Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Mike Priefer

A place to discuss the MN Vikings
Ash Ketchum

Re: Mike Priefer

Post by Ash Ketchum »

Beef Supreme wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:50 pm
Ash Ketchum wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:20 pm
brison wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:14 pm

Because the kicker is such a small part of special teams????????? Don't forget punters either.

I've spoke to this before. He might get along great with all the linebacker and big ahtlete types trying to make a team on ST. While at the same time the dude might seriously have something against the kicker/punters and it might not be conducive to confidence for them.
The kicker and punter are obviously important, but I’m telling you the head special teams coach doesn’t “coach” them much in terms of their mechanics and such, especially at the NFL level. That’s my only point.

NFL kickers are expected to know how to kick at that level. Sure, the ST coordinator will be involved, but it’s exactly how a guy like Zimmer won’t be the main guy giving the wide receivers pointers in practice on route running, footwork and such. That stuff is delegated.

Preifer is the head coach of the special teams. He oversees the special teams as a whole, but he isn’t the guy who helps struggling kickers correct their mechanics.
Well, whoever’s job it is to help our kickers with their kicks isnrvgetting it done. And wouldn’t Priefer be that guy’s boss?

He can be held accountable for poor special teams. He is the special teams coordinator, after all.
Yeah, and he'll probably get fired if this continues. I'm not disputing that.

The kicker position is ALL mental. Line up all the NFL kickers on the practice field and have them kick in practice, and aside from Tucker and and a few others, the average person would likely not see a discernible difference between most of them. Literally all NFL-caliber kickers can hit with near perfect accuracy in practice.

The issues arise when kickers can't re-create that in real games for whatever reason.

My point is... what's the coach supposed to do to make that better in games?

"Hey, uh, Blair/Daniel, whatever you are doing in practice... do that in the game, please."

At the NFL level, where nearly all the kickers routinely display perfect mechanics in practice, I'm just not sure what the special teams coach is supposed to do if the kicker just shrivels up in games aside from having the GM find a new kicker who (hopefully) will not shrivel up in games.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

If I knew the ins and outs of special teams coaching, I'd be a special teams coach.

But I know when kicking has been a problem for a long time, someone needs to be held accountable.

A) If the kicker sucks, address the kicker.

B) If multiple kickers have sucked, address the kicking coaches.

C) If they still suck, address the GM.

We're well past A. We're at B for sure, moving toward C.
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

- Isaac Asimov
Ash Ketchum

Post by Ash Ketchum »

Beef Supreme wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:33 pm If I knew the ins and outs of special teams coaching, I'd be a special teams coach.

But I know when kicking has been a problem for a long time, someone needs to be held accountable.

I hear you.

I'm just speaking from experience. I totally get the desire to have a scapegoat with the kicking issues this team has had.

Hell, I wouldn't even be that upset if Priefer was replaced. That's not my point.

All I am saying is that I believe Priefer is not directly responsible for the kicking woes.

Maybe don't rely on a rookie kicker if you're in a Super Bowl or bust season, AND switch his holder right before the season starts. That's on the GM.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Ash Ketchum wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:41 pm
Beef Supreme wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:33 pm If I knew the ins and outs of special teams coaching, I'd be a special teams coach.

I hear you.

I'm just speaking from experience. I totally get the desire to have a scapegoat with the kicking issues this team has had.

Hell, I wouldn't even be that upset if Priefer was replaced. That's not my point.

All I am saying is that I believe Priefer is not directly responsible for the kicking woes.

Maybe don't rely on a rookie kicker if you're in a Super Bowl or bust season, AND switch his holder right before the season starts. That's on the GM.
It's not a scapegoat for a problem. It's a pattern of failure. That needs to be addressed. The triggermen (Speilman, Zimmer, Bryzinski) deserve some accountability for this, but they've done a pretty good job building the rest of this roster, so I wouldn't want to move on from them. Priefer has been a constant on these bad special teams (average at best punting, getting kicks blocked, and horrendous FG performance). If it's not his job to ensure that the special teams is performing well, what is his job? Maybe he needs to replace a positional coach that reports to him? I don't know, but right now his ass is on the hot seat, IMHO.

