Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Vikings trade for PFF star center Brett Jones

A place to discuss the MN Vikings
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Re: Vikings trade for PFF star center Brett Jones

Post by RubeTube »

I really liked Brett Jones. In fact, I think he's better than Easton. I didn't get why he didn get his chance last year.

At the very least, he's a viable backup.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
hategreenticemase

Post by hategreenticemase »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:58 pm I really liked Brett Jones. In fact, I think he's better than Easton. I didn't get why he didn get his chance last year.

:lol:
hategreenticemase

HeHateMe wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:53 pm
Da Gas Man wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:27 pm Here's why I don't take last year into account:

1. They were saving him as the backup center in case Elf went down. So they didn't want to play him at guard. Stupid, I know.

2. I truly think they played Remmers because he was making a lot of money and Compton because he is Cousins's buddy. And if that doesn't sound like a Minnesota sports team thing to do, you haven't been watching.
I don't know how anyone could really argue with these points.
You would have to literally be as retarded as Rooboobracist (he just posted what a stud he is :lol: ) to think they didn't play him for any other reason than they didn't think he was good enough. Good God, dude, you are better than this.

Like I have said from say one, a major part of our issue is our staff with ol and it's inability to evaluate and strategize for best 5 groupings.

Either he really sucks or they were too stupid to figure out he would have improved a spot. There is no chance they didnt play him due to backing up C or Remmers contract.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Sergeant Rubetube wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:58 pm I really liked Brett Jones. In fact, I think he's better than Easton. I didn't get why he didn get his chance last year.

There was something the coaching staff did not like about him because if you cannot play in front of Tom Compton there is something wrong.

I liked the trade and was baffled by why he did not get on the field.

Another note, I was really disappointed by Danny Isadora. I thought he played well in his brief stints as a rookie but he was an even worse option last season.
Dude

Post by Dude »

Da Gas Man wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:27 pm Here's why I don't take last year into account:

1. They were saving him as the backup center in case Elf went down. So they didn't want to play him at guard. Stupid, I know.

2. I truly think they played Remmers because he was making a lot of money and Compton because he is Cousins's buddy. And if that doesn't sound like a Minnesota sports team thing to do, you haven't been watching.
If I believed that was true, I'd be pissed. You should too.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***

Post by RubeTube »

mlhouse wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:13 pm

There was something the coaching staff did not like about him because if you cannot play in front of Tom Compton there is something wrong.

Another note, I was really disappointed by Danny Isadora. I thought he played well in his brief stints as a rookie but he was an even worse option last season.
Liked Isadora too. There is some serious "Raw" talent to be had here. Hopefully the new coach gets it out of them.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

Dude wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:27 pm

If I believed that was true, I'd be pissed. You should too.
Yeah, I didn't say I was happy about it. I think it's damn true!
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Coaching staff felt Compton was better than him? And they refused to bench Remmers, isn't that the reasoning? Why else would you inquire on getting him back but not Compton or Remmers?
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

HeHateMe wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:17 am
April Fools?
Da Gas Man

Post by Da Gas Man »

HeHateMe wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:40 pm

Coaching staff felt Compton was better than him? And they refused to bench Remmers, isn't that the reasoning? Why else would you inquire on getting him back but not Compton or Remmers?
I think Remmers played because he was being paid big money and Compton played because he was Kirk's friend. I also think they were afraid that Elf would get injured and they didn't have a backup center so they didn't want to risk Jones at guard.

So they basically played worse guards to ensure a backup a center.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Da Gas Man wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:23 am

I think Remmers played because he was being paid big money and Compton played because he was Kirk's friend. I also think they were afraid that Elf would get injured and they didn't have a backup center so they didn't want to risk Jones at guard.

Yeah, I was agreeing with others who had the same take. Jones they wanted as a backup center and they felt obligated to continue to throw out the same guards week after week because of relationship/money.
Dude

Post by Dude »

HeHateMe wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:28 am

Yeah, I was agreeing with others who had the same take. Jones they wanted as a backup center and they felt obligated to continue to throw out the same guards week after week because of relationship/money.
I'm not saying you're wrong and it wouldn't surprise me if this was the reality, but this would be cause enough for me to fire Spielman and Zimmer if there was any truth to this.
hategreenticemase

Dude wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:41 pm

I'm not saying you're wrong and it wouldn't surprise me if this was the reality, but this would be cause enough for me to fire Spielman and Zimmer if there was any truth to this.
Here, let me help. The take of course is obviously wrong and is hilariously silly. The notion that an NFL head coach would WILLINGLY choose to NOT play a guy better than guys who are killing his team with shitty play all because "wanting a backup C" or because "other guys make too much money" is about as laughable as they come. Good God.

They didn't play him because either A. He isn't better than the slop they had out there, or more likely B. They mistakenly believed he isn't better than they are (which we have MUCH evidence of same fucking mistakes with this staff when it comes OL the past 5 years).

Make no mistake, also, it's fucking insane and asinine they didn't throw the fucker out there. It's insane they tried virtually NOTHING. I'm simply saying it's laughable to think they didn't for those other reasons.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

hategreenticemase wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:59 pm
Dude wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:41 pm

Here, let me help. The take of course is obviously wrong and is hilariously silly. The notion that an NFL head coach would WILLINGLY choose to NOT play a guy better than guys who are killing his team with shitty play all because "wanting a backup C" or because "other guys make too much money" is about as laughable as they come. Good God.

They didn't play him because either A. He isn't better than the slop they had out there, or more likely B. They mistakenly believed he isn't better than they are (which we have MUCH evidence of same fucking mistakes with this staff when it comes OL the past 5 years).

Make no mistake, also, it's fucking insane and asinine they didn't throw the fucker out there. It's insane they tried virtually NOTHING. I'm simply saying it's laughable to think they didn't for those other reasons.
You think this has never happened before? A guy reserve player is better than the guy in front of him but didn't play because of money? Never before? The Compton thing makes less sense.. let's play Kirk's guy because he's better than Jones but at this point nothing would surprise me. Remmers and Compton were bad and I'd rather see Jones or even Isidora get a shot going forward.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

HeHateMe wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:51 pm
You think this has never happened before? A guy reserve player is better than the guy in front of him but didn't play because of money? Never before? The Compton thing makes less sense.. let's play Kirk's guy because he's better than Jones but at this point nothing would surprise me. Remmers and Compton were bad and I'd rather see Jones or even Isidora get a shot going forward.
It doesn't happen very often and given the absolute poor play of both Compton and Remmers, that Jones did not get playing time is a bad sign.

WHile several posters here stated the opposite, the other mistake the VIkings made last season was not making a move at the trade deadline. They should have done whatever it took to find an addition to the line last season.
twgerber

Post by twgerber »

Maybe Jones is only a center. Not all lineman have position flexibility. I agree with others though - I wanted to see Isi get a shot last year.
GM Spielman:
  • Record 62-48-2 (.559 winning %)
  • Playoffs 1-3
  • 7 years - reached playoffs 3 times.
  • Winner of the North 2 of last 4 years
Zimmer is 48-33-1
Hector

Post by Hector »

https://thevikingage.com/2019/04/01/min ... ett-jones/

In three starts for Minnesota last season, Jones didn’t give up a single sack. Despite his solid efforts during the early part of the year, the Vikings opted to keep him on the bench even when other members of their interior offensive line were struggling.
mlhouse

Post by mlhouse »

Jones contract is minimal, $810,000 with $90,000 guaranteed at signing. At that level, it is actually a good signing just because of the C/G versatility he has.