Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

What the biggest need left? OG, #3 WR or depth at DE?

A place to discuss the MN Vikings

What's the biggest need left?

OG
32%
OT
61%
DE
No votes
WR
4%
RB
4%
S
No votes
LB
No votes

Total votes: 28

Hector

Re: What the biggest need left? OG, #3 WR or depth at DE?

Post by Hector »

HeHateMe wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:09 pm
Hector wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:01 pm I wouldn't be surprised if Elf slides over to guard and the Vikings take someone like Ragnow to man the center...he's probably going to slide further than the top guard prospects and was absolutely dominant at center for Arkansas....plus he's a Minnesota guy.
I've wondered about Ragnow... is it possible he plays guard?
He's listed as both but was dominant at center and Elf was dominant at RG...just a thought.
bombers3shooter

Post by bombers3shooter »

Don't understand why Wide Reciever is even an option. Was told by alot of rubes around here that our recievers made Case Keenum who he was last year and have read from a few others that now we have a legit franchise quarterback that should elevate all of our recievers. Shouldn't need to make a major investment if Kirk is the real deal here.
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member

Post by HeHateMe »

bombers3shooter wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:23 pm Don't understand why Wide Reciever is even an option. Was told by alot of rubes around here that our recievers made Case Keenum who he was last year and have read from a few others that now we have a legit franchise quarterback that should elevate all of our recievers. Shouldn't need to make a major investment if Kirk is the real deal here.
No Floyd or Wright means Treadwell is the only experience behind your starters. Then you have three guys with little to no experience so you'd assume there will be at least a couple more bodies added to this group. They certainly could use another speed guy.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

Hector wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:15 pm
Hector wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:01 pm I wouldn't be surprised if Elf slides over to guard and the Vikings take someone like Ragnow to man the center...he's probably going to slide further than the top guard prospects and was absolutely dominant at center for Arkansas....plus he's a Minnesota guy.
He's listed as both but was dominant at center and Elf was dominant at RG...just a thought.
Sign me up then.
thinktank wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
D_B_U

Post by D_B_U »

Offensive line will be key in the draft but I also am very open to BPA.

If someone falls to us at any position except for: QB,RB,TE,DE in the first round, I would be open to taking them.

I would love one of the ND lineman but doubt either fall. The Oklahoma kid might fall to us or some draft boards even have the CB Jackson from Iowa being available. I am under the notion that Waynes/Rhodes are our starter. I think you need to find someone that can play nickel CB.
My hope would be

OL- Rounds 1 and 2 and maybe a late flyer on a kid
CB- round 3 or late flyer. Can maybe add this later in free agency if anyone comes out. Really would have loved to bring in Mathieu
RB- Someone to replace Jet. 4th rounder type
DE- Need depth. If someone falls starting after round 3, try and snatch him up. They have ton a tremendous job finding talented guys late(Hunter, Bowyer)
DT- Round 2 or 3 depending on the OL/CB depth.
WR- No idea what to do here. We might need a guy or two but not willing to use a first 4 rounds pick and so either go free agency or see if you can find another diamond in the rough ala Diggs.
TE- I wouldnt mind getting another option for a guy who can catch. A Fumagali type maybe later?
LB- Need to start thinking about if we can keep Barr and Kendricks. If not, maybe a project who you can work up. Otherwise anyone we draft at this position is more for special teams/depth

QB- no need. Lets roll with Sloter as the 3rd guy
S- I have finally accepted that Sendejo is going to be the guy and thats ok with me. If we could have gotten Mathieu I would have been excited but AS is fine. Depth is fine
K-Maybe an undrafted free agent
P-All good.
Deep Purple

Post by Deep Purple »

Its the injury bug that is my biggest concern. Take into account that both of the last two seasons I doubt one offensive lineman was able to start every single game. With that in mind we need to stock up on both G and OT
VikingsVoice

Post by VikingsVoice »

HeHateMe wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:03 am

Sign me up then.
I'd much prefer Ragnow at the end of the 2nd or more likely 3rd than taking an OG at pick 30.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

VikingsVoice wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:23 pm

Sign me up then.
I'd much prefer Ragnow at the end of the 2nd or more likely 3rd than taking an OG at pick 30.
Yeah, I think if they identify a tackle they want, it will be in current spot or they drop back from 30 to get the guy. Good interior linemen are available in the second and third rounds, no question there.
cunningham

Post by cunningham »

I'd rather draft a quarterback in the 1st round than reach for a lineman. 2nd round corners usually don't make it in the long run. Late 1st round tackles might work out, but there will be serious issues.