- Isaac Asimov
Ash Ketchum

Post by Ash Ketchum »

Beef Supreme wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:18 pm

I hear you.

It's not a scapegoat for a problem. It's a pattern of failure. That needs to be addressed. The triggermen (Speilman, Zimmer, Bryzinski) deserve some accountability for this, but they've done a pretty good job building the rest of this roster, so I wouldn't want to move on from them. Priefer has been a constant on these bad special teams (average at best punting, getting kicks blocked, and horrendous FG performance). If it's not his job to ensure that the special teams is performing well, what is his job? Maybe he needs to replace a positional coach that reports to him? I don't know, but right now his ass is on the hot seat, IMHO.
If Bailey solves the FG woes, then what?

I'm not arguing with you. I appreciate this discussion.
Beef Supreme

Post by Beef Supreme »

Ash Ketchum wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:20 pm
Beef Supreme wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:18 pm

I hear you.

If Bailey solves the FG woes, then what?

I'm not arguing with you. I appreciate this discussion.
Does Bailey somehow make sure we don't get punts blocked anymore too?

Bottom line, if things go better, then leave it alone. If Bailey fixes the kicking problem and the coaches and players start blocking for the punter better, great. I am not calling for Priefer to be fired. I started this thread and said "he's got work to do." So if he does the work and things get better, good. He saved his job. But the eyes are on him and his unit's performance. If it doesn't get better soon, it will be him on the chopping block.

- Isaac Asimov
Ash Ketchum

Post by Ash Ketchum »

Aside from the Saints game last year and last week, the Vikings haven’t allowed a punt to be blocked since 2014.
bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

Ash Ketchum wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:49 pm
Yeah and before this season, the Vikings special teams units have been among the league’s best for several seasons under Priefer aside from the kicker.
Because the kicker is such a small part of special teams????????? Don't forget punters either.

I've spoke to this before. He might get along great with all the linebacker and big ahtlete types trying to make a team on ST. While at the same time the dude might seriously have something against the kicker/punters and it might not be conducive to confidence for them.
The kicker and punter are obviously important, but I’m telling you the head special teams coach doesn’t “coach” them much in terms of their mechanics and such, especially at the NFL level. That’s my only point.

NFL kickers are expected to know how to kick at that level. Sure, the ST coordinator will be involved, but it’s exactly how a guy like Zimmer won’t be the main guy giving the wide receivers pointers in practice on route running, footwork and such. That stuff is delegated.

Preifer is the head coach of the special teams. He oversees the special teams as a whole, but he isn’t the guy who helps struggling kickers correct their mechanics.
I would agree, that probably at the NFL level, the ST coach doesnt do much in the ways of mechanics...but as Brison pointed out (who I usually disagree with), he likely has a say in their confidence, and for our kickers recently, confidence seems to be a big issue. Kluwe had a documented mistrust in Priefer, which he thought Walsh was going to back up...Walsh at the time, being a rookie, of course took the silent approach.

I'm not trying to defend Walsh and Carlson, and Kai, and Locke, and Quigley...but man, Priefer has a long track record as the "head coach of ST" of turnover of kickers.
minnemike
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by minnemike »

Ash Ketchum wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:48 pm Aside from the Saints game last year and last week, the Vikings haven’t allowed a punt to be blocked since 2014.
Pretty sure there are a few fg blocks too? Punt blocks are just the latest blemish. Also, I'd like to see the stats on him being fooled by trick plays. Has he ever stopped one of them?
Lightning
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by Lightning »

Send him to an island and nuke it until it glows.
twgerber

Post by twgerber »

Nick Olson

@NicholasJOlson
3h3 hours ago
More
#Vikings punter Matt Wile is currently averaging 4.82 seconds of hangtime, which would rank best in the NFL in any of the past five years.

