Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Vikings trade for PFF star center Brett Jones

A place to discuss the MN Vikings
Stu Pedaso

Re: Vikings trade for PFF star center Brett Jones

Post by Stu Pedaso »

:lol:

F*cking back door Shurmur deal. Giants fans have every right to be a little suspicious.

Thanks Pat!!
hategreenticemase

Post by hategreenticemase »

The Flying Sendejo wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:19 pm
JPM wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:49 pm Won't matter 8-8 roughly.

1. Aaron Rodgers

Huge Gap

2. Matthew Stafford
3. Mitch Trubisky
4. Kirk Cousins
You are terrible at this. Just one load your mama shoulda swallowed.
Hey flying 4thbestoverallviking,

Actually Clark is quite good at it. He stirred up nitwits like no one else could back in the day. Sad part is about 10 years ago he was actually a good poster pre-bit.
Tommy_Hawk

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

:drinky:
Reetz wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:04 pm Madden rating = 67
Good Lookin' out, Homie
Trees Make Great Neighbors

Sir Cort Godfrey of the Nessie Alliance summoned the help of Scotland's local wizards to cast a protective spell over the lake for the peaceful existence of our underwater ally.
Tommy_Hawk

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

Will Jones be playing in this week 4 game? Any word on that? How long for a professional O-Lineman to get integrated into a new system?
Trees Make Great Neighbors

Sir Cort Godfrey of the Nessie Alliance summoned the help of Scotland's local wizards to cast a protective spell over the lake for the peaceful existence of our underwater ally.
Offsides 97 defense

Post by Offsides 97 defense »

hategreenticemase wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:54 pm
JPM wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:49 pm Won't matter 8-8 roughly.

1. Aaron Rodgers

Huge Gap

2. Matthew Stafford
3. Mitch Trubisky
4. Kirk Cousins

Actually Clark is quite good at it. He stirred up nitwits like no one else could back in the day. Sad part is about 10 years ago he was actually a good poster pre-bit.
I've been a part of Rube Chat since 03. And I don't ever remember Clark being good at anything sans getting boxed.
"Pickett"
"Sir yes sir"
"1800, Engineers, You go out and find mines"
Bleeds Purple

Post by Bleeds Purple »

Was this the trade PA was alluding to in the "Tradewinds Swirling" thread or is something more alluring/exciting waiting in the weeds for Vikings fans?

http://forum.mnrubecentral.com/viewtopi ... 11&t=11766
Face The Facts

Post by Face The Facts »

If he starts 5 games he's worth the 7th rounder.
Anytime you get a player who starts more than a couple games, you're money ahead on a 7th rounder on average.
Qman65

Post by Qman65 »

Let's get excited about a center who has done what?
"That's like uh, your opinion man"!
twgerber

Post by twgerber »

He started last year for the Giants and did decent from what I am reading. Maybe he remains at Center and Pat moves to LG when he comes back? I think Pat might be more suited to LG than this guy.
GM Spielman:
  • Record 62-48-2 (.559 winning %)
  • Playoffs 1-3
  • 7 years - reached playoffs 3 times.
  • Winner of the North 2 of last 4 years
Zimmer is 48-33-1
Stu Pedaso

Post by Stu Pedaso »

twgerber wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:40 am He started last year for the Giants and did decent from what I am reading. Maybe he remains at Center and Pat moves to LG when he comes back? I think Pat might be more suited to LG than this guy.

Thank-you coach gerber for your insightful breakdown of this situation. Hopefully someone can get your analysis to the Vikings coaching staff right away so they don't waste any more time with Elflein at center.

Good call.
PurpleFloyd

Post by PurpleFloyd »

DC4MVP wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:55 pm
twgerber wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:09 pm Nick Olson

@NicholasJOlson
12m12 minutes ago
More
Brett Jones was Pro Football Focus' 17th-ranked center in 2017. He ranked 5th in pass protection among starting centers but 21st in run blocking. He ranked 4th in pass blocking efficiency and third in pressures allowed among starting centers.
That doesn't bother me in the least.

Top 5 in pass pro...middle of the pack in run block?