If a quarterback falls I pray Spielman grabs one. I doubt it as everyone and their brother needs a quarterback right now, but if one did fall I hope we take that over a "need" position.
HeHateMe

Post by HeHateMe »

cunningham wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:55 am I'd rather draft a quarterback in the 1st round than reach for a lineman. 2nd round corners usually don't make it in the long run. Late 1st round tackles might work out, but there will be serious issues.

If a quarterback falls I pray Spielman grabs one. I doubt it as everyone and their brother needs a quarterback right now, but if one did fall I hope we take that over a "need" position.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
-VikingsTw-

Post by -VikingsTw- »

I doubt they reach for a Lineman in the 1st round.

I think there is a lot of value in the 2nd and 3rd rounds of this draft. I could see a trade back as a real possibility.

There is always a chance a guy they love falls to them then they don't move but after the 1st 2 tackles are gone I think you avoid drafting a tackle at 30, if they do it will probably be a reach unless the guy tears it up in the NFL.

I find it hard to believe they would draft a Guard in the 1st but you never know.

A trade back into the early 2nd gives more ammo to move up in the 2nd round or 3rd round. Just depends on how the cards fall.
Style

Post by Style »

HeHateMe wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:49 am
VikingsVoice wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:23 pm

Sign me up then.
Yeah, I think if they identify a tackle they want, it will be in current spot or they drop back from 30 to get the guy. Good interior linemen are available in the second and third rounds, no question there.
Let's pretend Calvin Ridley falls to 30. His combine performance scares teams off. Do we pull the trigger on him?

Round 1: WR - Ridley
Round 2: DT - Shepherd
Round 3: OG - Ragnow

Ridley is older (24) than most prospects. That element could also scare some teams off. Reports seem to suggest he's "NFL ready". This would also allow us to let Diggs walk while keeping Kendricks/Barr/Hunter/Waynes or some combination of the four.
“Juiceless = useless” - Pat Fitzgerald
Corre Ricky Corre

Post by Corre Ricky Corre »

Under no circumstances do I want to let Diggs walk. His injuries scare me but I am trying to keep him and Theilan together as long as possible. With Thielan's contract, this shouldn't be difficult.
D_B_U

Post by D_B_U »

-VikingsTw- wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:24 am I doubt they reach for a Lineman in the 1st round.

I think there is a lot of value in the 2nd and 3rd rounds of this draft. I could see a trade back as a real possibility.

There is always a chance a guy they love falls to them then they don't move but after the 1st 2 tackles are gone I think you avoid drafting a tackle at 30, if they do it will probably be a reach unless the guy tears it up in the NFL.

I find it hard to believe they would draft a Guard in the 1st but you never know.

A trade back into the early 2nd gives more ammo to move up in the 2nd round or 3rd round. Just depends on how the cards fall.
I think there are some lineman to be had late in Rd 1, but to your point if we feel like we can trade pack and add more picks, I am all for it.

Realistically we arent going to be adding a ton of players to this team, so if we can take a few more to look at and let the best earn there spot.

OL/CB would be focus for early rounds

WR/RB/LB- to add depth and potentially guys who in 2 years can be starters.
hategreenticemase

Post by hategreenticemase »

-VikingsTw- wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:24 am I doubt they reach for a Lineman in the 1st round.