Seven of his 11 punts were downed inside the 20; four landed inside the ten.
GM Spielman:
  • Record 62-48-2 (.559 winning %)
  • Playoffs 1-3
  • 7 years - reached playoffs 3 times.
  • Winner of the North 2 of last 4 years
Zimmer is 48-33-1
Ash Ketchum

Post by Ash Ketchum »

twgerber wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:45 pm Nick Olson

@NicholasJOlson
3h3 hours ago
More
#Vikings punter Matt Wile is currently averaging 4.82 seconds of hangtime, which would rank best in the NFL in any of the past five years.

Seven of his 11 punts were downed inside the 20; four landed inside the ten.
Yeah, he's been great. I can really only remember one punt sailing into the endzone on the fly, but other than that, he's been solid.

I just hope Bailey trusts him as the holder.
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

bubu dubu. wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:28 am
Ash Ketchum wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:32 pm
The front office and the players themselves are to blame in the Walsh and Carlson situations, not Preifer. Not saying he absolutely should go without blame, but I can tell you that he’s not responsible for the missed field goals.
What happened to holding coaches accountable? Walsh and Carlson have loads of ability, yet, they fail under Priefer.

The last reliable kicker the Vikes have had, came before Priefer, which was Longwell. He's now gone through Walsh, Forbath and Carlson.

On his fourth punter in 8 years now after Kluwe, Locke, and Quigley...Wile isnt looking too good right now either.

And its not like the front office isnt putting resources into these positions...3 draft picks for these positions, and Priefer is doing shit with them.

Priefer is doing a shit job with personnel, and he's doing a shit job on the field.
I don't know if he's all about coverage and returns or what but hard to argue with those kicking numbers.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:32 pm I've always been a Prief Guy has balls and intensity!! Didn't want that ghey Kluwe kid kicking that skin and I don't blame him!

What if I told you that after Zim wins the next 3 Super Bowls and retires, I would love Prief as the HC.

Remember that spirited game he called against Dallas on Thursday Night 2016 and Dallas was one of the best in the league.

We should of won at the end when Bradford took a shot in the face on a two point conversation.

That Mike Priefer? I'll back him all day!!
:thumbsup:
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Deep Purple

Post by Deep Purple »

The Vikings had a draft pick invested in Daniel Carlson. Why is it they cut him after failing in one game when Laquon Treadwill has failed in at least 10 games and he still gets the start??
Why is it the Vikings trade a draft pick on an offensive lineman (Brent Jones) and he doesn't even get to start when you have Compton and Remmers who are not good enough even for a practice squad??
Why is it you draft a guard Colby Gossett and he is left on the practice squad when the team does not have one average guard on the roster??

Who ever runs the Vikings is clueless.
hategreenticemase

Post by hategreenticemase »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:22 am
Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:32 pm I've always been a Prief Guy has balls and intensity!! Didn't want that ghey Kluwe kid kicking that skin and I don't blame him!

What if I told you that after Zim wins the next 3 Super Bowls and retires, I would love Prief as the HC.

Remember that spirited game he called against Dallas on Thursday Night 2016 and Dallas was one of the best in the league.

We should of won at the end when Bradford took a shot in the face on a two point conversation.

Look at me, look at me, please someone notice I have a controversial and moronic take! Please give me attention!!!
hategreenticemase

Deep Purple wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:20 am The Vikings had a draft pick invested in Daniel Carlson. Why is it they cut him after failing in one game when Laquon Treadwill has failed in at least 10 games and he still gets the start??
Why is it the Vikings trade a draft pick on an offensive lineman (Brent Jones) and he doesn't even get to start when you have Compton and Remmers who are not good enough even for a practice squad??
Why is it you draft a guard Colby Gossett and he is left on the practice squad when the team does not have one average guard on the roster??

Solid post. The fact that Isadora, Jones et all can't get on the field when have possibly the two worst starting guards in league is indicative of how poor we are are at developing talent, assessing talent and thinking outside the box to find best 5 player combos. It's been this way for 5 plus years.