:thumbsup:
He had terrible running backs last year which can hurt the rankings. Having our guys behind any OL can make them look better.
In Kwesi we trust.
hategreenticemase

Post by hategreenticemase »

The Flying Sendejo wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:41 pm
hategreenticemase wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:54 pm

I've been a part of Rube Chat since 03. And I don't ever remember Clark being good at anything sans getting boxed.
I'm a "give credit where credit is due" guy, so yes, have to give Clark his due - no one riles up the dummies as consistently and as easily as Clark. Plus the difference between Clark the other bits like DH, was Clark at least was sometimes entertaining and funny. The guy took pride in being the best bit at RC, at least as proud as a middle aged man whose primary function is pretending on the internets to piss off people he doesn't know, can be.
twgerber

Post by twgerber »

Stu Pedaso wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:01 am
twgerber wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:40 am He started last year for the Giants and did decent from what I am reading. Maybe he remains at Center and Pat moves to LG when he comes back? I think Pat might be more suited to LG than this guy.

Thank-you coach gerber for your insightful breakdown of this situation. Hopefully someone can get your analysis to the Vikings coaching staff right away so they don't waste any more time with Elflein at center.

Good call.
Analysis? Something you clearly don't understand. It was a question but of course you couldn't understand the ? symbol.
GM Spielman:
  • Playoffs 1-3
Zimmer is 48-33-1
Stu Pedaso

Post by Stu Pedaso »

twgerber wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:54 am
I think Pat might be more suited to LG than this guy.

There was no question mark here. Your analysis is that Elflein should move to LG and Jones should be our new center.

I mean isn't that what you just said?
Da Gas Man

Post by Da Gas Man »

Stu Pedaso wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:05 am

There was no question mark here. Your analysis is that Elflein should move to LG and Jones should be our new center.

I shouldn't get involved but anyway...... suggesting that Elflein would make a better LG than Jones is not suggesting that Elflein should move to LG. It is suggesting that if you don't have a LG and need to play both Jones and Elf at LG and Center - and that is your only option - you would be better suited with Elf at LG and Jones at Center than the other way around. Elf could be a far better Center than Jones and still Elf could be better suited for LG than Jones. They are not mutually exclusive.
twgerber

Post by twgerber »

Stu Pedaso wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:01 am

Good call.
You quoted the post above and it's a - I have highlighted it for you.
GM Spielman:
  • Playoffs 1-3
Zimmer is 48-33-1
twgerber

Post by twgerber »

See the sentence before your convenient editing of my complete post.
GM Spielman:
  • Playoffs 1-3
Zimmer is 48-33-1
twgerber

Post by twgerber »

Da Gas Man wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:23 am

I shouldn't get involved but anyway...... suggesting that Elflein would make a better LG than Jones is not suggesting that Elflein should move to LG. It is suggesting that if you don't have a LG and need to play both Jones and Elf at LG and Center - and that is your only option - you would be better suited with Elf at LG and Jones at Center than the other way around. Elf could be a far better Center than Jones and still Elf could be better suited for LG than Jones. They are not mutually exclusive.
Thank you for correctly understanding what I was getting after. I may not have phrased it well. Not sure why I deserved someone's smart arse reply for it though.
GM Spielman:
  • Playoffs 1-3
Zimmer is 48-33-1
Stu Pedaso

Post by Stu Pedaso »

If Pat is clearly the better player wouldn't it stand to reason he would be a better guard and center since they can play both positions?

And yes, he did suggest Brett would push Pat to guard. A conclusion he came to despite never knowing the guys name before yesterday, not having followed his career or watched any tape.

He based this off a few articles even though Brett only started because of an injury to the starter
And when the starter left in free agency, not only did Brett not win the job, but he wasn't even going to make the team.

But, now he should replace Pat as our starting center.

So the both of you see LG as more important than Center in our offense? SQ.
Deep Purple

Post by Deep Purple »

The Vikings need to buy Pat Sherman a steak dinner for basically giving us a quality offensive lineman who could very well be better than Easton. Pat you the man!
Stu Pedaso

Post by Stu Pedaso »

Deep Purple wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:05 am The Vikings need to buy Pat Sherman a steak dinner for basically giving us a quality offensive lineman who could very well be better than Easton. Pat you the man!
Agreed. I like the move. Great depth and he might even start at guard later in the season.
twgerber

Post by twgerber »

Stu Pedaso wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:57 am

If Pat is clearly the better player wouldn't it stand to reason he would be a better guard and center since they can play both positions?

