Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Vikings trade for PFF star center Brett Jones

A place to discuss the MN Vikings
Thrillkill

Re: Vikings trade for PFF star center Brett Jones

Post by Thrillkill »

Oriole81 wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:45 am
HeHateMe wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:32 am They needed to do something.. I'm slightly surprised it wasn't bringing in a veteran guy but I'm guessing they were so disappointed in Edison they needed another center ASAP.
I'm sure this won't be the only move. They'll look at roster cuts this weekend too, but if this was a guy they actually liked, it's worth making the move now and giving up a low value asset to ensure you don't get sniped on waiver priority.

They can still sign or claim guys that get waived this weekend.
Could see it happening. As much as Spielman is committed to always restocking the cupboard with youth there are just times you take the chance of losing them off the practice squad. When you are one of the top teams contending is that time. 1 depth vet can win you a game. And one thing about being the deepest team in the league. You better get used to losing young god players to other teams. It's a good problem to have.
twgerber

Post by twgerber »

HeHateMe wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:32 am They needed to do something.. I'm slightly surprised it wasn't bringing in a veteran guy but I'm guessing they were so disappointed in Edison they needed another center ASAP.
So Jones isn't a vet?

Or you mean a FA Vet?
GM Spielman:
  • Record 62-48-2 (.559 winning %)
  • Playoffs 1-3
  • 7 years - reached playoffs 3 times.
  • Winner of the North 2 of last 4 years
Zimmer is 48-33-1
Herky

Post by Herky »

Good depth move and they really didn't give up much for it.
twgerber

Post by twgerber »

Chad Graff

Verified account

@ChadGraff
Follow Follow @ChadGraff
More
Vikings OC John DeFilippo said he thinks the learning curve won’t be steep for new lineman Brett Jones because of Shurmur’s past with the Vikings. Said Jones will mix in both at guard and center.
GM Spielman:
  • Playoffs 1-3
Zimmer is 48-33-1
Stu Pedaso

Post by Stu Pedaso »

Worth mentioning, the Bears released guard Earl Wattford after they couldn't find a trade partner.

I doubt he makes it through waivers. We must have not wanted him. Six year vet.
Tommy_Hawk

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

twgerber wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:46 pm Chad Graff

Verified account

@ChadGraff
Follow Follow @ChadGraff
More
Vikings OC John DeFilippo said he thinks the learning curve won’t be steep for new lineman Brett Jones because of Shurmur’s past with the Vikings. Said Jones will mix in both at guard and center.
Thanks!
Trees Make Great Neighbors

Sir Cort Godfrey of the Nessie Alliance summoned the help of Scotland's local wizards to cast a protective spell over the lake for the peaceful existence of our underwater ally.
Da Gas Man

Post by Da Gas Man »

Stu Pedaso wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:26 pm Worth mentioning, the Bears released guard Earl Wattford after they couldn't find a trade partner.

I doubt he makes it through waivers. We must have not wanted him. Six year vet.
Six year vet but incredibly ineffective.
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

twgerber wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:14 pm
So Jones isn't a vet?

Or you mean a FA Vet?
Yep, sorry, should have clarified... a guy who didn't belong to another team.. I know Jones isn't 23 but he's also not a 30+ year old veteran free agent who I figured they'd explore first.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

HeHateMe wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:06 pm
twgerber wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:14 pm
So Jones isn't a vet?

Or you mean a FA Vet?
Yep, sorry, should have clarified... a guy who didn't belong to another team.. I know Jones isn't 23 but he's also not a 30+ year old veteran free agent who I figured they'd explore first.
Thanks for clarifying.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
Corre Ricky Corre

Post by Corre Ricky Corre »

I don't think that there is a negative about this. He could slide over to guard when Elf gets healthy. Elf will help this line tremendously.
PurpleFloyd

Post by PurpleFloyd »

I like the move. What with Elf on the shelf and all we can use all the depth we can get.
In Kwesi we trust.
-VikingsTw-

Post by -VikingsTw- »

This looks like a good move. Time will tell but a 7th rounder for a young center who put on some decent tape in 2017. We had a trade kind like this with Easton a few years back. Turned out to be a solid addition.