NUMBER ONE PRIORITY - we need best ol coach in the universe. Period. Pay him whatever you have to. I have concluded this is the single most impactful move/decision this organization could make this offseason.
Last edited by hategreenticemase on Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Billy Ray

Post by Billy Ray »

isnt it just time for Priefer to go. Its been a good run, time for a change
twgerber

Post by twgerber »

I wish we as fans could ask Zimmer these questions. Would love to hear his answers on ST and Oline.
GM Spielman:
  • Record 62-48-2 (.559 winning %)
  • Playoffs 1-3
  • 7 years - reached playoffs 3 times.
  • Winner of the North 2 of last 4 years
Zimmer is 48-33-1
hategreenticemase

twgerber wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:29 am I wish we as fans could ask Zimmer these questions. Would love to hear his answers on ST and Oline.
Priefer thing is extremely odd. It's not like he is a zim guy, hell he didn't even hire his dumbass. If really baffles me.
Ash Ketchum

Post by Ash Ketchum »

Deep Purple wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:20 am The Vikings had a draft pick invested in Daniel Carlson. Why is it they cut him after failing in one game when Laquon Treadwill has failed in at least 10 games and he still gets the start??

Carlson was picked in the 5th round, I believe. Treadwell was picked in the first round. If Treadwell didn’t have the cap hit tied to him, he would have been gone by now. Carlson was relatively inexpensive to get rid of.
DonaldDouchebag

Post by DonaldDouchebag »

Ash Ketchum wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:49 pm
Yeah and before this season, the Vikings special teams units have been among the league’s best for several seasons under Priefer aside from the kicker.

It was widely reported that the Vikings drafted Blair Walsh because Priefer saw a hitch in his motion that he thought he could fix .

Coaches absolutely coach young kickers and teach/refine their mechanics.
Like that, y'all, pop some more shit.
Ash Ketchum

Post by Ash Ketchum »

DonaldDouchebag wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:41 am

It was widely reported that the Vikings drafted Blair Walsh because Priefer saw a hitch in his motion that he thought he could fix .

Coaches absolutely coach young kickers and teach/refine their mechanics.
Sure, I’m sure sure it’s happened at times throughout the history of the NFL. But I’m saying by and large, NFL kickers are expected to be ready to go.
Ash Ketchum

Post by Ash Ketchum »

PA, Charch and Greenway were actually just talking about this exact topic a few minutes ago on my drive home.

Charch posed the question to Greenway (who played special teams early in his career): "How much is Preifer to blame for the kicking woes?"

Greenway and PA both stated like I've always said around here: In the NFL, the special teams coordinator is mostly in charge of coordinating and coaching the blocking units, coverage units and return units... how players lineup on kickoffs, gaps, who to block, all that kind of stuff. Basically, the X's and O's of special teams.

The specialists (K, holder, snapper) literally practice off by themselves like 90% of the time, just kicking and taking rep after rep, and then they join in during the times at practice when they are needed. Anyone who has been to Mankato for TC can see this for themselves.

Greenway also said that they don't really mess with kickers' mechanics much at this level, basically that there's a reason these kickers are NFL caliber, and they don't try to mess with things too bad. Very different than coaching technique for, say, a DE's hand placement or a WR's footwork.

If you want Preifer gone, that's fine. But just remember that the way the ball comes off the kicker or punter's foot isn't really something Priefer can control. It's all mental. The kicker either makes it or not.The punter either hits a good ball or not. The return units, philosophy on kickoffs and coverage units would be way more effected.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

hategreenticemase wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:10 am

Look at me, look at me, please someone notice I have a controversial and moronic take! Please give me attention!!!
And you are the one who gives the attention. Isn't it ironic?
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Phrooster

Post by Phrooster »

brison wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:25 pm
Herky wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:18 pm
Nuke Priefer until he glows.
:lol:
This
hategreenticemase

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:50 pm
hategreenticemase wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:10 am

And you are the one who gives the attention. Isn't it ironic?
Embarrassing you = giving you attention, got it. I will do my best to keep giving you attention then. :lol:
Simpson Get Lifted

Post by Simpson Get Lifted »

Ash Ketchum wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:41 pm PA, Charch and Greenway were actually just talking about this exact topic a few minutes ago on my drive home.