And yes, he did suggest Brett would push Pat to guard. A conclusion he came to despite never knowing the guys name before yesterday, not having followed his career or watched any tape.

He based this off a few articles even though Brett only started because of an injury to the starter
And when the starter left in free agency, not only did Brett not win the job, but he wasn't even going to make the team.

But, now he should replace Pat as our starting center.

So the both of you see LG as more important than Center in our offense? SQ.
I suggested that it's something the coaches might consider. I have no idea if it would be a good idea or not. Wasn't trying to present it that way. My bad.

I just mentioned it as an idea as I am under the impression Pat has played more guard than the new guy has. And the new guy was competing for the Giants starting job but was let go for salary cap help it seems like from the NY articles.

If he can play center adequately and Pat can play LG better than anyone else can why not see if it might work?
GM Spielman:
  • Playoffs 1-3
Zimmer is 48-33-1
Da Gas Man

Post by Da Gas Man »

Stu Pedaso wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:14 am
Deep Purple wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:05 am The Vikings need to buy Pat Sherman a steak dinner for basically giving us a quality offensive lineman who could very well be better than Easton. Pat you the man!
Agreed. I like the move. Great depth and he might even start at guard later in the season.
I hope he starts at guard now - not because I think Jones is a great guard but I am really against Compton.
Stu Pedaso

Post by Stu Pedaso »

Because LG is your least valuable position and Pat was drafted to be your ten year starter at center.

That's why.

(Edit - response to gerber)
Last edited by Stu Pedaso on Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
twgerber

Post by twgerber »

Stu Pedaso wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:17 am Because LG is your least valuable position and Pat was drafted to be your ten year starter at center.

That's why.
ok. Just an idea.
GM Spielman:
  • Playoffs 1-3
Zimmer is 48-33-1
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

They needed to do something.. I'm slightly surprised it wasn't bringing in a veteran guy but I'm guessing they were so disappointed in Edison they needed another center ASAP.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
salamander

Post by salamander »

Reetz wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:04 pm Madden rating = 67
Only 62 awareness, PBK and RBK too. Yikes!
It's been 32 years since one of MN's four major sports teams has been to the Championship/Superbowl.
Every single year is failure until we win one. 4 teams, 32 years. That's roughly 128 consecutive failed seasons.
Oriole81

Post by Oriole81 »

HeHateMe wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:32 am They needed to do something.. I'm slightly surprised it wasn't bringing in a veteran guy but I'm guessing they were so disappointed in Edison they needed another center ASAP.
I'm sure this won't be the only move. They'll look at roster cuts this weekend too, but if this was a guy they actually liked, it's worth making the move now and giving up a low value asset to ensure you don't get sniped on waiver priority.

They can still sign or claim guys that get waived this weekend.
Hector

Post by Hector »

Bleeds Purple wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:02 pm Was this the trade PA was alluding to in the "Tradewinds Swirling" thread or is something more alluring/exciting waiting in the weeds for Vikings fans?

http://forum.mnrubecentral.com/viewtopi ... 11&t=11766

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum

Lol....no idea ;)
Thrillkill

Post by Thrillkill »

PurpleFloyd wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:19 am
DC4MVP wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:55 pm
twgerber wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:09 pm Nick Olson

@NicholasJOlson
12m12 minutes ago
More
Brett Jones was Pro Football Focus' 17th-ranked center in 2017. He ranked 5th in pass protection among starting centers but 21st in run blocking. He ranked 4th in pass blocking efficiency and third in pressures allowed among starting centers.
That doesn't bother me in the least.

Top 5 in pass pro...middle of the pack in run block?

:thumbsup:
He had terrible running backs last year which can hurt the rankings. Having our guys behind any OL can make them look better.
That's what I was thinking. They didn't draft a top 5 running back because they were good. 7th rounder for a serviceable backup is good value. For a legit starter is Stealman level good.