In general I'm seeing positive reviews from Giants fans as a group. Nobody really has anything bad to say, some think he's better than the center they are giving the job too. I can't blame them for being pissed over losing depth, that's the reason I wasn't in favor of trading a CB for an offensive lineman. We have depth at CB not a big fan of giving it up.

I didn't connect the dots on his potential ability to pick up our offense rather quick because he's been with Shurmer this spring and training camp. Overall it seems like a nice fit given the situation.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

-VikingsTw- wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:25 pm This looks like a good move. Time will tell but a 7th rounder for a young center who put on some decent tape in 2017. We had a trade kind like this with Easton a few years back. Turned out to be a solid addition.

In general I'm seeing positive reviews from Giants fans as a group. Nobody really has anything bad to say, some think he's better than the center they are giving the job too. I can't blame them for being pissed over losing depth, that's the reason I wasn't in favor of trading a CB for an offensive lineman. We have depth at CB not a big fan of giving it up.

I didn't connect the dots on his potential ability to pick up our offense rather quick because he's been with Shurmer this spring and training camp. Overall it seems like a nice fit given the situation.
Anytime a 7th rounder can start for you for a season is a win.. that's why this is a good move. If Jones starts for this season, it was worth that pick. Sounds like a lot of the Giants motivation was $$$ to clear some room.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
Corre Ricky Corre

Post by Corre Ricky Corre »

HeHateMe wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:17 am
-VikingsTw- wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:25 pm This looks like a good move. Time will tell but a 7th rounder for a young center who put on some decent tape in 2017. We had a trade kind like this with Easton a few years back. Turned out to be a solid addition.

Anytime a 7th rounder can start for you for a season is a win.. that's why this is a good move. If Jones starts for this season, it was worth that pick. Sounds like a lot of the Giants motivation was $$$ to clear some room.
After that OBJ contract I see why.
twgerber

Post by twgerber »

Nick Olson has some interesting analysis on Jones:

The first thing that pops off Jones' tape is his power. Here he is one-on-one against Aaron Donald's bull rush, and Jones holds up pretty well against the DPOY. see clip

That strength also shows up in the run game: on this play, Jones gets great hands placement, turns his man aside and drives him to the ground for the pancake block.

n the run game, Jones wins pretty consistently at the first level with heavy hands, good hands placement, natural leverage and active feet. Very good at pinning his man and can drive and finish against bigger defensive tackles one-on-one.

But as good as Jones looks at the first level, he looks just as bad at the second level. He moves well enough and has some athleticism, but he often fails to connect and maintain blocks. Balance and leverage are often an issue as well.

Jones' biggest strength is his pass blocking: great out of his stance, accurate punch, keeps a good pad level, active feet.

The only starting centers who allowed less pressure than Jones last year were Rodney Hudson and Brandon Linder. Elite company.

See this twitter feed for more.
GM Spielman:
  • Playoffs 1-3
Zimmer is 48-33-1
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

twgerber wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:13 am Nick Olson has some interesting analysis on Jones:

The first thing that pops off Jones' tape is his power. Here he is one-on-one against Aaron Donald's bull rush, and Jones holds up pretty well against the DPOY. see clip

That strength also shows up in the run game: on this play, Jones gets great hands placement, turns his man aside and drives him to the ground for the pancake block.

n the run game, Jones wins pretty consistently at the first level with heavy hands, good hands placement, natural leverage and active feet. Very good at pinning his man and can drive and finish against bigger defensive tackles one-on-one.

But as good as Jones looks at the first level, he looks just as bad at the second level. He moves well enough and has some athleticism, but he often fails to connect and maintain blocks. Balance and leverage are often an issue as well.

Jones' biggest strength is his pass blocking: great out of his stance, accurate punch, keeps a good pad level, active feet.