I am simply no draft wonk so I dont know where the value is in terms of this years class. I do, however, bristle, at comments I see regularly on this site about "cant take a C in top 40 picks" or "taking a G in first is idiotic". Its so myopic. If with my first round pick I can get a guy who is the best at his position - sign me up. I am not refusing to acknowledge some basic tenants on certain positions are more valuable than others - obviously LT is more important than G, WR is more important than RB etc. But again, this notion you cant use a 1st rd pick on a G is hogwash.

I believe this year we are almost forced to be locked into a T with first pick, and this year is a rare time I would be ok trading up to get at a top 2-3 Tackle. This is for two reasons. One, I strongly believe we MUST get a starting T and starting G. Getting Cousins and Richardson has tied are hands - we have to do it via draft now, which is ok, and a tolerable reality as tradeoff for the great two players we acquired via FA. I cant rely on getting a bona fide T other than with that top pick, so I identify 3 Tackles I know can day one start, and then I make a trade as things unfold to guarantee I get one of them. I target G with my 2nd pick knowing I have a decent shot to get a starter there as well.
weimy froob

Post by weimy froob »

i think the o-line is the biggest need. i also think that when you've got the "pieces in place" like cousins said in his presser that you also tweek your drafting philosophy to fill that need. they're not in rebuild mode where you should definitely draft the best football player available when you pick. spielman needs to trade either up or down if he has to to fill this need.

i also read the headline in the strib today that they are indeed looking to draft o-linemen. so that is good.

Mock draft roundup 2.0: Offensive linemen still pegged to Vikings at No. 30
Last edited by weimy froob on Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hornets

Post by Hornets »

You wanna know what the biggest need is now? I'll tell ya....the biggest need is for this roster to play with a chip on their shoulder next season due mostly in part to the bitch slap they received the last 6 quarters of their 2017-18 season. I'm sure there are many teams who feel the 13-3 record was a smoke and mirrors type deal that was exposed when the going got tough in the playoffs. Zimmer has to slap any ovah confidence outta this group from day 1 and really get afta it. If any complacency sets in (see 2010-11) this team could be in for a free fall, and otha than a boatload of unforeseen injuries this is a team that should win 11-12 games easily....LET'S PLAY!
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
-VikingsTw-

Post by -VikingsTw- »

hategreenticemase wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:47 pm

I am simply no draft wonk so I dont know where the value is in terms of this years class. I do, however, bristle, at comments I see regularly on this site about "cant take a C in top 40 picks" or "taking a G in first is idiotic". Its so myopic. If with my first round pick I can get a guy who is the best at his position - sign me up. I am not refusing to acknowledge some basic tenants on certain positions are more valuable than others - obviously LT is more important than G, WR is more important than RB etc. But again, this notion you cant use a 1st rd pick on a G is hogwash.

I believe this year we are almost forced to be locked into a T with first pick, and this year is a rare time I would be ok trading up to get at a top 2-3 Tackle. This is for two reasons. One, I strongly believe we MUST get a starting T and starting G. Getting Cousins and Richardson has tied are hands - we have to do it via draft now, which is ok, and a tolerable reality as tradeoff for the great two players we acquired via FA. I cant rely on getting a bona fide T other than with that top pick, so I identify 3 Tackles I know can day one start, and then I make a trade as things unfold to guarantee I get one of them. I target G with my 2nd pick knowing I have a decent shot to get a starter there as well.
I agree about taking certain position in the 1st round, aside from probably kicker and punter.

The year we drafted Ponder I pounded the table for Mike Pouncey at #12. A center at twelve was a little unheard of but he became a legit NFL starter.
hategreenticemase

Post by hategreenticemase »

-VikingsTw- wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:06 pm
hategreenticemase wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:47 pm

I agree about taking certain position in the 1st round, aside from probably kicker and punter.

The year we drafted Ponder I pounded the table for Mike Pouncey at #12. A center at twelve was a little unheard of but he became a legit NFL starter.
Yes, clearly certain positions are exempt like P and K. When you are picking 30 type range a G or C can be a great pick as again, you possibky could get the best one in the draft. Again, I believe we are so close to assembling best team we have had in a long time that I would give up a lot to acquire an elite tackle. Trade up!