatherly and Bower.
They might ask EG for a restructure but they are not getting rid of him if they think he's ok to play next year.

It's obvious they are letting Barr go right when the season started. Vikings never let one of their key players go to FA if they plan on signing him.
Griffen will be back. Barr likely got a lowball offer and he didn't bite so it was always him or Richardson this year.
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

HeHateMe wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:54 am
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:52 pm

Griffen will be back. Barr likely got a lowball offer and he didn't bite so it was always him or Richardson this year.
Griffen restructuring is actually a win/win for both him and the team in my opinion.
2019 is the last year of guaranteed money in his deal, so he has risk associated with playing next year in that he could get hurt or his production could go down to where we would release him going into 2020 and his next FA contract would be diminished.

He could restructure in exchange for more guaranteed money over multiple year(s), but short enough to where he can still sign one more long term contract if he can hold his prime.
That would in turn allow us to structure the deal in a cap friendly way to allow us to re-sign and/or bring in more talent.

Win/win
2020 All Time NBA Draft

A Iverson, K Irving
J Havlicek, M Ginobili, M Richmond
D Wilkins, B Bowen
T Duncan, B McAdoo
H Olajuwon, W Unseld, A Sabonis
salamander

Post by salamander »

I don't see Griffen restructuring. He just signed that contract last year.
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.