The only starting centers who allowed less pressure than Jones last year were Rodney Hudson and Brandon Linder. Elite company.

See this twitter feed for more.
if accurate? very good value for that 7th round pick.
Tommy_Hawk

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

I like ^

However, is Olson just cherry-picking highlights here? The Giants offense was horrendous last year, and it cant all be on OBJ's absence. Something isn't adding up, seems too good to be true.

Don't get me wrong, I'll trade 7th round picks for starting-caliber OL all day. I like this move alot. Im just skeptical since nobody else seems to be.

Sir Cort Godfrey of the Nessie Alliance summoned the help of Scotland's local wizards to cast a protective spell over the lake for the peaceful existence of our underwater ally.
Tommy_Hawk

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

DP

twgerber

Post by twgerber »

Tommy_Hawk wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:44 am I like ^

However, is Olson just cherry-picking highlights here? The Giants offense was horrendous last year, and it cant all be on OBJ's absence. Something isn't adding up, seems too good to be true.

Don't get me wrong, I'll trade 7th round picks for starting-caliber OL all day. I like this move alot. Im just skeptical since nobody else seems to be.
There is a lot more in his twitter feed. The biggest knock on him seems to be getting to the second level and run blocking isn't nearly as good as pass blocking. Giants did put second round tender on him this last offseason.
GM Spielman:
  • Playoffs 1-3
Zimmer is 48-33-1
twgerber

Post by twgerber »

https://vikingsterritory.com/2018/analy ... hink-it-is

New article that is more detailed than his tweets:

In Conclusion, It’s All Going To Be All Right
The Vikings are very good in pass protection: they ranked 12th-best in pass blocking efficiency last year and currently rank 1st through three weeks of the 2018 preseason. Plus, the Vikings added Brett Jones, who is an elite pass blocker and who deserves a shot to start all season long on the line. If Riley Reiff can return to his career average play and Pat Elflein can return healthy and improve on his rookie season, the Vikings’ pass protection won’t just be good; it will be great.

And sure, this isn’t the Minnesota Moving Company, but our run blockers aren’t slouches either. They ranked 13th-best in team run blocking grade in 2017, and even if Joe Berger is gone, Dalvin Cook is back. Last year, despite any blocking shortcomings, Dalvin Cook had the sixth-best rushing success rate out of over 70 qualifying running backs.
GM Spielman:
  • Playoffs 1-3
Zimmer is 48-33-1
BBG

Post by BBG »

bubu dubu.

Post by bubu dubu. »

BBG wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:08 pm
so, why'd they activate Elf?
CasualObserverGuy

Post by CasualObserverGuy »

bubu dubu. wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:46 am
BBG wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:08 pm
so, why'd they activate Elf?
Really? Trying to be cute with your take I see lol
Jesus threw the money changers out of the Temple in Jerusalem. We need to throw the bankers out of Washington.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

No thanks. He didnt even play last season on a line featuring Mike Remmers and Tom Compton as starters.
Deep Purple

Post by Deep Purple »

If BJ couldn't beat out the losers we had on the O Line last year.......well..
D_B_U

Post by D_B_U »

Maybe for depth, but seeing he never played, I dont really see the benfit in bringing him back other than maybe he knows our system a bit...

Cant obviously fill the OL full of only rookies.
Da Gas Man

Post by Da Gas Man »

Here's why I don't take last year into account:

1. They were saving him as the backup center in case Elf went down. So they didn't want to play him at guard. Stupid, I know.

2. I truly think they played Remmers because he was making a lot of money and Compton because he is Cousins's buddy. And if that doesn't sound like a Minnesota sports team thing to do, you haven't been watching.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Da Gas Man wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:27 pm Here's why I don't take last year into account:

1. They were saving him as the backup center in case Elf went down. So they didn't want to play him at guard. Stupid, I know.

2. I truly think they played Remmers because he was making a lot of money and Compton because he is Cousins's buddy. And if that doesn't sound like a Minnesota sports team thing to do, you haven't been watching.
I don't know how anyone could really argue with these points.