Charch posed the question to Greenway (who played special teams early in his career): "How much is Preifer to blame for the kicking woes?"

Greenway and PA both stated like I've always said around here: In the NFL, the special teams coordinator is mostly in charge of coordinating and coaching the blocking units, coverage units and return units... how players lineup on kickoffs, gaps, who to block, all that kind of stuff. Basically, the X's and O's of special teams.

The specialists (K, holder, snapper) literally practice off by themselves like 90% of the time, just kicking and taking rep after rep, and then they join in during the times at practice when they are needed. Anyone who has been to Mankato for TC can see this for themselves.

Greenway also said that they don't really mess with kickers' mechanics much at this level, basically that there's a reason these kickers are NFL caliber, and they don't try to mess with things too bad. Very different than coaching technique for, say, a DE's hand placement or a WR's footwork.

If you want Preifer gone, that's fine. But just remember that the way the ball comes off the kicker or punter's foot isn't really something Priefer can control. It's all mental. The kicker either makes it or not.The punter either hits a good ball or not. The return units, philosophy on kickoffs and coverage units would be way more effected.
If this is the case, and I'm not doubting that, then clearly we have had kickers with mental issues. Which brings up back to the words out of Priefer's own mouth:

"Those are the things that we talk about, but I’m not a mental coach. If a guy needs a mental coach, he needs to go elsewhere. In fact, I’d be the last guy – you can ask my kids that – I’d be the last guy to be a mental coach. I’m a little emotional, get a little fired up, but at the end of the day, if that’s what a young man needs, then he’s got to find that outside the building, so to speak. I’m here to coach football.”

Sound like a guy that should be coaching something that's all mental, now doesn't it?
Ash Ketchum

Post by Ash Ketchum »

Simpson Get Lifted wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:59 pm
Ash Ketchum wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:41 pm PA, Charch and Greenway were actually just talking about this exact topic a few minutes ago on my drive home.

If this is the case, and I'm not doubting that, then clearly we have had kickers with mental issues. Which brings up back to the words out of Priefer's own mouth:

"Those are the things that we talk about, but I’m not a mental coach. If a guy needs a mental coach, he needs to go elsewhere. In fact, I’d be the last guy – you can ask my kids that – I’d be the last guy to be a mental coach. I’m a little emotional, get a little fired up, but at the end of the day, if that’s what a young man needs, then he’s got to find that outside the building, so to speak. I’m here to coach football.”

Sound like a guy that should be coaching something that's all mental, now doesn't it?
I’m not in the building so I can’t see if Preifer’s approach with his kickers is affecting them poorly in terms of the mental side, but no one on this site is.

Maybe he’s an overbearing asshole to these guys behind closed doors, and that’s affecting their confidence.

BUT I doubt it. I agree with him that if you can’t handle that stuff, you should probably seek help elsewhere or find a different line of work.

Again, success on FGs is predicated on (A) the snapper, (B) the blocking up front, (C) the holder, and (D) the kicker. If ANY of A,B, C or D makes a mistake, it can effect the kick. But for whatever reason, D (the kicker) is the only one to ever take blame.

Whether it’s Bailey or a cheaper younger option in 2019, they need to find that guy, and figure out if Wile is going to be the holder and let those two guys work together for as long as possible before the season.

I still contend that bringing in Wile as late as they did and changing Carlson’s holder in the middle of preseason wasn’t the best move for his confidence leading into his rookie season.
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

Priefer has to go. The one constant through all this kicking misery as Viking fans all these years has been that guy. Get rid of him.